Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent analysis, Pua.

The second pair of pants could be an indication that he went back to the area to finish up and got messy in the process, IMHO. But we will have to see what size the pants are. If they are both the same size...

Also from this super detailed article from Maui Now

"Knight testified that one of Charli’s sisters had also noticed some tidbits of jewelry that was in the burn area.
At one point, Knight recalled Charli’s sister Brooke getting upset. “She got really emotional and started crying hysterically,” said Knight.

According to Knight, one of the individuals at the site got a phone call and handed it to him. The person on the other end informed him that Charli’s body had been found and that they were “repelling down to get it.”

Knight said he then relayed the information to Capobianco. “The first thing he asked was, ‘How?’,” said Knight. “It was very, as a matter of fact,” said Knight of Capobianco’s tone. “He didn’t seem very excited or surprised,” said Knight. He just said, “How?” according to Knight."

More good testimony for the jury.

Now we know it was Kyle who helped rescue Steven and Taylor in October, there's another piece of a real memory he could grab onto when the police started asking.

SC broke down on Hana Highway late at night. (real, but on his birthday, with Taylor)
He called Kyle and asked for a favor (real, at a different time, different favor, associated mentally with the earlier breakdown)
SC was with Charli in her truck on the way out to the site (real, but not because his truck was actually stranded).
He noticed the skull LED lights on her car (real, but not because she was following, from concern they were recognizable)
His grandfather noticed him come home at 11 (real, but the prior night)
He sent a text saying Thanks (but to Kyle, thanking him for tire source hookup, not to Charli, unless he did remember to send a fake thank you the next day, but honestly I doubt he did that on Monday, because he wasn't planning on telling that story)

It's easier to weave a tale out of bits of truths rather than all made up.

Excellent analysis, Pua.

The second pair of pants could be an indication that he went back to the area to finish up and got messy in the process, IMHO. But we will have to see what size the pants are. If they are both the same size...
Thank you, and I am hoping you and others have thoughts to add to make sense of these facts. I do not understand why no one has testified about the clothes yet, but I'm guessing a forensics expert will testify as to the condition of all the items. If not for the early motion hearings, we wouldn't know anything much yet about stab holes in her clothes, where located, and so forth, because the trio who found them didn't examine them.

Also from Maui Now, some bits of jewelry at the arson scene. Brooke crying. Because she knew the jewelry? Because Charli's car torched? Both? It doesn't say. Did they get testimony from Brooke about going to Peahi?

Thank you, and I am hoping you and others have thoughts to add to make sense of these facts. I do not understand why no one has testified about the clothes yet, but I'm guessing a forensics expert will testify as to the condition of all the items. If not for the early motion hearings, we wouldn't know anything much yet about stab holes in her clothes, where located, and so forth, because the trio who found them didn't examine them.

Also from Maui Now, some bits of jewelry at the arson scene. Brooke crying. Because she knew the jewelry? Because Charli's car torched? Both? It doesn't say. Did they get testimony from Brooke about going to Peahi?

Brooke is crying because she then knows that Charli has met with foul play, IMHO. She knows this because Charli has been separated from her vehicle and her dog.

Whenever I read that a woman has "disappeared" and she doesn't have her possessions with her - purse, cell phone, car, car/house keys, dog, etc. I think the worst. A woman might leave her house without her purse if she's going for a walk, but she will have her house keys with her and possibly her cell phone as well. And jewelry? If she was robbed, the thief would have taken the jewelry and pawned it.

Two other things to note regarding Kyle Knight's testimony.
1. He had NO problem calling male friends to help him fix his stranded vehicles at 0 dark thirty.
2. Taylor was asleep in the truck and never got out during the real "stuck truck" incident months earlier. SC borrowed that memory as well when he told the police that Charli never got out of the vehicle.

Brooke is crying because she then knows that Charli has met with foul play, IMHO. She knows this because Charli has been separated from her vehicle and her dog.

Whenever I read that a woman has "disappeared" and she doesn't have her possessions with her - purse, cell phone, car, car/house keys, dog, etc. I think the worst. A woman might leave her house without her purse if she's going for a walk, but she will have her house keys with her and possibly her cell phone as well. And jewelry? If she was robbed, the thief would have taken the jewelry and pawned it.

Two other things to note regarding Kyle Knight's testimony.
1. He had NO problem calling male friends to help him fix his stranded vehicles at 0 dark thirty.
2. Taylor was asleep in the truck and never got out during the real "stuck truck" incident months earlier. SC borrowed that memory as well when he told the police that Charli never got out of the vehicle.
Excellent stuff, Kapua! I was trying to tell you so, but my browser went wonky.
Re Brooke crying, yes totally about realization the outcome was bad. I was just wondering if maybe she had seen Charli wearing that jewelry that last night. Wondering why SC would put it in the truck or near, accident or staging, or was it jewelry that kicked around in the truck. What the heck did happen to her laptop, her ID, any purse or wallet, keys?

Those two additions are great. I'm going to add #2 to the list, and one more possible that I thought of due to your post.

STORY ELEMENTS followed by reality.

SC said he drove out Hana Highway at night on 2/8/14, driving out that way for amusement.
Real: Drove out there to celebrate on his birthday 10/2013, with Taylor.

SC said he was broken down past Keanae, in pullout near Wailua wayside.
Real: Broke down there with Taylor Oct 2013.

SC claims he asked Charli to help him with his truck, and she was willing to drive all the way out there.
Real: He called Kyle October 2013 for help with truck. and asked for a favor of bringing tire, and Kyle was willing.

SC said he asked Kyle for a ride to work 2/9 because Forerunner stuck.
Real: Kyle had hooked him up with a good deal on tires, and did also favor when truck was really stuck.

SC said he rode with Charli in her truck on the way out to the site.
Real: Rode with Taylor in October. Charli was in the truck 2/9, but may have been bound, drugged, or otherwise incapacitated.

SC said Charli never got out of vehicle.
Real: Taylor went to sleep in the truck and never got out during the real "stuck truck" incident October 2013. (thanks Kapua)

SC said he knew Charli was behind him "the whole time" on the way back, because skull LED lights on her car grille were unique.
Real: He was hyper aware the lights were recognizable and concerned "the whole time" that he was being seen and noticed. (thanks Kapua)

SC said grandfather noticed him come home at 11 on 2/9.
Real: grandfather noted he came home at 11 on 2/8.

SC said he sent Charli a text saying Thanks the next day.
Real: sent Kyle a Thanks text for tire source hookup.

SC told Cass that Charli may have stopped to shi shi because pregnant women do that a lot, and something happened, maybe carjacked.
Possible?: Charli maybe insisted she needed to go on the way out? Nala needed to go? Maybe Nala got left behind at the spot?

SC says he last saw Charli (headlights) around Ulalena or Twin Falls.
Possible?: Lost Nala around there? Did Nala chase the vehicle like Charli taught her?

SC says he doesn't know why Nala was found in Nahiku.
Possibly real: he genuinely doesn't know because someone found Nala and transported her.

SC said truck repair only took ten minutes, because he brought extra light tools or extra light and tools?
Possible?: 10 minutes relates to some part of the crime? He had tools with him to hurt her, or his tools were too light to perform the dismemberment?

I'm trying to piece together the missing gas tank from Charli's burned vehicle. I'm not mechanically savvy, but here's my best theory so far:

I think SC may have sweet-talked Charli to see him, maybe under the premise that he wanted to try and work things out since there's a baby on the way. She gets to his place but her gas tank's empty, which is NOT a part of his plan. Maybe he siphons the gas out of his 4Runner so her vehicle has enough gas to get to Nua'ailua and back. (Later on, this means he can't drive his 4Runner to Hanzawa's to meet Taylor because there's not enough gas in it. So he takes his old Ford pickup with the bald tires instead.)

Back to Charli's 4Runner, which has now become a crime scene. SC has torched cars before, he knows there are plenty of torched cars out by Jaws. So he drives to Jaws (perhaps after dropping Nala off somewhere closer to civilization) and now he needs gas to torch the car. He's got to get rid of the evidence fast. He knows a bit about fixing cars and how to take them apart. Maybe he decides to remove the gas tank from Charli's 4Runner and douse the car with the remaining fuel? (Is this possible? Like I said, I'm not car savvy so I don't know whether a gas tank could be removed for this purpose. I'm just thinking it kinda makes sense.)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HGO in your timeline you put evening before sunset on 2/12. I think its harder to dial the connection from when the truck was found to when SC left the others.

Removing a gas tank in the dark could take an hour easy unless you had a few dress rehearsals.

I feel a bit of an echo chamber in here and I think its important to remember just because its been said in here a bunch of times does not make it real. At this point we are really just spectators.

One thing thats hard to find in any of the maps is the elevation. You climb high before Paraquats out of Honomanu and drop down into Paraquats and then up again out of Paraquats. Down into the valleys.

I've been discussing this case at length with my housemate. She has her own theory of what happened, and she's given me permission to share it with you all:

She believes SC didn't plan to murder Charli; she thinks he was probably high on drugs and became enraged with Charli while trying to talk her out of having the baby. He decided on the spot to just kill her, maybe with that 4-6" knife he wore on his belt buckle.

My housemate says her theory explains why SC was so disorganized afterward, why his stories are full of holes, why evidence was left all over the place. She thinks if he'd really planned the murder, he'd have thought up a believable cover story and done a better job of covering his tracks.

I disagree with my housemate on a lot of points, especially the part about it being unplanned. I think SC intended to kill Charli way before she met him that night. But I can see her point about the disorganization afterward and how that could lead one to think he never thought it through because maybe he never planned it. I hope no one minds that I shared her theory here; I personally find it refreshing to hear a totally different point of view.

I do agree with others on this forum that SC was caught off guard when first questioned by police; he panicked and invented a story weaving threads of real, unrelated events into it.

HGO in your timeline you put evening before sunset on 2/12. I think its harder to dial the connection from when the truck was found to when SC left the others.

Thanks! I'll fix that when I get home.

Makani, your idea about the gas tank sounds right to me. From the very beginning I've read and reread his interview with Mileka Lincoln looking for truths and semi-truths. I always felt like Twin Falls was more than just a landmark. And Charli might love the world out of SC but it doesn't mean she's dumb. If her sister says she was panicked about a previous kidnapping attempt, why would she trust him late at night, alone? Why not tell baby sister she was going out?

SC's reason for luring Charli had to be innoculous and safe. Btw, if Taylor was blowing up SC's cell all day, it's pretty risky for SC to hang around locally where he could be found by her and or others. Someone texting/calling me 90x in one day might mean they'd drive past my house.

Where could they have met? Where could he have met her with a container of gas? Where would they meet after 8pm in the Haiku area where Charli felt safe?

I've been discussing this case at length with my housemate. She has her own theory of what happened, and she's given me permission to share it with you all:

She believes SC didn't plan to murder Charli; she thinks he was probably high on drugs and became enraged with Charli while trying to talk her out of having the baby. He decided on the spot to just kill her, maybe with that 4-6" knife he wore on his belt buckle.

My housemate says her theory explains why SC was so disorganized afterward, why his stories are full of holes, why evidence was left all over the place. She thinks if he'd really planned the murder, he'd have thought up a believable cover story and done a better job of covering his tracks.

I disagree with my housemate on a lot of points, especially the part about it being unplanned. I think SC intended to kill Charli way before she met him that night. But I can see her point about the disorganization afterward and how that could lead one to think he never thought it through because maybe he never planned it. I hope no one minds that I shared her theory here; I personally find it refreshing to hear a totally different point of view.

I do agree with others on this forum that SC was caught off guard when first questioned by police; he panicked and invented a story weaving threads of real, unrelated events into it.

I agree with you because of Taylor Farner's testimony. According to Maui Now:

Farner testified that she had tried to make contact with Capobianco on Sunday, Feb. 9, 2014, but said the defendant was not able to make contact immediately. “He just said he had something to take care of,” said Farner.

http://mauinow.com/2016/08/03/ex-girlfriend-capobianco-hated-kids/

I'm trying to piece together the missing gas tank from Charli's burned vehicle. I'm not mechanically savvy, but here's my best theory so far:

I think SC may have sweet-talked Charli to see him, maybe under the premise that he wanted to try and work things out since there's a baby on the way. She gets to his place but her gas tank's empty, which is NOT a part of his plan. Maybe he siphons the gas out of his 4Runner so her vehicle has enough gas to get to Nua'ailua and back. (Later on, this means he can't drive his 4Runner to Hanzawa's to meet Taylor because there's not enough gas in it. So he takes his old Ford pickup with the bald tires instead.)

Back to Charli's 4Runner, which has now become a crime scene. SC has torched cars before, he knows there are plenty of torched cars out by Jaws. So he drives to Jaws (perhaps after dropping Nala off somewhere closer to civilization) and now he needs gas to torch the car. He's got to get rid of the evidence fast. He knows a bit about fixing cars and how to take them apart. Maybe he decides to remove the gas tank from Charli's 4Runner and douse the car with the remaining fuel? (Is this possible? Like I said, I'm not car savvy so I don't know whether a gas tank could be removed for this purpose. I'm just thinking it kinda makes sense.)

I think removing the gas tank served a dual purpose, extra gas for the fire but also if he'd lit the vehicle on fire with gas in the tank it might explode and alert area residents to it having been set on fire, esp. before he could get far enough away to plausibly not have been there. I guess he didn't account for the smoke it gave off alerting at least one resident of the fire.

I've been reading along here since they killed the live stream, just wanted to thank you all for the details, on-site and personal knowledge, and links to articles, sure wish they'd start the stream back up but at least through you I and others can keep up with the trial. Much appreciated.

I have a difficult time getting past the information from Brooke that Charli was afraid to be alone with SC. If not for that, I lean towards he didn't intend to kill her that night. SC telling Taylor he had something to do that night could mean many things such as a "business dealing", perhaps with Charli's involvement, not necessarily that he had plans to murder her.
If he did "plan" to kill Charli you'd think he'd have more than one back-up story to whip out rather than winging it to the world via M. Lincoln.
Does anyone who knew her think she'd feel safe meeting him at her house?

I have a difficult time getting past the information from Brooke that Charli was afraid to be alone with SC. If not for that, I lean towards he didn't intend to kill her that night. SC telling Taylor he had something to do that night could mean many things such as a "business dealing", perhaps with Charli's involvement, not necessarily that he had plans to murder her.
If he did "plan" to kill Charli you'd think he'd have more than one back-up story to whip out rather than winging it to the world via M. Lincoln.
Does anyone who knew her think she'd feel safe meeting him at her house?

I lok back at all his FB postings previous about murder and killing ones and think he was inclined to solve a problem this way. It had been bouncing around in his head for a while. I spoke with a friend not long after who said he was a fan of Clown Posse the band....A murderous trio.

He also told his girlfriend he was working on a friend's truck that Sunday night. He planned to hurt Charli. Whatever he used to cut her fingers off with was not a light tool. Can you cut up a whole chicken with a 6 in serrated blade? I guess you could.

Who helped him remove the doors and the fuel tank?

Who gave him a ride home from Jaws? He couldn't have walked if he saw Taylor at 12:30 am.

I think removing the gas tank served a dual purpose, extra gas for the fire but also if he'd lit the vehicle on fire with gas in the tank it might explode and alert area residents to it having been set on fire, esp. before he could get far enough away to plausibly not have been there. I guess he didn't account for the smoke it gave off alerting at least one resident of the fire.

I've been reading along here since they killed the live stream, just wanted to thank you all for the details, on-site and personal knowledge, and links to articles, sure wish they'd start the stream back up but at least through you I and others can keep up with the trial. Much appreciated.

I can tell you from experience removing tanks from cars and Chevy blazers its no easy task. First you are under the car. Is it nighttime? Second, there are a lot of big heavy bolts for balance and security. and probably a few protector plates around it. Third hard plastic wiring and the filler pipe. All at difficult angles and not a lot of room to wrench. Fourth if there is gas in it its heavy and will drop or pull against the bolts you are wrenching because it wants to drop.(Gravity)https://www.google.com/search?q=remove+gas+tank+toyota+4+runner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=remove+gas+tank+toyota+4runner&tbm=vid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member