Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, don't be dissing my jinkasaurus. ;)

The jinkasuarus (sp) post may be one of funniest I've read in a long time. Because I can hear NG say that in my head.

OT, I know.

Good grief! It's hard to keep up with you guys! I'll come back later on and read over all of this when I get time.

The title of this eyeopening article speaks volumes, imo...
Thanx for sharing, MomnVA..

Police mum on next step in student’s 2009 slaying
<sniped & BBM for focus>
http://www.bdtonline.com/news/article_014f083a-5965-11e4-b67d-67a03ffc3f40.html

Does that mean Jesse L. Matthew Jr. will now face charges in the 2009 killing of Morgan Harrington?
Harrington&#8217;s mother said Tuesday she hasn&#8217;t heard from Virginia State Police investigators on their next step in her daughter&#8217;s case.
&#8220;I am always the last to find out about something,&#8221; Gil Harrington said in an interview.
Harrington contrasted the stealthy state police approach to the tack taken by Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo, who has been the public face in the search for Hannah Graham, the U.Va. student who disappeared Sept. 13.

Gil Harrington, who with her husband, Dan, has worked to keep her daughter&#8217;s unsolved case in the public eye, said she has not been told by state police whether they will seek charges against Matthew.
&#8220;Virginia State Police are really a very closed shop,&#8221; Harrington said. &#8220;Their culture and their approach is really different from Chief Longo. He&#8217;s really collaborative in the way he utilizes and engages with the media.&#8221;

Along the same lines as above. I'm in my 30's and never had a cavity. This case had me thinking so I called my orthodontist today. They had not saved my X-rays.

Me too. I got my first cavity and x-rays in my mid thirties. I did have dental care as a child though.

WDBJ 7&#8217;s Nadine Maeser ventured out Tuesday afternoon in search of Matthew's mother to get her side of the story.

She wasn&#8217;t at her Nelson County home, but neighbors said she hasn't been there for a few days.

After speaking with some of them, we're learning Matthew's run in with the law is affecting those that live across the county line.

Tucked away off Route 29 in Nelson County is a small and peaceful community.

"Ugh my name is Andrew Wells,&#8221; said neighbor Andrew Wells. &#8220;They call me AD."

It&#8217;s a paved road where everyone knows everyone called Wells Lane.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/nei...-investigations/29263116#.VEbvuTqSvkI.twitter

For some reason when I try to quote posts it keeps quoting a mod about not posting personal info re: family members.

But anyway, to the poster who said they were going into JM's house on Fox News - what did it look like?

I watched it.

- the guy living there didn't know who had lived there before him.
- A picture had been left there, hanging on the back of a door.
-it had the word Leader...I didn't get the rest that was written on it
-the pic had a white film/dust and scratch marks
- reporter indicated possible drug use and reporter left with the pic

overall it was a good segment, more of an overview of the case

As soon as I see the video go up on Greta's site I will post it, it is not up yet

That is a good question. The unknown DNA they have from the beer bottle in RATs trailer and the car DNA would have linked to the Fairfax rapist if it was JMs, yes? Hadn't thought about that...
Or do they have to specifically run it for a match, and they didn't run it for some reason?

IMO, LE got JM's DNA when they did the first car search--my theory is they found the beer bottles in there and ran DNA to confirm HG's presence with JM at Tempo. They wouldn't know which bottle was whose bottle, so they would have run them both. His match may have happened prior to the charges.

After speaking with some of them, we're learning Matthew's run in with the law is affecting those that live across the county line.

"Ugh my name is Andrew Wells,&#8221; said neighbor Andrew Wells. &#8220;They call me AD."

Wells said just about everyone that lives along it is a Wells.

"Everyone except Matthew,&#8221; he said. &#8220;They just moved in."

Wells family started renting a home to Jesse&#8217;s mom about a year ago.
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/neighbors-of-jesse-matthews-mother-speak-out-about-multiple-investigations/29263116#.VEbvuTqSvkI.twitter
So it seems his mother lived in Nelson co. Interesting! Yeah I lied, I'm still here ...lol

The jinkasuarus (sp) post may be one of funniest I've read in a long time. Because I can hear NG say that in my head.

OT, I know.
Apologizing in advance for the OT, just wanted to say that I will only know JC as the Jinkasaurus from now on.

WDBJ 7&#8217;s Nadine Maeser ventured out Tuesday afternoon in search of Matthew's mother to get her side of the story.

She wasn&#8217;t at her Nelson County home, but neighbors said she hasn't been there for a few days.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/nei...-investigations/29263116#.VEbvuTqSvkI.twitter
Once again, great minds think alike! lol

Each state has its own rules and procedures. In some states, it's five (or six or nine or whatever) calendar months. In others, it's case time. Each state has different procedures for managing cases and different rules for how and when the process can be invoked.

