Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Transcript from news video-

she's gone missing-- Good evening I'm Pamela Young. Tonight search crews on Maui have found new evidence that gives them hope of solving the mystery of the disappearance of Carly Scott. Today, search teams concentrated on the coastline, starting at Keanae. Volunteers combed the area, explored caves and talked to fishermen. Just before dark, they spotted something. 38:14 ON THE RIDGELINE THE CAPTAIN NOTICED THERE WERE ITEMS OF INTEREST. 38:40 WHAT WAS SEEN WAS VERY PARTICULAR AND KINDA WEIRD IN THE POSITION IT WAS.

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/Possible-new-clue-in-the-disappearance-of-Carly-Scott/24518008

Do we know what was found?

Can any locals tell me what Giggle Hill Haiku is?

This is a park in Haiku. On a map, it probably says something about 4th Marine something or other. But locals call it "Giggle Hill".

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/family-offers-10k-reward-in-search-for-missing-maui-woman/24532236

... After a long week of searching, Carly's family is ready to give out a $10,000 reward as they suspend the search temporarily on Tuesday to regroup.

This news comes after more evidence was unveiled from the search for Carly, also known as Charli.

The Director of the search for Carly, also known to her friends as Charli, tells us two rolls of used duct tape and a pair of gloves was found near Honomanu Bay near mile-marker 15 of Hana Highway. That is the same area where clothing believed to have been worn by Charli was found on Feb. 13.

The 27-year-old's burnt car was discovered near Jaws surf-spot on Wednesday, and Charli's dog was found alive in Nahiku a day prior. The family says they need time to process all of the information that is coming in, and has attributed to search suspension.

"They're distraught but still driven – driven to find her. And they're not giving up on those efforts," said Jeff Simon, Search Director.

On Monday, more than 60 people covered ground on the Kipahulu side of Hana highway, but the crew didn't find anything relevant to this case. Meanwhile even with the search being temporarily called off, another group of volunteers will search the waters off of Honomanu Bay by way of kayak on Tuesday.

On every HI island I see hand made posters that say: X person was last seen in the vicinity of Y(usually where the poster is). Anyone seeing X person or X persons car (details supplied) please contact person Z. I usually see these near hiking spots, parking areas near beach access or view access, or where there are some really, really deep ravines, so most would assume it's just someone who drowned or fell off somewhere, but there were a LOT of them. I wouldn't think they were all victims of Darwinism, but I could be wrong. There were also a lot of signs that say "Don't leave valuables in your car." and window glass on the ground next to the signs and warnings from my local friends to avoid certain areas because cars get broken into frequently, so there is at least some kind of crime rate.

I can only speak for Maui, but I don't see those missing person signs anywhere. I don't think people go missing here very often at all. Every now and then we'll have a hiker lost on a trail, but they're usually found pretty quickly (rarely missing overnight) and it's known they're a hiker. A few months ago a hunter was lost for a few hours, but was quickly found. Sometimes a teenager will be reported missing, but is usually suspected as a runaway and turns up within a few days with a boyfriend or friends. I can recall maybe 2 or 3 times that a free diver was reported missing (never came back up. Free diving is when you dive without scuba gear, like to spear fish). I think only once was a body not found, but later they recovered remains. Assumed to have been a shark attack. In the 12 years I've been on Maui I can only think of 4 times someone has truly been missing and a crime was likely - Laura Vogel a few years ago, still unsolved. Kini back in December (sorry, I can't remember her full name) was missing for several weeks and her car was later found in a gulch, suspected suicide, but who knows. Then Mo Monsalve last month. And now Charli. That is why people are freaking out. I think some people suspect Kini wasn't suicide but possibly foul play. 3 months, 3 missing women. Very, very unusual.

Was this a long time ago or recently that you saw these kinds of signs?

Car break-ins are very common. That is about as violent as our crime gets on Maui (unless of course you count domestic abuse, which it's possible Mo and Charli could fall under that category). We do have our share of domestic abuse, but if these cases were that and ended in murder, it would be the first I've heard of on Maui.

Julieonmaui - maybe you can contribute your opinion here as to the crime on Maui? Do you feel we have missing people very often?

I can only speak for Maui, but I don't see those missing person signs anywhere. I don't think people go missing here very often at all. Every now and then we'll have a hiker lost on a trail, but they're usually found pretty quickly (rarely missing overnight) and it's known they're a hiker. A few months ago a hunter was lost for a few hours, but was quickly found. Sometimes a teenager will be reported missing, but is usually suspected as a runaway and turns up within a few days with a boyfriend or friends. I can recall maybe 2 or 3 times that a free diver was reported missing (never came back up. Free diving is when you dive without scuba gear, like to spear fish). I think only once was a body not found, but later they recovered remains. Assumed to have been a shark attack. In the 12 years I've been on Maui I can only think of 4 times someone has truly been missing and a crime was likely - Laura Vogel a few years ago, still unsolved. Kini back in December (sorry, I can't remember her full name) was missing for several weeks and her car was later found in a gulch, suspected suicide, but who knows. Then Mo Monsalve last month. And now Charli. That is why people are freaking out. I think some people suspect Kini wasn't suicide but possibly foul play. 3 months, 3 missing women. Very, very unusual.

Car break-ins are very common. That is about as violent as our crime gets on Maui (unless of course you count domestic abuse, which it's possible Mo and Charli could fall under that category). We do have our share of domestic abuse, but if these cases were that and ended in murder, it would be the first I've heard of on Maui.

Julieonmaui - maybe you can contribute your opinion here as to the crime on Maui? Do you feel we have missing people very often?

Jeanie Kini. There was talk that she left a suicide note so I feel pretty confident her death is not related to Mo or Charli.

I heard from someone close to the investigation said a suicide note was left in regards to Kini.
I've lived here over 20 years and truly think as far as violent crime we are low. Yes, car break ins. Domestic abuse is probably not reported as much as it occurs due to cultural differences. I.e. Phillipino, Micronesian etc.
This case has definitely made everyone stop and think. I'm hoping tomorrow night when the police hold their Q and A session we get more answers to lack of answers the family and public have.
I feel we still are a safe and close knit island. That bring said we are growing and changing. Many transplants etc.

Mauijen. Missing people are definitely not the norm. Runaway teens etc. but not an epidemic by any meand

And don't forget him referring to their unborn child as "it". :facepalm:

In the interview when asked if she had enemies he says she had a mouth on her and could p i s s people off.Sounds a little bitter.

In the interview when asked if she had enemies he says she had a mouth on her and could p i s s people off.Sounds a little bitter.

Who says that about a missing person? Let alone your baby momma..... Speaks volumes to me

Who says that about a missing person? Let alone your baby momma..... Speaks volumes to me

Someone who is not happy about having a baby and not in love with the baby momma. Scott Peterson who murdered pregnant wife Laci Peterson comes to mind. :(

It's been since 2000 that I've been visiting various islands with friends who live there. Namus has 15 missing from Hawaii ("Big Island"), 15 from Kauai, 15 from Oahu and 7 from Maui. I found another 4 on the Maui County site that weren't on Namus, plus Mo and Charli who are also not on there, and I found a lot of articles about missing people on Hawaii, some of which who were found and some whom were not, but not listed in Namus. Still and all, that isn't many to have STILL missing after 14 years (13 for Maui), but some missing people get found.

Granted I hit most beaches, cliffs, blowholes, waterfalls, overlooks, hiking spots, snorkeling spots, kayaking spots, off roads, bizarre roadway shops, eclectic we-got-it-all stores, the occasional roadside barbeque or Jawz taco truck and avoid the fancy tourist resorts like the plague. Maybe I just go to the places where people go missing, maybe I just notice the signs because I'm visiting, or maybe my definition of "missing" is different. It doesn't have to be a crime if someone is missing. It's just someone trying to find someone else. The people I saw on those signs may never have been on the news, it was just family trying to find someone who wandered off, ran away, etc.

These are some that made the news since September of last year.

This guy was located, but he was missing:
http://mauinow.com/2014/01/15/police-seek-help-in-locating-missing-maui-man/

I don't know if this lady was found, but she was missing at the time of this article:
http://mauinow.com/2013/12/20/police-seek-help-in-locating-missing-wailea-woman/

Here is a body found, so this person must have been missing at some point:
http://mauinow.com/2012/08/17/breaking-maui-police-investigate-female-body-found-on-kahekili-hwy/

Here is a person who should have been missing, but had no family to report it:
http://mauinow.com/2014/01/09/police-seek-help-locating-family-following-traffic-death/

This woman was missing for a few hours:
http://mauinow.com/2013/09/09/help-sought-in-alleged-kidnapping-attempted-sex-assault/

This man was missing:
http://mauinow.com/2014/02/01/search-underway-for-missing-lana%CA%BBi-man-itsuki-bucky-taguchi/

Missing:
http://mauinow.com/2013/09/26/search-resumes-for-missing-hiker-at-haleakala-2/

Missing, then found:
http://mauinow.com/2013/09/10/body-of-missing-snorkeler-recovered-from-napili/

If you're old fashioned, then I must be downright Victorian!

Was the relationship "friends with benefits" for Charli too? If it was mutually thought of that way, no harm no foul. But I do wonder about her feelings ...

What I took away from that transcribed interview was **minimization, distancing, lack of concern & he spoke of her in the past tense**. At a minimum, it doesn't make me think too highly of him as a fellow human being. At worst, I think he disappeared Charli.

I guess we just don't understand guys like this. He says everybody on the island loves him, so why didn't he call one of his many friends who love him? It sounds too much like a setup to me. Maybe he wasn't ready to be a father, but I know men who weren't ready, and still managed to love their child, even if they didn't love the mother. A few of them turned out to be great dads.

And I think you're right. Distancing, lack of concern, minimization... like neither she nor the baby meant much to him... as in 'Oh, well...' He's a real piece of work. I don't know yet if he had anything to do with this, hate to commit yet, but if I were in LE, he would be top of the list.

If you park your cursor at that particular place on Google Earth and look down along the bottom of the screen, you'll see the GPS coordinates for that spot. I believe the default setting for GPS on Google Earth uses the degrees, minutes, seconds format, but that format confuses people sometimes because it seems like the numbers should be the same however you type them in, whether you use the degree symbol or decimals, but that is not the case. Trying to change degrees into decimals just by changing the symbols will land you in a very different place, so I find it easiest to give GPS coordinates in decimal form. Just a personal preference, really.

If you want to change your GPS format, click on the Google Earth tab at the top of your Google Earth screen and you'll get a pop-up menu, then click on Preferences and from there you can change the GPS format to decimal form, or whatever format suits you best.

A good page to bookmark, in case you ever want to convert GPS coordinates from one format to another, is this one. It's been very handy:

Polar GeoSpatial Center Coordinate Converter

Anyway, taking off my professor cap, I did look around the area and couldn't find any houses nearby, unless they're hidden under the trees. I looked at the same area on Terrain View on Google Maps and it seems like this road cuts across a very steep slope here, probably not suitable for building.

If you stood in the road with your back to the Mile Marker 20 sign, this would be your view:

61ec9b27-c012-43f8-9f58-1176f3252e44_zps65bd3076.png

And this is the overhead view of the area surounding the hairpin curve:

0cb941e0-7289-40ba-b4e0-9579ad22b02b_zps4b76f8c7.png

A very remote place to lure someone to, IMO.

Whoa!! That is a scary looking curve!! I wouldn't enjoy driving that even in the daytime, much less at night. Gives me a sinking feeling just looking at it!

<snip snip>

These are some that made the news since September of last year...

<snip>

I don't know if this lady was found, but she was missing at the time of this article:
http://mauinow.com/2013/12/20/police-seek-help-in-locating-missing-wailea-woman/

<snip snip>

Jeanie Kini. There was talk that she left a suicide note so I feel pretty confident her death is not related to Mo or Charli.

Ghostwheel, Jean Kini Chang was found deceased http://mauinow.com/2014/01/10/remains-positively-identified-as-missing-wailea-woman/

Carly Scott Search Turns Up Duct Tape, Gloves As Worst Feared For Hawaii Woman

http://www./1138340/carly-scott-search-turns-up-duct-tape-gloves-as-worst-feared-for-hawaii-woman/

Carly Scott Search Turns Up Duct Tape, Gloves As Worst Feared For Hawaii Woman

http://www./1138340/carly-scott-search-turns-up-duct-tape-gloves-as-worst-feared-for-hawaii-woman/

A snippet from this article:

The search for the missing woman, however, has now shifted to sea, as searchers have begun diving below the surface of Maui’s Honomanu Bay, believing that Carly Scott’s body might be in the water.

“If she were wrapped and rocks were put on her and then taken out [to the] ocean, who knows what kind of depth we’ll deal with,” said a volunteer searcher, Pat Mulligan.

The gloves are a great item to get prints from. They turn them inside out and dust them.

Why would her clothes be removed, leaving evidence that she had been there, if she was going to be wrapped up with duct tape?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I want to go back to Robert Scott, the father of this missing daughter. We only have a couple of seconds, sir. But what do you make of the fact that he said publicly that he failed a polygraph?

R. SCOTT: Well, I don`t know what questions or what failing the polygraph defines, you know, if they asked him a direct question or not, I would assume. Certainly it`s very concerning.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Have you been able to talk to him? Have you been able to talk to him?

(CROSSTALK)

R. SCOTT: No. Nor would I attempt to at this point. I would not, nor any of us would try to attempt to contact him at this point.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: He`s the last one who saw her. Sir, we want to stay on top of this.

R. SCOTT: I know. Just in terms of, you know, the scrutiny he`s under, and the police investigation, I just don`t think it would be a good idea at this point. As much as I want to, believe me, it`s very difficult to not want to go and confront and get some direct questions answered.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Mr. Scott --

R. SCOTT: I feel it`s best at this time to not made contact with him. That`s all.

read the rest here:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1402/17/ijvm.01.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members