General Gun Violence/Gun Control

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a link to support the BBM as I am unaware of those incidents but would love to learn more as that is quite dangerous and unusual behavior from a concealed carry individual. More interested in the teacher aspect as that is what is being discussed. TIA

Do you have a link to support the BBM as I am unaware of those incidents but would love to learn more as that is quite dangerous and unusual behavior from a concealed carry individual. More interested in the teacher aspect as that is what is being discussed. TIA

This comes less a day after a guard left a gun unattended inside a school bathroom. That happened Tuesday at Hilton Head Island School for Creative Arts.

An Ohio first-grader who found his grandmother’s loaded gun at school this spring pointed it at another student, according to a newly released email.

On March 8, the child found the 9 mm handgun that his grandmother, Vicky Nelson, who is the district’s transportation director, carried at Highland Local Schools. Nelson was allowed to carry the weapon as part of the district’s concealed-carry plan adopted last year to arm administrators and select staff members to protect students from potential gun violence.

Last Thursday, school officials said Nelson had briefly gone to the restroom, leaving the gun hidden behind her desk. They said they didn’t know how long the child had access to it or whether he pointed it at anyone.

An Oxford Middle School security guard is under investigation after his gun accidentally fired in the restroom Monday.

There were no injuries in the incident, which happened when he was hanging the weapon on a stall hook before the first lunch period at school. The district said he has been put on leave while the case is investigated.

Oakland County sheriff's officials say an 18-year-old student was being arrested at Oxford High School about 4 p.m. Tuesday for a domestic assault when he tried to grab the deputy's gun, causing it to fire.

Officials found that the firearm belonged to a Bowie County Transportation Department and Pleasant Grove ISD employee who has a concealed handgun license.

Giffords has a list of nearly 100 incidents involving the mishandling of guns at schools over the past 5 years. The list was last updated in July 2022, so there are even more incidents since then (as shown by angelainwi's links).

These incidents include:
Guns left accessible to children
Guns mishandled during discipline
Guns used in times of personal stress or conflict
Other incidents of guns brought onto campus

An elementary school teacher in Pinellas County is facing charges after a gun was found inside her bag on campus.

According to Pinellas County Schools, 49-year-old Betty Soto was arrested on two counts of violation of a concealed carry permit. The gun was found inside her bag in a classroom at Starkey Elementary School, Pinellas County Schools said.

Highland Local Schools officials were alarmed to learn that a gun used as part of a concealed carry program to protect students was found by two first-grade students who removed it from its unlocked case.

On Friday, a child found a gun in the bathroom of a charter school in Kendall.

It happened at Somerset Academy Bay Elementary and Middle School in the 9500 block of Southwest 97th Avenue.

The school says the gun was accidentally left there by one of their security guards.

A century ago people felt that alcohol was dangerous to society, and the United States voted for Prohibition, no alcohol was legal in the United States. After 13 years it was repealed.

My belief is that making guns more difficult to obtain, would create an underground of sales, similar to prohibition.

I see those as two very, very different issues. The vast majority of human societies have had some form of intoxication for about the last 50,000 years.

Guns are new. We don't know how to handle them. They make the gun-carrier too powerful, esp when combined with inebriation (which is a human given).

We are violent-prone, addiction-prone, copycat species - giving us guns is not a great strategy. I can provide links (but they would be to books and I know that you know what I mean).

There's already HUGE underground trade in guns. In SoCal, I've lived with it for a long time. It's complicated. Making some things difficult to obtain actually makes sense.

Are women supposed to just...provide sex...because otherwise, men get irritated? No. We are allowed to say no. And it should be respected. I don't want guns on campus or in grocery stores or in people's cars and I REALLY don't want semi-automatic weapons (anywhere). Weapons are all optional.

Human nature is not optional. Given easier means of killing, we'll kill more. It should be obvious by now. What other intelligent species does what we do?

(Love you, Mickey, but really disagree on the gun control issue). And alcohol creates hazardous mental states. We control that.

We must also control ballistic weapons. Moving to the European model would be a first step.

IMO.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office has begun an inquiry Monday after an Elliott Point Elementary School resource officer left her loaded handgun in a school restroom.

Holly Hill police said the gun belonged to Charles Mills, 72, who is a volunteer at the school.

Mills does have a concealed weapons permit, but it is illegal to bring a weapon onto a school campus. He has been charged with carrying a concealed firearm on a school campus, police said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire