George's Possible "Suicide" Letter

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, I quote from trusty Wikipedia to answer my earlier question about federal vs. local statutes which define suicide as a crime.

"By the early 1990s only two US states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification. "

Given that there was no crime, how can there be a "victim" of a crime. . .
or statutes apply which provide for the release of a crime victim's records?

I take seriously Attorney Conway's plea (which he shouldn't even have had
to make) that the public respect the legal and common sense line between
their right to know and the Anthony family's right to privacy.

Verité;3214591 said:
Here, I quote from trusty Wikipedia to answer my earlier question about federal vs. local statutes which define suicide as a crime.

"By the early 1990s only two US states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification. "

Given that there was no crime, how can there be a "victim" of a crime. . .
or statutes apply which provide for the release of a crime victim's records?

I take seriously Attorney Conway's plea (which he shouldn't even have had
to make) that the public respect the legal and common sense line between
their right to know and the Anthony family's right to privacy.

Okay I must be slow this morning, but are you reading that as it was a crime and is not considered one anymore as well?

Because this was the quote that had me thinking it was no longer a crime.

TIA!

Verité;3214396 said:
Originally posted by Tichad3:
"Attempting suicide is a crime. As such the documents become public record. That's how it works in my county any way."

Please cite the statute for the "crime" in this instance, to include language
which states specifically ". . .and the contents of any suicide note shall be
open to public discussion." When does "county" law supersede federal law
(as in the US Constitution, Bill of Rights)?

When does the right to blog (First Amendment) supersede another's
right to privacy? The man said he wanted to be left alone. I assume
this to include his thoughts during a private recording of his despair.

Besides, I understood LE to say that GA has not been charged with any crime. When did the jury convene to declare him "guilty."

There is no constitutional right to privacy, however the 1st ammendment is spelled right out. It seems evident that an invented or interperated right shouldn't trump an explicit right in the eyes of the consitution. That's why legal decisions based on the "right of privacy" have always been controversial, and subject to re-interpretation.

Because GA was subject to the Baker Act, his competency to act freely in a public society without causing harm to himself and others was under question. His note becomes public, so that the government wouldn't be shown to be detaining him for observation without just cause.

I feel for them no matter what anybody thinks should have been or could have been.
I could not care less what anyone thinks of me for that.
I REALLY DO FEEL FOR THEM and refuse to vilify them in any way.

Could they have been stronger to deal with Casey? Sure.....

Seems George is falling apart not coping any longer, He held it together as long as he could. George has been very deeply wounded by this.
Right from the start I heard him say after the car was brought in and the death smell.....
I'm NOT QUOTING but he said - he can not believe he gave life to anyone that would want to hurt a child. (he said something like that).
I knew right then that GA knows Caylee is gone, I also knew that he is hurting to the core.
I am not surprised by this turn of events. I am happy he was located in time.

CA too has been effected and seems she has been acting out from the start;
There are no manuals for these things, NONE.

Caylee will be buried with Respect at some point very soon. One - three months sooner would not have changed anything about the loss of the baby.
But I read so many here have judged them based on what they THINK. I can not do that.

A PARENTS LOVE IS ENDLESS - Casey is a bad seed who will be punished, she has put her family through hell and back, but her parents still want to believe that someone else (her friends) not Casey could do such a horrific thing.
They also know the general population in a prison is horrific and hope she will be in protective area, they are doing the best they can do.

Poor Lee is tarnished too because of her, WHO in the USA has not heard this story? who would readily jump into that family?

I can not say what the "A"s should do.
I'm sure they are doing all they KNOW how to do with a situation that does not come with a manual.

I doubt they will ever know privacy unless they move from there after the trial.

I hope that George will heal at lest enough to find a reason to live again someday;
He may never be the same, but with his LE experience maybe he can help others someday and feel alive again.
While this trial will be hard on him he still has family that needs him; but he must be in therapy.

Verité;3214665 said:
Originally posted by Hayley:
". . .this was the quote that had me thinking it was no longer a crime."

EXACTLY.

Thanks I was thinking I was :crazy:

Thanks I was thinking I was :crazy:

But when you go on to read the rest of the passage it states that it can be against "common law". You have to read the whole thing.

Verité;3214676 said:
Originally posted by Where's Andre:
. . ."interperated right"

This one is new to me. Explain, please.

does anyone remember - wasn't there a legal thread for these debates? or am i getting :confused:
haven't seen it for a while but maybe it would be a good place to carry on this discussion.

well i wonder if its worth living anymore if every single aspect of a persons life is everyone elses .. where is that persons right to privacy and freedom to express his feelings ? im sorry but not everything in a persons life is our or anyone elses business .. imho

I agree. I think it's over the top. Yeah, it's a crime and people are interested and it's legal to publish documents, but this is a man's private pain.

does anyone remember - wasn't there a legal thread for these debates? or am i getting :confused:
haven't seen it for a while but maybe it would be a good place to carry on this discussion.

Oops...sorry, I'm new to this.:blushing:

There is no constitutional right to privacy, however the 1st ammendment is spelled right out. It seems evident that an invented or interperated right shouldn't trump an explicit right in the eyes of the consitution. That's why legal decisions based on the "right of privacy" have always been controversial, and subject to re-interpretation.

Because GA was subject to the Baker Act, his competency to act freely in a public society without causing harm to himself and others was under question. His note becomes public, so that the government wouldn't be shown to be detaining him for observation without just cause.

(bold above by me)

I've been having a little trouble keeping up with the multitude of reports. Is it certain that GA was taken into custody under the Baker Act?

I seem to recall the sheriff saying in his interview that he gave GA a choice, pretty much ... come voluntarily or else.

Does anyone know which it was?

Oops...sorry, I'm new to this.:blushing:

don't apologize tichad, i could be completely wrong, and welcome
wave.gif

(bold above by me)

I've been having a little trouble keeping up with the multitude of reports. Is it certain that GA was taken into custody under the Baker Act?

I seem to recall the sheriff saying in his interview that he gave GA a choice, pretty much ... come voluntarily or else.

Does anyone know which it was?

i read it was voluntarily, but i'm not sure that anybody really knows what went on as yet.

I will not say what my third and fourth reaction/thoughts were to hearing about GA's attempt and note. I really can't believe I thought these things. And if I read it from another poster I would either silently agree or jump all over them! Ha

What I'd love to know though is if these thoughts occured to anyone else. And yes, I am glad GA is ok, very glad.

Maybe when more time has gone by???? Maybe.

now, this is what I don't like. That note and the texts are private and personal and should stay that way! so unfair to GA. my heart breaks for him.

It certainly isn't necessary to publish them and would seem to be a betrayal and an act of contempt instead of the compassion he is due. I agree with you.

There is no constitutional right to privacy,

I'm not a legal scholar--and I live on the far distant coast from Florida--but I do
recall hearing that Florida does have a constitutional right to privacy which is
more stringent even than that described in the U.S. Constitution.

Legalese aside, I think Mr. Anthony's advocate makes an appeal to what we
all must exercise as common sense and respect for the dignity of his client.

The freedom was taken away when he committed the crime of attempting suicide. Not to mention all the things he has done and said to LE about Caylee's disappearance and murder.

When you commit a crime your freedoms are taken away. That is the justice system in this great country.

I have to disagree here. What crime did GA commit? In order to be a crime would not he have to be charged with something? To my knowlede he has not been charged.In fact I can not recall anyone who has tried to take their own life ever being charged with a crime.
If I am wrong can you please show me some cases.

I wrote this in another thread, but I feel it's appropriate to post here as well.

Everyone is different. You can't say, "Well, if someone wanted to commit suicide, they would just do it." Or, "When so-and-so in my life tried, they didn't think to leave a note or contact anyone, so this must have been planned." Or, "Well, if he was really depressed, he would've sought help." People are arguing about suicide and attempts at suicide, seriously? "It's selfish." "No it's not." It's absolutely ridiculous to speculate about what George was thinking. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. My heart broke when I woke up yesterday morning and read about this. That was my first, human emotion and reaction. Yes, I agree that George has done and said some things that I don't agree with, etc., but come on people. This is sad. Attempted suicide is nothing to disregard, no matter who the person or what the situation. I am sorry to rant, but this is something that hits home for many of us, and I find it disheartening to see some of the things being said on here.

How on earth is Conway responsible if George and Cindy aren't in therapy? That's over the top. We have no way of knowing whether he has been encouraging them to speak with a counselor or not, and that cannot be ascertained in any way unless the Anthony's stand on their doorstep and hold up a sign that reads "We're going to counseling now. Be back in 2 hours!" We simply do not know whether they are seeing a counselor.

However, this isn't about that. This is about George's suicide note. People leave notes to be read. The contents of that note give insight into the mind of the person in the last moments before he/she takes their life. I am curious about what he has to say.

From my perspective, a person doesn't text message his friends to say he's going to take his life without the expectation that someone is going to be concerned enough to come stop him. NO ONE leaves a note without the expectation that it will be read. It is less a cry for help than a plea for attention. There is absolutely no way that George didn't know that there was help readily available to him. He had at his fingertips more people willing to get him in to see a counselor than the average person who is going through a family ordeal. You can't throw a rock without hitting someone who is more than willing to have offered to call someone. George knew there was help available, and he chose not to "reach out" to them, and chose instead to add yet more stress and confusion and drama to an already volatile powder keg of living. It was selfish and in the manner in which he carried it all out, it was childish. Cindy has every right to be angry and at last I believe the right emotion for the right action has happened for her. Perhaps its a breakthrough.

For those who suggest the note and text messages should remain private, I ask this: If George had been successful, would your opinion change? Would you then want to know what he'd written? Would you want to know what he was thinking in those minutes it took him to write the letter out? Is it that he wasn't successful that makes you believe it all should be private?

I in no way hold Conway responsible for anything. He seems to be the person who is most close to GA and CA at the moment, and he seems like a decent man. Wouldn't you encourage someone you know to seek help for the obvious pain they are in? Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. Maybe they are getting help, maybe they aren't. You can rest assured though, if they WERE going to weekly therapy, the press would know, therefore we would know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico