GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just catching up, but in reading the transcript of his interview, it gave me the willies, too. He seems to have no concern about his unborn child, let alone the mother of the child. And forgive me for being old-fashioned but if they "hooked up" as recently as 5 months ago, for her to become pregnant, I would think he would show a little more concern, like he cared about her, but he makes it sound like he was only in it for the sex. I get the feeling he doesn't really believe the child is his.

It just all sounds highly suspicious to me. I've had total strangers help me with a broken down vehicle who offered to follow me to my destination, they didn't drive ahead of me, they stayed behind to watch to make sure I made it okay. It's not like she was a passing stranger, they lived together! He must be a real prize. NOT.

Of course, none of this makes him a murderer, and he could be 100% innocent, but still... he comes across pretty self-centered. JMO.

As for not wanting his voice to be heard, I have to think he is trying to avoid any publicity. Wouldn't surprise me if he says he doesn't want his picture released as well.

If you're old fashioned, then I must be downright Victorian!

Was the relationship "friends with benefits" for Charli too? If it was mutually thought of that way, no harm no foul. But I do wonder about her feelings ...

What I took away from that transcribed interview was **minimization, distancing, lack of concern & he spoke of her in the past tense**. At a minimum, it doesn't make me think too highly of him as a fellow human being. At worst, I think he disappeared Charli.

This map was posted up-thread. It has mile marker locations on it.
http://geocommons.com/maps/7371

I was looking because I'm confused with SC comment in his interview about "And then we came back to Haiku". When I look at the map, and see the location of where his truck was suppose to have broken down, then the location of Twin Falls where he say he didn't see her lights in his rearview mirror anymore, and then look at where Haiku is it doesn't make sense to me.
Haiku is after Twin Falls. I'm just all turned around or do I have the wrong location for Haiku or is there more than one Haiku.

Thanks, shadow. Yes, I posted the map awhile back but I was trying to find the actual mile marker 20 on the street view to see if there were any houses nearby he could have asked for help.

I am thinking the whole road to Hana could be a bunch of red herrings and whatever happened to Carly could have happened first somewhere far from there. Afterwards her clothes could have been tossed out. But then, there is still the mystery of Nala and how she ended up where she did.

Knox...did you mean to say headlights? Or did I miss something in an article somewhere?

What exactly is going on with Charli's phone? Is it a fact that her phone still rings when it's called? If so why haven't the police been able to find where the pings are coming from?

I am very very scared for Charli and her unborn son. My daughter is ready to give birth to my 3rd grandson any day now so my heart is breaking for Charli's family. This doesn't look good at all but I'm praying for a miracle!!!

Yes! I did mean to say headlights, sorry for the confusion. I do however stand by my DB comment.

I see there is press conference scheduled for tomorrow? Someone on her find page mentioned it.

Thanks, shadow. Yes, I posted the map awhile back but I was trying to find the actual mile marker 20 on the street view to see if there were any houses nearby he could have asked for help.

Plumy, copy and paste these GPS coordinates into the search box on Google Earth. It will take you very close to a hairpin curve, and the sign for Mile Marker 20 is on the uphill side, or southwest side, of the sharpest point of that curve.

20.83125 -156.13553

If you run your little man along there, heading toward Hana, you should be able to find the marker.

Plumy, copy and paste these GPS coordinates into the search box on Google Earth. It will take you very close to a hairpin curve, and the sign for Mile Marker 20 is on the uphill side, or southwest side, of the sharpest point of that curve.

20.83125 -156.13553

If you run your little man along there, heading toward Hana, you should be able to find the marker.

Well that is neat! How did you know the coordinates? I was getting nauseous going up and down that road!! Can we get a birds eye view so we can see if there are any houses nearby?

Ransom, I don't know how to quote your blue answers but what did he say about exiting a building?

He didn't. I was using that as an example of how to use the phrase (at that time) in a sentence that made more sense to the OP.

I am wondering how the ex got home from where his car was ( to get the tools ).. someone must have taken him home. So why did that person not take him back? I would be interested in hearing from who ever that was... if the bf is involved in her disappearance and planned it, then someone else would have to know if it were not legit. MOO.
Who ever took her car had to have a way back from Jaws as well... I just dont think this is a one-person operation...

This case was on JVM tonight on HLN. Transcripts should be up later. I just caught the tail end where JVM was trying to get CJS dad to call the ex. :thud:

ETA: It will rerun later tonight.

I am wondering how the ex got home from where his car was ( to get the tools ).. someone must have taken him home. So why did that person not take him back? I would be interested in hearing from who ever that was... if the bf is involved in her disappearance and planned it, then someone else would have to know if it were not legit. MOO.
Who ever took her car had to have a way back from Jaws as well... I just dont think this is a one-person operation...

BBM

According to Google maps it would be less than a 1/2 hour walk back to Haiku. . .OR they had a car already there waiting.

I wonder if this upcoming press conference has anything to do with the search they did of Carly's home. Anyone besides me getting the feeling that might be the actual crime scene?

ETA- Gas cans??? :scared: All we need is a box-o-wine and a paddle boat. . .:thud:

I think this is a question a lot us want to know. At this point, there isn't anything or anyone to give credence to what he says. This is just my own opinion, but at this point what he has said in the interview would be best not to be relied on.

As far as her car having been torched what I would like to know was it actually stripped.

If it wasn't, then it was torched to get rid of evidence. If it was stripped first, then it would be more in line with the whole stolen/stripped /torched car crime that happens in the area and actually may be un-related to her disappearance, just a by-product of her disappearance. (unless it was a car-jacking gone bad.) Either way, it would be nice to know where the car may have been found originally because that would go a long way into helping narrow down a search area.

It would be nice (and un-realistic) if the person(s) that are responsible for all of the torched cars would somehow communicate to LE where it was found. It may also be in their best interest as well. Right now, the stolen car group does not seem to be to terribly high on LE priority list, but if LE thinks that this group is now killing to get cars, the heat may be getting turned up to high very soon.

Well that is neat! How did you know the coordinates? I was getting nauseous going up and down that road!! Can we get a birds eye view so we can see if there are any houses nearby?

If you park your cursor at that particular place on Google Earth and look down along the bottom of the screen, you'll see the GPS coordinates for that spot. I believe the default setting for GPS on Google Earth uses the degrees, minutes, seconds format, but that format confuses people sometimes because it seems like the numbers should be the same however you type them in, whether you use the degree symbol or decimals, but that is not the case. Trying to change degrees into decimals just by changing the symbols will land you in a very different place, so I find it easiest to give GPS coordinates in decimal form. Just a personal preference, really.

If you want to change your GPS format, click on the Google Earth tab at the top of your Google Earth screen and you'll get a pop-up menu, then click on Preferences and from there you can change the GPS format to decimal form, or whatever format suits you best.

A good page to bookmark, in case you ever want to convert GPS coordinates from one format to another, is this one. It's been very handy:

Polar GeoSpatial Center Coordinate Converter

Anyway, taking off my professor cap, I did look around the area and couldn't find any houses nearby, unless they're hidden under the trees. I looked at the same area on Terrain View on Google Maps and it seems like this road cuts across a very steep slope here, probably not suitable for building.

If you stood in the road with your back to the Mile Marker 20 sign, this would be your view:

61ec9b27-c012-43f8-9f58-1176f3252e44_zps65bd3076.png

And this is the overhead view of the area surounding the hairpin curve:

0cb941e0-7289-40ba-b4e0-9579ad22b02b_zps4b76f8c7.png

A very remote place to lure someone to, IMO.

Checking in. I'm sorry, I don't know how to quote multiple people in one post, but I'm going to address a few things that have been posted, from a local perspective.

(1) I don't think the meeting with the police tomorrow is a press conference about this case. The police dept in Kihei was already holding a previously scheduled "Kihei Community Association" meeting, which is a regularly occurring event, about other issues. My impression from the FB page being kept up by the family is that the family is asking the public to attend the meeting and demand answers from LE about the case.

ETA: Actually, I did just see a post on Morey, Inc that there would be a press conference tomorrow, but I haven't seen anywhere that it is with the police. I will be very interested to see this. Sorry, I thought you guys were talking about the meeting. I hope it's LE holding the press conference!! But I have very, very little faith in our LE and how they handle anything, especially something like this.

(2) I don't think this is a car jacking gone wrong. Car theft is very common here, but I've never heard of a car jacking, even on heavily populated Oahu.

(3) I'm familiar with that area around MM 20, and I don't think there are any houses anywhere close to that. Possibly there are within walking distance (a few miles), but walking the Hana Hwy during the day is quite dangerous (there's no shoulder at all and it's very narrow), walking it at night would be EXTREMELY dangerous and if I was broke down, I wouldn't do it. I'd try to wave someone down and ask them to go for help, or give them a number to call when they got cell service. I don't think he'd walk that road very far.

(4). This was posted earlier on the Morey Inc FB page: "#findcharli is in effect tomorrow searching..in light of new evidence around Honomanu Bay. We are looking for as many free divers and kayaks possible.. ready to help scour the area for Chary Scott's whereabouts. Contact Sol Morey 808-280-8407 for coordination and Pat Mulligan 808-870-1615. Charly's family will greatly appreciate your paddling kayak, diving, and eyes on abilities. Mahalo"

People here are getting really frustrated with the lack of information from LE. I don't think they necessarily expect to hear all the details, but I think the fact that we've had 2 missing women less than 1 month apart, unsolved, in our small community where we're not used to any type of violent crime has people really, really on edge. I think what we'd just like to hear is something like "We're still investigating and can't share details of either case, but right now we have no reason to believe the 2 cases are related" or something like that, ya know? People are seriously freaking out around here.

I wasn't even aware there was like a "crime rate" for HI. We just never hear about it stateside. We were going to go to HI for our honey moon but decided on cancun because time zones. But I looked a lot up on HI and could not find one really high profile crime/murder.
On every HI island I see hand made posters that say: X person was last seen in the vicinity of Y(usually where the poster is). Anyone seeing X person or X persons car (details supplied) please contact person Z. I usually see these near hiking spots, parking areas near beach access or view access, or where there are some really, really deep ravines, so most would assume it's just someone who drowned or fell off somewhere, but there were a LOT of them. I wouldn't think they were all victims of Darwinism, but I could be wrong. There were also a lot of signs that say "Don't leave valuables in your car." and window glass on the ground next to the signs and warnings from my local friends to avoid certain areas because cars get broken into frequently, so there is at least some kind of crime rate.

Do we have a communications tech lurking about who could answer this.
The only possible explanations that I can think of that would allow a caller to hear the phone ring 4 or 5 times and then go to voice mail are:
Provider Voice Messaging Service
Call-forwarding to another number
NumberGarage

Provider Voice Messaging will keep working as long as the bill is paid. Not sure how many messages can be left in a mailbox before it won’t accept them anymore.

I know that you can forward any calls made to your cell or a landline to a different number and as far as I know you only have to have the phone in hand (and know what the proper codes for your type of phone are based on the contract service you have) as long as you had that service already activated on your account. Otherwise you would need to know the password that is attached to the service account to make any changes.

What the effect on the battery life would be is something that I don’t know. When I forward my home number to my cell phone, my home phone rings a half-ring and then my cell phone starts to ring. I have never forwarded my cell phone to my home phone so I don’t know whether the cell would ring before the home phone would start ringing.

I don't totally understand how NumberGarage works with a cell phone and if the number is called, I don't think it would it actually “ping” the cell tower.

They way I read the explanation is that the phone number is ported over to a outside service provider that then allows persons who make a call to the number the ability to hear a message left by you or to leave you a message. I believe this would work just like if you where using your cell or landline provider’s voice messaging service but you no longer actually have to have a working phone. You would then call into a special number to listen to your messages.
What I don't know, since I have never used any voice messaging service outside of my regular phone plan is if you would have to provide some type of identification that you are the “legal” owner of the number to be able to have it garaged.
Source:
http://cellphones.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/qt/cellphonenumberparking.htm

As far as AT&T being slow to respond in getting phone records that is something that LE in general should be screaming loud and long about. In my opinion I believe a lot of people would think twice about using AT&T phone service, if god forbid something would happen, and their life may depend on LE being able to quickly access their phone records.
There is No Answer Transfer that will do this from Verizon. At least, the phone we have will do this when the phone has a dead battery.http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/features/calling_features/no_answer_transfer.html"You can have incoming calls answered by another phone whenever your wireless phone is busy or remains unanswered after three to six rings. With this option, your phone will ring unless you're on the phone."

People here are getting really frustrated with the lack of information from LE. I don't think they necessarily expect to hear all the details, but I think the fact that we've had 2 missing women less than 1 month apart, unsolved, in our small community where we're not used to any type of violent crime has people really, really on edge. I think what we'd just like to hear is something like "We're still investigating and can't share details of either case, but right now we have no reason to believe the 2 cases are related" or something like that, ya know? People are seriously freaking out around here.
Let them know that's status quo in most cases outside of HI. It's not just happening there. LE does that so that if they suspect someone (even if they don't call them a suspect of person of interest), that someone cannot take information and create a reason for it. For instance, if something were found that indicated Person X was in a location that that person said they had never been in, LE would make sure that information stayed quiet. Otherwise, person x could come up with "I was at *information location* last week, buying some tea." and Voila! reason for that item being found in that location. But if they don't know something was found somewhere, they can just say they were never there.

I hope that made sense.

This case was on JVM tonight on HLN. Transcripts should be up later. I just caught the tail end where JVM was trying to get CJS dad to call the ex. :thud:

ETA: It will rerun later tonight.

Huh
icon5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads