Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure they still made polaroid instant cameras into the 2000's.

It's also possible that Heuermann could have come in contact with people who shared his kink through *advertiser censored* sites, message boards, meet ups, etc. and a "friend" developed the pics for him. I doubt that's likely, but who knows ? Maybe LE should ask John Bittroll, eh ?

polaroids are still around today

I just did a little bit of reading up on the dark web because I thought maybe he could have possibly been sharing files to it. Just reading about it and all its secrecy and anonymity, it doesn’t sound like anything good is used for it, IMO.

One thing I did take note of was that his HK document in the latest court papers was for 2002-2004 and from what I read, the term dark web emerged in 2009 and when it actually started is still vague and unknown. Does anyone know more about the origins or year that the dark web came into existence?

MOO ~ you have to really know what you’re doing and be pretty tech savvy to access the DW, at least it seems like it to me.

or if, like me,you stumble onto a site by accident and someone instantly tracks your IP and threatens you to leave immediately

that's happened to me twice

What would be the likelihood of all 3 bodies being placed in the same positioning, missing a left shoe and with wood shavings left at the scenes by two different killers?

"Though Bittrolff’s DNA was not found on Costilla, all three victims were displayed in the same sexual manner and missing a single shoe, prosecutors said, and wood shavings were found at all three scenes. Both Tangredi and McNamee were known to engage in sex work, while Costilla “led a similar lifestyle,” Spota said."
I wonder, where the left shoes might be .....?

Add in the fact that Bittrolff's DNA was linked to Rita Tangredi and Colleen McNamee, and Rex Heuermann's DNA was linked to Sandra Costilla, and all 3 bodies were identically posed, I'd say the odds are astronomical that JB and RH had never come in contact with each other.

JMO
There is something very terrifying and disturbing about the thought of them both being in contact with each other.

It’s like two serial killers having an accountability partner

Or like two old men who to park to play chess and enjoy the senior city life

Except these individuals are vile and are done terrorizing NY and withholding justice and accountability from the families whose heinous crimes robbed them of their loved ones

But maybe I am just being a chicken or overdramatic because I’m from LI and the woods are scary enough

There is something very terrifying and disturbing about the thought of them both being in contact with each other.

Except these individuals are vile and are done terrorizing NY and withholding justice and accountability from the families whose heinous crimes robbed them of their loved ones

But maybe I am just being a chicken or overdramatic because I’m from LI and the woods are scary enough
No way, the idea of those two like hanging out together-- it sends a chill up and down my spine. Honestly, I have always, always thought RH was a lone actor, did everything solo. Could you imagine getting like cooperation with something like this?? It's mindboggling. And I wouldn't really seriously entertain the idea till I saw that HK doc. It's like this comfortable attitude, this out-in-the-open kind of quality. Like conversational. It's too conversational, it looks like he's been discussing it with someone. Now, maybe not. But they're both hunters, close in age, both leaving dead young women out in Manorville. I don't understand the point of film for photos mentioned in RH's doc if RH is going to destroy the photos so quickly, it scares me and makes me think the "disposal" is actually going to be RH giving them to someone else. People buy these cabins out in the woods, these duck boats, and they often "chip in" and purchase it for everyone in the group to use. Meaning RH's name might not even be on it if there's some cabin somewhere. So now I'm looking at the horrifying stuff about the push pins and drop cloths and wondering on that. And I always thought Peaches was murdered indoors, I'm wondering about his home, too. While I don't think he "always" used the home (I think he rarely if ever did), I mean he may well have used it. It's just beyond belief. Seriously. And the idea of JB and RH together?? It's just incredible in the most horrible way. But maybe he was just "copycatting" Bittrolff so Bittrolff would be blamed.

I'm not convinced they are both serial killers. What I do know is that there were 3 woman murdered and posed in exactly the same fashion and that Bittrolff was convicted in the murder of 2 of those women and Heuerman is charged with the murder of the 3rd woman.

Oh, and I also know that both men were hunters and both had professions in the field of construction.

Curious coincidences if you ask me. But what do I know ?

No way, the idea of those two like hanging out together-- it sends a chill up and down my spine. Honestly, I have always, always thought RH was a lone actor, did everything solo. Could you imagine getting like cooperation with something like this?? It's mindboggling. And I wouldn't really seriously entertain the idea till I saw that HK doc. It's like this comfortable attitude, this out-in-the-open kind of quality. Like conversational. It's too conversational, it looks like he's been discussing it with someone. Now, maybe not. But they're both hunters, close in age, both leaving dead young women out in Manorville. I don't understand the point of film for photos mentioned in RH's doc if RH is going to destroy the photos so quickly, it scares me and makes me think the "disposal" is actually going to be RH giving them to someone else. People buy these cabins out in the woods, these duck boats, and they often "chip in" and purchase it for everyone in the group to use. Meaning RH's name might not even be on it if there's some cabin somewhere. So now I'm looking at the horrifying stuff about the push pins and drop cloths and wondering on that. And I always thought Peaches was murdered indoors, I'm wondering about his home, too. While I don't think he "always" used the home (I think he rarely if ever did), I mean he may well have used it. It's just beyond belief. Seriously. And the idea of JB and RH together?? It's just incredible in the most horrible way. But maybe he was just "copycatting" Bittrolff so Bittrolff would be blamed.
To the best of my knowledge, it was never reported how Rita Tangredi and Collen McNamee were posed until just recently. I don't know how Heuermann would know those details. Unless he has a friend in LE who told him.

That was something I was worried about and wondering too. Like maybe he did have one confidant that he could trust to protect both his secret and trophies. As cliche or unoriginal as I sound at first I was thinking maybe it could be a cousin or like a favorite uncle who only ever sees the best in him and is in total denial.

However, I wonder now too if he and Birtroff did become aware of each other. Both these monstrous murderers preyed on sex workers, took advantage of LE’a discrimination against their victims to abuse, dehumanize and murder them, used Manorville Park to stage their crimes while using the city to pick their next victims. They used their homes, or really their parents’ home to carry out their unspeakable crimes and both were drawn to Oak Beach for some reason.

I can’t but wonder if RH came across Rita Tangredi’s remains before LE discovered them and then had the audacity to further insult the integrity of Costilla’s remains by using them and their location as a calling card to Bittrolff. Like planned on Bittrolff finding them so he knew he wasn’t the only killer in the neighborhood or area.

This is just speculation but I think about how Ed Kemper warned the FBI during his interview that he just knew that there were at least 90 other serial killers active in America and wonder if RH and Birtroff had scouted each other or Manorville too before including the parks in their murders.

After all, they had to assess and consider the higher risk of getting caught or their victims being discovered if a lot of other illegal activities, including drug and human trafficking, gang activity, disposal and sale of illegal firearms were also being carried in the same park.

Just speculation or an interesting thought or theory I had. Realistically though both LI and the park are so huge that chances are they never met or knew about one another before LE released their names to the news

Last edited:
That was something I was worried about and wondering too. Like maybe he did have one confidant that he could trust to protect both his secret and trophies. As cliche or unoriginal as I sound at first I was thinking maybe it could be a cousin or like a favorite uncle who only ever sees the best in him and is in total denial.

However, I wonder now too if he and Birtroff did become aware of each other. Both these monstrous murderers preyed on sex workers, took advantage of LE’a discrimination against their victims to abuse, dehumanize and murder them, used Manorville Park to stage their crimes while using the city to pick their next victims. They used their homes, or really their parents’ home to carry out their unspeakable crimes and both were drawn to Oak Beach for some reason.

I can’t but wonder if RH came across Rita Tangredi’s remains before LE discovered them and then had the audacity to further insult the integrity of Costilla’s remains by using them and their location as a calling card to Bittrolff. Like planned on Bittrolff finding them so he knew he wasn’t the only killer in the neighborhood or area.

This is just speculation but I think about how Ed Kemper warned the FBI during his interview that he just knew that there were at least 90 other serial killers active in America and wonder if RH and Birtroff had scouted each other or Manorville too before including the parks in their murders.

After all, they had to assess and consider the higher risk of getting caught or their victims being discovered if a lot of other illegal activities, including drug and human trafficking, gang activity, disposal and sale of illegal firearms were also being carried in the same park.

Just speculation or an interesting thought or theory I had. Realistically though both LI and the park are so huge that chances are they never met or knew about one another before LE released their names to the news
Well SG did say "they are trying to kill me"
A bunch of sick sadists maybe filming

Would push pins actually support the weight of drop clothes?? Looking online: Push pin holds up to 1 lb.
Looking... Trimaco SuperTuff Canvas drop cloths are available in four weights – 6oz, 8oz, 10oz and 12oz.

Okay, so that's looking like a yes, but I'm sort of picturing this, and those cloths would have to create a huge drape if what's being considered here actually occurred (which it looks to me like it may have, too).

He says sound travels, mentions bird outside. He says to control the amount of air in and out to control the noise made. ?? Where would he be able to control amount of air in and out?? In and out of what? That sounds like a bunker atmosphere from Doomsday Preppers. If you're talking about a house, you'd say close windows, not control air flow. That sounds like some makeshift, specialized structure.

He says get sleep before hunt. Makes me wonder if he IS literally talking about a spot out in the woods.
Notes "Spur of the moment," "Cover?" "Stockholm Syndrome" Okay, without seeing it in full context, I thought AE for Stockholm, but if he needs "cover," he's been caught on the "spur of the moment," I would think? So how would "Stockholm Syndrome" give him cover?? Like one of the victims if he's holding her captive is going to "cover" for RH, nooo way. But if caught, when the victim starts telling LE about RH, he'd implicate someone else, maybe? And claim victim has Stockholm Syndrome and victim feels sorry for the someone else, and is trying to pin it on (somehow) innocent RH. Which would be the creepiest version of "Some Other Dude" ever created. Maybe this is why he gets so much info on his targets, so he can find someone to blame. Or maybe he already has someone himself he knows he can blame. It's a stretch, I have no idea what to make of this "Cover?" "Stockholm Syndrome." But it would seem like there's a "him" behind it all to blame, "some other" abusive "him."

I know it's crazy, but the whole thing is deranged.

Last edited:
Would push pins actually support the weight of drop clothes?? Looking online: Push pin holds up to 1 lb.
Looking... Trimaco SuperTuff Canvas drop cloths are available in four weights – 6oz, 8oz, 10oz and 12oz.

Okay, so that's looking like a yes, but I'm sort of picturing this, and those cloths would have to create a huge drape if what's being considered here actually occurred (which it looks to me like it may have, too).

He says sound travels, mentions bird outside. He says to control the amount of air in and out to control the noise made. ?? Where would he be able to control amount of air in and out?? In and out of what? That sounds like a bunker atmosphere from Doomsday Preppers. If you're talking about a house, you'd say close windows, not control air flow. That sounds like some makeshift, specialized structure.

He says get sleep before hunt. Makes me wonder if he IS literally talking about a spot out in the woods.
Notes "Spur of the moment," "Cover?" "Stockholm Syndrome" Okay, without seeing it in full context, I thought AE for Stockholm, but if he needs "cover," he's been caught on the "spur of the moment," I would think? So how would "Stockholm Syndrome" give him cover?? Like one of the victims if he's holding her hostage is going to "cover" for RH, nooo way. But if caught, when the victim starts telling LE about RH, he'd implicate someone else, maybe? And claim victim has Stockholm Syndrome and victim feels sorry for the someone else, and is trying to pin it on (somehow) innocent RH. Which would be the creepiest version of "Some Other Dude" ever created. Maybe this is why he gets so much info on his targets, so he can find someone to blame. Or maybe he already has someone himself he knows he can blame. It's a stretch, I have no idea what to make of this "Cover?" "Stockholm Syndrome." But it would seem like there's a "him" behind it all to blame, "some other" abusive "him."

I agree about the bunker type structure. If he has taken ideas from other killers and sadists it's mind blowing.
A place for him to spend days or longer torturing, filming then doing all the washdown clean-up etc It is beyond comprehension.

Notes "Spur of the moment," "Cover?" "Stockholm Syndrome" Okay, without seeing it in full context, I thought AE for Stockholm, but if he needs "cover," he's been caught on the "spur of the moment," I would think? So how would "Stockholm Syndrome" give him cover?? Like one of the victims if he's holding her captive is going to "cover" for RH, nooo way. But if caught, when the victim starts telling LE about RH, he'd implicate someone else, maybe? And claim victim has Stockholm Syndrome and victim feels sorry for the someone else, and is trying to pin it on (somehow) innocent RH. Which would be the creepiest version of "Some Other Dude" ever created. Maybe this is why he gets so much info on his targets, so he can find someone to blame. Or maybe he already has someone himself he knows he can blame. It's a stretch, I have no idea what to make of this "Cover?" "Stockholm Syndrome." But it would seem like there's a "him" behind it all to blame, "some other" abusive "him."

Control the air in and out relates to the victim, IMO.

These are primarily cases with strangulation, after all.

I suspect part of the torture was seeing how long he could strangle and revive them for. And a person being strangled is going to be quieter than one who isn't.

The method gave him pleasure, but also kept the victims quiet, which was important in a suburban area. He still built himself a bunker with thick walls, though, so maybe sometimes he couldn't control the noise, or would let them make occasional sounds as part of his method.

Very much my option only, and after that dive into the swamp, I'm going to have a bath.

This is dark, but I think he wanted "Stockholm Syndrome" in the sense he wanted to film/photo a torture victim looking like she wanted it or at least willingly complied. Grim thought.

I think the photos are going to play a big role. Speculation only, not fact.

jmo

I hope the only thing linking RH to Costilla's murder isn't a DNA match from a single hair. Given the likelihood that Costilla was an escort...it would be incredibly easy for his attorney to argue that RH engaged her professional services, but didn't kill her.
That was Bittrolff's argument: "Proof of sex isn't proof of murder", but it didn't work for him. And no, it is on Costilla that the hair matching the live-in girlfriend was found as well. It's too early to remember the rest.

I must admit that "sleeping on it" has made me question Bittrolff's conviction less. Had Spota wanted JB for Costilla and IF JB had been set up for it, would the DA not just have pretended the hairs on all 3 were the same?

Instead, the hair on Costilla was sent for comparison and came back as no match. I'd like to know what kind of DNA JB left and where it was located.

The idea that he actually had this mindset where he could "jot this down" like someone making a grocery list or a vacation checklist-- it's beyond bizarre. It's adding a whole new dimension of concern for me. It's way, way too "matter of fact." It's the attitude that worries me, the comfort level he had. And the idea that this is stored on a computer. LE would be able to extract that if they really tried. But for whatever reason, RH obviously felt comfortable enough with the steps he'd taken to delete. Evidently, that's an area where he didn't do "his homework." What I'm saying is, this makes him look too comfortable, almost like he felt protected. But by what, by whom? I agree with you on the audience. I just hope it was completely fictional. Probably. I've always thought he acted alone. With these new developments, I'm not as sure.
These comment made me think of software and how college professors can take whole sections of documents/papers to look for Plagiarism. Then I remembered how easy it is just to Google sections of writing to find sources on the web. I wonder if LE has looked at this document and tried to see if it was posted on the web/dark web. Just some thoughts…

Unless he had his own dark room, he'd be taking a big risk sending those kinds of photos to a commercial lab. It's one of those questions we won't learn the answer to until trial.

With two new murders added, Rex's defense attorney is going to have a mountain of discovery to review. I wonder how they court is going to organize this? Try all the murder cases at once or focus on just a few, where they have the most witnesses and evidence?
I forget. How does a case qualify as a federal case? The DP would be such a helpful bargaining chip in this situation.

Well SG did say "they are trying to kill me"
A bunch of sick sadists maybe filming
And unfortunately another one would become Police Chief of Suffolk’s Police Department, disrespect and malign her, her mother, the other victims and their families while stifling the investigation into their murders and disappearances so that instead he could spend time at work indulging in breaking the law by procuring snuff *advertiser censored* and physically and sexually abusing sex workers, informants, civilians, fellow officers and those he placed under arrest. The only work-life balance he practiced was being the Chief of Police and a criminal simultaneously.

He accused SG and the other victims of being a disgrace because they were sex workers when his behavior was so pathological that he doesn’t need to be the Long Island Serial Killer to deserve a cell with RH. I would bet another secret reason Burke never caught LISK during his career is because LISK was the only other person he was aware of in the area who was as sick as him. Technically Burke wasn’t alone in his filth anymore.

I imagine he never felt more at home then when he went to prison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member