GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in. I only have a few minutes and didn't have time to check all the posts since last night. Sorry if I'm reposting something that was already shared. But here is an interview with Charli's Mom that talks about some of the evidence that has been found, how the evidence was moved by the younger sister, how Nala is being used in the search, etc.

I get the impression LE isn't keeping the family very informed with the investigation. Not surprised, honestly. {sigh}.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIqjYZqzPUs

As for the car, there are several different torched cars at Jaws, I've noticed the media have used several photos of different vehicles that aren't necessarily Charli's. The one photo that shows a young female and male sifting through burnt debris with a vehicle next to them, my understanding is that is not Charli's vehicle, but her vehicle was nearby and the photo was taken after LE removed her vehicle. Her vehicle was found shortly after dark Wednesday night and I'm pretty sure nobody was allowed into the area during daylight hours (the next morning) before it was removed by LE. Any photos of the burnt vehicle that are out there, aren't likely to be from Jaws. I think Belimom makes a very valid point about the possibility of the doors being removed by LE. The photo of Charli's car without the doors was not taken at Jaws (if I remember correctly, there is a fence behind the vehicle in the photo, and there are no fences like that out at Jaws - it's nothing but old pineapple fields and red dirt, then the ocean). I would be willing to bet the only photos we see of Charli's vehicle were taken AFTER LE recovered the vehicle.

It is hard to understand the interview with Charli's mom but here is what I got out of it and others may want to add or correct what I thought I heard. Here is what was found. Not sure which items were Charli's but mom did say a few things weren't.

Now they can use Nala and Zoe to search for Charli. Will start where the clothes were found tomorrow.

Daughters are making a timeline to reenact to see if exbf story fits as far as time it took to drive, mile markers, cell phone signal, etc.

Carly's cell phone is still ringing! What does that mean? Assuming the battery would be dead but I guess the phone wasn't damaged? Mom doesn't know if AT&T has given permission to triangulation.
Black pants weren't hers.
Twilight DVD was not hers.
Black skirt
Gray jacket was not hers.
Shoes (couldn't understand)
Tshirt.
Blue polka dot shirt.
Her green blanket.
2 empty rolls of duct tape

All found in the same area.

Mom wants to know how exbf originally got home from Hana when car was stranded.
No one has told mom and she wants to know.

It is hard to understand the interview with Charli's mom but here is what I got out of it and others may want to add or correct what I thought I heard. Here is what was found. Not sure which items were Charli's but mom did say a few things weren't.

Now they can use Nala and Zoe to search for Charli. Will start where the clothes were found tomorrow.

Daughters are making a timeline to reenact to see if exbf story fits as far as time it took to drive, mile markers, cell phone signal, etc.

Carly's cell phone is still ringing! What does that mean? Assuming the battery would be dead but I guess the phone wasn't damaged? Mom doesn't know if AT&T has given permission to triangulation.
Black pants weren't hers.
Twilight DVD was not hers.
Black skirt
Gray jacket was not hers.
Shoes (couldn't understand)
Tshirt.
Blue polka dot shirt.
Her green blanket.
2 empty rolls of duct tape

All found in the same area.

Mom wants to know how exbf originally got home from Hana when car was stranded.
No one has told mom and she wants to know.

Yes, it was hard to understand. I thought they said the shoes were hers. They said they were her slippers. (for those of you who don't live in Hawaii, "slippers" are what we call "flip flops").

So I don't normally follow cases like this this closely. I signed up on WS specifically because of this case and it being someone I know. But is this normal for the family to not get much information from LE? Like is it typical for the mom to not know if LE has been able to triangulate her phone? I guess I was under the impression that LE would keep the family up to date on their investigation.

I would also assume the battery on Charli's phone would be dead. Especially because it's likely her family has been frequently trying to call it. My phone battery certainly wouldn't last a week without a charge, even with no activity other than people trying to call it. I'm pretty sure of that. That is weird. But also, if I'm in a dead zone without service, my phone will go straight to voicemail, it won't ring more than once. So that's also strange. Her family has said that her phone rings 4-5 times, then voicemail picks up. I wonder if it's just something quirky going on with her phone and it's actually dead.

Also, is it also normal that AT&T wouldn't immediately cooperate with helping to triangulate the phone, even with a missing person report? That was surprising and distressing to me.

Per Mom's interview. Her 16 yr old sister is the one who found her clothes and brought them to her mom's house. She was with two other people, one is 19 yrs old. They were unaware of the importance of leaving the clothes where they found. Her younger sister is frantic and was just trying to be helpful. How upsetting for a young girl like that to find the clothes.

1939890_372316372909196_113952584_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=372316372909196&set=pcb.372317249575775&type=1&theater

This is the spot where Charli's Toyota was found. The car in the photo is not her car.

MauiJen is absolutely right. Any pics we may see of her Toyota are after it was removed. I need to go back and edit a couple of my posts as now I'm not sure at all of the condition her Toyota was in. Sorry to mislead folks. :blushing:

1939890_372316372909196_113952584_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=372316372909196&set=pcb.372317249575775&type=1&theater

This is the spot where Charli's Toyota was found. The car in the photo is not her car.

MauiJen is absolutely right. Any pics we may see of her Toyota are after it was removed. I need to go back and edit a couple of my posts as now I'm not sure at all of the condition her Toyota was in. Sorry to mislead folks. :blushing:

So there were 2 cars sitting side by side both burned? Coincidence? Very strange.

I would also assume the battery on Charli's phone would be dead. Especially because it's likely her family has been frequently trying to call it. My phone battery certainly wouldn't last a week without a charge, even with no activity other than people trying to call it. I'm pretty sure of that. That is weird. But also, if I'm in a dead zone without service, my phone will go straight to voicemail, it won't ring more than once. So that's also strange. Her family has said that her phone rings 4-5 times, then voicemail picks up. I wonder if it's just something quirky going on with her phone and it's actually dead.

Also, is it also normal that AT&T wouldn't immediately cooperate with helping to triangulate the phone, even with a missing person report? That was surprising and distressing to me.

And considering everyone said that cell phone service is sketchy along Hana Hwy, a cell phone would be searching for service and drawing off the battery power like crazy.

They need to find that phone if it's still able to receive calls. IMO

I've heard ATT is near impossible to get anything out of without a search warrant or court order.

I'm super impressed with the efforts of Charli's family and the wonderful support of the community. Not sure why all the info has to be released by the family but they're doing an amazing job keeping the world informed! Stay strong & don't give up hope!!!!!

It makes me wonder if someone kept or found the cell phone and is keeping it charged.

One of the locals (I think) knows Charli. Can you please share with us a little bit about her? Also I keep meaning to ask, did Charli work? If so, where? Is there anything in her lifestyle which would lead her to encounter people who may want to harm her?

Did the Ex have any enemies who may have wanted to harm Charli?

Still have no real feel for her disappearance, other than I'm frightened for her and the baby.

One of the locals (I think) knows Charli. Can you please share with us a little bit about her? Also I keep meaning to ask, did Charli work? If so, where? Is there anything in her lifestyle which would lead her to encounter people who may want to harm her?

Still have no real feel for her disappearance, other than I'm frightened for her and the baby.

From this article:
http://mauinow.com/2014/02/12/search-for-maui-woman-focuses-on-nahiku-area/

Quote:
“She’s the most reliable person — everybody knows that,” said Wais of her sister, noting that Scott works two jobs — at the Hui Noʻeau Visual Arts Center and the Paragon Salon in Makawao.

Do we have a communications tech lurking about who could answer this.
The only possible explanations that I can think of that would allow a caller to hear the phone ring 4 or 5 times and then go to voice mail are:
Provider Voice Messaging Service
Call-forwarding to another number
NumberGarage

Provider Voice Messaging will keep working as long as the bill is paid. Not sure how many messages can be left in a mailbox before it won’t accept them anymore.

I know that you can forward any calls made to your cell or a landline to a different number and as far as I know you only have to have the phone in hand (and know what the proper codes for your type of phone are based on the contract service you have) as long as you had that service already activated on your account. Otherwise you would need to know the password that is attached to the service account to make any changes.

What the effect on the battery life would be is something that I don’t know. When I forward my home number to my cell phone, my home phone rings a half-ring and then my cell phone starts to ring. I have never forwarded my cell phone to my home phone so I don’t know whether the cell would ring before the home phone would start ringing.

I don't totally understand how NumberGarage works with a cell phone and if the number is called, I don't think it would it actually “ping” the cell tower.

They way I read the explanation is that the phone number is ported over to a outside service provider that then allows persons who make a call to the number the ability to hear a message left by you or to leave you a message. I believe this would work just like if you where using your cell or landline provider’s voice messaging service but you no longer actually have to have a working phone. You would then call into a special number to listen to your messages.
What I don't know, since I have never used any voice messaging service outside of my regular phone plan is if you would have to provide some type of identification that you are the “legal” owner of the number to be able to have it garaged.
Source:
http://cellphones.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/qt/cellphonenumberparking.htm

As far as AT&T being slow to respond in getting phone records that is something that LE in general should be screaming loud and long about. In my opinion I believe a lot of people would think twice about using AT&T phone service, if god forbid something would happen, and their life may depend on LE being able to quickly access their phone records.

I know Charli, but not that well. (for example, I was not aware she was pregnant before her disappearance was made public - so it's not like I was "in the know" when it came to her love life, if that makes sense - to clarify how well I know her).

