Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Omaha shipment just arrived today. Our kids gave my husband a gift certificate to him for his birthday 3 weeks ago. The shipment just arrived today. It took 3 weeks but our freezer is now full of steaks, ground sirloin, pork chops and meatballs.
glasses10.gif

Our Omaha shipment just arrived today. Our kids gave my husband a gift certificate to him for his birthday 3 weeks ago. The shipment just arrived today. It took 3 weeks but our freezer is now full of steaks, ground sirloin, pork chops and meatballs.
glasses10.gif
We save all the coolers they come in and use them when we go grocery shopping. We love their steaks!

Tillicum, I believe that you gave excellent freezer advice. My grandfather was an organic gardner and had been canning since the 1930's. In the 1960's he bought a chest freezer. He loved it so much he soon stopped canning. By the mid 1970's he needed a second freezer. So he bought a self-defrosting upright. He was not pleased with it for the reasons you mentioned.

"A suggestion for those buying a freezer. Automatic defrost is easier to maintain but freezer burn happens much faster verses manual defrost. Keeping the freezer full helps cut back on the frost. When my freezers start getting empty sections I fill them with containers of water. Reduces frost build up, freezers run less often and stays frozen longer during power outages. Another tip if you have the space. Our two smaller freezers verses one large one, use less electricity and if one dies, you'll only lose half of your food instead of all of it."

Last edited:
Tell him not to flush kleenex down the toilet.

Ha, ha!!! In all seriousness, we've got outdated plumbing in our condo, and we've always used toilet paper and nothing else.

In late February, I ordered a box of Charmin 24 Mega Rolls from Amazon. On March 19, I ordered a box of Amazon's brand toilet paper (30 count). I heard about it from him; eyes were rolled, martyred sighs were emitted, and each box went into the downstairs closet.

We haven't bought toilet paper in roughly two months, because there was none to buy.

I didn't say, "I told you so."

I think we're good, at least, for now.

JMVHO.

My cousin went to two stores in NC and there was no ground beef, no roasts, only 4 steaks. Limit one beef item per person.
His pickup for tomorrow deleted his beef order. Substituted chicken.

I just received my weekly "rewards" and "specials" email from Nino Salvaggio's. Conspicuously missing from both lists are Butcher Shop offerings. Seems like Nino's is uncertain about their meat supply for the coming week. We got a whole beef tenderloin last week when it was on "rewards", and we are set with chicken, pork chops, and ground turkey for several weeks.

The President signed an executive order forcing meat packing operations to stay open. I don't know how people will be able to trust that meat they buy is safe to eat :eek:

Trump orders meat processing plants to stay open amid coronavirus pandemic

Last edited:
If you or a family member are on Medicare, some plans allow you to purchase things from CVS online up to a dollar limit. My plan allows $35/month for medical items. I was able to get a box of medical gloves and 70% alcohol wipes in my March order. In my April order, they were out of medical gloves but I got another thing of alcohol wipes. If anyone didn’t realize this, be sure to look at the plan you're in. It should tell you if you have it and what the monthly limit is. You go online and order it, it comes right to your house via the mail person.

DH and I have a similar option with our Medicare Plus Blue PPO. We can each spend $25 monthly for OTC products. The program started in January, so we've only bought a few items each but will make good use of the option with future purchases. We perused the catalog and highlighted products that we might use.

Last edited:
DH and I have a similar option with our Medicare Plus Blue PPO. We can each spend $25 monthly for OTC products. The program started in January, so we've only bought a few items each but will make good use of the option with future purchases. We perused the catalog and highlighted products that we might use.
I don’t generally need the entire amount but knowing it will go to waste, and line someone’s pocket, grrr! I sent the list to my kids and asked them what they’d like. They picked things I wouldn’t, that way it’s used every month. I’ve ordered a bunch of first aid items to keep on hand. Plus my oldest goes out on research vessels so I made her a personal first aid kit. I asked my doctor to approve a blood pressure cuff and ordered it. I don’t need a knee brace, ace bandage or stick on back pain patches but I ordered them anyway. If my kids need something, they don’t need to buy it.

If you or a family member are on Medicare, some plans allow you to purchase things from CVS online up to a dollar limit. My plan allows $35/month for medical items. I was able to get a box of medical gloves and 70% alcohol wipes in my March order. In my April order, they were out of medical gloves but I got another thing of alcohol wipes. If anyone didn’t realize this, be sure to look at the plan you're in. It should tell you if you have it and what the monthly limit is. You go online and order it, it comes right to your house via the mail person.

Yes, and Humana allows $275/quarter for FREE! lots of stuff. Here is their list which is covered under some insurance plans.

https://docushare-web.apps.cf.humana.com/Marketing/docushare-app?file=3523507

Quick trip to Publix - meat is getting limited now. Pork especially. I don't eat a whole lot of meat but I have enough now for about two months - I bought pork, chicken and beef. Lots of produce. Only Publix brand TP -- they had 4 packages left. no paper towels. Most every person has a mask now - including the shoppers which I am grateful for. I'm afraid our governor is going to open up too soon and we will see more cases soon
JMO

One of the lead stories on the Today Show was a possible meat and chicken shortage-- ok- so no the meat and chicken hoarders will be out in droves--- you know the ones that hoarded all that toilet paper!!
And now with panic meat buying and several states do ya think it’s going to be an even worse madhouse at all the grocery stores? Yikes!

Quick trip to Publix - meat is getting limited now. Pork especially. I don't eat a whole lot of meat but I have enough now for about two months - I bought pork, chicken and beef. Lots of produce. Only Publix brand TP -- they had 4 packages left. no paper towels. Most every person has a mask now - including the shoppers which I am grateful for. I'm afraid our governor is going to open up too soon and we will see more cases soon
JMO
My husband went to Costco yesterday for the 8:00am Senior shopping time and they had a lot of meat...chicken and beef, milk, eggs , toilet paper and laundry detergent. Bought and froze milk for the 2nd time. It tasted great and defrosting.

My husband went to Costco yesterday for the 8:00am Senior shopping time and they had a lot of meat...chicken and beef, milk, eggs , toilet paper and laundry detergent. Bought and froze milk for the 2nd time. It tasted great and defrosting.
Is it whole milk? I’ve done skim for years but switched to vitamin d fortified whole milk recently - thanks for the tip

Is it whole milk? I’ve done skim for years but switched to vitamin d fortified whole milk recently - thanks for the tip

I bought the Kirkland brand organic milk, it is treated with something, ultra heat processing. And stays good for a long time. 3 half gallons I bought in March, still good until end of May. It has fish oil in it, but it doesn't taste fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoly1966