GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maui News has article up. Mileka Lincoln's testimony.

The more I think about it I don't think SC gave a rats a$$ if he drove with a dead body, a suspended license, drugs, etc...

I think because he doesn't "look" scary or mean and has a nice voice it's hard to picture him for who he really is. People commit crazy stupid murders everyday.

Finally got time to read the article for Wednesday.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...cribes-different-Capobianco-alibi.html?nav=10
Was there no court today?

What I find significant from Cass is that he had a plan for Sunday evening he told her about Saturday night and again Sunday at 5 pm, where he set up a thing he was going to do that would be work and keeping him off Skype. The faux story being to work on his friend's truck.

The fake story doesn't matter. What matters is he planned it. He planned something physical and out of touch by phone that would take a block of time. This does not at all sound like a plan to meet Charli and have a talk. For that he could do a cover story of hanging with friends, but instead it's a job using tools that he plans. And afterwards, his hands are a mess, and that fits with the fake story he made up in advance of working on a vehicle. So he knew and laid the groundwork for something where he might show some wear and tear.

No question in my mind he planned violence and murder. I think this should make an impression on the jury. It really does away with the likelihood that they met to talk and things got out of hand, and he lost his temper and hurt her. He planned it.

I believe it will come out that there was no working on anybody's truck or rides to work on Monday. Lie's to Cassafrass...lie's all around

I believe it will come out that there was no working on anybody's truck or rides to work on Monday. Lie's to Cassafrass...lie's all around
right, certainly no arrangement to work on a truck. Ride to work would only be if he had planned his alibi, not because he actually needed the ride, so it does nothing for him even if it happened, but agree most likely all these stories are made up.

Apo has yet to introduce the "big lie" Steven told for a reason that Apo promised would make it OK that Steven lied early and often. Guess it comes during the defense case portion. Good luck with that tactic.

I think the big lie is going to be they met regarding drugs and he didn't want to get her in "trouble".
Changes nothing. Lots of people meet for drugs that doesn't end in a heinous murder.
If that is the big lie, maybe we'll get a whole new set of his movements.

Doubtful because once you turn off Kalipo the road gets busier. Once past 5 corners you are good till AlohaAina and then busy again and then still having to cross Hana Hwy.

People would hhave remered a doorlesss 4 runner driving down the road

I disagree, very little traffic in the middle of the night, and if it's a moonless night as you know very very dark in Peahi. Add in some typical haiku rain at night and it's hard to distinguish one vehicle from another, and to notice that there's no doors as a vehicle is driving by you. Typically a vehicle is either coming towards you or you are behind it, so you're not seeing the sides .

I agree with your point. The lack of doors would be noticeable to cross traffic at an intersection but not so much from facing or behind. Just FYI, moon that night was approaching the full moon on Friday the 14h, and was in the sky from before sunset until after 3 AM; depending on which night it was. But of course rain can negate the moon.
Are we sure that it wasn't MPD that removed the doors? There was a long discussion here at the ime about how the only pics published were from the police yard and none at the site. I know some parts were removed, but did we ever hear doors?

I still don't think Nala was ever driven to Nahiku. There was no time and no reason to go to Nahiku, it would take unnecessary time and would be added risk of exposure . I think Nala was let out of the on the side of the road to Pee, and left there. And then someone found him wandering on the side of the road and took him to Nahiku. If that person wasn't Mr. Young and he did indeed find him on Monday morning, it's very possible that whoever found Nala figured they would drop him off in a more populated area. That type of dog is highly prized on Maui, Nala looked to be in great condition, healthy, a very nice specimen of a dog . Then Mr Young took him home, and it was only when he realized that it was a dog associated with the missing woman that he brought the dog to the authorities. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but he never called the animal control. Anyone who owns a nice dog like that would surely want someone to call animal control so it could be reunited with its owner . I'm sorry to say but I believe he intended to keep the dog . That's what makes me question if his account of where and when he found the dog is entirely true . Does anyone know if Nala had tags? Was registered?

At 1 o'clock in the morning the Hana police station is not open. He brought that dog to the officers house, and the officer then took the dog to the station ( this I know for a fact ). Mr. Young claims that he was woken up at 1 AM by a neighbor telling him about the dog, says that he drove it to Hana police station (it is a 20 minute drive from the top of Nahiku road to Hana police station), The officer or he called Charli's family, and his testimony is that the family picked the dog up at 1:30, as reported in the Maui Now article. It's probably not intentional, but Mr. Young's timeline is off somehow, because he wouldn't even get into Hana town until almost 1:30, and there's no way that anyone can drive from haiku to Hana and could've gotten there by 1:30. It's an hour and a half if you know the road REALLY well, with no traffic.

This gives Steven a lot more time in the Keanae area.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...ks-about-interview-with-defendant.html?nav=10

Mahalo Lila Fujimoto and Maui News!

Toward the end of the interview, Lincoln asked Capobianco, "What do you think might have happened to Charli? Do you think there's a chance she just got tired of life on Maui and left?" Capobianco replied: "I don't think so, not under these circumstances. She was a very caring person and she loved her dogs, and to have one of her dogs show up in Nahiku and one of her dogs had been locked in her house for a whole day - she wouldn't do that. Above all else, she would not leave her dogs unattended."
Referring to the phrase, "She was a very caring person," Rivera asked: "Did he use the past tense?"
"He did," Lincoln said.
"And that's verbatim?" Rivera asked.
"Yes," she replied.

"I don't want my voice coming out on everyone's TV on this island," he says in the transcript.

After Lincoln concluded her testimony Friday afternoon, Scott's ex-girlfriend Cassandra Kupstas continued testifying.
Kupstas was living in Pennsylvania but was planning to return to Maui to be with Capobianco when Scott disappeared.
When Kupstas learned Capobianco had lied to her about where he was when Scott went missing, she said she sent him a text message saying she hadn't known he had been with Scott that night and even that they had been in communication.
"I was really upset," she said, and sent him a text message "that I deserved better."

In another text message, she said Capobianco had said: "I didn't have any feelings for Charli ever. I didn't have feelings for her when I got her pregnant. She was an easy lay.
"You're the only woman for me Cassie."
The trial is scheduled to resume Tuesday.

I think the big lie is going to be they met regarding drugs and he didn't want to get her in "trouble".
Changes nothing. Lots of people meet for drugs that doesn't end in a heinous murder.
If that is the big lie, maybe we'll get a whole new set of his movements.
Yes, drugs and sex are about the only candidates for a lie that would protect her, and he was so candid about hookups with her that reluctance to talk about sex is not too likely to sell.

Part of the intent might be to to continue ongoing attempt by defense to besmirch her, but the real point would be to say it doesn't matter that his story was poked full of holes and exposed as a lie, because yes it was a lie, but to cover up something other than murder. And still claim she was alive when they parted. And you know how pregnant women love to do drugs and it makes them need to pee by the roadside even more than usual. ;-)

As you say, a new story of his fake movements could be interesting. I just don't see how it gets into evidence without Steven testifying. There's no taped interview, and Apo cannot testify, so what would that leave? A friend or cohort who was supposedly with him? I would love to see Steven take the stand, but Apo is nuts if he allows it.

I agree with your point. The lack of doors would be noticeable to cross traffic at an intersection but not so much from facing or behind. Just FYI, moon that night was approaching the full moon on Friday the 14h, and was in the sky from before sunset until after 3 AM; depending on which night it was. But of course rain can negate the moon.
Are we sure that it wasn't MPD that removed the doors? There was a long discussion here at the ime about how the only pics published were from the police yard and none at the site. I know some parts were removed, but did we ever hear doors?

I also distinctly recall hearing it was the grill and the doors, AND it's possible those doors could have been taken off at the scene just before it was torched. I recall that at some point there was an article that the police had found the doors and the grill at somebody's house, but it was not stated in the article that they were at Steven's house. I think the article would've stated that if that's where they were found. I always thought that he could have had an accomplice to torch her vehicle ... A friend? His cousin? And If he had help, that person could have given him a ride back to his house, and the accomplice could have kept the parts . That also makes sense if he had had an accomplice to help him clean up the scene at Naai'alu Bay. That person who could have helped him torch the vehicle and keep the parts for him, & they would've already known of and played a part in the whole gruesome crime.

I still don't think Nala was ever driven to Nahiku. There was no time and no reason to go to Nahiku, it would take unnecessary time and would be added risk of exposure . I think Nala was let out of the on the side of the road to Pee, and left there. And then someone found him wandering on the side of the road and took him to Nahiku. If that person wasn't Mr. Young and he did indeed find him on Monday morning, it's very possible that whoever found Nala figured they would drop him off in a more populated area. That type of dog is highly prized on Maui, Nala looked to be in great condition, healthy, a very nice specimen of a dog . Then Mr Young took him home, and it was only when he realized that it was a dog associated with the missing woman that he brought the dog to the authorities. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but he never called the animal control. Anyone who owns a nice dog like that would surely want someone to call animal control so it could be reunited with its owner . I'm sorry to say but I believe he intended to keep the dog . That's what makes me question if his account of where and when he found the dog is entirely true . Does anyone know if Nala had tags? Was registered?

At 1 o'clock in the morning the Hana police station is not open. He brought that dog to the officers house, and the officer then took the dog to the station ( this I know for a fact ). Mr. Young claims that he was woken up at 1 AM by a neighbor telling him about the dog, says that he drove it to Hana police station (it is a 20 minute drive from the top of Nahiku road to Hana police station), The officer or he called Charli's family, and his testimony is that the family picked the dog up at 1:30, as reported in the Maui Now article. It's probably not intentional, but Mr. Young's timeline is off somehow, because he wouldn't even get into Hana town until almost 1:30, and there's no way that anyone can drive from haiku to Hana and could've gotten there by 1:30. It's an hour and a half if you know the road REALLY well, with no traffic.

Nala was found between 7:00 - 7:30 AM Monday morning. Mr. Young did not find out it was Charli's dog until late Monday night/early Tuesday morning.

But you are right, and I had noticed, too that the time between when his neighbor woke him up and the time the family picked Nala up seemed off.

That's a really interesting theory, Alohaj. :). Appreciate the local knowledge. You make a convincing case that Young meant to keep Nala. He should indeed have called Humane Society. Especially as microchipping is the way they reunite dogs and owners now, and a finder can't know if there's a chip. Has to be scanned. So anyone trying to do the right thing should immediately get the dog scanned.

I have two reservations about the dog not being found in Nahiku.
1) the consequences of maintaining really important false evidence at trial seems huge to me. I would think that sometime in two years he might confess to the fib in order to avoid perjuring himself in court.
2). There are ways around this, but I recall Kim stated at the time that Nala would not leave a conscious Charli. So being let out to pee I wonder would the dog have been quick to jump in a stranger's truck? Wouldn't the dog feel he should stay where Charli last was?
In the Marketplace story, the dog has been abandoned all night, so at that point it makes a bit more sense to go with a stranger. It is a good theory. The original story only makes sense because of how Steven is about treating dogs well. Apparently it would bother his conscience to hurt Charli's dog, but butchering fetus is acceptable. Smh

So maybe the phone records will tell us if any phone went to Nahiku. What are the towers between Honomanu and Nahiku, do you know?

Nala was found between 7:00 - 7:30 AM Monday morning. Mr. Young did not find out it was Charli's dog until late Monday night/early Tuesday morning.

But you are right, and I had noticed, too that the time between when his neighbor woke him up and the time the family picked Nala up seemed off.

According to the article, his testimony was that he was awoken early Wednesday morning, not Tuesday morning. That's why when I kept hearing that the dog was found Monday morning, I didn't understand, because I knew that the officer was awoken in the middle of the night Tuesday night/wed morning.

That's a really interesting theory, Alohaj. :). Appreciate the local knowledge. You make a convincing case that Young meant to keep Nala. He should indeed have called Humane Society. Especially as microchipping is the way they reunite dogs and owners now, and a finder can't know if there's a chip. Has to be scanned. So anyone trying to do the right thing should immediately get the dog scanned.

I have two reservations about the dog not being found in Nahiku.
1) the consequences of maintaining really important false evidence at trial seems huge to me. I would think that sometime in two years he might confess to the fib in order to avoid perjuring himself in court.
2). There are ways around this, but I recall Kim stated at the time that Nala would not leave a conscious Charli. So being let out to pee I wonder would the dog have been quick to jump in a stranger's truck? Wouldn't the dog feel he should stay where Charli last was?
In the Marketplace story, the dog has been abandoned all night, so at that point it makes a bit more sense to go with a stranger. It is a good theory. The original story only makes sense because of how Steven is about treating dogs well. Apparently it would bother his conscience to hurt Charli's dog, but butchering fetus is acceptable. Smh

So maybe the phone records will tell us if any phone went to Nahiku. What are the towers between Honomanu and Nahiku, do you know?

Sometimes, self-preservation is very strong. This is a man who kept someone else's dog for two days . As I said, it is very possible that he actually did find the dog in Nahiku Monday morning. We do know that the dog was said to have not shown any dirt or wear, and yet that additional two hours it would take to bring the dog to Nahiku and return makes no sense. If Steven was going to take the time to bring the dog somewhere, wouldn't it make more sense to bring him up to her house? Or at least somewhere in that area ? That would take a lot less time, and be much kinder to the dog, since we know he loves dogs . He also could have kept the dog in the vehicle that he used, whether it was his or hers, while committing the crime, & after she was already dead and possibly disposed of, as he's Leaving the Keanae area he leaves the dog off somewhere near Naai'ula Bay. I'm sure Nala is a fine dog as everyone says, but if the dog was hiding under a vendor table and then going out to traffic and running back that morning, as Mr. Young said he was in testimony, that dog was obviously spooked. That does not sound like a dog that is in a confident, calm Condition. Perhaps he was spooked wherever he was dropped off also? Traumatized? Just ruminating on possibilities that might make more sense.

I am getting confused, lol. At various times, both the news media and people involved have stated the wrong days.

Nala was found Monday morning, and the news of him being found was definitely Tuesday night, so Young had him a day and a half (or more if fibbing).

As a timeline test, remember Kim called the police late Monday night, and she called the news stations the next day out of frustration. The first coverage of missing Charli on news begins Tuesday night, with the search of Hana Highway areas in full progress Tuesday day. Young's friend could not have known about the missing woman and seen a pic of her dog until Tuesday.

I don't recall seeing that the dog had been abandoned all night, was that posted somewhere or it's a theory? Again if the dog is out alone all night, it rains almost every night in Hana, and even more so in Nahiku, Nahiku gets even more rain than Hana and it's often raining in Nahiku when it is not raining in Hana... So the significance of the dog being totally clean and not muddy, if true, is a very important fact.

Sometimes, self-preservation is very strong. This is a man who kept someone else's dog for two days . As I said, it is very possible that he actually did find the dog in Nahiku Monday morning. We do know that the dog was said to have not shown any dirt or wear, and yet that additional two hours it would take to bring the dog to Nahiku and return makes no sense. If Steven was going to take the time to bring the dog somewhere, wouldn't it make more sense to bring him up to her house? Or at least somewhere in that area ? That would take a lot less time, and be much kinder to the dog, since we know he loves dogs . He also could have kept the dog in the vehicle that he used, whether it was his or hers, while committing the crime, & after she was already dead and possibly disposed of, as he's Leaving the Keanae area he leaves the dog off somewhere near Naai'ula Bay. I'm sure Nala is a fine dog as everyone says, but if the dog was hiding under a vendor table and then going out to traffic and running back that morning, as Mr. Young said he was in testimony, that dog was obviously spooked. That does not sound like a dog that is in a confident, calm Condition. Perhaps he was spooked wherever he was dropped off also? Traumatized? Just ruminating on possibilities that might make more sense.
More great points. Noted, the dog was anxious. Maybe just separation anxiety, maybe witnessed harm to Charli. The Scotts described Nala as dopey back then, said Zoe was the smarter and more sensitive of the two. Nala was relatively new to Charli and not well trained. I remember reading a comment from Steven that he disapproved of Nala's behavior and thought Charli wasn't training him well.

I agree about self-preservation. It's just way more pilikia in the end if you get caught after committing perjury on the stand. But I do like your theory.

I don't quite get the two hours extra. From Honomanu to Nahiku is an hour?
I guess my theory has been that Nala got dropped off on the same trip out there that resulted in murder, and they never went to Makawao, or Nala would have been dropped off. We just don't know at which point the harm to Charli began, is what makes theorizing difficult.

I am getting confused, lol. At various times, both the news media and people involved have stated the wrong days.

Nala was found Monday morning, and the news of him being found was definitely Tuesday night, so Young had him a day and a half (or more if fibbing).

As a timeline test, remember Kim called the police late Monday night, and she called the news stations the next day out of frustration. The first coverage of missing Charli on news begins Tuesday night, with the search of Hana Highway areas in full progress Tuesday day. Young's friend could not have known about the missing woman and seen a pic of her dog until Tuesday.

Yes. My source has always told me that the dog was brought to the officers house in the middle of the night Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, so when I kept hearing that the dog was found on Monday morning I did not understand . Now, with Mr. Young testifying that he kept the dog all of Monday and all of Tuesday, that makes perfect sense. The media reporting that she was missing would not have been on the news Monday night, so it would've had to be Tuesday night that it was publicized, and Wednesday morning 1am for him to turn in the dog makes sense.

This is a very small community, and unfortunately there's a lot of drug use, and perhaps a fair amount of people that would not want to come forward with information that they didn't feel was crucial and would leave them open to scrutiny. For that reason, I don't find it all that unlikely someone could have found the dog along Hana highway and dropped it off in Nahiku and not come forward. Heck, there's a fair amount of people off the grid out there too, & they probably don't even have TV or read newspapers and didn't even know what was going on. It could also have been a tourist, who obviously couldn't take a dog home but feeling bad for seeing it stranded out in the middle of nowhere, brings it to where someone could find it.

just my opinion of course, and possible scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member