GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More great points. Noted, the dog was anxious. Maybe just separation anxiety, maybe witnessed harm to Charli. The Scotts described Nala as dopey back then, said Zoe was the smarter and more sensitive of the two. Nala was relatively new to Charli and not well trained. I remember reading a comment from Steven that he disapproved of Nala's behavior and thought Charli wasn't training him well.

I agree about self-preservation. It's just way more pilikia in the end if you get caught after committing perjury on the stand. But I do like your theory.

I don't quite get the two hours extra. From Honomanu to Nahiku is an hour?
I guess my theory has been that Nala got dropped off on the same trip out there that resulted in murder, and they never went to Makawao, or Nala would have been dropped off. We just don't know at which point the harm to Charli began, is what makes theorizing difficult.

Yes Hanamanu to Nahiku is maybe 45 mins, Hana is about an hour or so, so round-trip that's an extra two hours. I don't see him going around the back way, that takes a LOT longer and there's no way he would've been back at midnight in Haiku.

I don't recall seeing that the dog had been abandoned all night, was that posted somewhere or it's a theory? Again if the dog is out alone all night, it rains almost every night in Hana, and even more so in Nahiku, Nahiku gets even more rain than Hana and it's often raining in Nahiku when it is not raining in Hana... So the significance of the dog being totally clean and not muddy, if true, is a very important fact.
I understand about the rain. I live in the same climate and exposure. By abandoned, I meant that in the account where Nala was found at the Marketplace, his whereabouts were unaccounted for during the night. You are right that "abandoned" is not proven and not a good word choice. I appreciate you pointing that out.

I have heard it stated that Nala's paws had no signs of the wear of a long trek, and certainly even to travel up the Nua'ailua Riad to the highway would make the paws muddy. I guess I had an image of the dog taking cover under some protection in the marketplace and not moving from there, possibly sleeping, until activity began in the morning. Did they have any other witnesses that the dog was hanging around?

I do see what you are saying about how it could be Young had Nala all night and the Monday morning was a lie. It's very possible. I wonder how close he might live to Charli's friends in Nahiku as well.

I think the big lie is going to be they met regarding drugs and he didn't want to get her in "trouble".
Changes nothing. Lots of people meet for drugs that doesn't end in a heinous murder.
If that is the big lie, maybe we'll get a whole new set of his movements.

I suspect that is much closer to the truth than other speculations, especially that they met to discuss baby names, etc. I don't think Charli was buying or using the drugs, either. I have my own idea about the reasons why, but rest assured, Steven didn't tell "the big lie" to protect Charli.

http://mauinow.com/2016/07/29/capobianco-murder-trial-man-who-found-charlis-dog-testifies/

There are 3 pieces of testimony in this article. The first is Kim Scott who said that she let the defendant take the dog Tuesday, which cannot possibly be correct, since they didn't retrieve Nala until the wee hours of Wednesday morning. Albert Young said his neighbor told him at 1 AM Wednesday morning, and Adam and Fiona picked up the dog at 1:30 AM, which also cannot be right, unless Adam and Fiona were in Hana at the time.

This is either poor reporting or mixed-up witnesses.

Wasn't the other dog, Zoey, given briefly to SC, not Nala?

Yes Hanamanu to Nahiku is maybe 45 mins, Hana is about an hour or so, so round-trip that's an extra two hours. I don't see him going around the back way, that takes a LOT longer and there's no way he would've been back at midnight in Haiku.
That is a long additional trip. It is a lot to drive for no good reason, as you said. In the beginning of this, some here viewed Nahiku as a false breadcrumb, to divert focus from other areas, which then might be a rationale for the drive.
But yeah, maybe Nala really did get let out somewhere else, and Young picked him up and made up a lie. That would explain why Steven had absolutely no account ready to explain when Mileka interviewed him. Maybe he was as clueless as the rest of us. The Nahiku thing totally screwed up the serial killer theory he seemed to be laying ground for. Maybe he left Nala near Ulalena or Twin Falls even.

I suspect that is much closer to the truth than other speculations, especially that they met to discuss baby names, etc. I don't think Charli was buying or using the drugs, either. I have my own idea about the reasons why, but rest assured, Steven didn't tell "the big lie" to protect Charli.

There's already been a lot of testimony indicating that SC didn't care about Charli, so it's going to be a very hard sell to convince a jury that he lied to protect her. As Kimberlyn Scott said, he never did anything for her. IMHO. :cow:

So maybe the phone records will tell us if any phone went to Nahiku. What are the towers between Honomanu and Nahiku, do you know?[/QUOTE

I don't know about how phone towers or pings work, but i know there is no service at all between Hanamanu and Nahiku, EXCEPT for about a 1 mile stretch in Keanae. I know for sure that that service starts to work right around the Boy Scout camp. I've used my phone there while I was staying at the camp for the weekend . Phone service doesn't start again after Keanae until Hana school, which is a good 15 minutes after Nahiku and five minutes before Hana Town. I don't know how the pings work with the phone service, but her ping with the life 360 app may use satellite and that is the reason it was more specific as to location, even though there is no phone service there. I've got to say, I plan to use that life 360 app with my family. I really believe that if it weren't for that app, they would not have known where to specifically look, those remains would not have been found, and he would not be on trial right now!

True that. So the confusion you're having about the testimony is that Zoey went with Steven on Tuesday, not Nala. Zoey who had been left alone at Charli's, needed caring for. And I believe it was Zoey that was related to Chunk, and Steve had a connection to her, whereas he didn't think much of Nala.

That is a long additional trip. It is a lot to drive for no good reason, as you said. In the beginning of this, some here viewed Nahiku as a false breadcrumb, to divert focus from other areas, which then might be a rationale for the drive.
But yeah, maybe Nala really did get let out somewhere else, and Young picked him up and made up a lie. That would explain why Steven had absolutely no account ready to explain when Mileka interviewed him. Maybe he was as clueless as the rest of us. The Nahiku thing totally screwed up the serial killer theory he seemed to be laying ground for. Maybe he left Nala near Ulalena or Twin Falls even.

yes, anywhere in that area could be possible too, and would have taken the dog further from the scene. In addition, Twin Falls would actually be perfect, because that's where he claimed to have last seen her headlights. Perhaps, he could speculate, she had let the dog out to pee? And that would have supported his statement that he saw her headlights as far as Twin Falls . Really good hypotheses !!

True that. So the confusion you're having about the testimony is that Zoey went with Steven, not Nala.

AH, that's right! OK that clears up part 1. But could Fiona and Adam make it to Nahiku in 30 minutes from Haiku?

True that. So the confusion you're having about the testimony is that Zoey went with Steven on Tuesday, not Nala. Zoey who had been left alone at Charli's, needed caring for. And I believe it was Zoey that was related to Chunk, and Steve had a connection to her, whereas he didn't think much of Nala.

Abby, good point. Was there any testimony anywhere as to if Charli had dogs with her on Sunday at her sisters house when she left? both dogs? Nala only?, No dogs at all?

Abby, good point. Was there any testimony anywhere as to if Charli had dogs with her on Sunday at her sisters house when she left? both dogs? Nala only?, No dogs at all?

Disregard that "Abby", I'm doing talk to text. Not too reliable. Oops, should've reviewed before I sent it LOL

So maybe the phone records will tell us if any phone went to Nahiku. What are the towers between Honomanu and Nahiku, do you know?[/QUOTE

I don't know about how phone towers or pings work, but i know there is no service at all between Hanamanu and Nahiku, EXCEPT for about a 1 mile stretch in Keanae. I know for sure that that service starts to work right around the Boy Scout camp. I've used my phone there while I was staying at the camp for the weekend . Phone service doesn't start again after Keanae until Hana school, which is a good 15 minutes after Nahiku and five minutes before Hana Town. I don't know how the pings work with the phone service, but her ping with the life 360 app may use satellite and that is the reason it was more specific as to location, even though there is no phone service there. I've got to say, I plan to use that life 360 app with my family. I really believe that if it weren't for that app, they would not have known where to specifically look, those remains would not have been found, and he would not be on trial right now!
Thanks for that! Hmm, I guess Keanae would be only a maybe ping then, and Hana would be too far.
Yes, the 360 app has to be GPS satellite based.

What I understand of the ping is that the phone sends and receives through different towers as it moves along a route. When it has left the zone of one tower, it pings the next tower that it finds and switched over the service, and there are records with the calls as to which towers were used. But the phone pings the tower for other reasons than making a call, as in making a switch to coverage source as it travels.

Abby here, lol.
Charli only had Nala at the party. The family always knew she had been with Nala. Yes, one or more of the sisters confirmed Nala was with Charli when she said goodby, but I don't remember which one. Probably Phaedra, because I didn't get to see Brooke testify, and Fiona said goodbye to her earlier.

Abby here, lol.
Charli only had Nala at the party. The family always knew she had been with Nala. Yes, one or more of the sisters confirmed Nala was with Charli when she said goodby, but I don't remember which one. Probably Phaedra, because I didn't get to see Brooke testify, and Fiona said goodbye to her earlier.[/QUOTE

SC wasn't possibly too happy that she even had Nala with her, Since he wasn't too fond of him and it certainly added more logistics for him

Well I appreciate all the great theories, many of you have very sharp minds and great attention to detail ! I'll be back on island in a week and should be able to make some court days, and will certainly pass along any interesting testimony.

Look forward to hearing your court observations, alohaj, and appreciate all your sharp posts.

I tried to find something on the Forerunner, and found this article that says the grille was found at a house in Haiku, along with possibly other parts of the 4Runner, not stated what.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/24885045/significant-developments-in-charli-scott-case

I never understood, and the police never explained, how people could innocently have the parts. If their story was that Steven had given them the parts, I think the police would have arrested him much sooner, with that sort of direct link testimony. So what was it, the car parts fairy dropped the parts on the doorstep?

If we could just discuss the iPhone for a bit. We've owned a few versions in our home and recently unintentionally ruined a 6s taking it into the ocean. Despite what Apple claims, the phone is not water resistant. The iPhone 6 series is very different from the 4 and 5 series. When the 6s died in the ocean, all incoming calls immediately went to voicemail. No rings on the caller's end whatsoever. When the 5s was activated as a backup phone, despite being out of commission for four months and devoid of any battery life, once the line was switched, all incoming calls received 4 rings and then a voicemail. The same for our iPhone 4 which was last used in January 2016. Our service is Sprint.

I believe it has to do with the sim cards and LTE vs 4G/3G service provided to the newer iPhones. If you're still following along and wondering why Charli's phone continued to ring on the caller's end yet showed a final ping at Paraquats, then it may have everything to do with her service provider and her iPhone's compatibility to reach a secondary network via 3G. Even void of any battery, the iPhone 4's phone LINE may continue to ring and receive voicemails until full. The iPhone 6 series definitely does not do this.

Just something I noticed...

I forgot to add, so in the event that Charli's phone was wet or crushed, the app showed a last ping at 10:56pm. That's when the phone sent out it's final signal, regardless of whether she "had service or not". However, callers would hear her line ringing if they made attempts to call her. I hope this made sense.

Similar to the geotagging that Snapchat and the Pokemon Go apps use, I don't necessarily need service to reach out and use them. They find us. Btw, I have Sprint service pretty much all the way to Hana whereas my husband's Tmobile quit working at Huelo. Lol.

It was said that SC didn't like Nala or is that opinion/speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech