Gas Cans discovered by George Key date - June 24, 2008 ***REVISITED ***

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

George's story about the 24th and the gas cans

• He did find them in Casey's car, and nothing was wrong.

Votes: 39 9.1%
  • He did not go into the truck, and made it up to help Casey..

Votes: 68 15.9%
  • He made it up to protect Casey and himself.

Votes: 98 23.0%
  • I have no idea. This family cannot keep dates and stories straight.

Votes: 222 52.0%

• Total voters
Here's the website I first read about George saying the car smelled like a body. Read paragraphs 5 and 6:

http://www.wesh.com/news/17081458/detail.html

I recall seeing him on our local news (I live close to Orlando) also saying that Casey must've hit an animal and that is why he smelled an odd odor coming from her car.

I think the entire story GA told about the 24th was a lie. You can tell by the look on CA's face when he was telling the story. She's thinking, "what the h*ll are you talking about, and what are you gonna say next, and it better fit in with all of our other lies or I'm gonna beat you when Greta leaves".

Was he asked what he saw in the trunk? Cindy says the pizza had been in there for 12 days...so it supposedly would have been in there when GA looked in there too, right.

Cindy said 19 days about the pizza. She actually counted back on her fingers in a rage outside the jail or court. She had to have known what date the car was abandoned. Go back 19 days from July 15th (picked up from towyard) and you get June 26th/27th (depending on is she was counting the 15th or not).

Here's the website I first read about George saying the car smelled like a body. Read paragraphs 5 and 6:

http://www.wesh.com/news/17081458/detail.html

I recall seeing him on our local news (I live close to Orlando) also saying that Casey must've hit an animal and that is why he smelled an odd odor coming from her car.

Sources close to the investigation said George Anthony admitted to the FBI that, when he first smelled his daughter's car, he thought it was the odor of a body.

"It was an overpowering smell, I admit that," he said. "It's a possibility that maybe my daughter ran over something."

This article doesn't quote George saying it smelled like a dead body.

And I don't remember reading it in the 400 pager. But I will go back and see if I can't find it (unless someone else can help me out). :)

In GA interview with GVS he was saying he wanted the wheel chocks [Wheel chocks can be made of rubber or heavy duty plastic.] that he must have left in the back of Casey’s car so he could rotate the tires on Cindy's car. Casey was hedging on going to get them out the trunk of her car so GA went to go get them himself and that is when he found the gas cans. Casey already knew that her dad had reported them stolen as per Cindy so she knew he was not going to be a happy camper if he found them in her car.
This has always been a big hole for me. GA opens the trunk on 6.24, finds gas cans [no mention of smell] that he has reported stolen from shed- Casey's car gets dumped 6.27, towed 6.30 and retrieved 7.15 with decomp. So either there was no body in the trunk on the 6.24 date and it was put in there after this date as well as removed by 6.27 when it was left at Amscot. The lady at Amscot noticed the car at 7:00AM when she came in on that morning.
That is a 2-1/2 to 3 day window depending on the time GA found the gas cans that Caylee would have been transported in the trunk.
GA is ex-LE. He knows that he made out a stolen report so he mentions the fact that he now knows who stole the gas cans on the GVS interview. He did not call the police back because then he would have to press charges against Casey. He also knows that LE is not going to go and hunt down his gas cans or investigate this. They only time that anyone would look at this report again is for statistics or if there was arson in the area or something of a nature that would involve the use of gasoline.
The question is why did GA make mention of the gas cans in the GVS interview? There is a report and he knows that it will come up since LE will be looking at all prior calls.
If there had been a body in the trunk or he had smelled something then I would think that he would have not mentioned anything at all about finding the gas cans in the trunk. It would have been better just to let the stolen gas cans and the shed that had been broken into remain an unresolved theft of his property. In some respects it would have been better for GA not to say anything. By bringing it up on this interview he just brought more attention to the entire thing. Why would someone who has been in LE bring unwanted attention onto himself. Why we he mention it if he covering something?
To me that would not make sense. Just my opinion.

snipped for enmphasis
The question is why did GA make mention of the gas cans in the GVS interview? There is a report and he knows that it will come up since LE will be looking at all prior calls.
If there had been a body in the trunk or he had smelled something then I would think that he would have not mentioned anything at all about finding the gas cans in the trunk. It would have been better just to let the stolen gas cans and the shed that had been broken into remain an unresolved theft of his property. In some respects it would have been better for GA not to say anything. By bringing it up on this interview he just brought more attention to the entire thing. Why would someone who has been in LE bring unwanted attention onto himself. Why we he mention it if he covering something?
To me that would not make sense. Just my opinion.
I totally agree and have felt this way consistently. Why would he bring attention to situation that he is trying to cover up? He would have made it a very benign encounter and that would be that. he didn't have to say she was reluctant to let him into the trunk, it was an unecessary fact for a coverup. So, imo it was the truth and that is why he shared it.

FWIW, and IMHO, I believe that GA brought up the 6/24 incident when he was in the trunk of the Pontiac was to prove there was no odor coming from the car. The problem is when he did that, he implicated Casey in the theft of the gasoline from his yard building. I believe that's why Cindy made some sort of a gesture to him during the GVS interview. She didn't want Casey to get into further trouble. I believe GA felt it more important to clear up the 'odor' of the car than the theft of the gasoline.

The problem with that is, on 6/24 at 1-1:18 p.m., Jessee was talking to Casey and heard Caylee in the background. Casey even told her to get off the table. Jessee is 100% sure it was Caylee he heard in the background.

At 2:30 p.m, 6/24, is when Casey went to the house and ran into GA. That's when he located the gas cans in her car.

In the other night's chat, LP said we needed to concentrate on 6/24 - 6/27...

6/24 1:18 p.m.,......Jessee hears Caylee

6/24 2:30 p.m.,.....Casey sees GA, no Caylee (she's with babysitter)

6/27 7:00 a.m., Casey's car is first spotted parked by the dumpster.

FWIW, it takes less than 24 hours for a body to begin to emit an odor. Warmer and humid climates, it could be less.

JMHO
fran

The problem with that is, on 6/24 at 1-1:18 p.m., Jessee was talking to Casey and heard Caylee in the background. Casey even told her to get off the table. Jessee is 100% sure it was Caylee he heard in the background.

Jesse recanted after that and stated that he is unsure if he actually heard Caylee or if he just heard Casey say "Get off the table". I think that she was at the Anthony's house and she was telling the cat to get off the table.

Jesse recanted after that and stated that he is unsure if he actually heard Caylee or if he just heard Casey say "Get off the table". I think that she was at the Anthony's house and she was telling the cat to get off the table.

Thanks for the info, TripleA. I hadn't heard that,.........or if I did, I forgot about it. Someone needs to tell Leonard! ;)

Wonder if Leonard has talked to Jessee? :waitasec:

Anyway, I wasn't sure where she was supposed to be when she was talking to Jessee. Thanks for the info.

Leonard said that he believes Casey may have had help by a (male) friend. Wonder if it is Anthony?

Now I'm left with more questions, than answers.:waitasec:

fran

I have never believed the June 24th gas can story and am glad to see that others are of the same mind. This was made up so that SOMEONE could say that there was not a dead body in the trunk and it didn't smell on the 24th - for reasons we are not privy too as of yet.

Oh wait, that's right, someone temporarily stored a dead body in the Pontiac while it was impounded! I forgot.

Will someone please tell Cindy that the burden of proof is 'reasonable' doubt. No one is required to accept BS as reasonable.

The big blow up was on Father's Day weekend, (if we are to believe the neighbor) specifically ON Father's Day (if we are to believe Cindy's brother Rick) and was the catalyst for the murder of Caylee. I do not think for a minute that Cindy listened through the door to hear Caylee breathing and this is just another lie to make people believe that Caylee was alive the morning of the 16th. I do not know anyone, and I have asked, that listens at the sleeping baby's door before going off to work for the day - everyone opens the door to look at their sleeping angel before they leave. Everyone!

She also stated at one point that she heard 'them' breathing. Another load of BS. KC was still in the sack with Tony. She was trying to put KC in the house that morning because it sounds entirely un-motherly that the woman wasn't home like the good mother she wasn't, but rather was 'shacked up' (Tony the Romeo's words not mine) with someone she met a few weeks before and was spending no time at home with her child. No one bothered to ask Cindy if she saw KC's car in the drive when she left. It is a good thing too, because it wasn't there.

George is full of baloney with the whole story about seeing them leave together on the 16th, when KC just so happened to be wearing the same human decomposition soaked pants Cindy found and washed before she called 911 on July 15. How convenient that KC left some slacks behind so dad would have a clue as to what to say about her clothing. He got it down to the pin stripes. Right. 31 days after the fact and he remembered exactly what they were wearing. BS!BS!BS!

At exactly 12:50pm too. AND he remembers exactly what he was watching on tv. Uh-huh. Another cooking show - just like Scooter Peterson.

I challenge every woman here to ask the man in your life to tell you what you were wearing 31 days ago. Ask them what you were wearing a week ago. I will bet you get a blank stare for an answer.

Look at house and it's appurtenances. It is as neat as a pin and everything in it's place. There is a shed for this and a shed for that. Everything is so put together and George is always spiffy. Does anyone think he stored his tire wedges in KC's trunk? Not a shot in h**l. He keeps everything in order and in it's place. This story is just another load of fertilizer.

The more that comes out of the mouths of the parents; the more I detest them.

Just out of curiousity I asked 4 grandma/grandpa couples how they would react if their lunatic psycho daughter disappeared with their grandchild, told them and the police nothing but lies about the child's whereabouts and then they came upon the daughter's car that smelled like a rotting human corpse. Would they lie and help cover the obvious fact that their daughter had killed their grandhild?

Without exception they said that they would not lie to help her, would not pretend to believe her, would do everything in their power to make her talk and would assist police to put her behind bars for the baby's murder. All of them said they would not stop loving their daughter, but would never lift a finger to help her avoid punishment.

Of course, this was all hypothetical as none of them have faced this situation, but I have to believe that most parents could not participate in the cover up of their grandchild's murder, even if it meant their own daughter would be imprisoned.

If someone will lie to you, they will steal from you. Someone who both steals and lies is capable of anything given the opportunity. But, then there is that school of thought that "lying is not a crime". I just never went to that school.

Someone needs to shake some sense into the Anthonys. All they are doing is digging another grave.

Well said.....:clap:

I think the entire story GA told about the 24th was a lie. You can tell by the look on CA's face when he was telling the story. She's thinking, "what the h*ll are you talking about, and what are you gonna say next, and it better fit in with all of our other lies or I'm gonna beat you when Greta leaves".

Good point! My thought is "How did GA know that the gas cans were missing on 6/24"? Was he going to mow the lawn, use the weed eater? It was a Tuesday, was he off work that day? Most people do their lawn work on the weekends.. I just think that it is odd.....Also he said that he was missing approximately $50.00 worth of gas. A larger gas can is usually 5 gallons. If gas was at that point $4.00 a gallon that would only add up to $40.00??? Plus, why would you keep 10 gallons of gas in a storage shed??? This story like all the rest, just does not add up......

Good point! My thought is "How did GA know that the gas cans were missing on 6/24"? Was he going to mow the lawn, use the weed eater? It was a Tuesday, was he off work that day? Most people do their lawn work on the weekends.. I just think that it is odd.....Also he said that he was missing approximately $50.00 worth of gas. A larger gas can is usually 5 gallons. If gas was at that point $4.00 a gallon that would only add up to $40.00??? Plus, why would you keep 10 gallons of gas in a storage shed??? This story like all the rest, just does not add up......

$40 plus $10, five dollars per can :), but yeah the whole thing is a little fishy

Here is a question I have about the gas cans and car towing.

If George Knew KC took the cans because her car always registered empty or did not register at all. then why when at the tow yard did he check the gauge first before deciding to put more gas in it? It wouldn't show anyway, so why check?

The "gas can" story has always bothered me precisely because of the timing GA alleges to have found the cans in the trunk of Casey's car and the fact that Casey was known to have posted on Facebook (or myspace) that same day and around the same time GA purports to have retrieved them from the trunk. My thoughts are Casey may very well have not put Caylee's body into the trunk until after the 24th but to do so would have required secreting her dead body elsewhere for almost 10 days. Is that possible? Apparently so given the fact no one can account for Caylee being seen by anyone outside the Anthony family after June 16, 2008. The other consideration is that the gas cans were never in her trunk - at least not on June 24th as claimed by GA. Guess the cell phone ping records for July 24th are also going to scrutinized by LE along with analyzing the DIRT samples found in the car.

I don't have a link for this but in one of the interviews of the A's it is made mention that the gas gage is unrealiable and she has run out of gas before.
Now if you take this as a truthful statement then I would assume that GA reasoned that Casey had run out of gas and was prepared by taking it with him to the tow yard. Taking into account that if you add to that Casey was telling CA that she was in Jacksonville on her little vacation via voice mail and texting then the A's get a letter that the car had been towed in Orlando and not Jacksonvill they had to have been not only ticked off but a little worried.
Of course Casey had to tell TonE that her car broke down and her dad would come and get it becasue otherwise all she would have to do is ask TonE to take her to a gas station and car problem solved. She wanted TonE to think one thing and she wanted to avoid having to face her parents about not being where she said she was.

This is course not to mention anything a the fact that the car had been used to transport a body.

I have never believed the June 24th gas can story and am glad to see that others are of the same mind. This was made up so that SOMEONE could say that there was not a dead body in the trunk and it didn't smell on the 24th - for reasons we are not privy too as of yet.

Oh wait, that's right, someone temporarily stored a dead body in the Pontiac while it was impounded! I forgot.

Will someone please tell Cindy that the burden of proof is 'reasonable' doubt. No one is required to accept BS as reasonable.

The big blow up was on Father's Day weekend, (if we are to believe the neighbor) specifically ON Father's Day (if we are to believe Cindy's brother Rick) and was the catalyst for the murder of Caylee. I do not think for a minute that Cindy listened through the door to hear Caylee breathing and this is just another lie to make people believe that Caylee was alive the morning of the 16th. I do not know anyone, and I have asked, that listens at the sleeping baby's door before going off to work for the day - everyone opens the door to look at their sleeping angel before they leave. Everyone!

She also stated at one point that she heard 'them' breathing. Another load of BS. KC was still in the sack with Tony. She was trying to put KC in the house that morning because it sounds entirely un-motherly that the woman wasn't home like the good mother she wasn't, but rather was 'shacked up' (Tony the Romeo's words not mine) with someone she met a few weeks before and was spending no time at home with her child. No one bothered to ask Cindy if she saw KC's car in the drive when she left. It is a good thing too, because it wasn't there.

George is full of baloney with the whole story about seeing them leave together on the 16th, when KC just so happened to be wearing the same human decomposition soaked pants Cindy found and washed before she called 911 on July 15. How convenient that KC left some slacks behind so dad would have a clue as to what to say about her clothing. He got it down to the pin stripes. Right. 31 days after the fact and he remembered exactly what they were wearing. BS!BS!BS!

At exactly 12:50pm too. AND he remembers exactly what he was watching on tv. Uh-huh. Another cooking show - just like Scooter Peterson.

I challenge every woman here to ask the man in your life to tell you what you were wearing 31 days ago. Ask them what you were wearing a week ago. I will bet you get a blank stare for an answer.

Look at house and it's appurtenances. It is as neat as a pin and everything in it's place. There is a shed for this and a shed for that. Everything is so put together and George is always spiffy. Does anyone think he stored his tire wedges in KC's trunk? Not a shot in h**l. He keeps everything in order and in it's place. This story is just another load of fertilizer.

The more that comes out of the mouths of the parents; the more I detest them.

<snip>

Someone needs to shake some sense into the Anthonys. All they are doing is digging another grave.

Bravo! I know this is an old post, but I agree with everything you wrote here.

I would also add that if you go back and watch the Greta interview in the Anthonys' living room, the whole thing about the gas cans seems rehearsed - and a lie!

And the more I watch the only sane Anthony (Lee) drinking the Kool-Aid the more I realize they are all aware of what has happened. They will continue to deny, deny, deny because leaving any sort of doubt is the only way to keep their daughter/sister off death row.

Texas? Someone spotted Caylee in Texas? A credible tip? If that were my grandchild, I would be on the first plane! How can they just sit there in that house and not look for that child if they think she is alive?

The answer is: because they know the truth.

Here's my theory on the gas cans.

GA knows he was seen filling up the Sunfire with gas by the impound guy on July 15 , right? [It is in the discovery documents on page 316.] GA also reported gas cans stolen from his house on June 24, correct? [See the police report.] Logic would dictate GA either:

1. Recovered the gas cans from whomever stole them, or
2. Bought new ones.

If GA did not have a receipt for new cans maybe he had to go with the "recovered gas cans" story. Then one would wonder, in the midst of Casey staying away from home at Hopespring, or being kicked out of Hopespring, when did GA recover the cans?

We have heard on Greta when she interviewed GA and CA that Casey came to the house, GA looked in the trunk for a wedge (or somesuch) and VOILA there were the missing cans. GA did not immediately call the police to follow-up the report (to our knowledge) to tell them that Casey had indeed taken the cans. Why is that?

Just a thought...but if she took the gas cans around that date (6-24), she must've done a lot of driving to use up $40 worth of gas in just a few days. That much gas would probably give her car close to a full tank. Yet her car was out of cas when left at Amscot a few days later. Could she have disposed the body then, hence all the driving around????

I don't feel that Caylee was in the trunk prior to June 24th.

FWIW, I don't either. Where was Casey between the 24th and the 26th?
(I believe the car was abandoned on the night of the 26th). Where was George that night? Where was Tony? Where was JG? Someone took her to get the groceries the morning of the 27th, imo. I don't believe she was alone when the car was abandoned either. I can't picture Casey out in the middle of the night all alone. According to Tony, Casey was at his apt. that night. I also feel she abandoned the car right after disposing of Caylees body. If so, Caylee may have been in the trunk for as long as two days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heartishome
Back