GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The examples are legion, but here's one for the record:

from the link:

In a blunt and scathing ruling, District Judge Louis Sturns said Anderson acted to defraud the trial court and Morton’s defense lawyers, resulting in an innocent man serving almost 25 years in prison.

“This court cannot think of a more intentionally harmful act than a prosecutor’s conscious choice to hide mitigating evidence so as to create an uneven playing field for a defendant facing a murder charge and a life sentence,” Sturns said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/ken-anderson-court-of-inquiry-resumes/nXRLm/

That case was in Williamson County, TX. The DA in that case was Ken Anderson.

This case is in Cobb County, GA. The DA in this case is Vic Reynolds.

I haven't read any media reports that suggest DA Vic Reynolds is corrupt or anything less than above reproach. I looked up his record a few days ago. Although recently elected (2 years ago) his record thus far is exemplary.

I've read nothing at all that would lead me to be suspicious that this DA's office would participate in a scheme to suppress exculpatory evidence.

I understand it happens and has happened in other counties/states, but, IMO, unless there is evidence to support such speculation in this particular case or regarding this particular DA's office, I think it's reckless to suggest such a scenario.

I'm not saying that's what you were doing when providing info on that case in TX, just pointing out that just because the DA's office in that case was corrupt, doesn't mean all DA's offices are corrupt.

The yelling "omg what have I done" seems theatrical to me, jmo...

I think if they had been told this by RH they would have said so. They clearly quote what he said elsewhere. They say they 'received information'. To me this suggests the information came from a source that was not RH's statement.

:moo:

You could be right, but I am just going by the warrant.

That depends. It's been stated that he's an IT guy. People in IT positions don't always work "normal" hours. I rarely do. Also, an explanation of the less than 8-hour day - speaking from my own personal IT experience - if I've worked MORE than a typical 8-hour day working on an IT emergency (happens often), I only work half-a-day on another day(s) in that week or pay period so as not to go over 40 hours/week. As a non-exempt employee, I'm not allowed to work over 40 hours w/o compensation. I get the option of overtime OR working shorter days. Not defending him, just offering my opinion on his work hours (or lack thereof) on that day. MOO.

Based on the description of his job off the Home Depot website, his position did not include IT calls, in a call center sense. There are a billion people at that office that have his same position. I think it's doubtful he would have to work off hours on a normal basis. The web developers in the Dallas office have a normal corporate office work week. There are IT positions that specifically deal with troubleshooting calls and web developers/software engineers aren't the ones who do that.

I was going to reply earlier to a discussion that was going on in this thread this morning, and wasn’t sure if it was relevant enough or if I should post it or not, but I will go ahead just in case it helps clarify about the CPR. So here goes.

I agree that reason would dictate that you don’t perform CPR on an obviously dead person, but the general public isn’t qualified to make that determination, and due to legalities I imagine that is why CPR is always advised. Even attending paramedics are required to perform CPR first until advised otherwise by their superiors.

From personal experience, I can also confirm this. The day before my husband died (3 1/2 years ago), I was told by the Fire chief and paramedics who attended my home that I had to get a DNR in place immediately, or they would have to perform CPR on him even if he had passed away by the time I called. They told me that it is protocol, and not a situation we wanted to find ourselves in, because it would involve forceful CPR and breaking of ribs :( When we arrived at the hospital, the Dr. and nurses told me the same thing. I hadn't signed the form before, because I didn't want to give up hope, even though I knew he wasn't going to get better. That day I signed the form. He died at home that night, and it was apparent to me in the morning when I woke up on the couch next to his hospital bed. I knew right away just from seeing his face. It was quite obvious. :( He died in his sleep, and I did not perform CPR. His death was expected, from a progressive disease that left him completely paralyzed and dependent on machines to eat and breathe. However, prior to the signing of the DNR- I was still in "save mode" and would have done CPR or anything to try to save him, until the Dr. finally convinced me I had to let go.

I called the nursing agency who visited our home that morning after my kids left for school (I was in shock, and felt it was better to get them out of the house without letting on what had happened until it was confirmed.) Apparently they hadn't received a copy of the DNR in time and told me they would have to call 911 and they would come and perform CPR. Even though I explained that his colour was quite off and he likely passed away several hours earlier during the night (I estimate 7 hours earlier, because although he was on full oxygen, none of his extremities registered on the pulse oximeter I used to check his O2 levels before I went to sleep, and we all knew it was just a matter of time.) I couldn't bring myself to touch him that morning, so I couldn't say if he was stiff :( I just knew immediately from looking at him.

Fortunately, I was able to get ahold of his Dr., who came to the house to declare him dead, and that avoided the CPR. He told me that if he hadn't been able to come, Fire, ambulance, and police would have had to come and do CPR and make a full report. This is exactly what happened to a neighbour who died of a heart attack recently.

I don't know why they can't just check for the obvious signs and declare the person dead. I guess to avoid being sued. I haven't researched it, I just know that is the procedure in Ontario, and it seems to be the case elsewhere as well.

PS, there was no smell that I detected, but most likely because my nose was used to certain smells, such as infected sores/feces. Also, he had been laying there without being moved. When the funeral home attendants arrived, they were very careful when moving him and even then I don't recall a distinctive odour. However- this was in a ventilated room temperature house in winter, not inside a hot vehicle baking. Those conditions surely would accelerate decomposition and IMO there would be some odour. I've smelled odours in my van after food scraps have been left in the little garbage for several hours.

IMO Cooper's Dad should have noticed a smell when he entered his vehicle, and that should have triggered his memory about his son being there. He would have been hit by the wave of heat and odour that escapes when you open a vehicle door on a hot day. When he did finally realize his son was there, he should have been able to tell immediately that his son was dead as soon as he saw him. IMO it would have been obvious just from looking at his son, especially when he picked him up. Even if he was in denial, the reality would have snapped him to his senses. Regardless, 911 would have advised any bystander to perform CPR until paramedics arrived to take over, simply because random citizens aren't qualified to make that determination of "well, this baby is obviously dead so I'm not going to try", and they can’t risk not trying to save someone. A qualified medical professional would have to attend and make that call after their own attempts to revive the person. Many times people have been revived by CPR after a being briefly deceased, but in this case the operator would not have known how long the baby had been deceased. Even if CPR was started before the call was made, it would be instinctive to try and revive someone.

I also can’t imagine him walking away to make calls while someone else took over CPR. I guess that adds to the behaviour that made witnesses and LE suspicious. IMO most parents would be at their child’s side, trying to assist in any way possible.

(((hugs))) I too know from experience you must have DNR in place or CPR will be performed. I was instructed by hospice to call them for assistance after my husband passed.

The amount of time a child can be left in a hot car is zero minutes. Kind of like looking up how many stories up a child on a ledge would have to fall in order to die. You don't put a child in either situation, ever, for any period of time.

How was able to call ANYONE? I was in a car accident on the highway and so rattled I couldn't handle my phone to call 911 and gave it to someone else to do it for me. So he's on the phone calling people? That is messed up IMO.

So you were too rattled to call 911 and had someone else do it, but Harris requesting someone else to call 911 seems odd to a lot of posters here.

Personally, I think it's very smart to get someone less in shock to call 911, and it's what the Red Cross recommends in that situation. So good that you had the sense to do that. And good Harris also had that same idea.

Because by all accounts Harris wasn't making any sense at all at that time.

Agree. Photo of mom, dad, Cooper I saw looked like mom had gained considerable weight since 2006 marriage when she was taking nutrition classes. I've seen nothing that says she got a degree and or even worked in that field. She worked part time. I do wonder where she worked. Based on seeing her weight gain and hubby's chubby and understanding the obesity problem in the south I don't imagine they were eating healthy foods regularly.

Agreed. Fast food is bad for you, sitting unattended in a hot car is a lot worse. They had knowledge of the dangers.

Rather than presenting this as an internet rumor, I will present this hypothetical: suppose Ross was going to meet his friends and then was supposed to pick up Cooper at day care. Seems strange to me the timing of that, since day care closes at 6, but that might give people some different food for thought as to the whole who/when of pickup that day.

Especially if he was going for drinks with the guys before he picked up his baby, and drove him in the car.

So you were too rattled to call 911 and had someone else do it, but Harris requesting someone else to call 911 seems odd to a lot of posters here.

Personally, I think it's very smart to get someone less in shock to call 911, and it's what the Red Cross recommends in that situation. So good that you had the sense to do that. And good Harris also had that same idea.

It also makes sense to me to have someone less rattled do the CPR:)

I am ridiculously holistic with my children. They eat whole, organic foods. They play with wood, made in the EU or US toys. They have minimal plastic toys (gifts from others), they drink from glass or stainless steel, eat on plates like normal people vs plastic plates. We exercise, garden, play outside regularly. TV is very limited. Extended breastfeeding, cosleeping, natural birth - you name it.

HOWEVER, my kids are allowed to have CERTAIN fast foods. Once a week, I take them to Chick Fil A. I don't allow them to have McD's or anything like that, and they can have Coca Cola at birthday parties and stuff. I don't want them to be 'weirdos' or unable to relate to other kids, so while I don't keep processed foods or fizzy drinks in my house, I believe in moderation.

JMO, but I don't think her being a dietician/nutritionist would mean her child never ate fast food. Neither of the parents look to be in some kind of prime physique to where I would think that they don't regularly indulge in junk.

You are absolutely on point - thank you! :)

The fact that he couldn't call 911 but he could make other calls on his phone.

He is diabetic?

that's the big question mark.....I have added another link to my original post about the link between low t, diabetes and forgetfulness.

as I said in my quote: I could be really wrong and it's just my hunch but could explain his behavior that day

not excusing but could be an ''aggravating factor''

we do know he was low T from evidence garnered earlier via comments made by his wife

BBM. Not exactly. The Red Cross recommends you ask someone else to call 911 while you are attempting CPR, because presumably if you are doing CPR your hands are not free to call and you are occupied. Ross was not in the middle of performing CPR when he asked someone to call for him.

Based on the description of his job off the Home Depot website, his position did not include IT calls, in a call center sense. There are a billion people at that moffice that have his same position. I think it's doubtful he would have to work off hours on a normal basis. The web developers in the Dallas office have a normal corporate office work week. There are IT positions that specifically deal with troubleshooting calls and web developers/software engineers aren't the ones who do that.

BBM. Yes, I know that. :smile: And, ITA. I posted about web dev vs IT guys/gals upthread. I do not think he is an IT guy either. But I have seen him referred as such, so I just thought I would mention that as a possible explanation to his hours that day. At my job, the web devs have worked beyond a typical 8-hr day on many occasions...some urgent website issue, where the site is rendered unusable. Same as me, they can get compensated w/OT or they can choose to work a shorter day(s) during the pay period. Thanks for the info on the web devs at he Dallas office. So, I guess we can assume he worked a normal corporate schedule ?? HD being a huge company, that makes sense.

that's the big question mark.....I have added another link to my original post about the link between low t, diabetes and forgetfulness.

as I said in my quote: I could be really wrong and it's just my hunch but could explain his behavior that day

not excusing but could be an ''aggravating factor''

we do know he was low T from evidence garnered earlier via comments made by his wife

He's pretty young to have Type 2, but it is definitely possible.

It also makes sense to me to have someone less rattled do the CPR:)

As I understand it, and this could be wrong, first responders were on the scene nearly immediately because they were in the area and noticed the commotion. It seems unlikely Harris had good knowledge of CPR (don't know that for a fact) and would quickly give that job to anyone who might know better.

Certainly in CPR classes you're taught that - if someone is a physician or EMT or something like that on sight, turn it over to them. Also, if you are properly and recently trained in CPR you say "I know CPR" immediately so someone kind of fumbling through the process will let you take over.

That he relinquished that job to someone else is normal procedure.

BBM. Not exactly. The Red Cross recommends you ask someone else to call 911 while you are attempting CPR, because presumably if you are doing CPR your hands are not free to call and you are occupied. Ross was not in the middle of performing CPR when he asked someone to call for him.

you are correct AND you do not stop until medical professional arrives (I believe he stopped before first responders arrived IIRC) wasn't it a bystander who took over?

You could be right, but I am just going by the warrant.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/06/25/Justin_Harris_14w5669-2.pdf

During lunch said accused did access the same vehicle through the driver's side door
to place an object into the vehicle. Said accused then closed the door and left the car, re-entering his place of business

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/warrant-father-who-left-child-hot-car-checked-vehi/ngR9s/

Three hours later, the warrant said Harris was seen going back to his car, opening the driver’s door and placing something inside before heading back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr