Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a registered (licensed) architect, and his license can be verified on the State of New York license verification site: Verification Search | Office of the Professions He was first registered in 1996. It wasn't a glamorous practice, but the services have a market and require appropriate credentials.

As long as he was registered, he was legally entitled to use the term "architect" to describe himself and his occupation. Also, not all architects design buildings. There are many specialized tasks outside of pure design that architects do. There are consultants in many cities who offer the same service Heuermann did. There are also architects who specialize in construction drawings, figuring out how to assemble today's complex buildings, and specification writers, who write the material specifications for projects. There are also architects who manage projects, with others doing the design. Others do mainly remodeling. In government, architects can be code officials, planners or manage projects done by others. The American Institute of Architects website has information: AIA

This has nothing to do with the east coast. Architects all over the US and Canada work within specialties that do not involve designing new buildings. The use of the term architect is subject to legal constraints in the US, and one can call oneself an architect only if registered/licensed. Registered and licensed are synonomous.
That link went through, but the search function didn't work. Perhaps it's being overwhelmed right now? I, too just heard on NBC News about his profession.

Architecture is a 5-year (plus) college degree, and they have to take boards and do continuing education in order to actively practice, just like your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, barber, beautician, accountant, locksmith (if you're in Illinois), etc.

The facts in the bail filing are disturbing. Forgetting for a moment his burners being in the right areas at the time, both Melissa and Megan's phones were shown traveling for the last time to Massapequa. After this, Amber and her BF pulled the ruse on him and he was not happy, texting her that she owed him a "credit". And, so she met him. This time when his burner showed up to her house her phone didn't follow to Massapequa because she left it behind. If only she'd never met him for his "credit". MOO

Pages 5-7

I'm really struck by how tall and big he is--for some reason I thought he'd be around 6 feet and relatively "buffed" looking. I had pretty much given up hope on this case ever being solved, I thought he was too meticulous and brilliant for that to ever happen. Really can't believe he wasn't aware of the hairs. What really blew my mind was he still had one burner phone! Now i jumped to conclusions that it was one used to contact one of the Gilgo 4, but it most likely was the one used recently. Still not very bright--I imagine he'd gotten pretty comfortable and felt he'd gotten away with it for the most part. Thank God the DNA technology and the phone tracing capabilities improved enough to nail him! I think it's probable he's going to have a trophies cache hidden somewhere. So the "mastermind" gets taken down-so stunning!

I'm really conflicted on this one. When she went missing/where she went missing and where she was found are huge red flags for me, obviously.

Her phone call when taken in its entirety, however, gives me a lot of pause. Schizophrenia runs in her family, and while she may not have been schizophrenic, there's a litany of related conditions that can manifest in odd ways, but not necessarily all catastrophically negative as full-blown paranoid schizophrenia. When under the influence of alcohol, someone so afflicted can become extremely disoriented and entirely lose the thread of reality around them for extended periods and suddenly snap back without memory of the previous few minutes they were drifting. Her phone call gave me flashbacks to my first marriage, where my wife's maternal grandfather was full-blown schizophrenic. There would be little flashes of some odd lesser-known symptoms of schizophrenia here and there(difficulties with abstraction and concreteness, mostly), but nothing terribly concerning or harmful. However, when she'd been drinking, she would be unable to maintain the thread of any conversation for any extended sort of period. If the conversation changed topics, she would suddenly think we were still talking about the subject we left 5-10 minutes prior, and get frustrated and accuse me of gaslighting her when I would get confused and ask what she was talking about. This would be followed by hours of hyperactive combativeness interspersed with long stretches of near-catatonic silence.

This is just based on my personal experience, but that's what that phone call sounds like to me. I don't think anyone was chasing her or trying to hurt her. I think the phone call is evidence of a near-catastrophic mix of chemicals and neurological short-circuits. She's struggling(and largely failing) to maintain situational awareness for the entire duration of the call before panic takes hold and she bolts.

. . . But where she was found, man.

I just don't know.

She was not in a psychotic episode. She behaved rationally. Professionals in her 911 thread agree that she was sane and coherent.

I've never heard that she had that dx; she has had others that are known publically.
But it would not matter if she was in a psychotic condition. That doesn't explain Brewer or Paks behavior.

Once again, if she was trying to get the police, but had very good reason to avoid them.

Pak obviously did not want her picked up because he could have just left.

Brewer obviously did not want her picked up because he didn't just call the police, an ambulance, etc.

The behavior of the men does not make sense. This is a fact no matter how she was acting. I believe she was very coherent and smart... gave herself a chance by calling 911. But if you think she was out of he4 mind, why would the guys in the background try to calm her and chase her? Her being coherent or crazy does not explain the men.

MOO

Excellent. Thanks.
No problem, happy to help. I bought it earlier this year, after first having read it through my library about five years ago. It's such a complex case, I know digital is great for a lot, but sometimes, it's faster just to be able to flick to a relevant chapter. I'm just glad Kolker had the exact dates.

MOO

I was referring to college or architectural school bc someone mentioned Springfield 3 "Springfield man" being referenced in the bond motion.
I read that he attended NYIT (a large number of LI architects have gone there, it’s very popular), at this point you can get your BArch at the LI campus and MArch in Brooklyn, but back when he graduated you may have been able to do both on LI. I’m not sure.

The facts in the bail filing are disturbing. Forgetting for a moment his burners being in the right areas at the time, both Melissa and Megan's phones were shown traveling for the last time to Massapequa. After this, Amber and her BF pulled the ruse on him and he was not happy, texting her that she owed him a "credit". And, so she met him. This time when his burner showed up to her house her phone didn't follow to Massapequa because she left it behind. If only she'd never met him for his "credit". MOO

Pages 5-7
When I heard about Amber and her bf pulling the ruse on him I was sort of astonished. What amazes me even more is WHY would she agree to meet him again and let him talk her into leaving her phone?! Such a tragedy!

Well, that is quite the indictment, in all the meanings of the word. There are a couple of things percolating in my mind. JMO follows. Obviously, they’re charging him in the cases with the strongest evidence, that’s sensible and doesn’t mean more charges aren’t in the offing. We’ve seen before how further cases are added once everything is underway. The other thing is, there has been loads of really good work from the police here, many trails followed, and diverse evidentiary categories investigated. My thoughts are about the prior scandal plagued administration in the department. It seems there were a plethora of possibilities that, once opened up, bore fruit. The previous administration’s inertia and, in fact stonewalling, to include violating a court order to release Shannen’s call to 911, are even more concerning in light of this truly impressive investigation. MOO of course.
Lastly, as much as I can, I want to emphasize that this is all IMO. No one will never convince me that Shannen, a) truly had nothing to fear, solely suffering from utterly organic sudden psychosis, and b) Shannen, in the grip of this entirely unfounded terror, proceeded to run off into the darkness and conveniently drop dead on top of a serial killer‘s dumping ground; a dumping ground comprised largely of victims in precisely the same line of work, with the same customer communication, as Shannen, which, by dint of the fact her remains were accidentally found by a police dog on a break, set all this into motion. If I believed that, I could believe in a WSU co ed with long brown hair, parted in the middle, going hiking in 1973 on Taylor Mountain, falling over some rocks, dying of blunt force trauma to the head, and landing directly on top of Ted Bundy’s victim dumping ground. All JMO.

Here's something that strikes me as odd. According to DS, the guy who Amber was meeting the night of her murder offered her a lot of money for an overnight. DS also said she talked to him on the phone for quite some time before agreeing to the date. If they had ripped him off just the night before, wouldn't Amber have recognized his voice, or at least his face and refused to get in the car ?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels " off " to me.
The bail doc says he texted her saying she owed him a "credit" but didn't want it to be at her house again, and she went to his house. She knew it was the same guy.

She was not in a psychotic episode. She behaved rationally. Professionals in her 911 thread agree that she was sane and coherent.

I've never heard that she had that dx; she has had others that are known publically.
But it would not matter if she was in a psychotic condition. That doesn't explain Brewer or Paks behavior.

