Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you "didn't" think so.

Maybe that's why, when I signed up here yesterday, that "that" name just popped into my head! Not thinking with all the publicity with this case, that it was probably being used by others.

Earlier, I saw a snippit on TV and it said Nancy Grace is covering this case again tonight. That is, unless it gets bumped by the hostage release but I'll be watching.

"sounds more to me like a girl who may be , ahem, "dating" (cough cough) a cop. "

I'm laughing!:laugh: :laugh: And you may be right.....:)

Maybe Sam just asked Ben to be his "alibi" and say they were together doing some undercover work or what we call "off-duty" work - when in reality - Sam and Ben were NOT together and Sam did the deed alone. Just used Ben as his alibi, you know, "Hey, say that we were together working on an undercover basis." Did that make sense?

That makes sense, less. Hopefully that's all Ben's involvement is, for his sake.

Snipped...

Here is a little conundrum in the case that I have noticed, with Ben telling the investigators they were both off that Wed night - comes another bit of information:

"It's reported he told GBI investigators both he and Sgt. Sam Parker were off duty the night of Theresa Parker's disappearance when they were actually on duty; according to LaFayette Police Chief Tommy Freeman". Jade #300

So if this is true and this 'whatever happened' with Ben took place when they were being paid by the city, it bites a bit deeper. And I see the info came to Jade as 'they', so I guess we don't have to pussyfoot around about Sam.

Scandi

Scandi,

Have another look at the website that the information comes from on post #300. I don't believe this is a legitimate website. (www.nooga.com). I had a close look at it and all of the news "reported" appears to be second hand and very amateur. (Any news website that has a "fart button" on it deserves to be questioned IMO). It is owned by a single individual and when I googled that person's name he describes himself as "webmaster" - so it appears to be a private website. Also, there was a ton of pop up crap that came up while I was on the site or tried to pop up but my blocker stopped. Afterwards I felt compelled to run Adaware and Spybot and I ran them this morning so I know my system was "clean" - it found 39 items! Experience has taught me its always a good idea to question sources of information.

So I then went to see if I could find a transcript of the news conference as I know they addressed this issue. I couldn't find one so I went back and listened to the news conference and if you go to part #4, about 3 minutes into it, it is clearly stated that neither Parker or Chaffin were working that day.

Bottom line - I believe they were not working or scheduled to work that Wednesday and this has nothing to do with the false statement Chaffin is accused of making. (IMO). Hope this helps clear things up.

I'm glad you "didn't" think so.

Snipped...

Earlier, I saw a snippit on TV and it said Nancy Grace is covering this case again tonight. That is, unless it gets bumped by the hostage release but I'll be watching.

Ahhh, so you are a fan.:p In that case I hope you didn't take offense to my earlier posting. In all honesty if I had access to a TV, I'd probably watch as well. Her show is kind of like a car accident, you know you shouldn't look, but...

Shall I go back to referring to you as NG instead of NGC?;) (just kidding, I'll stick to NGC)

ETA: Don't forget to give us an update of the show!

Utopia,

Nooga.Com is a legitimate place to find news in the Tennessee/Georgia area. It is not a TV Station or a Newspaper tho. They tend to cover things more off the wall and sometimes, in the rush to be first, they have not been as accurate but other times, you get the real story here and not what is given to the media.

I agree with you about the pop-up's and such. Very annoying! But if I want to know something and don't want it sugar-coated, I always check Nooga and then confirm with other sources later when they have the story.

And no, I'm not a NG fan. Never watch her but will because she's covering this story. Okay, I confess, I have watched before. Some when she was covering Natalie Holloway.....but still not a fan.

Wasn't offended at all.....really....:)

DD- too funny! My Hubby thinks "the mask" is his real face, and he is very proud of it! So good to hear from someone who doesn't look at me as is I were speaking Venutian when I say that !
See you at lunch!

Susan

TGIR,
Is your hubby LE as well? Yes, the "mask" is hard to take off at times, especially when having 24 hr duties...

I wrote a response to your earlier question on my lunch break and then our server went down. I just came back to see if it happened to post on a fluke, and no it didn't. So all my wonderful thoughts are gone, LOL.

To make what was a long answer more brief, how do I feel about errant LEOs? Just as you would imagine. I mean that very sincerely. Good officers don't like working with, nor defending, officers that don't carry their job responsibilities, or who bring discredit to them. There is something to be said for helping out at times, but there's also a time when "hey, bud, you're an idiot and you're on your own." Much of my current job now is to ensure consistency and reasonableness in disciplinary actions handed down. Trying to ensure the punishment fits the crime, literally and figuratively. When our agency has conducted proper, thorough and complete investigations, and all involved parties were treated with respect and given the opportunities to share their sides of the story, I can go home at the end of the day and not lose sleep over it. Usually it's pretty cut and dry. There are some times when I don't necessarily agree with the final resolution, but that's okay, I'm just one of about 7 that must make a recommendation - and they wonder why the wheels of justice move so slowly, haha. We can recommend and push for termination and legal conviction when it's warranted, and I don't feel bad, other than wondering how a good person could go off a clean path so easily. At times, I feel for the family members that get hurt through the actions of their LEO family member. Because, of course, a bad cop story makes good local press and gossip.

That's my quick answer. I said a lot more on my lunch break, y'all should probably be relieved it got lost in cyber-space :crazy:

Oh, and regarding your question about non-commissioned employees getting as involved in "cover-ups?" No, don't see that as much. It's just not the same atmosphere as working out there with someone you truly trust with your life every time you go on duty. It's an eye-opening experience. (Yet, I do get somewhat surprised at the number of jailers/correctional officers that get involved with inmates- THAT I've never figured out, and hope I never do "understand" that).

DD

Ughhhh,

Just hoping they find Theresa today. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends today....

Yes, its hard to hold on to "no news is good news". I'm sure LE is still working hard even though we're not getting any updates. They must be exhausted as is the family.

Yes, its hard to hold on to "no news is good news". I'm sure LE is still working hard even though we're not getting any updates. They must be exhausted as is the family.

Chico,
Do you recall reading the Sheriff's comment from yesterday (IIRC) about still hoping to find Theresa alive? That surprised me. However, I'm not sure if it was an exact quote from him, or just a statement in an article. I'll find it tonight if no one else recalls reading it. I read it last night and then again this morning, to ensure I didn't misread it. I'm just surprised that he'd still have enough hope (?) to say it publicly and get friends/family's hopes up. (Unless...he's told family members something else and this is an investigative tactic.)

DD

Chico,
Do you recall reading the Sheriff's comment from yesterday (IIRC) about still hoping to find Theresa alive? That surprised me. However, I'm not sure if it was an exact quote from him, or just a statement in an article. I'll find it tonight if no one else recalls reading it. I read it last night and then again this morning, to ensure I didn't misread it. I'm just surprised that he'd still have enough hope (?) to say it publicly and get friends/family's hopes up. (Unless...he's told family members something else and this is an investigative tactic.)

DD

Yes I remember that. It's in several of the articles from yesterday and the preceding days. Its usually followed with "although as time goes on that hope is diminishing".

I'm as guilty as the next as we should not write this off that she's dead. There is no evidence that we know of that leads to that but practically it doesn't seem like she would be one to take off with just purse, keys, overnight bag and not let her family know she's ok. Not to mention all the appointments she had in the days following her disappearance to settle some affairs and get her new apartment up and running.

It really sucks when the best to hope for is that she's tied up somewhere which is something her BIL has mentioned in the past few days or week.

Now we got a work related colleague to her husband that's behind bars and charged with giving a false statement during the course of this investigation. Husband has not been actively involved in the search or posting flyers. Then there's his "history" to boot.

I hope and pray she's safe but if not I pray for her to be found. It's past time to bring Theresa home.

I just flipped on CTV and NG is there today so she should be on her other show tonight. I hope she covers this.

Utopia,

Nooga.Com is a legitimate place to find news in the Tennessee/Georgia area. It is not a TV Station or a Newspaper tho. They tend to cover things more off the wall and sometimes, in the rush to be first, they have not been as accurate but other times, you get the real story here and not what is given to the media.

I agree with you about the pop-up's and such. Very annoying! But if I want to know something and don't want it sugar-coated, I always check Nooga and then confirm with other sources later when they have the story.

Wow, I'm really batting 100 here:doh:, first I risk insulting Nancy Grace and all her loyal viewers (admitting that I do sometimes watch myself), and now I have probably offended everyone in Tennessee and Georgia by doubting what seems to be a valued news source - YIKES! Once again, I apologize. You must think me a terrible snob, I'm not, honest, just wary of sources.

And seeing as I'm doling out apologies for unintended and potentially perceived offenses, I should probably make one to DeputyDawg as well. I believe I inferred somewhere that the fact that Chaffin was being held in another county for "his own safety" may have been because his fellow officers might not being happy about him talking. Of course the other scenario is that his fellow officers are disgusted by his behaviour and ashamed to have him in their squad. This is much more likely and is a more positive reflection of law enforcement. As DD pointed out, one or two bad apples shouldn't imply they are all bad, when in fact they are mostly good. So DD, please accept my apology:blowkiss:

Feeling much lighter now. I'll try to be more careful.

Chico,

DD

Hi DD,

If you want to hear that quote direct from the "horses mouth", it comes straight from the news conference last night. You can hear the whole thing at the link that was posted here last night. I listened to it again today and that statement was made either in part 2 or part 4 - sorry can't remember which. However, as Chico pointed out, he clearly follows it by stating a couple of times that as each day goes by, hope diminishes. Reading between the lines, I heard realistically she's gone. Of course, until she is found, I guess there's always hope.

Here's the link again:http://wdef.com/node/3817

Wow, I'm really batting 100 here:doh:, first I risk insulting Nancy Grace and all her loyal viewers (admitting that I do sometimes watch myself), and now I have probably offended everyone in Tennessee and Georgia by doubting what seems to be a valued news source - YIKES! Once again, I apologize. You must think me a terrible snob, I'm not, honest, just wary of sources.

And seeing as I'm doling out apologies for unintended and potentially perceived offenses, I should probably make one to DeputyDawg as well. I believe I inferred somewhere that the fact that Chaffin was being held in another county for "his own safety" may have been because his fellow officers might not being happy about him talking. Of course the other scenario is that his fellow officers are disgusted by his behaviour and ashamed to have him in their squad. This is much more likely and is a more positive reflection of law enforcement. As DD pointed out, one or two bad apples shouldn't imply they are all bad, when in fact they are mostly good. So DD, please accept my apology:blowkiss:

Feeling much lighter now. I'll try to be more careful.

Utopia,

That's very sweet, but no apology was necessary from my vantage point. "For his own safety" could indeed have many meanings. My initial thought was they did it to keep the ongoing investigation clean (not knowing yet who else in their department may be involved, and the less said among co-workers, etc., the better)...or, in fact, as you suggested in your latest post - his co-workers will not be happy with him if indeed he played a part in the disappearance of Theresa, truly "one of their own." Emotions in his "home" jail have got to be running high, so it's best for all involved if he's housed somewhere else. He may still know some of the corrections folks at a neighboring jail, but it's got to be less convoluted away from his normal jail where he works. Who knows?! I certainly don't, and we're all just speculating, even so much as to whether she's tied up and still alive, or not...

I for one am very glad to see you contributing! Keep it up :dance:

Utopia,

Not insulted at all and no apologies needed! REALLY.:)

Now, don't get me wrong....I don't believe everything I read at Nooga.Com and definately don't give them the credibility of other news sources but it serves a purpose, I guess.

On another note, our local ABC news is on and we got a teaser. They are talking/interviewing Ben Chaffin's neighbor at 6:00. Wonder what he can offer. I'm sure it will be online later if not now.

www.wtvc.com

Utopia,

Not insulted at all and no apologies needed! REALLY.:)

Now, don't get me wrong....I don't believe everything I read at Nooga.Com and definately don't give them the credibility of other news sources but it serves a purpose, I guess.

On another note, our local ABC news is on and we got a teaser. They are talking/interviewing Ben Chaffin's neighbor at 6:00. Wonder what he can offer. I'm sure it will be online later if not now.

www.wtvc.com

Here is the story from the link
Walker County Emergency Services personnel completed draining a pond on Cordell Avenue, in Lafayette, Georgia, on Tuesday at 11:00 PM, according to Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson. There was no evidence found at the pond linking the site to the disappearance of Theresa Parker. Tuesday afternoon it was announced the Georgia Bureau of Investigation had arrested a LaFayette, Georgia police officer for making a false statement in the investigation of the disappearance of 911 dispatcher, Theresa Parker. Officer Harbin "Ben" Chaffin is not charged directly in the disappearance of Parker...
April 4,2007Full Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members