She has 2 jobs. She works at a hair salon in Makawao. My impression based on our conversations about this job is that she is like an assistant there to one of the stylists, but herself not an actual licensed stylist or whatever. (I could be wrong about that though, just my impression). She also works at the Hui No'eau, which is how I know her. The Hui is difficult to describe. I'll post a link to their website, which may be the easiest thing to do. It's a Visual Arts Center. My son has attended many summer camp sessions and a couple of after school classes there. I actually got to know Charli because we took a Clay Class (like a pottery class) together there. We would sometimes go to Open Studio time together and chat a bit. She is quiet, but just really nice and sweet. You can just feel that she is a caring person. I was not surprised that she would drive halfway to Hana to help an ex-boyfriend with car trouble. She just seems like the kind of person who would help anyone.

Link to the Hui's website: http://huinoeau.com/

Is it OK for me to comment on here about Steven (the exBF)?

BBM
From the interview with SC, I assume the answer is "yes":
<snipped>
"I sent her a text that said, 'thank you,' but I figured she was working, that's why she didn't get back to me right away," Capobianco told the news station. "It wasn't until the cops showed up at my house at 5:30 in the morning the next day that I realized something was wrong."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/15/carly-scott-missing-pregnant-woman-hawaii_n_4795025.html
I'm curious as to what her work schedule was. Was SC normally aware of Charli's work schedule or did it vary week to week? My biggest questions are:
1.) Why would he drive off ahead of Charli in the first place? Being that far away from home and late at night, most men would choose to drive behind the woman to ensure she got home safely (or near home).

2.) Why didn't SC call Charli a few minutes after he arrived home to see if she had gotten home yet? Did she plan to go directly to work? What time did he text her? If she didn't respond to his text, then the reasonable response would be to call her, even at work if that's where she was expected to be.

I'd really like to know what type of work she does and if she normally works the night shift. Would she be that busy during those hours that she wouldn't have time to answer the phone? Could he not stop by her place of business to check on her?

I just can't get over a man being so unconcerned about the safety of a woman - particularly a pregnant woman - whom he supposedly cares about and whose baby is supposedly his. She drove over 20 miles to help her ex who was stranded; the least he could do is ensure she made it home safely, for goodness sake!

BBM
From the interview with SC, I assume the answer is "yes":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/15/carly-scott-missing-pregnant-woman-hawaii_n_4795025.html
I'm curious as to what her work schedule was. Was SC normally aware of Charli's work schedule or did it vary week to week? My biggest questions are:
1.) Why would he drive off ahead of Charli in the first place? Being that far away from home and late at night, most men would choose to drive behind the woman to ensure she got home safely (or near home).

2.) Why didn't SC call Charli a few minutes after he arrived home to see if she had gotten home yet? Did she plan to go directly to work? What time did he text her? If she didn't respond to his text, then the reasonable response would be to call her, even at work if that's where she was expected to be.

I'd really like to know what type of work she does and if she normally works the night shift. Would she be that busy during those hours that she wouldn't have time to answer the phone? Could he not stop by her place of business to check on her?

I just can't get over a man being so unconcerned about the safety of a woman - particularly a pregnant woman - whom he supposedly cares about and whose baby is supposedly his. She drove over 20 miles to help her ex who was stranded; the least he could do is ensure she made it home safely, for goodness sake!

Excellent questions, Indy. Both of her jobs I think would require normal daytime work hours. Even if night art classes were offered Carli would have been way too late to have gone to work Sunday night.

To answer your questions:
1. I have no clue.
2. Good question and I don't think there is a suitable answer for why.

He may have excuses but I don't think any will suffice as far as I'm concerned.

Excellent questions, Indy. Both of her jobs I think would require normal daytime work hours. Even if night art classes were offered Carli would have been way too late to have gone to work Sunday night.

To answer your questions:
1. I have no clue.
2. Good question and I don't think there is a suitable answer for why.

He may have excuses but I don't think any will suffice as far as I'm concerned.
BBM
When I saw your and MauiJen's descriptions of Charli's jobs after I posted, I thought the same thing, and is the reason I asked. For someone to use the excuse "I thought she was working" for not checking with Charli to ensure she made it home safely just doesn't make sense. It raises an alarm, IMO.

Steven: "I was in front of her in the first place, in case my truck broke down and she would pull up behind me.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...yfriend-of-missing-pregnant-maui-woman-speaks

I keep reading the quote about him texting, thinking she's working and finding out something was wrong when the police came to his house on Tues morning. However, he went out to search for her Monday with her family so he knew she was missing on Monday. From the same interview:
Steven: "They showed up -- one of them showed up at work and told me what was going on and then called me later and I rushed out to show them exactly what had happened the night before and proceeded to help them look."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381