Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just throwing this in the mix.

"Gasps were heard in the courtroom as Suffolk County prosecutor Nicholas Santomartino described the disturbing content he said authorities discovered on Heuermann’s devices, including a planning document outlining a strategy for future killings."

The mentioning of him buying multiple ponds gave me chills. I wonder if he planned to use it to bury more evidence or trophies? My family used to have one and if any of the ones he wanted are similar he could have also chosen to fill one in like my family did and use the space or hole for other purposes, including hiding belongings or evidence against, and then seal and unseal it at his discretion.

He could have also use the guise of landscaping and planting new trees and bushes for that purpose too unfortunately.

I had no idea about the geography of LI until just now. So, that's (Gilgo and other beach towns) essentially a barrier island or sand bar. Very remote and, I'll bet spooky driving out there at night. I'm also surprised there's such not over populated places near NYC. It's very beautiful.
I grew up my whole life on Long Island and I can confirm it is both beautiful and very spooky. I always think of that comment on The Killing Season when he describes along Island as a pressure cooker and breeding ground for serial killers to be born. It’s a very unique, and interesting, place.

What was the DNA evidence of JB’s that was found on Tangredi & McNamee? Was it semen? Was it was lifted off of clothing or the body?

I honestly didn’t know until now just how close together these victims were murdered time-wise or how all three were found in the same positioning, all missing a left shoe. That is extremely unsettling to me.
I didn't follow the JB trial and just recently found out about him.

From the little I've read, it appears JB has always claimed his innocence (but they all do anyway!). His lawyer stated that even though they found his DNA in the form of semen on two of the women, that doesn't mean he killed them, it means only that he had had sex with them.

RH's victim Sandra Costilla was found Nov 20 1993 while the two victims JB was charged with were Rita Tangredi found Nov 2 1993 and Colleen McNamee found Jan 30 1994.

The timing of these three murders occurred shortly after RHs first wife or girlfriend (Witness 3) moved out of the house in Sept 1993, and his mother had moved out previously in 1993, according to the superseding bail document from Jun 6 2024. It looks they've only found evidence (2 hairs) to tie RH to Sandra's murder at this point.

I'm wondering if RH went on a rampage after his mother and first wife (or gf Witness 3) moved out and killed all three women over Nov, Dec and Jan.

MOO.

Last edited:
“The 60-year-old architect was taken by surprise by Thursday’s charges, and he is “in a bad place in terms of the new charges,” his attorney Michael Brown said after his client appeared in an eastern Long Island courtroom. Heuermann was remanded without bail and is expected in court July 30.”

He was floored that they found his deleted files. Being the first search was done last summer immediately following his arrest and they just did a second one, he probably thought without a doubt that they would never in a million years have found anything.

I love that this task force is now steps ahead of him. I feel it in my gut they will find more files and I think he knows it too. I wonder if there’s a lot of evidence they’ll keep undisclosed until the trial.
Does anyone know if Attorney Brown was given a copy of the superseding bail application before RH went before the judge on Thurs. morning so he could become somewhat familiar with it?

I grew up my whole life on Long Island and I can confirm it is both beautiful and very spooky. I always think of that comment on The Killing Season when he describes along Island as a pressure cooker and breeding ground for serial killers to be born. It’s a very unique, and interesting, place.
The Pacific Northwest seems similar. Something indescribable and primal that draws people to it who want to sit in that environment like a malignant force, hurting innocents who wander into their orbit. Beautiful, wild spaces that entice all, both good and those with evil in their hearts.

The landscape isn't sinister or malignant in itself but killers do seem drawn to certain places and I don't think anyone really knows why. It isn't just wilderness and victim availability. Secluded places and victims are everywhere. But serial killers do cluster sometimes in a time and place, and I don't know if there is a reason or just the kind of randomness that looks like a pattern but actually isn't, and is just coincidence, as much as it doesn't look like it to our pattern hungry brains.

MOO

I also don’t think he has intercourse with them. Too risky for transfer of DNA.
And yet, apparently Bittrolff did:
"
At the 2017 trial, Bittrolff's lawyer conceded it was possible his client had sex with the two women but said that didn't mean he killed them. Multiple sperm samples were found on the two women.

Prosecutors relied on the testimony of Suffolk County Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Caplan, who said he analyzed the density of the sperm to conclude Bittrolff had sex with them shortly before their deaths.

Defense lawyers did not call an expert to rebut that. But in an appeal motion, they cited DNA analyst and molecular biologist Dr. Karl Reich, who described sperm density analysis as 'pure junk science.'"

In other words, there were multiple DNA samples on the women. Wonder if JB's was the only one on both? Or did Spota just jump on it when JB's brother Timothy's DNA appeared as a familial match with one of the DNAs?

Last edited:
From LI too and I agree. One nice or soothing fact though I learned about the Oak Beach area if you visit during the early Fall, like in September, you can watch and listen to a bunch of baby seals and their parents while reflecting on the rocks. They are also hoping to place a memorial dedicated to all those found on Ocean Parkway too for the families and those who want to pay their respects or remember.

And he was spot on in the Killing Season, IMO. It is really weird how the timelines and geographic locations overlap between Rifkin (1989-1993), Bittrolff (1993) and RH. Tragically, not all of Rifkins victims have been identified or had their names restored to them yet.

There was also another predator, Robert Shulman, who unfortunately robbed three women of their lives in his home Hicksville between 1994-1995. I only just learned about him. It all is probably just a coincidence but still it stood out to me when you mentioned the Killing Season.

From the little I've read, it appears JB has always claimed his innocence (but they all do anyway!). His lawyer stated that even though they found his DNA in the form of semen on two of the women, that doesn't mean he killed them, it means only that he had had sex with them.

RH's victim Sandra Costilla was found Nov 20 1993 while the two victims JB was charged with were Rita Tangredi found Nov 2 1993 and Colleen McNamee found Jan 30 1994.

The timing of these three murders occurred shortly after RHs first wife or girlfriend (Witness 3) moved out of the house in Sept 1993, and his mother had moved out earlier in the year of 1993, according to the superseding bail document from Jun 6 2024. It looks they've only found evidence (2 hairs) to tie him to Sandra's murder at this point.

I'm wondering if RH went on a rampage after his mother and first wife (or gf Witness 3) moved out and killed all three women over Nov, Dec and Jan.

MOO.

Call me a suspicious soul, but I don't see someone doing sex work in '93/'94 with any kind of sense of self preservation having unprotected sex with a client without a condom.

HIV/AIDS was ravaging the community at that point, especially among sex workers. No glove, no love was real. Everyone knew how it was transmitted by then, and though it was after the approval of AZT, it wasn't until '97 that triple cocktail (combination) antiretroviral approach was used and outcomes drastically began to improve.

I know there are other things that could result in semen on a person, I'm not naive, but if he's claiming he had consensual penetrative sex, I'm raising a major eyebrow.

MOO

I grew up right over the Nassau border in Suffolk on the North Shore and there's very clear distinctions in the topography between the South Shore, the North Shore and everything in-between.
After moving with family to Vermont in the early 1990s the only things I missed was the ocean,built in swimming pools,good Italian products and restaurants,good Chinese restaurants and NY pizza.
When I return to the island I'm overwhelmed getting on the LIE and then all the shopping malls and cement.
I avoid going back unless for a wedding etc.
I'm sure the little villages are still just as quaint and touristy.

No, NY state law is that DNA is not put into a database until someone is convicted. An accused person is presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law, and protecting that assumption is what I'm assuming is behind the law.

jmo
Is LE allowed to compare the dna from the evidence to other crime dna evidence (in CODIS) without directly using a dna sample collected from RH??
So. Enter the hair dna to codis? Link that hair dna to other crimes?

Last edited:

The timing of these three murders occurred shortly after RHs first wife or girlfriend (Witness 3) moved out of the house in Sept 1993, and his mother had moved out previously in 1993, according to the superseding bail document from Jun 6 2024. It looks they've only found evidence (2 hairs) to tie RH to Sandra's murder at this point.

MOO.

Does anyone know if Attorney Brown was given a copy of the superseding bail application before RH went before the judge on Thurs. morning so he could become somewhat familiar with it?
I could be wrong on this but I believe Brown alluded to the press that he himself barely got time to look it over before appearing before the judge on Thursday, so if he was given a copy, it was on extremely short notice. I’m sure he’s overwhelmed at this point.

Interesting Forest_Wood….. I don’t know…… I sort of think maybe he did remember it, or portions of it at least? What he didn’t recall though, was on which of those supposed 27 computers or 58 hard drives was it located? Maybe that was what he was pondering as the facts unrolled before him?

I think that interview with the French gentleman was much more recent, maybe circa 2022 IIRC? Yet with the time it seems RH was planning, have to wonder what he was doing in his Manhattan office on the computer when the visitor arrived? Wondering if anything incriminatory was found on his work computers or devices? MOO
I've said it before and am thinking it again, with all of RHs planning, preparing, fantasizing, scoping, meeting, and doing, I don't know how he had any time left over for any kind of living at all, or being present in any way, shape or form. It's difficult to comprehend. I've wondered about his work computers / devices too! LE hasn't mentioned anything found specifically from his work, but who knows! I get the impression he was constantly on the hunt of some kind. MOO.

From LI too and I agree. One nice or soothing fact though I learned about the Oak Beach area if you visit during the early Fall, like in September, you can watch and listen to a bunch of baby seals and their parents while reflecting on the rocks. They are also hoping to place a memorial dedicated to all those found on Ocean Parkway too for the families and those who want to pay their respects or remember.

And he was spot on in the Killing Season, IMO. It is really weird how the timelines and geographic locations overlap between Rifkin (1989-1993), Bittrolff (1993) and RH. Tragically, not all of Rifkins victims have been identified or had their names restored to them yet.

There was also another predator, Robert Shulman, who unfortunately robbed three women of their lives in his home Hicksville between 1994-1995. I only just learned about him. It all is probably just a coincidence but still it stood out to me when you mentioned the Killing Season.
Robert Shulman had at least 5 victims. 2 were dumped up by me in Yonkers (Lori Vasquez and Meresa Hammonds), Kelly Sue Bunting, Medford Jane Doe (with the "Adrian" tattoo), and Lisa Ann Warner.

I could be wrong on this but I believe Brown alluded to the press that he himself barely got time to look it over before appearing before the judge on Thursday, so if he was given a copy, it was on extremely short notice. I’m sure he’s overwhelmed at this point.
Thanks for that, it certainly makes sense.

Call me a suspicious soul, but I don't see someone doing sex work in '93/'94 with any kind of sense of self preservation having unprotected sex with a client without a condom.

HIV/AIDS was ravaging the community at that point, especially among sex workers. No glove, no love was real. Everyone knew how it was transmitted by then, and though it was after the approval of AZT, it wasn't until '97 that triple cocktail (combination) antiretroviral approach was used and outcomes drastically began to improve.

I know there are other things that could result in semen on a person, I'm not naive, but if he's claiming he had consensual penetrative sex, I'm raising a major eyebrow.

MOO
Some body cavities are more prone to be the infection route of RNA-based viruses than others. This has lead some ppl to believe it’s without much risk, which is of course untrue, the risk still exists (though much less today in ppl w/ antiviral drugs and good health stats).

IMO It could have been consensual if the sample was taken from the oral cavity.

But it seems unlikely with multiple donors since I believe common sense would lead to very thorough cleaning between “dates”. Unless it was at a “party” where many men partook and one of them (RH) gave her “a ride Home”.

I seriously don’t know why these sick scenarios keep popping up in my brain. Maybe I need to take a break from this.

That's why his wife quickly filed for divorce, imo. For one thing, it protected all their assets from going to his legal fees and leaving her with nothing. And two, the divorce depleted his assets likely to the level where he cannot afford counsel.

(And, of course, I'd like to think she is divorcing him because he's an accused serial killer who used her vacation times to murder young women.)

jmopinion
BBM:
It's been 10 months since AE filed for divorce and it was reported that RH wasn't fighting it.
I haven't seen any updates about it.
If she remains married to him she can't be compelled to testify at the trial so this is a big wait and see,I'm going with she'll hang on to being married throughout,however long it takes.

Macedonio said she filed to protect her assets/$$$$.

IMO:
She doesn't seem too bothered by the charges filed against him because she visits him <modsnip: No link to substantiate>

Rex Heuermann's wife Asa Ellerup filed for divorce 'to ...

1717950088557.png
Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk › news › article-12361051

Aug 1, 2023 — Rex Heuermann's wife Asa Ellerup filed for divorce 'to protect herself' from future lawsuits and has spoken to him in jail, lawyer confirms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members