GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Washington Post has an article stating that the 14 year old shooter "begged for help" for his mental health issues, according to his aunt.

Will this be similar to the Ethan Crumbley case, where cries for help were unheeded by the family?

edited to add link
"At the time of Jackson County’s investigation, the teen’s father told officers that he and his wife had split up after their family was evicted from their home a few months earlier. The father said he and his son had moved and that, while his son had experienced “some problems” at the middle school he previously attended, things had “gotten a lot better” now that he was attending a new school."

Discord is just a chat platform, not dissimilar from Websleuths. I don’t think it really has any anonymity functions aside from just not using your real name. If IP addresses are bouncing around, it’s because of something the user/users are doing, not Discord itself.

JMO
Discord is not like Websleuths at all… people can host private chat servers and you can delete messages & they will be erased forever. A lot of young child killers, harassment and suicide, pedophiles, illicit activity, etc have been linked to Discord. Recently there was a kid who said he’ll murder his mother and post the pics on his community’s server to prove it… he did and most of the kids thought it was so funny and a joke. Thankfully one of the kids reported what he saw in the server. The reality is if the kid never shared what he saw in that server, the boy may have gotten away with it.

I referenced “private servers” in which a lot of kids and young adults participate a while back that have been very problematic especially with young boys and young adult men and now there’s news out that the killer used Discord. Why am I not surprised?

A lot of boys use discord, mostly to game and chat with their friends… but you’ll also uncover extremely vile servers that share racist rhetoric, calls for genocide, calls for violence, & more. The kicker is the kids look peachy clean on surface, straight As, good track record, the family’s beloved boy who could do no wrong, etc, then you discover their online activity and it’s shocking.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
There was a prank threat where I live, not in the US, iirc for the whole state, pop. approx 11 million. idk how many schools but an awful lot. iirc schools were allowed to decide for themselves whether to stay open that day or not. So I was thinking of that kind of prank rather than lockdown within a particular school due to a threat already showing itself. I don't know enough about the situation in general in the US, so I will just read along and keep my possibly wrong ideas to myself.
It is interesting to hear about outside the US because this country is such an outlier with the easy access to weapons and the variable security of school buildings. Thank you for sharing

When police searched the teen's Georgia home following the bloodbath, they reportedly found clues the teenager was 'obsessed' with mass shootings - specifically the Parkland massacre in 2018, which left 17 people dead.

Colt Gray (pictured) opened fire at Apalachee High School in Winder shortly after 10.20am - killing two classmates and two teachers

There are thirty-three states on those lists. Thank you Maryland.
From the same article:

“No one wants to imagine a scenario where teachers need to defend their students with firearms,” Isaiah Miller, a spokesperson for a large national firearm brand, wrote in an email to Campus Safety. “But the unfortunate reality is that school shootings are on the rise, and we must consider all lines of defense to keep children safe.

Allowing trained teachers to carry concealed weapons could make a potential attacker think twice, as they won’t know who might be armed and ready to fight back.

Comprehensive training programs can ensure participating teachers are prepared to handle crisis situations, even as we all hope and pray they never have to put those skills to use. Arming teachers, utilizing AI threat detection and tracking, and real-time video feeds and communication from schools to local law enforcement.“

States Where Teachers Can Carry Guns with Permission from School Authority​

• Alaska
  • Arizona (when used in a program approved by the school)
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware (need concealed carry permit)
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • Ohio
  • Oregon (need concealed carry license)
  • Pennsylvania (schools can apply to allow certain security personnel to carry firearms)
  • South Carolina
  • Texas (if board-approved as part of a Guardian Program or if the person is a designated school marshal)
  • Utah (need a concealed carry permit)
  • Vermont

States Where Teachers Can Carry Guns in Certain Circumstances and/or with Permits/Required Training​

• Arkansas (prohibits teachers in public schools from carrying guns but allows exemptions for private schools)
  • Colorado
  • Florida (as part of the School Guardian Program)
  • Mississippi (only if part of the Guardian Program)
  • Oklahoma (only private schools)
  • South Dakota (if the person is a school sentinel)
  • Tennessee
  • Wyoming (need valid concealed carry permit)

States Where Teachers Can Carry Guns with No Restrictions​

• New Hampshire (only students are prohibited)
I think this is a great idea for those who have training with a weapon and who would want to be a responsible adult to carry. I see it similar to a SRO who would be on duty at the school. In this case it's been reported that it was the SRO who encountered this shooter and removed the threat. High schools are typically large and I think it's impossible for an SRO to be in the exact area needed when something like this happens. I do think having the SRO and possibly a few teachers or other staff that are highly trained and willing to also carry and be there if/when something like this occurs.

I don't think children should be FORCED to do anything that doesn't interest them and isn't necessary. Guided or recommended? Why not? There are also places where children can engage in teamwork that doesn't involve sports; robotics is a common one nowadays.

Don't forget that there are a not-insignificant number of children for whom "socialization" is just another way of increasing the number of other kids who won't like them. Ask me how I know about this.
Well said. And a hug!

The 14-year-old arrested after a mass killing at Georgia’s Apalachee High School had been “begging for months” for mental health help before he allegedly carried out a deadly attack Wednesday, according to an aunt of the shooting suspect.

He “was begging for help from everybody around him,” Annie Brown, the aunt, told The Washington Post. “The adults around him failed him.”

IMO, ‘forcing’ sounds very harsh. ‘Encouraged’, fine… Forcing kids who aren’t athletic would open a whole new can of worms- such as anxiety, feelings of being a failure, etc. My middle school self would not have handled that well at all, Phys Ed class was quite enough!
Exactly, my oldest two really struggled with sports but are absolutely thriving in band and orchestra. I think it’s more belonging to something bigger than oneself

Discord is not like Websleuths at all… people can host private chat servers and you can delete messages & they will be erased forever. A lot of young child killers, harassment and suicide, pedophiles, illicit activity, etc have been linked to Discord. Recently there was a kid who said he’ll murder his mother and post the pics on his community’s server to prove it… he did and most of the kids thought it was so funny and a joke. Thankfully one of the kids reported what he saw in the server. The reality is if the kid never shared what he saw in that server, the boy may have gotten away with it.

I referenced “private servers” in which a lot of kids and young adults participate a while back that have been very problematic especially with young boys and young adult men and now there’s news out that the killer used Discord. Why am I not surprised?

A lot of boys use discord, mostly to game and chat with their friends… but you’ll also uncover extremely vile servers that share racist rhetoric, calls for genocide, calls for violence, & more. The kicker is the kids look peachy clean on surface, straight As, good track record, the family’s beloved boy who could do no wrong, etc, then you discover their online activity and it’s shocking.
I said it’s “not dissimilar”, not that they’re the same. You can host private threads on here, too, with little oversight. There are all sorts of communities on Discord, and the relevant point being discussed was regarding IP addresses and anonymity. Discord complies with legal demands, messages aren’t encrypted, user logs are maintained as well as IP addresses. The purpose is not an anonymous chat service - that is something more like Telegram.

You can also find many of the things you list on most social media platforms. Discord is not special.

All my opinion.

Regardless of the language, it is forcing. No kid wants to play a sport they're bad at. And they're ALL bad at a sport until they've played it for a couple years. They don't start to like the sport until they're good at it. So, if you don't force them to start playing and stick with it for a couple years, it's likely they'll never play at all, or they'll give up after the first year.

Thank the Lord my parents forced 4 year old me to go play T-ball, even if it sucked and picking flowers and my nose was way more interesting.
I object to forcing kids to do anything. Not all kids even like sports. Some kids aren’t good at sports.

There are other activities they can participate in that will be as beneficial as sports: band, chess club, math club, scouts, or anything else they are interested in.

When will this end.

How can somebody at 14 years of age have so much hatred stored up in them.

My heart goes out to the four deceased and I send my thoughts to the 9 rushed to hospital - I feel horrendously for the parents anxiously waiting outside the school for their child to come out knowing that two children won’t return.

Also to the Media please act with class and in the interest of the children - sticking a camera and a microphone in front of a student who has just been in an absolutely terrifying incident is disgrace - The poor student is in complete shock.
Ironically, the comments I've read from the students they have interviewed have been imbued with grace and class. moo

In UK here, and American.
Here, no handguns since an incident in 1996 after a school shooting - Dunblane Massacre.
Hunting / shot guns allowed (no AR types as one doesn’t shoot pheasant or deer with war weapons) - must have license and police check, must be locked in gun cabinet and house must be secure with alarm and need references from specific list of professions. Guns are not for protection, they are for sport shooting birds/deer and farmers maybe shoot a fox terrorizing sheep or chickens. Police come and check at intervals, the check the safe, home alarm. Not 100% sure but might also check w GP Dr for mental health which easier as it’s nationalized health system.
Most police no guns. If they are responding to an incident at a house which they know has a gun - yes, they know because the gun license is logged in the system, they might call armed officers to the house.
Criminals still have guns and shoot people on occasion.
If you shoot an intruder who had not directly threatened you, you get prosecuted for sure.

Regarding this case. Can see police/fbi might not have had enough evidence to arrest a 13 y.o. For a (terror) threat. Can imagine can’t tell an American man (the dad) that he can’t have his guns, can’t require him to lock it away … it’s the”guns not the problem” problem & it’s my constitutional right blah blah.
Can imagine the dad saying gun is secure is that he keeps it out of reach atop the fridge.

America does seem insane as level of gun ownership, gun crime and level of gun recklessness among non-criminals increases every year despite the obvious problem. Requiring gun safes be used in home with minors with regular checks might be a good idea.
Overall America too far gone ….
Gun crime falls under criminality, not non-criminals.

Also, the AR can fall under the category of hunting rifle. I would not personally use it for hunting, but I do know of others who use it to dispatch wild pigs and to hunt deer.

You may think America is too far gone, and you have the right to that opinion. There's still nowhere on earth I'd rather live than right here in the good old USA, where, yes, I can keep my guns and my freedom of speech, and every other right I'm afforded under the U.S. Constitution.

My thoughts are with the families of the victims, the wounded and their families, and the survivors.

States Where Teachers Can Carry Guns with Permission from School Authority​

• Alaska
  • Arizona (when used in a program approved by the school)
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware (need concealed carry permit)
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • Ohio
  • Oregon (need concealed carry license)
  • Pennsylvania (schools can apply to allow certain security personnel to carry firearms)
  • South Carolina
  • Texas (if board-approved as part of a Guardian Program or if the person is a designated school marshal)
  • Utah (need a concealed carry permit)
  • Vermont

States Where Teachers Can Carry Guns in Certain Circumstances and/or with Permits/Required Training​

• Arkansas (prohibits teachers in public schools from carrying guns but allows exemptions for private schools)
  • Colorado
  • Florida (as part of the School Guardian Program)
  • Mississippi (only if part of the Guardian Program)
  • Oklahoma (only private schools)
  • South Dakota (if the person is a school sentinel)
  • Tennessee
  • Wyoming (need valid concealed carry permit)

States Where Teachers Can Carry Guns with No Restrictions​

• New Hampshire (only students are prohibited)

I’m already retired from teaching, but if NY had ever enforced a law that I should have to carry a gun, I’d have quit then.

Speaking for myself alone, of course, and I respect those of you who feel the opposite.

Upstate NY and Long Island have gun cultures. Here in NYC proper, where I was born and have never left, only the criminal element has a gun culture.

To me, carrying a gun is antithetical to the empathetic, nurturing and didactic roles of a teacher. I know myself…I would freeze or shoot incorrectly.

I would never want the burden of having to think like a cop and make a life or death decision.

Of course absolutely I would want to keep my students safe. The same way we are last out the door in a fire drill, because students’ safety comes first.

I just need the professionals to do the gun stuff…I could never...I’ve only ever even SEEN a gun three times…ex-husband went hunting in Virginia, brother-in-law is an NYPD Captain, and my cousin is a federal detective.

Not my job, not what I signed up for, and all the other “nots.”

Just my own feelings.

Last edited:
From this article:

"In May 2023, officers from Jackson County questioned both Gray and his father about a Discord channel believed to be linked to the then-13-year-old which allegedly made threats about a school shooting.

The Discord account had a user name written in Russian, and the translation of the letters spelled out the name Lanza, referencing Adam Lanza, the perpetrator of the Sandy Hook Elementary school tragedy, officers said.

Gray denied he was the author of the threats, telling police he'd shut down his Discord after being repeatedly hacked. He expressed concerns that someone would make those accusations about him.

According to the NYT, Gray's father Colin told investigators at the time that his son 'knows the seriousness of weapons and what they can do, and how to use them and not use them.'

Colin reportedly assured officers that he would be 'mad as hell' if he learned the allegations about his son making threats were true, and that 'all the guns [would] go away.'"

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back