In New York, if there's a delay that causes a hearing to be rescheduled, the requested extension counts against the timeline -- but since the dockets are heavily overloaded, most cases can't be rescheduled within the requested time, and the delay caused by the backlog does NOT count. So a defendant can be sitting in jail for a couple of years but only accumulate 180 days of "trial time." This happened to a guy I know a couple of years ago.

Thank you. I just don't think we should expect JLM to have three trials begin in five months from the date of filing. It's just not realistic to expect that to happen, IMO

I'm no expert, other than being the resident wash woman at my own house:takeabow:, but I think it could if the dirt were a dark color. Going by the dirt on the driveway of the property where the remains were found, it looks to be the red kind.

Oops - thought I'd quoted #696.

Matthew is only allowed out of his cell for up to one hour per day to shower and exercise, Kumer said. His cell measures approximately 6-feet-by-9-feet. It has a toilet with a sink, and a raised concrete bed with a plastic-covered mattress and a blanket.

He is allowed to request books from the jail library.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/mat...arlottesvillealbemarle-regional-jail/29250798

He must be feeling claustrophobic. Tight space for a man of his height and girth.

Hey, don't be dissing my jinkasaurus. ;)

I have to say I have smiled since last night, upon reading that you googled jinkasaurus thinking it was a dinosaur. :)

He stated he was hired as JLM's attorney before any charges were brought; I would think he doesn't have to represent him in any charges related to Morgan or Hannah either. It will be interesting to see if he continues as JLM's attorney when more (local) charges are brought.

Assuming Camblos is in good standing w/the state bar he is licensed to practice in all VA state courts. But, remember, he is a private defense attorney and who knows how he is going to be paid for the HG case. Taking the Fairfax case means time spent traveling there and preparing a whole other case for trial. My guess is that JM will be appointed a public defender unless his fam is able to afford an attorney in Fairfax county. I also would not be surprised to see another attorney brought in for charges on the MH case when/if charges are brought. Camblos would be working overtime and it would be overwhming, I would think, to sort through everything for both cases. I think good chances are he would take a PD at that time too unless Camblos or another attorney is feeling generous. Camblos is under no obligation to represent JM on any other charges and may even decline to represent JM if there are other charges in the HG case (ie he may choose not to take on a possible DP case). Right now he is only signed on for the current charges. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

I'm pretty sure that if you've passed the state bar exam, you can practice law in any jurisdiction in that state. I'm thinking Camblos doesn't want to represent Matthew in Fairfax due to 1. Matthew isn't going to be able to afford to pay him for a lengthy trial and 2. Fairfax isn't a convenient location - it would disrupt any other cases that Camblos has locally and that wouldn't be fair to those clients. Unless another legal fund has been set up for Matthew, I predict court appointed attorneys in his future.

Totally agree. It's a hike (not to mention the TRAFFIC) from C'ville to the DC area. Also, as you stated, no money for the fee.

Does anyone know how DNA matching works?
In my mind, it's like it was shown to be on Dexter. The information gets put into the computer, someone presses ENTER, and the computer runs through looking for a match. It seems if it were that simple, it would take 10 minutes to run JM against the AM file.

How does it really work?[emoji5]

A DNA profile is simply a series of numbers. Typically, there are 13 regions of the DNA tested (called loci). At each of these regions, there is one or two numbers. All of these number make up a DNA profile for a sample. Most cases involve a direct comparison - you develop a DNA profile from evidence, you develop a DNA profile from known standards from victims, suspects, etc. These profiles are compared and you see if they match.

Matching can also occur in the CODIS system, a nationwide system composed of millions of profiles from convicted felons, arrestees as well as evidence profiles from all 50 states, plus a few other labs (Army, FBI,...) Unknown profiles (profiles that do not match a suspect) are entered into CODIS and searched weekly. If one of the these unknown profiles matches up with a felon or arrestee or other case (solved or unsolved), the people who entered the profiles are notified and there is a process that is followed to get the information to the appropriate LE agencies.

Each state also as its own data bank (these feed into the National Data Bank). Because these cases are all in Virginia, any matches were probably made in the state data bank. The exception might be Alexis Murphy. Based on what I remember from Taylor's trial, the FBI did the DNA analysis in that case so any unknown profiles wouldn't be in the Virginia Data Bank but they should be at the National Data Bank. However, CODIS has very strict rules about what can be entered. There must be a solid reason to believe the profile belongs to the perpetrator of the crime - those are only forensic profiles allowed in CODIS. So who knows which profiles in these cases actually ended up in CODIS.

It also said that Andrew wells worked at anchorage farm in 2010 when Morgan Harrington was found. That area of Albemarle and nelson is really small. Wells lane is only 8 miles from cannery loop where randy Taylor lived...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suns12035