Hannah Graham: Remains Identified

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog/

Gil Harrington’s Thoughts on January 25, 2014

The development of spiritual insight requires a persistent diminishment and distillation of self. In our process of becoming, it is the challenges that most often promote growth. I really want to find a way of reaching the point of stretch and change through joy. Such a better alternative if I could only figure out how.
I realize that the point where you collapse and break is a powerful place where expectations are shattered and discarded and so all things become possible. If you reconfigure your very being and allow transformation to occur. The effort of the struggle “strengthens” us in a way.
Our family’s exceptional challenges require and demand exceptional responses. We soldier on a secure in knowing that we are always given the tools to succeed in every place we find ourselves. The trick is to recognize, accept, and use them.
Spirit becomes most evident when more life can’t be managed. In those sharp times, in that dark place, germinates a fragile surrender; and with acceptance, solace.
<sniped - read more>

Tremendous. Her meaning sobering.

It's very odd to me that JM's attorney released that statement from the Carr's. I hope this isn't the beginning of a defense maneuver to gain the 'sympathy' of potential jurors while proclaiming a diminished mental capacity of some sort.

It's very odd to me that JM's attorney released that statement from the Carr's. I hope this isn't the beginning of a defense maneuver to gain the 'sympathy' of potential jurors while proclaiming a diminished mental capacity of some sort.

I've thought Camblos will take the diminished mental capacity route all along. This bothers me:maddening:

First, I am not positive they have quite enough to charge JM for murder right now, or I think they would have already. They are keeping tip line open and want people near the recovery site to be alert for any evidence. Just my opinion, though.

Also, I don't believe parents who raise serial or other killers are always to blame, some come from average families with no apparent warning signs acknowledged by anyone, or maybe they are labeled something else along the way. No one ever believed their child could turn up to be a killer, Imo. They are "introspective" or "loners" or even "feisty" or "high spirited" if they are "difficult". And most won't be. I doubt very much JM's family thought he was dangerous until the college cases surfaced, and most parents could probably convince themselves that they were "he said,she said" cases. Parents can be blind to serious flaws in their kids, we have seen that often enough.

Jmo

I do feel bad for JM's parents as well. They are going through their own hell right now. I added them to my prayers tonight. Can you imagine the pain they are feeling too? They have to live knowing that their son has taken away innocent human lives in such a cruel way. What a sad sad day.

Since all of this, I just keep thinking, I wish they would look for every lost person the way they did for Hannah. I am still blown away by what CPD have managed to accomplish in such a small amount of time, even though 35 days was a very long time when we didn't know where Hannah was, it was still a short time for everything they have now compiled against him.

<snipped for focus>

I am glad Sgt. Terry kept looking. ( A big thumbs up for that guy!)

"I don&#8217;t know how else to explain it. Something inside me just told me to continue to look.&#8221;"

http://fox8.com/2014/10/19/its-what-god-wanted-searcher-describes-what-was-found-during-hannah-graham-search/

Animated-burning-candle-click-on-to-see-it-flicker-candles-4092508-320-290.gif

I have one question---and it's just a question, not a commentary or anything else. Just curiosity now. Did they ever release the identity of the white male who followed her, then decided she was safe because she'd met JM? I always wondered how they were able to dismiss him from having any involvement quickly. Heard some theories that he is retired LE, etc., but really, I'm just wondering if anyone found out who he was. He must feel terrible.

I'll admit, I've wondered about him over and over again, ArmchairSherlock. I realize it was probably just my over-active imagination, but there was something so creepy about how he ducked into a doorway and watched her, then fell in behind and followed her. I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but all my nerve endings went into antenna mode when I saw that video clip, and I never forgot the chill it gave me.

Well, as long as it takes with the appeal process, he will have years and years to suffer the loss of his freedom plus the fear that he will one day have to meet his punishment and be put to death....the combination of those two make for the best outcome as far as I'm concerned.....he should not get to live out his natural life....JMO...luckily, it's not in California...they die naturally there before justice is served, not always... but usually. Not meaning to sound super harsh but I have no compassion for people that do this and have a hard time even considering them human. If we could see what LE found compared to what she looked like in life, it would be beyond words.
I agree with you that he deserves death--and yet in some way I find myself hating the idea that he might get off that easily, because in death he won't have to suffer every single day and every single night, won't have to be aware that he is not free and will never BE free. The deprivation of his freedom--and his own knowledge of how he USED that freedom when he had it--stalking, raping, and murdering innocent young women--seems like the harshest punishment a sociopath like him could be made to endure, because sociopaths believe themselves to be above the law and they have no feeling for their victims. The only regret he would ever be able to feel would be the loss of his own freedom--and I would like to see that regret go on for a long, long time in his case. In death, he would just be gone, and all his frustration, his sense of freedom lost, and his awareness of his punishment would also be gone with him. Somehow it seems important that he suffer like hell for years and years and years, just the way the families of his victims have been condemned to suffer the loss of their loved ones. Only they will suffer because they loved someone who has been taken from them, while he will suffer because the person he loves most--himself--will be locked up with his freedom taken away...by the law itself, which he considered himself to be so far above.

(ETA--this is in response to WhitegateGirl's post #241. I forgot to quote her passage in my reply)

Thank you for writing this. I have been wanting to write something similar, but wasn't sure exactly how to say what I wanted to say. I can't begin to imagine the pain any and all of the families impacted by these horrific crimes has to live with. And that definitely includes JLM's family. Not only have they lost who they thought he was, but they have to live with the pain and agony of what he has done to these innocent young women. They have to endure their family member being reviled, and many people blaming them for what he did. How do you integrate that someone you love, someone you thought you knew, someone who is a part of you could do such monstrous things?
Thank you WhitegateGirl for expressing this so eloquently. JLM has left pain and suffering in a wide and expanding wake that most certainly includes his own family.

We lit a candle outside far away from Va, two nights ago, as the community gathered at V.Tech. The candle burned through the rain and the wind, surrounded by glass, flickering away, through the day, until we replaced it tonight, with a new candle. Saw a picture of the creek on CNN. Read Coy Barefoot's account of ordinary peacefulness of the scene where they found Hannah Graham. Read eloquent statements of thoughts and prayers for a courageous and stalwart family, the Grahams, who in their darkest hours found the strength to soothe all who cared about their plight, with their statement. The expressions, of her friends at UVA, back at her high school, the sadness that pervades in their eyes, that comes through their gripped voices, in the face such a cruel loss for them all, may time quell their sorrow and may they live lives that in some small part honors this dear one, taken away too young.

It's good know that people came together, that so many did so much to help restore some balance of good, and to step by step take back what is possible from this horrible chasm of inhumanity. There are words that seem hard to say for now, that catch somewhere and get lost. I don't know how to make sense of it. Here, among WSers I found this goodness and very much appreciate that it exists.

I learn from you that to know is to ask 'What are these who do this?' I wonder how do we stop ourselves from becoming the sum of our fears? Where do I look? What is it I want to see? I think what Hannah Graham is a hero, a beautiful "radiant" delightful wise child who shared an accomplished life in this world for too brief a time. She lived it long and strong enough to be remembered with the honor and dignity of a hero who has helped save others. And tomorrow may be bereft of her for those who loved and cared for her in life and in loss, but the days to come will be filled with actions, thoughts and achievements that will honor her legacy. It's that glimmer of hope I seek. May it be felt as well, in time, by those who are so close, so hurt and in so much pain.

I've never really understood the bedwetting part, either.....the other two make sense in releasing pent up rage as a child and according to wiki, regaining a sense of power for the child that has been humiliated repeatedly and harshly, I'd imagine, by the parents. The only thing I can think of is a subconscious rebellion to an over controlling, micro managing parent but read on wikipedia where the bed wetting part has been discredited. I think most psychologists like Helen Morrison, who has interviewed and studied serial killers extensively believe that it is a perfect storm between heredity and environment that creates them. What all the factors are, I don't know but plan to look further into it.
True, true. I can almost kind of understand the desperate desire to completely ignore the warning signs as if they didn't exist. I've always wondered how the bed wetting thing comes into play, though, does anyone know?

I just want to clarify that while there's a very important discussion to be had on the safety of people and how we can all help ourselves, my post about no one being to blame except JLM was in direct response to a post that asked where Hannah's friends where and why they did not respond to her texts.

I feel that it is unfair to even imply they could have changed the events of that night. We don't know what texts Hannah was sending (LE does I am sure) nor do we know what her friends were responding.

We will all take something away from this, from seeing those images of a girl getting further and further from familiar surroundings, and we will see in Hannah's situation reminders of similar situations we have found ourselves in. Her friends and family will be asking what could they have done, how the outcome could have been different, but the sad reality is, if it hadn't been Hannah that night, it would have been another girl. A predator was there, hiding in plain sight, and he was going to do what he wanted no matter what.

Friends, family, officials mourn Hannah Graham as remains positively ID'd
By Bryan McKenzie Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:20 pm
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_713351d0-5bed-11e4-a7ae-001a4bcf6878.html

Former neighbor recalls Jesse Matthew's early years
By &#8203;K Burnell Evan and Bryan McKenzie Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:32 pm
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_23f7717e-5bef-11e4-ab44-001a4bcf6878.html

"Investigation remains open."
Katie Brooke updates
http://www.wset.com/story/26850157/...vestigators-wait-on-identification-of-remains

Medical examiner: Remains are Hannah Graham
WTOP's Mike Murillo, Neal Augenstein and Amanda Iacone contributors Friday - 10/24/2014, 6:32pm ET
http://www.wtop.com/41/3729303/Medical-examiner-Remains-are-Hannah-Graham

Huge Shock (The Daily Mail)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idgAQx0Xzc

Community reacts with sadness to discovery of Hannah Graham's remains
By Brie Jackson, Reporter Updated: Oct 24, 2014 11:22 PM EDT
http://www.wsls.com/story/26888520/...adness-to-discovery-of-hannah-grahams-remains
Albermarle police say remains found are those of Hannah Graham
http://www.wsls.com/story/26886702/remains-found-are-those-of-hannah-graham-according-to-police

Remains identified as UVa. student Hannah Graham
Bruce Leshan reports 12:56 a.m. EDT October 25, 2014
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...tified-as-hannah-graham-uva-student/17850777/

Newsy's Madison Burke
http://m.digitaljournal.com/news/cr...ains-found-are-hannah-graham-s/article/410789

Authorities confirm body is U-Va. student Hannah Graham
By T. Rees Shapiro October 24 at 8:27 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ac7-11e4-b812-38518ae74c67_story.html?hpid=z3

Body of British-born Hannah Graham identified in Virginia
By Kevin Rawlinson Friday 24 October 2014 18.21 EDT
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/24/hannah-graham-body-identified-virginia-albermarle

Remains Found in Virginia Identified as Missing Student Hannah Graham
By ASHLEY SOUTHALL OCT. 24, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/u...ed-as-missing-student-hannah-graham.html?_r=0

Remains Identified as Missing College Student Hannah Graham
BY K.C. BAKER 10/24/2014 AT 05:30 PM EDT
http://www.people.com/article/hannah-graham-remains-body-identified-missing-college-student-uva

"The Albemarle County Police Department tweeted late Friday that the remains found Saturday are those of Graham. Earlier Friday, Graham's parents spent about 30 minutes at the crime scene with investigators".
BY CORINNE LESTCH Friday, October 24, 2014, 6:20 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ah-graham-visit-crime-scene-article-1.1986073

Police Identify Remains of Missing UVA Student Hannah Graham
By Elliot Hannon
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ins_of_missing_uva_student_hannah_graham.html

Remains Confirmed As Hannah Graham, Missing UVa Student
Associated Press
By LARRY O'DELL and HEIDI BROWN Updated: 10/24/2014 8:59 pm EDT
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/24/remains-hannah-graham-uva_n_6044486.html

Hannah Graham: Remains Found Belong to UVa. Student
Hannah's parents: "The light she radiated can never be extinguished"

David Culver reports, Saturday, Oct 25, 2014 &#8226; Updated at 12:08 AM EDT
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Hannah-Graham-UVA-remains-found-279957962.html

Remains identified as missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham
BY SCOTT WISE, ALIX BRYAN, NICK DUTTON AND CHELSEA RARRICK, UPDATED AT 11:26PM, OCTOBER 24, 2014
http://wtvr.com/2014/10/24/hannah-graham-remains-identified/

I am not a religious person, and I have a little different idea of where Hannah's spirit has gone, now that it has been released from her physical body. However, I do believe that she would have achieved peace in that instant, that the violence of her ending would have been immediately left behind as she rejoined with the power and light that exists in our universe. I do hope that those who knew and loved her are able to realize that her suffering was brief, and that she moved into a state of being that is expansive and peaceful. She would not have carried the horror of her ending with her. I wish love and light to Hannah's spirit, and to her family and friends.

ETA: After reading ThinkHard's post #360 in this thread, I decided to remove my comments about JM. I no longer feel right about making such statements, and thank ThinkHard for reminding me that it is really not my place to judge. Those of you who left thanks on this post are welcome to remove them if this makes a difference to you.

IDK why but I think that the family is looking at this like everyone else, he did it. I believe that they know in the hearts that he did this. If I remember correctly JM's mom and dad were not married so she would be a Carr even though he has his father name. I have a feeling that his mother has known that he was different and had issues growing up, iirc she moved he his sake. I am thinking that this family has accepted the reality in knowing that he is guilty. jmo idk

Rest in Peace, dear Hannah. I have been thinking about why friends don't stick together when they go out to party these days. My wild and crazy 20's were in the late 70's, early 80's. When we went out to clubs and concerts, etc, our group never separated from each other. We arrived together & we left together. I think the change is because now everyone has a cell phone which creates a false sense of security because perhaps the kids think with that cell phone they have a lifeline of sorts so they feel they are never truly alone - they can text, have GPS, etc. We see now how wrong that is - with Morgan and now Hannah. As I wax philosophically, this reflects to me how all this technology can indeed make one feel included and protected, but on the other hand, so freaking alone and vulnerable. Seems everyone thinks, "hey, I have a cell phone, I can always reach someone" when in fact that all depends on the availability and common sense of the people you are hoping will recognize your distress and come to your assistance. I am not blaming her friends (Hannah or Morgan), but feel that technology works against us in giving a false sense of security. I know when a bunch of us went out to party all night, we would all manage to leave together in the same car or cars, and would never leave our buddy out there alone. I remember everyone getting dropped off one by one at their home, we'd watch them get in their house, shut in safely, and end up sleeping over someone's house till the next morning, but rarely allowing a girl to drive home alone without making sure we were all safe. That has changed, apparently, and it is not a good change. God Bless Hannah and her family. I remember my mother waiting up for me while I was doing my wild and crazy out all night college days. But also, three of us lived on the same block and we always stayed together.

I just want to clarify that while there's a very important discussion to be had on the safety of people and how we can all help ourselves, my post about no one being to blame except JLM was in direct response to a post that asked where Hannah's friends where and why they did not respond to her texts.

I feel that it is unfair to even imply they could have changed the events of that night. We don't know what texts Hannah was sending (LE does I am sure) nor do we know what her friends were responding.

We will all take something away from this, from seeing those images of a girl getting further and further from familiar surroundings, and we will see in Hannah's situation reminders of similar situations we have found ourselves in. Her friends and family will be asking what could they have done, how the outcome could have been different, but the sad reality is, if it hadn't been Hannah that night, it would have been another girl. A predator was there, hiding in plain sight, and he was going to do what he wanted no matter what.

I got you the first time. :)

Welcome to the forum.
I don't always have the right words for things, but it's as if it was meant to happen. I don't mean that in the way it sounds. But when I thing about all that had to happen that night for the two of them to to end up there baffles my mind. It was by chance that the twp intersected that night, but it happened. It would be great if he was the killer of some of the others that have been found dead or still missing to know that a predator off the street. So sad. R.I.P Hannah

I will not believe an infant is born evil. A one year old is not evil.

How we treat infants impacts what happens. Otherwise we could just leave them in a crib all day , change them and feed them and they would be ok.

Children need love, holding, having their cries answered, interactions with caregivers, and guidance not fear or violence, for instance.

I don't think people are born evil. I don't think anyone IS evil. They just do evil things because their brains are not wired up correctly. IMO it's all biology and the luck of the draw.

I'm with you on this. More and more, it seems as if sociopathy/psychopathy is coming to be regarded as congenital, not environmental. Sure, there's no doubt that some people become warped by their childhood environment or lack of proper nurture, and often those people resemble sociopaths in their behavior and attitudes, as well as in the crimes they may commit. But a true sociopath is, I believe, born rather than made, and though it would be wonderful if sociopaths could be treated and cured, I think it would be very hard to find an example of true sociopathy being cured. I recommend the NY Times piece that Foxfire posted a link to tonight. It's a fascinating and chilling read.

There is a lot of new research, since 2000, about the damage to the amygdala, in the frontal lobe of the brain, as a result of head trauma in football and soccer. Young boys and girls, "heading" in soccer, before their brains are fully developed. If you google any combination of words, soccer, brain damage, teenagers, concussions, head trauma, football, psychopathy..., you will be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth