GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree Peter. After watching her in court yesterday, she was very strong and firm in her answers. She fell in love with someone who adored her. That feels good for any woman. She didn't do anything wrong. She didn't pull the trigger on Charli's death. SC wanted Charli gone long before she came along. Well not long but days before CK stepped on to the scene. I got the sense from CK that she felt extremely betrayed and maybe even a little frightened. I don't think she knew about SC's darkside and his truck bed of ex girlfriends and drugs. SC wasn't "balling" so what status are you assuming she was after in rural Maui?

You answer your own question when you say "Rural Maui". What is Balling here. I will tell you. Jacked up Toyota Truck with a Pitbull. A couple Tatts and a Trucker hat. Beach days at Makena and a good supply of weed and whatnot. Some guns and a cool pad in the Jungle. Te Molly supplier at all the Maui Raves and Bars. Yeah...perspective...in that young person and SC's eyes...he was kinda ballin

Right....I was being facetious, but also unsure if SC, alone, claimed grandpa saw him home at 11 or if gp actually told the police he saw him then. GP is on the witness list (isn't he?) so presumably he has been questioned by MPD at least once. If he claims SC was home by 11, then, major Hmmmmmmm about gp.

That's perjury, and I hope he is charged with that if he doesn't tell the truth.

Class is 2 1/2 years older now and that's a chunk of life growth time at that age. Plus her life has had just a little serious stuff intrude. Maybe she wasn't so admirable then and is strong now. She strikes me as an intelligent girl who feels like most people don't get her inner core and she uses her outer appearance to gain social popularity as is the norm for her age. She's not an empty headed twit. Her aunt must have worked on straightening her out too, about being more careful in aligning with guys she doesn't really know.
I remember her saying his mysteriousness made him sexy. But the mystery turned out to be evil and dark, not what she thought it was, not depth, not soul, narcissism instead.

"A lot of..."

Anyway, CK described a serious relationship with SC in which she stayed at his house for two weeks in October 2013. She says he paid for everything during those two weeks and was very affectionate with her. No lack of PDA in this relationship, they were very public with their relationship. SC still looked like he had googoo eyes for Cassie.
Looks to me like Steven has a "type" and Taylor and Cassie fit his fantasy and thus he is proud to be seen with them. More petite, younger than him, not maternal, admiring of him, maybe a little ditzy.

Charli was not his type. He denigrates her looks and her build, her mouth, her outspokenness, her unicorn love, and I don't know what all else, but she did not fit his fantasy of the Steven Capobianco goddess. Charli was gorgeous, unique, and a giver, but Steven didn't want any PDA with her so that all the other fish in the sea would see he was available, not taken, is my perception.

That's perjury, and I hope he is charged with that if he doesn't tell the truth.
I feel the same, but wonder how many family members on Maui or in Hawai'i have been charged with perjury when they lied to protect a family member. I wonder if perjury is charged often at all. I would think that a false statement in 2014 would also be OOJ (obstruction of justice) and/or later obstruction of a homicide investigation. LE probably uses these potential charges for crimes as leverage to get cooperation.

I hope he tells the truth, but probably the only person who can contradict him is SC. The jury has to watch him and decide if they believe.

Re the baby, there apparently was a member of the family with a baby at the time, a boy, but the mother has no connection to the case, isn't a sibling to SC, and isn't part of Steven's crowd either.

11 PM is impossible with the phone ping @ 10:46. My guess is that was closer to midnight - 1 AM when he returned home. The phone records will tell the tale.
Yes, 11 PM would not be possible for the killer, for that reason, which is why it would be a good alibi to have.

Rivera's opening statement said that their two phones went out Hana Highway and only his returned, so we know there is info on his phone to come.

I was just trying to find the time of the last ping (10:56 pm, essentially 11 PM for a number easy to remember), and my search had results from early websleuths on the case, some posts that now jump out at me because we have asked questions recently about those facts.

1) fromtheladle explained that Charli had the free version of Life 360, and it only kept the last ping in memory. (Presumably if one upgraded to the paid app it would/could save more of a history.)

So Charli's cell provider records should tell when her phone left Haiku and went down Hana Highway, whether she drove home to Makawao or over to Steven's, if her phone went to Nahiku, assuming there is a cell tower past Honomanu for it to ping. Ditto for Steven. They should tell whether Nahiku was before or after Paraquat's. When Steven got back to Haiku.

It's hard to believe he didn't understand that a smart phone has GPS. That he didn't at least disable Location Services on his phone? He must not be very tech savvy for a millennial.

There was an old post by speedy1966, who knew the family and people involved, that said there was a phone in her torched Forerunner, that was too destroyed to be identified whether it could be hers. I've never heard that discussed recently. There is only one missing phone we know of. Somewhere in the archives there is at least one statement from Kim about how her phone still responded for a couple days IIRC. Anyone remember?

Re the truck, speedy or ftl explained that SC's Forerunner was silver, like Charli's. So any reference to a white truck should be the new one he was paying on.

I found an interview with Kim from 2/16/14 where she states that Charli's phone is STILL ringing, seven days after she went missing. I just don't understand how that could be. Unfortunately she does not get asked to clarify how many times it rings, or state clearly when it goes to voicemail. But ringing usually means more ringing than going straight to voicemail.

Yes, 11 PM would not be possible for the killer, for that reason, which is why it would be a good alibi to have.

Rivera's opening statement said that their two phones went out Hana Highway and only his returned, so we know there is info on his phone to come.

I was just trying to find the time of the last ping (10:56 pm, essentially 11 PM for a number easy to remember), and my search had results from early websleuths on the case, some posts that now jump out at me because we have asked questions recently about those facts.

1) fromtheladle explained that Charli had the free version of Life 360, and it only kept the last ping in memory. (Presumably if one upgraded to the paid app it would/could save more of a history.)

So Charli's cell provider records should tell when her phone left Haiku and went down Hana Highway, whether she drove home to Makawao or over to Steven's, if her phone went to Nahiku, assuming there is a cell tower past Honomanu for it to ping. Ditto for Steven. They should tell whether Nahiku was before or after Paraquat's. When Steven got back to Haiku.

It's hard to believe he didn't understand that a smart phone has GPS. That he didn't at least disable Location Services on his phone? He must not be very tech savvy for a millennial.

There was an old post by speedy1966, who knew the family and people involved, that said there was a phone in her torched Forerunner, that was too destroyed to be identified whether it could be hers. I've never heard that discussed recently. There is only one missing phone we know of. Somewhere in the archives there is at least one statement from Kim about how her phone still responded for a couple days IIRC. Anyone remember?

Re the truck, speedy or ftl explained that SC's Forerunner was silver, like Charli's. So any reference to a white truck should be the new one he was paying on.

Yes, it was 10:56, I went back and checked, too.

Regarding pings - the GPS, location, and most likely the 360 app utilize satellite technology. This is super accurate and not dependent on cell towers. Satellites are not impeded by mountains and rugged terrain. Whether or not you have GPS/location turned on, the approximate location of your phone can be determined by which cell tower your phone is 'pinging' most strongly from; in other words, where the signal is the strongest. There was a lot of discussion about this way back when and the family seemed distressed that the free version of the app didn't track exactly where she went. However, I believe that her movement, or more correctly, the movement of her phone can be determined by the signal strength between her phone and the cell towers in the area. Also, some cell towers are private. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that a satellite ping is not the same as a cell tower ping, so Charli's family need not worry that there is no record of where her phone was. I think we will see that there is. And that's why I cannot wait to hear what the phone experts have to say. From the opening statements, I think the prosecution has this all figured out.

I have GPS on my smart phone but I don't always turn it on.

SC calls his 4Runner a truck, so I don't know which is which, or why he would need to hitchhike to work when he has TWO vehicles. Here's a picture of Taylor with what I think is the 4Runner. I would consider a 4Runner an SUV, but what do I know? I like your idea of thinking of "white truck" as the relatively new Ford. Charli's car looks darker to me, but it's probably the lighting. (see pics)

I think the rumors of a burned cell phone in Charli's vehicle were incorrect. I do remember Kim saying that Charli's phone responded for a couple of days. Mine would not have stayed charged that long...

Charli'sTruck.jpg

TaylorTruck.jpg

Yes, it was 10:56, I went back and checked, too.

Regarding pings - the GPS, location, and most likely the 360 app utilize satellite technology. This is super accurate and not dependent on cell towers. Satellites are not impeded by mountains and rugged terrain. Whether or not you have GPS/location turned on, the approximate location of your phone can be determined by which cell tower your phone is 'pinging' most strongly from; in other words, where the signal is the strongest. There was a lot of discussion about this way back when and the family seemed distressed that the free version of the app didn't track exactly where she went. However, I believe that her movement, or more correctly, the movement of her phone can be determined by the signal strength between her phone and the cell towers in the area. Also, some cell towers are private. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that a satellite ping is not the same as a cell tower ping, so Charli's family need not worry that there is no record of where her phone was. I think we will see that there is. And that's why I cannot wait to hear what the phone experts have to say. From the opening statements, I think the prosecution has this all figured out.

I have GPS on my smart phone but I don't always turn it on.

SC calls his 4Runner a truck, so I don't know which is which, or why he would need to hitchhike to work when he has TWO vehicles. Here's a picture of Taylor with what I think is the 4Runner. I would consider a 4Runner an SUV, but what do I know? I like your idea of thinking of "white truck" as the relatively new Ford. Charli's car looks darker to me, but it's probably the lighting. (see pics)

I think the rumors of a burned cell phone in Charli's vehicle were incorrect. I do remember Kim saying that Charli's phone responded for a couple of days. Mine would not have stayed charged that long...

attachment.php

attachment.php
Thanks for reminder about the satellite technology. Clearly the Life360 must work with satellite imagery because of the image it produces of a satellite map which it then overlays with name of phone user location pinpointed on the map.

OK, so I will discount the phone in burned car.

The interview with Kim is the audio one on YouTube where she talks about Nala being ready to search, and Phaedra lists what items she found. It was published on Sunday the 16th and at latest was recorded Saturday. She says the phone is still ringing. No battery would last that long, as many times as they have called it, right? My iPhone would not, and it has better battery life than a 2014 edition, and hers was probably not brand new.

It made me wonder if he kept it and charged it so they would believe she was still alive, that's all. That would be stupid, but he did plenty of stupid. Otherwise some kind of glitch.

As the mother myself of iPhone users who break their phones all too often, my experience is when the phone is not working any more, that it no longer goes to voicemail and instead says that the AT&T subscriber is not available at this time.

Re the new truck, we have that he drove it to Hanzawa's late at night and to Taylor's place in Haiku on a Sumday. He may not have had it registered or with current safety. It just sounds like he's not going out where he might get a ticket. Or it might have bald tires, also a ticket and you cannot get a safety sticker here if the tread on your tires is below a certain depth, nor should you drive it far. There are various reasons he might not take it to Paia for work.

Another thing I'm familiar with due to having a son living here with three cars and somehow there is at most one that can legally be on the road. Another mechanical type with not enough money ...

Coincidentally, the same son of mine needed a "work truck" and he bought a Forerunnner. I also thought of it as an SUV, but it depends on how you use it I guess. I have other friends who bought serial Forerunners for camping trips, and to them it was their weekend escape SUV. ;-)

Ah, that makes sense! Considering that he was already driving with a suspended license, he would probably not want to be driving a truck without proper documents in an area that's regularly patrolled.

Ah, that makes sense! Considering that he was already driving with a suspended license, he would probably not want to be driving a truck without proper documents in an area that's regularly patrolled.
Exactly, especially when the suspension is almost up.

Some years ago I went to Kaua'i to visit a friend living in Ke'e, who told us we had to come pick him up because his car couldn't go past the bridge that marked the border of that district. That sounded odd to me, but he explained that his safety sticker wasn't current, and the cops in his own district knew him and liked him, would give him a pass, but if he went across the bridge he would surely get a ticket. I had never heard of safety stickers before.

For those who don't have them, they are on the back same as a registration tag, so it's readily apparent to police if you don't have one. They have to be renewed annually or you can't re-register your vehicle. All the windows have to roll up and down, wipers, blinkers, lights, tires, mirrors, windows, no cracked or pitted windshield, and so forth.

Sometimes it gets to be more than the car is worth to bring it up to snuff when one or more of these things goes wonky.

So this is spec, but why would an employer loan money for a guy to get big mud tires ...but they might if the vehicle has to get new tires in order to pass safety, so the employee can drive it to work. That's just something I was thinking, could be totally off base.

And with drugs.

Other than exposing SC for more lies...would it matter if Kyle Knight never gave SC a ride anywhere?

The truck thing is still confusing ...
Please indulge...No new Ford truck is mentioned. Is someone mistaken?

According to the Maui news article:

In Oct. '13, Taylor went w/ SC out Hana Rd. in his "every day" truck, (which broke down)

On Feb 2, Super Bowl Sunday, SC drove the "new white 4Runner"....

Late Sunday/early Monday, the fateful Feb 9/10, when he met Taylor & a friend at Hanzawa's, SC "arrived in his white truck,

the same truck that got stuck on the Hāna Highway in October of 2013"...

"Farner said she also recalled asking the defendant about his 4Runner and said he told her that it was broken down at his house"...

And what vehicle did SC clean up on Monday, Feb 10, according to FTL?
:thinking:

There are so many other important revelations in the two girlfriend's testimonies, but I really do want to this this part straight--it helps to untangle the narrative as the facts roll out.

Thanks, all!

SC had a DUI and I imagine buying another vehicle would help him stay incognito. As an employer sometimes fronting Employees money is a way to keep them in line. Big Tires to impress his Goddess.

Other than exposing SC for more lies...would it matter if Kyle Knight never gave SC a ride anywhere?

Considering where he may given him a ride. Don't forget Kyle was one of SC's biggest defenders. And very involved searching.

Da best:

Farner said it was into the early morning hours of Feb. 10, 2014, when the defendant finally contacted her in a text.
In a May 8, 2014 interview, police had questioned Farner about some 90 attempts to reach Capobianco on her phone.
When defense attorney Jon Apo asked Farner about the attempts she said, “I remember thinking okay, he’s not going to answer me, so I’m going to blow him up,” said Farner.

http://mauinow.com/2016/08/03/ex-girlfriend-capobianco-hated-kids/

Looks to me like Steven has a "type" and Taylor and Cassie fit his fantasy and thus he is proud to be seen with them. More petite, younger than him, not maternal, admiring of him, maybe a little ditzy.

Charli was not his type. He denigrates her looks and her build, her mouth, her outspokenness, her unicorn love, and I don't know what all else, but she did not fit his fantasy of the Steven Capobianco goddess. Charli was gorgeous, unique, and a giver, but Steven didn't want any PDA with her so that all the other fish in the sea would see he was available, not taken, is my perception.

Ironically I discovered a pic of SC's mom when she had her hair pulled back and done up. She favored Charli for a brief glance. CK is petite like SC's maternal grandmother and it's locally known that she had a hand in raising him. Certainly his grammar would have been influenced by her. I wonder if subconciously, he was attracted to the woman most like his dear grandma-ma.

Then again, Taylor... Ok. Forget what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean