Found Deceased Germany - Liam Colgan, 29, Scottish tourist, Hamburg, 10 Feb 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When I googled for updates today I found an article from Feb 15 where another male body was found in the Elbe. I was thinking that surely Liam's friends and family must have been aware of it and what worry and fear they must be feeling every time a dead body was found (now twice in one week), and then the relief that it wasn't Liam. I really feel for them!

When I googled for updates today I found an article from Feb 15 where another male body was found in the Elbe. I was thinking that surely Liam's friends and family must have been aware of it and what worry and fear they must be feeling every time a dead body was found (now twice in one week), and then the relief that it wasn't Liam. I really feel for them!

Do you know if it was ever mentioned who the identity of the first body was?I wonder if they will release the identity of the body they found today after the family have been informed.

Do you know if it was ever mentioned who the identity of the first body was?I wonder if they will release the identity of the body they found today after the family have been informed.

For the sake of Liam's family, I hope that the information they have been given is accurate, and won't change.
From the armchair amateur perspective, the communications to date have been...amateur!

Speculation and opinion only.

It might have already been covered,so apologies if so,but why has the cctv footage Liam was spotted in not been released to public,Not even a still photo image has been released from my knowledge.

I hope they are still evaluating other cctv sources. Unlike Britain, Germany‘s privacy laws around public video surveillance are very restrictive.

It might have already been covered,so apologies if so,but why has the cctv footage Liam was spotted in not been released to public,Not even a still photo image has been released from my knowledge.

Quoted above

In Germany, cctv usually is only shown to the public when there‘s a suspect and they are on a manhunt. There recently was a case in Berlin where a guy kicked a women in the back and she fell down the stairs. They only released cctv months later after none of the old-school tactics worked out.

More info but still nothing official:
The man they found had no ID with him.
Forensics got finger prints from the deceased which was quite difficult because the body had been in the water for a while. Checking fingerprints against a database of registered persons reached no results. Now, DNA analysis will be done. The article claims police insiders believe it‘s rather not Liam.
https://www.abendblatt.de/nachricht...lbe-gefunden-aber-es-ist-wohl-nicht-Liam.html

I want to see that security footage from the bar. I am very suspicious of this claim that the video can’t be accessed because the password was forgotten. What utter nonsense. A 13 year old could hack in to it. What’s really going on here?

Something’s rotten in Hamburg. Really rotten.

I agree!!!:thumb:

I visited Hamburg a few years back and hated the place. I found it really seedy in a lot of areas. Popular for stag parties though.

My first thought is that he was drunk and ended up in water, as is so often the case, but these reports of the body not being him and potential sightings of a confused man are intriguing.

According to this report, Liam is not seen in the cctv footage from the Buxtehude station which was thoroughly analyzed. After the sightings, he was thought to have travelled there by S-Bahn (subway) and they are investigating how else he could have got to Buxtehude. It‘s also not clear what he could have done in the days prior to those sightings as there is not a single lead.
Source: https://www.bild.de/regional/hambur...sel-um-vermissten-schotten-54858148.bild.html

I think the Buxtehude lead is a dead end at this point unless there are further sightings. Police still investigate in and around Hamburg and Buxtehude and follow all leads.

More info but still nothing official:
The man they found had no ID with him.
Forensics got finger prints from the deceased which was quite difficult because the body had been in the water for a while. Checking fingerprints against a database of registered persons reached no results. Now, DNA analysis will be done. The article claims police insiders believe it‘s rather not Liam.
https://www.abendblatt.de/nachricht...lbe-gefunden-aber-es-ist-wohl-nicht-Liam.html
There would have been a lot of people who flooded in during the refugee influx in recent years without proper ID. Could be anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43112470
Family confirm first sighting of missing stag party man Liam Colgan
The sighting was a short time after the group had last seen him in the Veermaster Bar in Hamburg on Saturday 10 February.

The family said this creates new lines of inquiry that are now being followed.

Liam's family are now receiving support from the Lucie Blackman Trust, set up to help families whose loved ones have gone missing or died abroad.
"My brother is still out there and we are still receiving sightings. We need to find Liam and bring him home to his family and friends."

He has asked that Scots with connections in Hamburg and the surrounding areas continue to share the appeal.
He said: "We need your assistance to help do this by sharing the appeal and contacting your friends in Germany to do so. I feel humbled and eternally grateful for everyone's assistance in helping bring Liam home."
rbbm.

The article doesn't say where he was sighted, but did state it was approximately one hour after the group had last seen Liam at the Veermaster bar.

This article says he was seen at St. Michael‘s church. Bavarian mountain hound „Beppo“ picked up a scent from the Harbor, over to the Gruner & Jahr building up to the church. Liam‘s brother Eamonn is also there: „An hour after his disappearance, he was seen on a staircase. He fell and a passerby helped him up.“
According to information gathered by BILD, the incident was recorded by cctv.
Roads around St. Michael‘s church have been blocked by police.
bf3797c5df608b5b242e2572dca6a8af.jpg

e21ca52f23d55c5784d9c85dd8f149fd.jpg

http://www.bild.de/regional/hamburg/vermisste-personen/neue-suche-michel-54859234.bild.html

Link includes interactive timeline.
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...d-sighting-missing-inverness-man-liam-colgan/
A sighting of Liam Colgan at 2am on the day he went missing has been confirmed by his family.

CCTV footage seen by the family shows Liam arriving at the vehicle barrier of the G&J building in Baumwall, Hamburg at around 2.20am on February 10.
A witness reported seeing Liam and helping up some steps to the main entrance of that building after he fell, and this account has been corroborated by the CCTV.
The footage goes on to show Liam trying unsuccessfully to get in to the building, before walking towards the Michelwiese Park. He is helped again by the same witness to get into this park, and is last seen heading towards the Portuguese quarter at around 2.30am.
rbbm.

Good news they found the cctv footage of him by the church. I hope it's correct info (it's Bild after all) and the dog can trace him. Are there any parks or wooded areas close where he could have gone and passed out?

ETA: hadn't seen dotr's post mentioning the park.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back