GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was around the second or third week of September. I think the temper rampage and the night with Charli were the same time. It was October for that birthday drive. I was definitely surprised to hear about the birthday so soon after.

CK comes into the picture in late Oct or Nov, but I don't remember exactly.

Yeah, Taylor broke up with him in mid-September, he burglarizes her house, slashes her tires, and in October she's in a black dress celebrating his birthday with him on Hana Hwy. :notgood: And on... was it Feb 2? he's at a Superbowl party at her house. :doh:

Did she not have a clue who it was that burglarized her house and slashed her tires???

Found it:

http://mauinow.com/2014/04/14/steven-capobianco-arrested-in-burglary-case/

According to police reports, the alleged burglary occurred between 5 p.m. on Sept. 8, 2013, and 11 a.m. on Sept. 19, 2013, when an unknown person or persons unlawfully entered a residence on ʻEono Place in Haʻikū.

Police say a Dell laptop computer valued at $200, and a 20-inch iMac laptop computer valued at $1,400 were stolen from within.

Before leaving the premises, police say the responsible(s) also deflated the tires to one vehicle and slashed the tires of another vehicle, causing an estimated $800 in damage.

The female individual who filed the complainant told police that she was holding onto one of the computers for a friend who was going out of town, and the only other person who knew the location of the computer besides herself and the owner was Capobianco, according to police reports.

At a later date, the complainant later learned some of her jewelry had also been taken during the burglary, according to police reports.

Point taken, but he could presumably get from Charli, who still loved him, but kept that connection on the down low. He had a type for the girl he wanted the public to see him with, where he got the particular ego boost he needed. That is, as long as the prize doesn't slap his ego down by cheating.

I was serious that Taylor was lucky nothing happened when they broke down on Hana Highway. Maybe the fact she was his cousin's BFF gave her some immunity though.

In Charli's case, he had no problem with hurting her family. Probably a bonus from his twisted perspective. Except he unleashed all the furies of hell on himself by messing with that ohana. Big miscalculation. Maybe he thought the police wouldn't go the extra mile because the family was neither tourist nor local. It would just be one more unsolved case of a woman going missing on Maui.

He also lost his friends Adam and the Kaisers, and eventually his precious job with Mana Foods where he met much of his social circle and his girls -- the main job he had held on Maui. Apparently didn't foresee that either.

I think he thought MPD would not follow through because of what happened with Mo Monsalve. It got him thinking. He saw how Bobby Brown got away with it. He was obsessed with Cass and so infatuated nothing was going to get in his way and if that meant murder well Maui was the place to do it. He just used Charli. She was really becoming a thorn in his side and he wanted gone from this relationship and to move on with Cass to live happily ever after. I think his rage did indeed come out that night as you suggested. That she probably said "No" was going to keep the baby and he had made up his mind no matter what, she was not.

And ironically it was probably the ball dropping that MPD did with the Monsalve case that spurred them on not to make the same mistake twice with Charli.

I think he thought MPD would not follow through because of what happened with Mo Monsalve. It got him thinking. He saw how Bobby Brown got away with it. He was obsessed with Cass and so infatuated nothing was going to get in his way and if that meant murder well Maui was the place to do it. He just used Charli. She was really becoming a thorn in his side and he wanted gone from this relationship and to move on with Cass to live happily ever after. I think his rage did indeed come out that night as you suggested. That she probably said "No" was going to keep the baby and he had made up his mind no matter what, she was not.

And ironically it was probably the ball dropping that MPD did with the Monsalve case that spurred them on not to make the same mistake twice with Charli.

I hope by some miracle that Mo is found and Bernard Brown charged. But Brown hid the body well, although her purse was found in a dumpster, he kept his mouth shut, and he got the heck out of Maui. HIs two big mistakes were admitting that he was the last one to see her, and dropping her car off at a mechanic's shop when it was working just fine. IMHO.

This exactly. Spot on. That sounds so right about Mo and Bobby Brown. And exactly, when she gave him a NO when he finally told her it was not going to fly with him. (And it was too late for a termination.)

He may have noted too the 2013 pregnant girlfriend murder/manslaughter that did not go well for the guy, on the Big Island, with Brittany and Bo. Bo dragged her body to a cliff edge and pushed her into the ocean, but she was found (stripped) at dawn before the sharks really got to her. I visited friends on Maui in Makawao a couple months before Charli disappeared, about the age group of Steven and Charli, and they were talking about that shocking and sad crime. That MAY have made him aware that the ocean isn't a foolproof dump site for a whole intact body with a large tattoo such as Brittany had too and which provided the first tentative ID.

The ocean would have been the easiest way to go, but instead he dismembered Charli.
That to me is odd that he went to such gruesome lengths there yet didn't bother to rehearse a consistent alibi. Perhaps he wanted to obliterate Charli and Joshua and that was the point more than hiding the crime. Taking wanting them gone to the farthest extreme possible.

Yeah. Whatever happened with the Mo case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The case is still open and a missing persons case because no proof of death. Not all forgotten, searches still being made. I read somewhere the family believes she went into the ocean.
Hawaii cannot extradite BB from California without proof of the crime.
I think SC could not leave the island because he was on probation and besides didn't want to go. By April, he was charged with burglary, so he was really stuck. Being out on bail he could be extradited. He really started to unravel, but I don't think it was remorse. More likely losing Cass and I think his job, and so many people despising him on a small island.

The case is still open and a missing persons case because no proof of death. Not all forgotten, searches still being made. I read somewhere the family believes she went into the ocean.
Hawaii cannot extradite BB from California without proof of the crime.
I think SC could not leave the island because he was on probation and besides didn't want to go. By April, he was charged with burglary, so he was really stuck. Being out on bail he could be extradited. He really started to unravel, but I don't think it was remorse. More likely losing Cass and I think his job, and so many people despising him on a small island.

He could have figured a way off. But his ego wouldn't have it. Maui was HIS island. He had plans with Cass HERE. He was scared. Not of MPD but the outside world. Being out of his very small pond. And.... he still might get off. The case isnt over yet.

On Wednesday, the jury was attentive and most were scribbling furious notes. When CK testified that SC "hated children," SC glanced at the jury to gauge their reactions. The women on the jury have no problem looking him in the eye.

Maybe the only reason she met him was because he told her he had the money he owed her.

That makes 3 vehicles, then.

"She said the white truck was a different vehicle from the new 4Runner she saw Capobianco driving to a Super Bowl party at her house in 2014."

Re Feb 2, Sunday:
These must be from two different sources (?); slightly different wording. Kapua, to what event is she referring when she says, "white truck"? I know I haven't seen every article...Which source are you quoting?

"Farner testified that she saw the defendant with a NEW VEHICLE, a WHITE 4RUNNER, during the Superbowl in 2014" [on Sunday, Feb 2, caps mine].

(From Maui NOW, linked here. http://mauinow.com/2016/08/03/ex-girlfriend-capobianco-hated-kids/ )

Re Feb 2, Sunday:
These must be from two different sources (?); slightly different wording. Kapua, to what event is she referring when she says, "white truck"? I know I haven't seen every article...Which source are you quoting?

"Farner testified that she saw the defendant with a NEW VEHICLE, a WHITE 4RUNNER, during the Superbowl in 2014" [on Sunday, Feb 2, caps mine].

(From Maui NOW, linked here. http://mauinow.com/2016/08/03/ex-girlfriend-capobianco-hated-kids/ )

Yes, the other source is Maui News.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...ated--hours-after-Scott-last-seen.html?nav=10

I just reread both of those articles. The 08/03 article you linked states that Taylor was asked to identify two vehicles. The Maui News article I linked says:

She said the white truck was a different vehicle from the new 4Runner she saw Capobianco driving to a Super Bowl party at her house in 2014.

In an interview with police detectives in 2014, Capobianco said he wasn't worried about leaving the 4Runner, which was equipped with an expensive sound system, along Hana Highway near Keanae the night of Feb. 8, 2014.

So he had a white truck and the gray 4Runner. Is that the 4Runner or the truck in the picture with Taylor in Maui Now? From Taylor's account, it seems that the 4Runner was his more recently acquired vehicle.

Taylor's continued enjoyment of her lifestyle clearly let her overlook many things, as did Steven's. How could she not have recalled instantly that night she met him to buy the drug?? That high?? Was it only hen she got caught w/ the texts (on his phone? --we'll find out)...so, I'm with whomever it was that questioned whether she told the whole truth.

I want to remind y'all, too, that as packed as those terrible days in Feb of '14 were, as we find out more and more from the police, sisters, friends, girlfriends and other players--remember Steven's facebook page was packed full of posts those afternoons!! ...I've lost my screenshots. Dang! But I think Peter Tosh said he had them? ... I need to go back and construct a new timeline...

Yes, the other source is Maui News.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...ated--hours-after-Scott-last-seen.html?nav=10

I just reread both of those articles. The 08/03 article you linked states that Taylor was asked to identify two vehicles. The Maui News article I linked says:

She said the white truck was a different vehicle from the new 4Runner she saw Capobianco driving to a Super Bowl party at her house in 2014.

In an interview with police detectives in 2014, Capobianco said he wasn't worried about leaving the 4Runner, which was equipped with an expensive sound system, along Hana Highway near Keanae the night of Feb. 8, 2014.

So he had a white truck and the gray 4Runner. Is that the 4Runner or the truck in the picture with Taylor in Maui Now? From Taylor's account, it seems that the 4Runner was his more recently acquired vehicle.

Ok ok ok....what white truck? Since 4Runners are also referred to as "trucks" and I have yet to see any vehicle ID'd as a truck, as in pick-up, which and what kind of "truck" is it that we have here? Btw, Taylor did not mention a gray vehicle.

...Might she be mistaken? --or-- May we paraphrase this to say,

"She said the white/[gray] truck/[4Runner] was a different vehicle from the new [White] 4Runner she saw Capobianco driving to a Super Bowl party at her house in 2014."
??

:blowkiss:

Taylor's continued enjoyment of her lifestyle clearly let her overlook many things, as did Steven's. How could she not have recalled instantly that night she met him to buy the drug?? That high?? Was it only hen she got caught w/ the texts (on his phone? --we'll find out)...so, I'm with whomever it was that questioned whether she told the whole truth.

I want to remind y'all, too, that as packed as those terrible days in Feb of '14 were, as we find out more and more from the police, sisters, friends, girlfriends and other players--remember Steven's facebook page was packed full of posts those afternoons!! ...I've lost my screenshots. Dang! But I think Peter Tosh said he had them? ... I need to go back and construct a new timeline...

I am putting together a timeline based only on testimony.

Taylor probably thought twice about calling the police at first because she had to admit to doing something illegal and was scared. It was Apo, the defense attorney, who questioned whether she told the whole truth. I think she told the truth as she remembers it. SC, as we have seen, never missed an opportunity to make a buck.

I hardly looked at his FB page. It gave me chills. But I can understand how friends and acquaintances might feel before all of the evidence emerged.

Ok ok ok....what white truck? Since 4Runners are also referred to as "trucks" and I have yet to see any vehicle ID'd as a truck, as in pick-up, which and what kind of "truck" is it that we have here? Btw, Taylor did not mention a gray vehicle.

...Might she be mistaken? --or-- May we paraphrase this to say,

"She said the white/[gray] truck/[4Runner] was a different vehicle from the new [White] 4Runner she saw Capobianco driving to a Super Bowl party at her house in 2014."
??

Exactly! If SC and everyone else would call the 4Runner either a 4Runner or an SUV, that would help a lot. I will try to find the post regarding the color of the 4Runner.

I tried searching back but I could not find the post. But I clearly recall someone posting that Charli's 4Runner and SC's 4Runner were the same color. I did find a better picture of Charli's 4Runner on the first page of Thread #3. It looks light gray in the sun. Here it is:

Charlis4Run.jpg

Exactly! If SC and everyone else would call the 4Runner either a 4Runner or an SUV, that would help a lot. I will try to find the post regarding the color of the 4Runner.

I tried searching back but I could not find the post. But I clearly recall someone posting that Charli's 4Runner and SC's 4Runner were the same color. I did find a better picture of Charli's 4Runner on the first page of Thread #3. It looks light gray in the sun. Here it is:

View attachment 99500

Kapua and Napili,
No link, sorry, but at some point, on some FB page or WS thread, Kim or FTL said that SC's 4 Runner and Charli's were the same color...silver. So much for my razor sharp memory, lol. Pua can probably pinpoint the source.

:sigh: So much work. So little progress lol... Thanks for being awesome sleuthers

Finally got time to read the article for Wednesday.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...cribes-different-Capobianco-alibi.html?nav=10
Was there no court today?

What I find significant from Cass is that he had a plan for Sunday evening he told her about Saturday night and again Sunday at 5 pm, where he set up a thing he was going to do that would be work and keeping him off Skype. The faux story being to work on his friend's truck.

The fake story doesn't matter. What matters is he planned it. He planned something physical and out of touch by phone that would take a block of time. This does not at all sound like a plan to meet Charli and have a talk. For that he could do a cover story of hanging with friends, but instead it's a job using tools that he plans. And afterwards, his hands are a mess, and that fits with the fake story he made up in advance of working on a vehicle. So he knew and laid the groundwork for something where he might show some wear and tear.

No question in my mind he planned violence and murder. I think this should make an impression on the jury. It really does away with the likelihood that they met to talk and things got out of hand, and he lost his temper and hurt her. He planned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap