Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I'm glad you asked. Here is a little interesting detail:

Judge Timothy Mazzei is a former Town of Brookhaven councilman. Brookhaven has had *a ton* of corruption problems over the past 10-15+ years. The current town supervisor for Brookhaven is... Ed Romaine (R). Romaine, who is running for County Executive come November, if elected, will most likely replace Commissioner Rodney Harrison.

Make of that what you will.

Judge Timothy Mazzi was also Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County... under Thomas Spota. Spota and Mazzei are former law partners. In fact, Mazzei, as ADA, was appointed to the Tankleff murders case - and refused to recuse himself when conflicts were exposed - I'll stop here because this might possibly be @hawkshaw 's wheelhouse, not mine.

Judges can be elected *or* appointed in NY. Mazzei ran unopposed back in 2014 when there were two seats open.
How horrifying. It's like the epic struggle between good and evil is being waged there in Suffolk County. <modsnip: DA's political affiliation is off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
John Rays comments imply that the narcotics detective swinging boyfriend knew Karen Vergata and picked her up in particular. He said, "We don't know how he knew her" or something to that effect, "but he did and picked her up." I didnt go back for the exact words, but understood his statemenos to mean it wasn't like he picked Karen Vergata up at random on the street. I wonder if they picked her up near her home; they didn't say or imply this.

MOO
And if the case, who better than some of the local and ‘beat’ officers to know who the working girls were in the area.

I imagine this has been earlier noted, but after reading the thread this evening - and notes of how sordid and involved or deep this case (or these cases) may go - one has to wonder why it took so long to make connections. Thank goodness the Gilbert family pressed so hard.

Such a tangled, sad, and large case.
MOO

He worked 6 years (2002-2008) as an ADA of Suffolk County, under Spota. He moved next to:

UNITED STATES ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, EASTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK​

Assistant U.S. Attorney, Criminal Division

RT is not of the same party as Bellone who appointed Harrison.
A Quote from the New York Times Article: The Botched Hunt for the Gilgo Beach Killer

There’s a certain poetry in the fact that the Suffolk district attorney who helped make it happen, Ray Tierney, had been pressured out of Spota’s office in 2008. Then a junior prosecutor, Tierney ran into trouble when he started questioning some corner-cutting in Spota’s political-corruption unit. Quite abruptly, Tierney was transferred to rackets, throwing his future into jeopardy. “They took my car, they took the phone,” Tierney told me recently. “I certainly got the message. I said, ‘My career in the D.A.’s office is effectively over.’ I was way outside the circle of trust.”

A Quote from the New York Times Article: The Botched Hunt for the Gilgo Beach Killer

There’s a certain poetry in the fact that the Suffolk district attorney who helped make it happen, Ray Tierney, had been pressured out of Spota’s office in 2008. Then a junior prosecutor, Tierney ran into trouble when he started questioning some corner-cutting in Spota’s political-corruption unit. Quite abruptly, Tierney was transferred to rackets, throwing his future into jeopardy. “They took my car, they took the phone,” Tierney told me recently. “I certainly got the message. I said, ‘My career in the D.A.’s office is effectively over.’ I was way outside the circle of trust.”
Thanks for this quote from the NYT. It didn’t come up in my search. I wonder what RT thinks of RM representing AE- wife of his defendant, whose career and law license was basically saved by Spota.

I did read one article about RT hiring 20 some brand new ADAs. Looks like he’s cleaning house.

Newsday writes in today's paper they are holding hearings on the Spota/Levy deal. Harrison seems to be going off the rails. The whole system in Suffolk has been corrupted almost to the point of being beyond repair

Thanks for this quote from the NYT. It didn’t come up in my search. I wonder what RT thinks of RM representing AE- wife of his defendant, whose career and law license was basically saved by Spota.

I did read one article about RT hiring 20 some brand new ADAs. Looks like he’s cleaning house.
Did you know RM was told by Burke's lawyer if he wanted his license back he had to promise never to speak to me. He could then file a 440 with Judge Hudson and the felony would be reduced to a misdemeanor. apply to the court for re-instatement. Hudson doesn't seem to be doing real work anymore and seems to be cutting out paper dolls to occupy his time.

Yes I have thought the same thing about the areas the bodies have all been dumped in. What always stuck me was that the bodies have always been found in public parkland.

Gilgo Beach is a state park run by Suffolk county.
Manorville torso’s were in county parkland. Karen’s legs were found on Fire island on parkland.
Peaches torso was found in Hempstead State Park.
Lattingtown and Muttontown jane does were also preserves which are public parkland.

I have often wondered if there are connections to someone working in or along with the parks department. Someone with knowledge of all those parks.

Long Island is covered with open spaces woods etc especially Suffolk county . Yet all of these bodies have been found in public parklands.

It may be that going to a public park doesn’t look as sus as going to private land.
I don’t know how often people go to those parks or what they look like to know if they are buzzing with families and things to do or vacant marshy land where no one goes.

An architect could have an excuse as to why he is on private land- for a prospective project. And that story would fly unless people asking questions own the land or know the person that does. After a time when no project takes place, or a project takes place that includes the body

JMO

Yes I have thought the same thing about the areas the bodies have all been dumped in. What always stuck me was that the bodies have always been found in public parkland.

Gilgo Beach is a state park run by Suffolk county.
Manorville torso’s were in county parkland. Karen’s legs were found on Fire island on parkland.
Peaches torso was found in Hempstead State Park.
Lattingtown and Muttontown jane does were also preserves which are public parkland.

I have often wondered if there are connections to someone working in or along with the parks department. Someone with knowledge of all those parks.

Long Island is covered with open spaces woods etc especially Suffolk county . Yet all of these bodies have been found in public parklands.
Rex H was a seasonal employee at Jones Beach when he was younger.

Did you know RM was told by Burke's lawyer if he wanted his license back he had to promise never to speak to me. He could then file a 440 with Judge Hudson and the felony would be reduced to a misdemeanor. apply to the court for re-instatement. Hudson doesn't seem to be doing real work anymore and seems to be cutting out paper dolls to occupy his time.
Can you give a little timeline for all of this craziness and perhaps a who’s who relative to this group that is so entangled? Like bullet points?

RM to Spota and Burke
Judge Mazzei to ???
Attorney M Brown to ???
Can you refresh our memories Re: Levy and Spota?
Or if Bellone was pressured by Spota?

Spota, Burke, C.P. Hackett relative to Oak Beach, Placa, Guiliani, anything?

Last edited:
In my opinion, there was nothing remarkable about Karen's appearance. She wasn't overly heavy or overly skinny...not 6 foot tall or 3 feet tall. She didn't have platinum blond hair, or pink hair. No "droopy" eye, or large birthmark. Just nothing that made her particularly stand out. She looked like a hundred girls I might have run into at a flea market. And yet somehow, this swinger picks her up for just one night, and now can say with certainty that this girl was Karen, 20+ years later ?

I mean...okay. I guess.

ETA: Add in the bullet points of a Christmas tree, a belt , Valentines Day, a sea shell on a shelf, the fire in the back yard...just seems, well, scripted. But that's just me.

Newsday writes in today's paper they are holding hearings on the Spota/Levy deal. Harrison seems to be going off the rails. The whole system in Suffolk has been corrupted almost to the point of being beyond repair
When you say Harrison is “going off the rails,” do you mean losing it or do you mean going against the machine- to expose the corruption or to force an investigation?

In my opinion, there was nothing remarkable about Karen's appearance. She wasn't overly heavy or overly skinny...not 6 foot tall or 3 feet tall. She didn't have platinum blond hair, or pink hair. No "droopy" eye, or large birthmark. Just nothing that made her particularly stand out. She looked like a hundred girls I might have run into at a flea market. And yet somehow, this swinger picks her up for just one night, and now can say with certainty that this girl was Karen, 20+ years later ?

I mean...okay. I guess.

ETA: Add in the bullet points of a Christmas tree, a belt , Valentines Day, a sea shell on a shelf, the fire in the back yard...just seems, well, scripted. But that's just me.
Your skepticism gives us balance. Perhaps that entire night was so weird and out her usual wheelhouse that she did remember odd details.

Leaving behind a crying, seemingly scared and naked young woman may have haunted her for years. Maybe she played that night over and over in her head over the years. But, she was willing to file a legal affidavit. I guess time will tell if her story is authentic.

Well... I'm glad you asked. Here is a little interesting detail:

Judge Timothy Mazzei is a former Town of Brookhaven councilman. Brookhaven has had *a ton* of corruption problems over the past 10-15+ years. The current town supervisor for Brookhaven is... Ed Romaine (R). Romaine, who is running for County Executive come November, if elected, will most likely replace Commissioner Rodney Harrison.

Make of that what you will.

Judge Timothy Mazzi was also Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County... under Thomas Spota. Spota and Mazzei are former law partners. In fact, Mazzei, as ADA, was appointed to the Tankleff murders case - and refused to recuse himself when conflicts were exposed - I'll stop here because this might possibly be @hawkshaw 's wheelhouse, not mine.

Judges can be elected *or* appointed in NY. Mazzei ran unopposed back in 2014 when there were two seats open.

It's very clear John Ray had good reason to hold that press conference the other day. These connections show how close this case could be derailed in court.

Why is Macedonio representing AE? Can any locals shed light on that?

Can Gov. Hochul and Letitia James be of any help in finishing the investigation?

It's very clear John Ray had good reason to hold that press conference the other day. These connections show how close this case could be derailed in court.

Why is Macedonio representing AE? Can any locals shed light on that?

Can Gov. Hochul and Letitia James be of any help in finishing the investigation?
What good reason could he possibly have?
Macedonio representing AE. Answer that question and win a free trip to DisneyLand
Hochul and James? Are you crazy?

Why did I say PC Harrison may be "off the rails"? What the heck did a police commissioner had in mind standing around like Charlie McCarthy with John Ray. It is just freaking CRAZY. Harrison is a pretty smart guy but what was he thinking???

Why don't you just google" Curious case of Robert Macedonio". You should get everything you need

Macedonio representing AE. Answer that question and win a free trip to DisneyLand

Why did I say PC Harrison may be "off the rails"? What the heck did a police commissioner had in mind standing around like Charlie McCarthy with John Ray. It is just freaking CRAZY. Harrison is a pretty smart guy but what was he thinking???

John Ray made public the evidence that implicates Rex H in the murders of other victims, including Shannan Gilbert. Because some of those murders were directly or tangentially connected to members of LE, etc., those murders might never have been fully investigated and charged to Rex. The assumption was that, due to the sensitive connections and possible embarrassment to LE, these cases would be swept under the rug.

Not everyone thinks that's ok. Some might think its ok to say "Well we got Rex on these other murders, so that's enough." Showing that evidence, through those affidavits, shines a light on those cases, making it harder to ignore them.

JMO. You may have more knowledge about this situation, I'm ready to listen.

Your skepticism gives us balance. Perhaps that entire night was so weird and out her usual wheelhouse that she did remember odd details.

Leaving behind a crying, seemingly scared and naked young woman may have haunted her for years. Maybe she played that night over and over in her head over the years. But, she was willing to file a legal affidavit. I guess time will tell if her story is authentic.

I think that would be a memorable moment that would imprint in your memory! I know it would in mine!

Re Harrison, sometimes doing the right thing is more important than political expediency.

Why is the governor and AG's involvement crazy? The Rhoden family massacre was a case in corrupt Applachia, murders committed by the offspring of a wealthy, powerful landowner. It took direct involvement of the AG, who was later governor, to make sure the case was thoroughly investigated and tried. There were no defense shenanigans like we've seen with other recent cases. A thorough investigation with clear, safe chain of custody, etc.

Sometimes those higher up the ladder, at the state police, AG level, are needed to make sure things go well. That's what AG's are for.

I mean...okay. I guess.

What I find credible is Harrison was at the press conference.

But, I think you bring up great points.

The photo of Karen released last summer was not current to the time she went missing - was she identifiable to a one-night friend by an old photo? It was mentioned in the news that Karen was last heard from on Valentine's Day. I recall seeing photos of the Heurermann living room with a Christmas tree. A belt has been in the news. LE involvement in the case has been long speculated. I recall a neighbor of Heurermann mentioning he once saw Rex start a fire in the middle of the night. Karen running outside a house reminds me of known info about Gilbert. The basement has been in the news. Rex's place of employment in midtown is known info.

Her info could have been gleaned by paying attention to the news coverage. ?

Yeah, I would be skeptical....but would Harrison be at the press conference if the witness wasn't legit? Idk!

jmo

Last edited:
Re Harrison, sometimes doing the right thing is more important than political expediency.

Why is the governor and AG's involvement crazy? The Rhoden family massacre was a case in corrupt Applachia, murders committed by the offspring of a wealthy, powerful landowner. It took direct involvement of the AG, who was later governor, to make sure the case was thoroughly investigated and tried. There were no defense shenanigans like we've seen with other recent cases. A thorough investigation with clear, safe chain of custody, etc.

Sometimes those higher up the ladder, at the state police, AG level, are needed to make sure things go well. That's what AG's are for.
I think sometimes there is nothing politically expedient to do, so one may as well do the right thing.

I don't believe Harrison would have been there if he thought the evidence presented was not helpful, or if he believed John Ray was not a viable place people who don't trust LE to go to.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member