Once again, if she was trying to get the police, but had very good reason to avoid them.

Pak obviously did not want her picked up because he could have just left.

Brewer obviously did not want her picked up because he didn't just call the police, an ambulance, etc.

The behavior of the men does not make sense. This is a fact no matter how she was acting. I believe she was very coherent and smart... gave herself a chance by calling 911. But if you think she was out of he4 mind, why would the guys in the background try to calm her and chase her? Her being coherent or crazy does not explain the men.

MOO
I’m with you 100% and posted before I read yours. Nowadays the trend is to say ‘they had a psych condition’ it’s the new ‘runaway’ solely my opinion, and not intended as a specific reply to anyone who disagrees whose post I haven’t read yet, just my general observation in reply to your post.

I mean, this guy is such a doofus he took selfies on his secret burner phones he used to lure and kill sex workers. I doubt he knew or bothered with the ins and outs of using private browsing or a VPN to look up other material that he will no doubt be facing charges for.

MOO
I agree-I thought the killer was so meticulous and cunning that he'd never be caught. The phone calls to Melissa's sister weren't very smart and like you said to take selfies with the burner phones?--wow...I'm now wondering if his office wasn't really close to where he placed a couple of those calls from Manhattan to her sister as well. Not very smart to be sure!

Here's something that strikes me as odd. According to DS, the guy who Amber was meeting the night of her murder offered her a lot of money for an overnight. DS also said she talked to him on the phone for quite some time before agreeing to the date. If they had ripped him off just the night before, wouldn't Amber have recognized his voice, or at least his face and refused to get in the car ?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels " off " to me.

Amber has been described as a heroin addict in a number of sources on earlier threads. Perhaps her state of mind or drug use clouded her judgement and other reflexes. She might have been desperate. IMO some clients might find drug use unappealing and risky. Her need for the money to buy heroin may have overcome caution and rational thinking.

Even though shannan’s death isn’t attributed to this guy, it’s sad her mom isn’t here to see an arrest. I remember watching something her mom was in and she seemed really invested (I mean, obviously). What a tragedy, that family. So much loss.
I know-the Gilbert family has gone through so much...really heartbreaking.

Mr Heuermann was first linked to the cold case in March 2022 after investigators discovered that a Chevrolet Avalanche registered to Mr Heuermann was possibly the one spotted by a witness in Costello’s disappearance.
<p>Heuermann was arrested on Thursday night in connection with the Gilgo Beach murders</p>

Further analysis also allegedly linked Mr Heuermann to taunting calls made to family members of the victims, according to investigators. The calls were made from the Midtown Manhattan area, where the offices of Mr Heuerman’s architecture business are located.

“Defendant Heuermann also searched for and viewed articles concerning the very Task Force that was investigating him,” investigators noted in the bail application.

More forensic analysis revealed that female hairs found in the three crime scene locations belonged to Mr Heuermann’s wife. However, authorities have determined through cellphone records that Mr Heuermann’s wife was out of state when the murders took place.

At the time Barthelemy went missing in July 2009, Mr Heuermann’s wife was in Iceland. She visited Maryland around the time Waterman disappeared in June 2010, and also travelled to New Jersey when Costello was last seen in September of that year.

“It is likely that the burlap, tape, vehicle(s) or other instrumentalities utilized in furtherance of these murders came from Defendant Heuermann’s residence, where his wife also resides, or was transferred from his clothing,” prosecutors explained.

My first thought was "who is he linked to". Curious to know if he has ties with the people of interest we have all discussed over the last decade +. Long Island...people know this guy and they have information. I think if he is guilty, he is not the only murderer. I guess we have to wait for Tierney and Bellone to stop patting themselves on the back and get some more information.
LE did away with the burlap connection in their press conference. But, I still can't stop thinking about how badly JB was villanized

It will be interesting to see what "trophies" he kept from his victims. I imagine that he did. Remember, the things that BTK kept from his victims. I think that he had them in the shed behind his house. RH had to have kept things hidden some place, too, whether at home or at his office.

JMO.
Yes, I bet they will find jewelry and licenses at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertlou