Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading articles and watching updates whenever I can, and I still can't believe it. Reading the paperwork was jaw dropping. LE really did their due diligence. I can't imagine how difficult it was knowing that they found him, but they had to have every duck in a row before they made the arrest. It was worth it because the evidence is so damning. He's done.

I know everyone has a different opinion on this, but I really think he might be responsible for all the murders. I didn't think that before today but seeing some of the searches he made online... this monster had a lot of rage and he hated women. That type of hatred doesn't just magically appear one day.

I'm glad that this monster is off the streets. My heart goes out to the victim's families. They have probably hoped for this day for a long time, but it doesn't make it any easier.

It might be how he uses the term: "architecture". He does not seem to have been a designer.

Rather, he served as a consultant for builders and re-modelers seeking advise on how to navigate through very complex NYC building codes, zoning restrictions, use permits, occupancy regulations, all with grandfathered exceptions, counter exceptions etc. etc.

As a side note, your point reminds me that the east coast can have some pretty archaic, olde English type terms describing professions and trades.
He is a registered (licensed) architect, and his license can be verified on the State of New York license verification site: Verification Search | Office of the Professions He was first registered in 1996. It wasn't a glamorous practice, but the services have a market and require appropriate credentials.

As long as he was registered, he was legally entitled to use the term "architect" to describe himself and his occupation. Also, not all architects design buildings. There are many specialized tasks outside of pure design that architects do. There are consultants in many cities who offer the same service Heuermann did. There are architects who specialize in construction drawings, figuring out how to assemble today's complex buildings, and specification writers, who write the material specifications for projects. There are also architects who manage projects, with others doing the design. Others do mainly remodeling. In government, architects can be code officials, planners or manage projects done by others. The American Institute of Architects website has information: AIA

This has nothing to do with the east coast. Architects all over the US and Canada work within specialties that do not involve designing new buildings. The use of the term architect is subject to legal constraints in the US, and one can call oneself an architect only if registered/licensed. Registered and licensed are synonomous.

Last edited:
Is this correct - the first 4 were found wrapped in burlap, or inside burlap bags.
Was burlap used in concealing any of the remaining victims?
Why burlap?
A detail came out that wasn't known-he used camouflage burlap which obviously hides the bodies more. Burlap is very porous so the decomposition is quicker. I'm not certain how many more of the bodies were in burlap.

I'm exercising restraint in my optimism. There are a lot of "powerful and connected" people in this case who would love for this case to disappear. I hope this is legit but after the way this case has been mishandled and obstructed up until now, I have my doubts.

I look forward to hearing Hawkshaw's take on all this.
My exact thoughts, including hearing Hawkshaw's take...

From the link bbm

"A review of call records for these two additional burner cellphones revealed that both cellphones were used extensively between 2021 and 2023 for prostitution-related contacts (either with sex workers or massage parlors). "
This really makes me wonder how many victims are out there?

Here's something that strikes me as odd. According to DS, the guy who Amber was meeting the night of her murder offered her a lot of money for an overnight. DS also said she talked to him on the phone for quite some time before agreeing to the date. If they had ripped him off just the night before, wouldn't Amber have recognized his voice, or at least his face and refused to get in the car ?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels " off " to me.

@dotr

I wonder [speculation only here] if he worked with JB's nursery and if this is how JB came to be linked to this. Also wondering if he planned to link/frame JB. Awful if true as he is no longer with us. MOO
My first thought was "who is he linked to". Curious to know if he has ties with the people of interest we have all discussed over the last decade +. Long Island...people know this guy and they have information. I think if he is guilty, he is not the only murderer. I guess we have to wait for Tierney and Bellone to stop patting themselves on the back and get some more information.

I’m another hair shedder. (Not long just very very thick and apparently constantly needs to regrow itself.) It gets everywhere. As a true crime follower it makes me laugh, I would have to shave my head to get away with anything ever.

(This is probably why my first reaction to the mention of accidental transfer of the wife’s hair was sympathy.)

Also, seems like we’ve got yet another dumb suspect here who doesn’t know how to cover his tracks online. Thank the stars for idiots.
Yes, he definitely doesn't understand the basic concept of a burner phone either!

So LE knew that the victims' phones and the burner phone were in the same areas (Massapequa Park & Midtown Manhattan) and they also had a detailed description of a client & the car he drove early on in the investigation. I understand why running the mDNA on the hairs found at the crime scene wasn't possible back then (2011-2012), but I wonder why LE didn't search for people living in Massapequa Park and/or Midtown Manhattan who fit the description and had a Chevy Avalanche registered in their name. Assuming RH has a driver's license, the NY DMV would already have his height/weight and vehicle information on file, so it seems they would've been able to identify RH as a suspect much earlier than 2022.
Yeah, this is interesting to me as well. I'm thinking of the Idaho case where the car was also important and they got him in 6 weeks. Perhaps it was registered in someone else's name?

Even if you just take the population of Massapequa park (17k) and limit it to males in a reasonable age range who fit the description of white and very tall... that doesn't leave you with that many people to look into

One thing that has always interested me is the use of "burner phones" by the suspect. So called "burner phones" are ultimately identifiable. I've used Tracfone, and I had to give them a 2nd phone number that was mine, my name, and an email address. Even if I'd given false information, prepaid services like Tracfone require refilling minutes, usually with a credit card purchase, although there are refill cards. The refill cards are validated at a retailer cash register, so where they were purchased can be discovered. I think many of those transactions are traceable. LE would need subpoenas for that information, but together with cell tower locations, I think that Heuermann could have been identified much earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopE