Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As @Inthedetails said in palm pilot (7/27/2003 Derek cut posts on bandsaw.)

he also was to pick up a Derek 'for' the airport on 7-16-03

ETA: initially I wrote 'to' the airport but it's actually 'for' so someone (Derek)? was getting dropped off there or they both were going somewhere

Last edited:
Derek is on the Palmpilot calendar.

edited to add source: see page 14 https://www.scribd.com/document/739...cation-from-June-6-2024#fullscreen&from_embed

jmo
Has anyone looked for missing young black men (between 2000-2004) named Derek?
Didn't that WS duck-hunter-theory member call-in live on Trisha's old "radio" show with some others?? Was IG, IIRC.
I think that was during the time I was taking my long break- just following news for any breaks. Was that between 2016-2023?

How long can seaman that's found internally be tested for identification/comparison?

Did the 2 girls know each other,if they did there could have been a threesome with JB?

Before RH's arrest for Sandra was there a consensus that JB murdered both Coleen and Rita?

IIRC, none of the three victims had semen from both Bitrollff and Rex. The two women whom Bitrollff was convicted of killing had his semen on them. Sandra Costilla had no semen present on her body. She was connected to Rex H because his hair and that of Witness 3, among other things, were found on her body.

I'm not sure I see a scenario where Rex could be guilty of killing the two women that Bitrollff was convicted of killing? Apologies if I'm misunderstanding this particular discussion.

I think that was during the time I was taking my long break- just following news for any breaks. Was that between 2016-2023?

I think it was earlier than 2016... Trisha had 4 (maybe 5) call-in with their primary theories. I'll look back and can probably tell you at least 3 of them (WS member names)

ETA: Inspector Gadget=duck theory, TruthSpider=dr theory, PBrendt=multiple-killers, and there was a female caller (cannot remember her name). ETAA!! Downtownslim!! (I think ;))

Last edited:
Another for you:

Richard Angelo (1987)

The police corruption alone on Long Island could scare you with that alone.

One more: Richard Cottingham committed most of his murders in New Jersey and Manhattan, but he killed a half dozen women on Long Island when Heuermann was a child and teen, including a woman whose body he left on Jones Beach.

I'm not sure I see a scenario where Rex could be guilty of killing the two women that Bitrollff was convicted of killing? Apologies if I'm misunderstanding this particular discussion.
I think the discrepancy for me is this: How could all three of these women be staged in the same fashion (with the left shoe missing, wood shavings left at the site, in a similar position, and all murdered within a 3-month span) and yet, RH is now charged with one of those murders and JB the other two. How could all those things be a coincidence?
MOO.

Last edited:
I think the discrepancy for me is this: How could all three of these women be staged in the same fashion (with the left shoe missing, wood chips left at the site, in a similar staged position, and all murdered within a 3-month span) and yet, RH is now charged with one of those murders and JB the other two. How could all those things be a coincidence?
MOO.
Does anyone have a source link for these crime scene details? I'm seeing them discussed but I'm not familiar with JB's crimes and my searching is coming up sort. TIA!

Does anyone have a source link for these crime scene details? I'm seeing them discussed but I'm not familiar with JB's crimes and my searching is coming up sort. TIA!

Last edited:
So did Bittrolff have a previous criminal history when he was charged and later convicted of those 2 murders? Probably, otherwise, how did they have his DNA on file to match it to the DNA found on the 2 victims, right? Anyone know what his previous convictions, if any, were for?

In February 1994, he was convicted of an assault he committed in 1990, but his DNA was not on file from that crime. He would have been approaching his trial when Rita Tangredi and Colleen McNamee were killed, and if he did jail time in 1994-???? that might explain why he didn't commit any other crimes (that we know of). Man charged in 1990s murders of 2 prostitutes

His brother Timothy was arrested for a crime and had to submit DNA in 2013, which matched DNA in both murders as a familial hit. John Bittrolff was the second of Timothy's brothers they surveilled and got discarded DNA from, the first brother was not a match. Two Decades After Pair of Killings on Long Island, Authorities Make an Arrest (Published 2014)

I honestly didn’t know until now just how close together these victims were murdered time-wise or how all three were found in the same positioning, all missing a left shoe. That is extremely unsettling to me.

If you read the new bail application for Heuermann (which I actually do not recommend, it's one of the worst things I've ever read), it describes how Sandra Costilla's body was positioned and that she had no clothing on except for a shirt that was covering her face. I won't get too into the details, but the way she's described it almost sounds like her killer dragged her by the legs along the ground. She appears to have been missing both of her shoes and most of her other clothing. The new bail application and Ray Tierney during his press conference have she was strangled to death and was stabbed several times, with most or all of the stab wounds post-mortem. There's no mention in the bail application of wood chips or shavings, unless I missed it.

I'm curious if there are court documents or testimony that give a description of how Rita Tangredi and Colleen McNamee were found. From my understanding, they were posed identically, were killed by major head trauma but had also been strangled, all their clothing except their left shoes were found nearby but not on them, and I've never read anything about mutilation or stabbing for either of them. I've read several different poses their arms were supposedly in, but no one ever links where they got that information. Almost all of what I know about their deaths has come from secondhand sources rather than official ones. I'm not sure where to find court documents or testimony after this long.

Colleen McNamee was found in North Shirley
Rita Tangredi found in East Patchogue
Sandra Costilla found in North Sea

To add to this, North Shirley is about 8 or 9 miles east of East Patchogue; both are in the Brookhaven area. North Sea is about 28 miles east of North Shirley and 36 miles east of East Patchogue, in the Hamptons.

IIRC, none of the three victims had semen from both Bitrollff and Rex. The two women whom Bitrollff was convicted of killing had his semen on them. Sandra Costilla had no semen present on her body. She was connected to Rex H because his hair and that of Witness 3, among other things, were found on her body.

Would all the evidence collected in the Bittrolff cases still be around so LE could go through it to see if there's anything there from RH?

Thank you for that, turns out there is thread here for Julie, and her remains have been recovered too.

Recent reporting has been that her remains were never recovered, at least as of the 2021 documentary. He told law enforcement that he dismembered her and put her remains in concrete in the East River and a Brooklyn canal. He's New York's Most Prolific Serial Killer — Who Were Joel Rifkin’s Victims? | Oxygen Official Site

ADMIN NOTE:

Hey folks,

Not all victims come from the same lifestyles as we do. That does not make them any less a victim.

Please forego the morally upright, judgmental comments and condemnations and just stay as victim friendly as possible.

Posts that are not victim friendly will be removed and posters who can't seem to post in the spirit of Websleuths' Victim Friendly rule may be permanently removed from the discussion.

Please do NOT respond to such posts, but just use the Report feature to let Mods know and let them deal with the issue.

Thanks.

I wonder is there any woods or anything on fire island?

A lot of Fire Island is undeveloped, and very similar landscape to Jones Beach, Tobay Beach, Gilgo Beach, etc. Or at least, it was when I visited back in the early 2000s. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but parts of Fire Island were only accessibly by ferry when I visited. I believe the Davis Park area, where Karen Vergata's legs were found, is not very developed. And because it's relevant, hunters can hunt ducks and other waterfowl in a couple different places on Fire Island: Hunting - Fire Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service).

I wonder if there has ever been a search of the island with cadaver dogs, and if not, whether there would still be any evidence to find after Hurricane Bill, Superstorm Sandy, the most recent big storm a couple weeks ago, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95