GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family of the missing Malaysian plane said passenger phones were still ringing.

I'm going back to square one. These are the possibilities I have in my mind:

After leaving her sister's house
Charli went to Keanae (to the truck) with SC
Charli went somewhere with SC, but not Keanae
Charli went to SC's house, but never made away from there alive
Charli went home and something happened to her there
Charli never made it home from her sister's house

Return trip (if she went out)
Charli never made it out of Keanae (from the truck) alive
Charli never made it out of wherever she was driven to alive
Charli made it to Twin Falls and something happened there
Charli made it farther than Twin Falls and something happened there
Charli made it to SC's house and something happened there
Charli made it home and something happened there

Possible places she could be
Over a cliff in the ocean
Over a cliff in a ravine
Buried
Somewhere in the forest
On someone's private property where it would be hard to search
Twin Falls in an irrigation ditch (is this possible?)
Really, almost anywhere

Have any of the above been ruled out due to any information any one has seen?

It all depends upon whether you believe that Charli would go for a drive
up Hana Hwy. with SC on a Sunday night when she was exhausted - for any reason.

If you think she would, then he could have dropped Nala off in Nahiku and done the deed in/near Keanae. Charli and Joshua could be in the ocean or buried in the dense forest.

If you think "No way she would have done that", then Charli and Joshua could be in Haiku or any place that he could have gone that would allow him to make it to Keanae by 11.

I forgot to factor in the timeline if he dropped Nala in Nahiku. That was one of my original scenarios; that he drove until Charli fell asleep, dropped Nala off in Nahiku, and then drove back down Hana Hwy.

According to Google Maps, SC's place to Nahiku is 29.5 miles, and approx. 1 hr, 18 minutes. So if they left Haiku @ 8:30 and drove straight to Nahiku, they would get there at about 9:48. It's 10.5 miles from there back to Keanae, and approx. 28 minutes, putting them in Keanae at 10:16.

I don't think she was buried near the grandfathers home in Haiku. It seems more likely to me that she was either dumped in the ocean or buried in the jungle on the way to Hana.

I live on Maui, in Haiku. I have lived in Nahiku previously and am very familiar with driving that road at night. It is much different at night then in the day. Tourists aren't there are night, in fact you don't see many vehicles at all on that road at night. Keanae is not the place I would want to be at that time of night. My car did break down on that road, and it was a bit scary.

The problem with burying someone is that you have to get them deep enough to keep the smell from attracting animals. My dogs have killed a few chickens in their time, and I have learned that if not properly disposed of it will be found. The smell of death and rotting flesh is horrific, and I could only imagine it would be ten times worse with something as large as a person. Hence the whole idea of 6 feet deep, which is a really big hole to dig by yourself.

More likely she went into the ocean. There are several points along Hana highway where sheer cliff faces right next to the road drop straight into the ocean. Minimal moving and a very long way down with very little access points. Her body would have just had to make it into a channel, and she would be out to sea. People get into heaps of trouble out here being swept by currents into those channels, and the north side of the island is notorious for having some bad currents.

Excellent points, and I would not rule out the "thrown off a roadside cliff into the ocean" theory.

It all depends upon whether you believe that Charli would go for a drive
up Hana Hwy. with SC on a Sunday night when she was exhausted - for any reason.

If you think she would, then he could have dropped Nala off in Nahiku and done the deed in/near Keanae. Charli and Joshua could be in the ocean or buried in the dense forest.

If you think "No way she would have done that", then Charli and Joshua could be in Haiku or any place that he could have gone that would allow him to make it to Keanae by 11.

I forgot to factor in the timeline if he dropped Nala in Nahiku. That was one of my original scenarios; that he drove until Charli fell asleep, dropped Nala off in Nahiku, and then drove back down Hana Hwy.

According to Google Maps, SC's place to Nahiku is 29.5 miles, and approx. 1 hr, 18 minutes. So if they left Haiku @ 8:30 and drove straight to Nahiku, they would get there at about 9:48. It's 10.5 miles from there back to Keanae, and approx. 28 minutes, putting them in Keanae at 10:16.
I haven't gotten to the "What I believe" portion of my program yet :). I am just coming up with possibilities. I don't know how tired Charlie was, what her actual relationship with SC was, what condition her car was in, if she had gas in the car, were her tires iffy, anything. For myself, if I had to work the next day, I would not have helped anyone that late at night, unless it was an extreme emergency. I also would not have gone out if my tires were on their last treads or my car was losing fluids. If I were broke and needed gas, I wouldn't have gone out either, unless said person I was helping offered me gas (like siphoned from another vehicle or said they had a gas can). By the same token, if a really good friend said they had gotten stuck on the side of the road down that long windy road and had left something important in it (like a wallet, phone, money) that they needed to get or the car would disappear by morning (as is wont to do on the Hawaiian islands), I might consider it.

So little information, so many possibilities, and the only one that doesn't make sense is the only story we have.

I do not believe she would have gone. She was tired and low on gas. I believe that if he would have text/called her she would have text someone. As in, can you believe he wants me to help him or can you believe he wants to talk. This would have been big for her and she would have shared that with a friend. I think he showed up at her house while she was getting out of her car and killed her there. Somehow disposed of her between her house and Jaws, then ultimately dumping the car at Jaws. Then walked home jumped back in a car and drove down Hana placing evidence along the way, dumping Nala before heading back. Just what I'm thinking.

Whether or not she would have gone with him for a drive:

It depends on the dynamics of their relationship. If he was abusive and she was still somewhat under his 'control,' then she may have gone. I haven't seen anything that states outright that he was abusive though, not on mainstream media or even on FB etc. Just Brooke stating that she gave him a lot and he gave her 'nothing.' I've been a victim of emotional, physical and psychological abuse and it comes in many forms. I spent many years with a man and a lot of time, money spent on his car payments, rims, court fines, nice clothes, etc all to make him happy and I got left with credit card debt, hundreds in parking debt, little child support, years of therapy and a truly damaged view of relationships. So Charli probably gave him emotional support, monetary support, love and a lot more and from the family's view point he didn't give her much in return which is probably a very correct point of view. The dynamics are obviously very unhealthy in a abuse situation, with blame shifted off the perpetrator and onto the victim, sometimes even by the victim herself. This is for the perp to maintain his 'image.' He can be 'charming' or cruel. It is hard for his 'friends' to see that he is an abuser. He twists things around so that he makes himself look good and her look bad. He gives her little tokens for 'good behavior' and takes big things away when he perceives her as doing things 'wrong.' My ex husband used to tell me after I had done something 'bad' in his eyes that he had been planning to do something nice for me, like take me somewhere that weekend or buy me a new car, but since I had earned his disapproval, he wasn't going to do it. It often felt like I was a little girl and he was my father. He alienates her from her friends and family, often in subtle ways, by saying things such as, "they're not good people," or "they don't love you like I do," or "no one will ever love you the way I do." Saying these things often enough, victims often begin to believe those words. He calls her names, calls her fat when she's not, calls her useless, worthless, shatters her self-esteem. When she tries to leave, he'll threaten to tell the court she's a bad mother, to take her child(ren) away, disable her car, take her keys, stop paying the babysitter, anything to keep her reliant on him. My ex used to take my distributor cap off of my car. When I got pregnant and would not get an abortion he said, "you mean I have to deal with you for the next 18 years?" Later that week he threatened to kill me; he broke down the bathroom door and held my head over a full tub of water and asked me if I wanted to die.
I stayed for a long time, because I felt helpless without him. Then I went back to school and slowly came to the realization that there could be life without him, but it took a long time to make myself realize I didn't 'need' his kind of so-called 'love.' I still battle with that. There's a book called "The Human Magnet Syndrome" by Rossberg I believe, it talks about why certain people get into these relationships; they feed a need in each other, an unhealthy one. Now I am not at all saying that was going on with Charli. The profile of a victim is a nurturer, loving, caring, someone who would go out of their way to help people. I've heard a lot of people say this is how Charli was, but it still doesn't necessarily mean she was a victim. She 'could' have been, though. But whether or not she was does bear directly on what she would have done with Steven that night, IMHO.
Sorry if this is TMI. I just think if this is an abuse situation, or if Steven is an abuser, the more awareness the better. I know what set my ex off when I was pregnant. It was terrifying. :scared: These men need to be made more accountable. Because my ex had connections in LE, he got away with what he was doing to me.

Another thought: I didn't know Charli, but someone who did, someone she confided in might know the answer to these questions. What could SC have said to her to persuade her to go to his house? What could he have said to persuade her to take a drive down Hana Hwy on a dark Sunday night when she was tired? At what time did she need to be @ work on Monday?

BBM

I'm still not sure if he did, because I am still of the mindset that she went home to get Nala and something may have happened to her there. . .or maybe just went home and didn't intend to go out with Nala. BUT if SC did convince her to meet him that night, I think it's as simple as he was the father of the baby. No matter how SC treated Charli I imagine there was still some type of hope she held that they would have some type of relationship, he would have a change of heart, etc. Maybe that is a wrong assumption, but it seems very normal to me. . .a pregnant woman hoping for a "traditional family" for her baby. A simple "let's talk" may have been enough.

An insider told me that parts/pieces/evidence of some sort of her cell phone were found burnt in the car. Unless that person or someone else verifies it, it is just rumor.

If I bash my phone to smithereens, throw it in the river, or throw it in a fire, will it still ring to the person that calls it? The service is still active. Anyone know?

This comes up in a lot of threads, and the short of it is yes. . .depending on the phone and the provider.

So little information, so many possibilities, and the only one that doesn't make sense is the only story we have.

RSBM

Boy, isn't that the truth of it right there?! It's as if nothing has been ruled out! :banghead:

One thing that bothers me is this app that was on Charli's phone that would erase all but the last ping. Who would have an app like that? Why did Charli? It just makes no sense to me. Which makes me wonder if it was even Charli that installed that app on her phone. If you were planning on killing someone, it would be quite handy to have all their cell pings erased except for the last one where you presumably dumped or destroyed their phone. It really makes me wonder about Charli thinking that someone was breaking in through her bathroom. Why would someone break in, but not steal anything? Perhaps to install on app??? :waitasec:

Whether or not she would have gone with him for a drive:

It depends on the dynamics of their relationship. If he was abusive and she was still somewhat under his 'control,' then she may have gone.

RSBM
I'm so sorry you went through all that. :( :hug:

I'll start out with a quote from an early MSM article, printed right after they found Charli's burned-out car:

"She’s a wonderful person, she takes care of everyone." - Charli's good friend, Lydia Gaines.

http://khon2.com/2014/02/13/maui-police-confirm-torched-car-belongs-to-missing-woman/

I think she did go to meet SC that night because he would have had no other reason to take Nala to Nahiku if Nala had not been in the SUV with Charli when they met.

Maybe they met somewhere other than at his house. Again, we only have his story, which is, IMHO, completely absurd. :moo:

When I got pregnant and would not get an abortion he said, "you mean I have to deal with you for the next 18 years?" Later that week he threatened to kill me; he broke down the bathroom door and held my head over a full tub of water and asked me if I wanted to die.

I am also very sorry that you had to go through that, but glad that you made your escape. :heartluv: You are very lucky to be here! And we are fortunate to have your perspective on this case. Your ex's statement reminds me of that post on SC's FB page, "Breaking a mirror is 7 years of bad luck, breaking a condom is 18".

BBM
***snipped for space***

One thing that bothers me is this app that was on Charli's phone that would erase all but the last ping. Who would have an app like that? Why did Charli? It just makes no sense to me. Which makes me wonder if it was even Charli that installed that app on her phone. If you were planning on killing someone, it would be quite handy to have all their cell pings erased except for the last one where you presumably dumped or destroyed their phone. It really makes me wonder about Charli thinking that someone was breaking in through her bathroom. Why would someone break in, but not steal anything? Perhaps to install on app??? :waitasec:

***snipped for space***:
I agree. Why would Charlie have such an app? Who would care where her pings were at, and would she care if anyone knew? I could see an app that would keep your phone pings off the radar (if there could even be such a thing), but erasing after the fact makes no sense, since those pings are still out there on the towers.

Are you sure it wasn't an app that if someone stole it and tried the wrong password multiple times it will delete everything off the phone .. Just a thought. If phone is equip with a FaceTime camera it's snaps a photo of the person and sends it to a designated email.

? the app looks like it is a type of social networking. And a possible circle could have been notified as this phone passed certain locations
It appears to me the app was a tracking devise non the less right?

The app was Life360. The free version apparently auto-erases its history.

Thank you for clarifying! I'm going to check if I still have that app and get rid of it if I do!
Question...even if her phone deleted pings, would the cell towers have the pings stored in it's memory?

I don't want to get off topic too far...but, I have the life360 app. (never use it) I got it when I first got my iphone and was searching popular and good apps. It advertises as a family locator. Why the H double L would an app that's suppose to be for safety delete important tracking data??!! I just tried to find info on this but am coming up with nothing! I am actually ticked about this! Anyone know how this app works specifically?

The app was Life360. The free version apparently auto-erases its history.
I don't understand. I've researched this product and as far as I can see, Life360 does nothing with actual pings. The phone still pings like it's supposed to. It might erase a history off the phone, but it doesn't erase the history from the provider. What I do see is that once a phone is turned off, Life360 does not allow you to look up the tracking history if a user was not actually logged in at the time the phone was turned off or went dead. If the phone was turned off to save battery power (I do this when I am going through an area I know doesn't have coverage because it will drain the battery incredibly fast), the app wouldn't update, either.

Interesting app that appears to have a lot of bugs, IMO. I hope the family can get a copy of Charli's records from her cell phone provider, but that usually takes a court order.

Delurking to say:

That "study" FB page doesn't seem to be about a non-objective exploration of finding out what happened to Charli as much a way to torment and try SC in the court of public opinion. I think it's very interesting and a little disturbing that whenever anyone brings up the only other obvious potential POI that we know about, Charli's landlord (someone who knew her and Nala and who let himself into her place and took her stuff before she had been gone more than a few days, suggesting he knew she wasn't coming back), the person who runs the "study" page deletes the comments. Or responds to the comments with dismissals like "forget the landlord." Just interesting. Why so eager to dismiss the landlord?

Good questions, Avocado. Especially when "A Study" opened it up for speculation. It sure would be wild if it was someone else all along and, here we were, vilifying (and rightly so, IMO, on so many levels) SC.

:welcome:

P.S. You are my favorite fruit.

ETA: If this other person was responsible, how do you see the timeline? That everything happened as SC said and Charli safely made it back to her place? To then then have someone else kill her and dispose of her body? Only problem with this theory is that the only POI is SC. It's difficult for me to take my focus off of SC but I'm trying here!

I repeatedly have questioned the landlord. I have 15 years as a property manager under my belt. It is unthinkable to take anything from a tenant's home AND is illegal. Why? Why did he start cleaning out her home? Baby items? For God sake! This has never added up for me.

I also posted the other day that not everyone posting on social media has good intentions. Read everything with a cautious eye. So aggressively pointing the finger at SC could be trying to take focus off something or someone else. Especially those posting anonymously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat