GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Covering Cooper again on Nancy Grace right now.

Has the date for the hearing been changed to tomorrow, Wed, July 2? I thought it was on Thu, July 3. Or is today Wed instead of Tue? I'm off work this week, so all the days are blurred, lol.

If he has so many supporters, including his wife, did they bail him out?
Sorry if already discussed.

tlyca

Who remembers the man who used his key fob to physically turn off the motion detector alarm three different times or until he felt assured his child was expired inside his hot car? He used his key fob three different times to turn off the motion sensor detection when it warned him there was movement inside his vehicle. B word.

I just read about him the the WaPo article popsicle posted.

He was acquitted.

Has the date for the hearing been changed to tomorrow, Wed, July 2? I thought it was on Thu, July 3. Or is today Wed instead of Tue? I'm off work this week, so all the days are blurred, lol.

It is on Thursday. :floorlaugh:

If he has so many supporters, including his wife, did they bail him out?
Sorry if already discussed.

He's being held without bond. But that could change on Thursday when the probable cause hearing

Wow. I didn't watch the video, but read the lengthy article. Very thought-provoking.

No one is going to like what I have to say here.

I read the whole thing, too. It is intense and yes, thought provoking. It does support my belief that sometimes accidents can happen. Sometimes, hideous tragedies can happen to incredibly good parents. Including forgetting a baby who is left to broil to death in a car.

I clearly remember the case of the Irvine professor. I remember when that happened and have been thinking about it since this case made the news. I felt horrified by what had happened and horrified for the professor when it occurred. I did not think he should've been prosecuted and I was glad when he was not. That man was destroyed by his forgetfulness. It was awful.

I especially liked this part of the article:
Hickling is a clinical psychologist from Albany, N.Y., who has studied the effects of fatal auto accidents on the drivers who survive them. He says these people are often judged with disproportionate harshness by the public, even when it was clearly an accident, and even when it was indisputably not their fault. Humans, Hickling said, have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible.
In hyperthermia cases, he believes, the parents are demonized for much the same reasons. “We are vulnerable, but we don’t want to be reminded of that. We want to believe that the world is understandable and controllable and unthreatening, that if we follow the rules, we’ll be okay. So, when this kind of thing happens to other people, we need to put them in a different category from us. We don’t want to resemble them, and the fact that we might is too terrifying to deal with. So, they have to be monsters.” http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html
I've often had that thought - that people are unduly harsh regarding various cases - usually instantly blaming parents when their kids get kidnapped, for not watching them properly, for example - because it creates an illusion of safety that it can never happen to them. I just never saw a psychologist support that feeling.

But let me also say this: None of what is in that article, none of what I read there, changes my mind about the father in this case and his culpability.

---Research on hot car deaths of children a day or so before his baby died in a hot car.

---3 separate contacts with his child, in the span of an hour from when he "forgot", placing him in and taking him out of the car he eventually left him in. 3, separate contacts involving his baby and his car, that very morning.

---3 minutes. 3 Minutes.

I'm sorry. There's no way. This case shares nothing with those featured in the articles, except that a baby died in a hot car.

Yes, sadly it does happen. When it does, I say the parent should be charged with manslaughter. But in THIS case, it was planned by both parents and poorly executed, i'm going with murder 1. (or murder 2 if i must)

Justin Ross Harris is lying. All his actions reveal deception, every step of the way.
Think it through, it's an on-site day care, that he uses every day. Even IF he forgot to drop him off, did he also forget to pick him up? He pulls the child from the car onto the hot asphalt, the child is clearly in rigor with his legs sticking up as if seated, and tells people he needs help, that the child is choking. He performs cpr on the stiff, dead, child. Why did he drive away before the 'big find'? Because he didn't want to do it in front of his job. JMO

As of now, I'm thrilled with the way the charges are being done. By going with 2nd degree child abuse they don't have to prove Harris did this on purpose, just that his actions were criminally negligent and caused excessive physical or mental pain.

1st degree child abuse is a 5-20 year sentence. 2nd degree is a 1-10 year bid. But it doesn't matter. If Cobb can convince a jury Harris is guilty of either child abuse, in essence they've also proven the felony murder (which carries a mandatory life sentence, I believe). They don't have to prove intent/motive/etc.

16-5-1(c) is the felony murder statute and reads, "A person also commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice."

When the attempt to defend this man becomes exaggerated to the absurd, it makes me sad for this child. It's unfair, so unfair to that Baby, to the horrific, unimaginable pain he suffered.

If there are logical, honest points that defend the Dad, okay. But we all know the difference when sweeping exaggerations are posted as fact. It just morphs into a game. This is no game.

I can hardly think of the minutes ticking away in that car, and the fear and pain of that tiny little guy with no one to help him, just strapped there, helpless.

I am catching up from the previous thread, but I couldn't just leave this post with a "thanks."

:clap:

Been reading along, first time to post.

First thing...I believe RH is guilty. No way he didn't see little
Cooper when he went to the car at lunch. I can see into the car in the photos taken in the lot where Cooper was "discovered."

In defense of Leanna...[modsnip]. I think LH had this in mind when she said it would be selfish to want Cooper "back." I believe she is in a state of shock and mourning, and is probably grasping at hope that he is safe and happy, especially since his death was likely painful and terrifying.

Maybe RH had left Cooper in the car before, and they'd argued about it. Maybe she researched 'kids in cars' to validate the dangers and strengthen her argument against it. She looks very loving in the photos where she is holding Cooper, and I can't believe she had anything to do with this atrocity.

And as for her words of support for RH, I think she is just in denial. They were alone together for 6 years before Cooper was born and probably very happy. She can't believe RH could do this. I expect after more info is released on Thursday, she will be far LESS supportive. She's just in shock.

And regarding the red casket: most of the photos I have seen of the Harris's have some reference to the University of Alabama. Alabama football fans are RABID. I grew up in Alabama and saw it firsthand (fortunately I escaped). The casket was red for the Crimson Tide! It would have been orange and blue if they were rabid Auburn fans. It will seem atrocious to you who don't know how some people's lives revolve around football. Tasteless and tacky, yes, but not surprising.

Cooper was probably very inconvenient for his Dad at tail-gating parties. May have even made him alter his plans from time to time. Probably couldn't have the guys over on game day like he used to. Yes, RH is a narcissist. And I believe a heartless murderer.

Attachments

• 1403805035961.jpg
    1403805035961.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 76
As of now, I'm thrilled with the way the charges are being done. By going with 2nd degree child abuse they don't have to prove Harris did this on purpose, just that his actions were criminally negligent and caused excessive physical or mental pain.

1st degree child abuse is a 5-20 year sentence. 2nd degree is a 1-10 year bid. But it doesn't matter. If Cobb can convince a jury Harris is guilty of either child abuse, in essence they've also proven the felony murder (which carries a mandatory life sentence, I believe). They don't have to prove intent/motive/etc.

16-5-1(c) is the felony murder statute and reads, "A person also commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice."

Exactly. I think the charges will change as the investigation unfolds.

Thank you for that explanation. It actually made sense to me, lol!

Welcome to all of our new posters-thank you for everything you are bringing to this discussion!

Hi all, just registered but I've been lurking around here over 2 years now :blushing:

The main thing in this case that has me scratching my head right now, is the comment from police that Cooper may not have even been in the car at 9am. I have been wracking my brain trying to guess how they are thinking he could have ended up left in that car. I feel this is perhaps the most puzzling statement (of many) to come out so far.

The whole thing is baffling right now though, very eager to see what happens on Thursday.

I read the whole thing, too. It is intense and yes, thought provoking. It does support my belief that sometimes accidents can happen. Sometimes, hideous tragedies can happen to incredibly good parents. Including forgetting a baby who is left to broil to death in a car.

I clearly remember the case of the Irvine professor. I remember when that happened and have been thinking about it since this case made the news. I felt horrified by what had happened and horrified for the professor when it occurred. I did not think he should've been prosecuted and I was glad when he was not. That man was destroyed by his forgetfulness. It was awful.

I especially liked this part of the article: I've often had that thought - that people are unduly harsh regarding various cases - usually instantly blaming parents when their kids get kidnapped, for not watching them properly, for example - because it creates an illusion of safety that it can never happen to them. I just never saw a psychologist support that feeling.

But let me also say this: None of what is in that article, none of what I read there, changes my mind about the father in this case and his culpability.

---Research on hot car deaths of children a day or so before his baby died in a hot car.

---3 separate contacts with his child, in the span of an hour from when he "forgot", placing him in and taking him out of the car he eventually left him in. 3, separate contacts involving his baby and his car, that very morning.

---3 minutes. 3 Minutes.

I'm sorry. There's no way. This case shares nothing with those featured in the articles, except that a baby died in a hot car.

Interesting post, Gitana. Did you read the part about the guy whose car alarm motion detector went off 3 times and three times he got up and looked at the car, didn't see a problem, and turned the alarm off? The Post treated him (and I believe the law treated him) as if it were purely accidental - and to me, that guy had more chance to remember than Harris did. Yet he's held blameless.

And I think he didn't remember. I really do. I think he didn't put the motion detector together with the fact his baby was in the car.

Which actually makes it worse. It's worse that he was given THREE signals. Just as Harris had the chance to see his baby at noon, but didn't. That's worse than not having a close call with almost saving the child.

---3 minutes. 3 Minutes.

Respectfully snipped by me.

Loved your post and your analysis is spot on as usual.

What do you mean by 3 minutes?

:sigh: you guys have gone and done it again, filled a thread and started a fresh one all while my boss was burying me with work to prepare for his vacation in a few weeks.

I am getting tired of trying to keep up with this case and the flying threads at the end of the day. It's become a second dang job. So you know what I did? I took tomorrow, my birthday and the fourth off so I could have FIVE days to follow this case and not be worried about pesky ole work.

Any fresh news today or are y'all just rehashing and re-examining what we already have? TIA for any brief update on any breaking news I missed today.

:cupcake::party::bdsurprise::bdscroll::fireworks: :fireworks2:

Been reading along, first time to post.

First thing...I believe RH is guilty. No way he didn't see little
Cooper when he went to the car at lunch. I can see into the car in the photos taken in the lot where Cooper was "discovered."

In defense of Leanna...most Christians believe that Heaven is a beautiful, happy, safe place that makes our world seem horrid. I think LH had this in mind when she said it would be selfish to want Cooper "back." I believe she is in a state of shock and mourning, and is probably grasping at hope that he is safe and happy, especially since his death was likely painful and terrifying.

Maybe RH had left Cooper in the car before, and they'd argued about it. Maybe she researched 'kids in cars' to validate the dangers and strengthen her argument against it. She looks very loving in the photos where she is holding Cooper, and I can't believe she had anything to do with this atrocity.

And as for her words of support for RH, I think she is just in denial. They were alone together for 6 years before Cooper was born and probably very happy. She can't believe RH could do this. I expect after more info is released on Thursday, she will be far LESS supportive. She's just in shock.

And regarding the red casket: most of the photos I have seen of the Harris's have some reference to the University of Alabama. Alabama football fans are RABID. I grew up in Alabama and saw it firsthand (fortunately I escaped). The casket was red for the Crimson Tide! It would have been orange and blue if they were rabid Auburn fans. It will seem atrocious to you who don't know how some people's lives revolve around football. Tasteless and tacky, yes, but not surprising.

Cooper was probably very inconvenient for his Dad at tail-gating parties. May have even made him alter his plans from time to time. Probably couldn't have the guys over on game day like he used to. Yes, RH is a narcissist. And I believe a heartless murderer.

Welcome to WS!

:wagon:

Yay! More new members!

Welcome rollingstone and Fairy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors