GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think that it is more likely that Charli did not go willingly on a long drive, but i wouldn't rule it out. I believe it was Kim who said that Charli loved SC, there wasn't anyone else, and hadn't been anyone else for a long time. I'm thinking that SC told her what he told the police - that he was warming up to the idea of having a child. There's an element of truth in his lies. She wouldn't have told her family how often she and SC were in touch, but her phone records will show the truth.

We've heard testimony about the cell tower activity, but the call details were not discussed. I think there is more phone testimony to come. Who called Charli on the 7th, 8th, and 9th? Who did Charli call? That's important information.

Detective: "What was she wearing that night?"

SC: "I think it was something black. Some form of black dress with very thin straps - but not quite spaghetti straps. And then she had a jacket on over that. But I don't really remember, I wasn't staring at her while we were driving. I tend to keep my eyes on the road even if I'm the passenger."

Detective: "And the bottom? Was she wearing slacks or...?"

SC: "I didn't notice. I think it was either a dress that continued down, or a skirt of some kind."

So I think the gray hoodie jacket found at Nua'ailua with Charli's other clothes may have been the jacket Steven is referencing her wearing that night.

The black dress with jacket is what Taylor Farner was wearing the night that SC's other truck really got stuck in September. Charli was wearing a blue polka dot tank top and a black skirt, as we know. SC was trying to play the police. He knew exactly what she was wearing.

Taylor's testimony regarding the white truck incident in October (not September as I posted above) and the black dress she was wearing, according to Maui News:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...r-irritated--hours-after-Scott-last-seen.html

She said she was with Capobianco when his truck stalled in East Maui in October 2013.
That day, she said she had received a text message from Capobianco saying "it was his birthday, he wanted to hang out with me for his birthday and if I could wear something sexy."
She said she was wearing a black dress when he picked her up in his white truck and they drove toward Hana at night. They were on Hana Highway between Honomanu Bay and Nahiku when "we got stuck," Farner said.
"His truck, I don't remember if it broke down, but it stopped working for some reason," she said.

Taylor's testimony regarding the white truck incident in October (not September as I posted above) and the black dress she was wearing, according to Maui News:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...r-irritated--hours-after-Scott-last-seen.html

She said she was with Capobianco when his truck stalled in East Maui in October 2013.
That day, she said she had received a text message from Capobianco saying "it was his birthday, he wanted to hang out with me for his birthday and if I could wear something sexy."
She said she was wearing a black dress when he picked her up in his white truck and they drove toward Hana at night. They were on Hana Highway between Honomanu Bay and Nahiku when "we got stuck," Farner said.
"His truck, I don't remember if it broke down, but it stopped working for some reason," she said.

Wonder if SC truck even had a problem when he was with Taylor or that was SC lying to have her there with him all night.
Anyway he scoped out that area and had prior thoughts about vehicles breaking down there.

Interesting idea, Moxie.
I am inclined to a not likely though. There were jeans or pants found with the hoodie, as if that was a discarded set of clothes. And more importantly, Phaedra was asked about those items when interviewed, whether those were Charli's clothes too, and she said no.
None of the family have said she was wearing a jacket that night, that I can recall, only SC said maybe.

Thank you. I'm wondering how close the hoodie & jeans were to each other at the crime scene? Also, it's possible that Charli had recently acquired or borrowed the hoodie jacket from someone, so that her sister wouldn't have seen it before.

Kapua, I want to thank you for alerting me to the Earls testimony on the masking tape. I had missed that. I did watch Earls, I thought, but obviously I missed a segment.

That was me that was rambling on about the tape rolls & Earls' testimony. But easy mistake. ;-)

Thanks, Kapua.
Taylor Farner doesn't mention wearing a jacket though in that snippet.
Yet in Steven's interview segment that I posted, he specifically mentioned Charli wearing a jacket without even being asked whether she was wearing one or not.

I don't think that Steven was just playing with the cops by mentioning a black dress. His life was on the line, and her family could validate what he was saying about her outfit. If he got it slightly conflated w/ the outfit Taylor Farner wore, then it was likely only because he was put on the spot and got the two events mixed up in his mind. Note that his description of Charli's black dress/skirt w/ straps DOES match what Charli wore that night in a general sense, and he was trying to align his description with his official story: that he'd only seen her inside the truck and under cover of darkess. His description of her clothes had to match that reality, thus his very general description: black dress or skirt with straps (her navy top would appear black in darkness, it did have straps, and she was indeed wearing a black skirt)...he's not sure about shoes...and he stated - apropos of nothing - that she wore a jacket.

Finally, because Charli was wearing a tank-top on a cool winter night, it would have been very natural for her to have a jacket or covering of some type on. Yet according to Taylor Farner, hours later at 1 or 2 in the morning when it was colder than when he'd started his evening, Steven was simply wearing a dark T-shirt. So he might not have been the type to cover up with a hoodie or jacket on a winter night.
(But if he WAS wearing the jacket earlier in the night, I suggest that it was to conceal a weapon inside it.)

I don't think the issue of Charli wearing a jacket is a black & white issue, there are valid arguments both for it & against it.

Live Stream video was just on.
They're doing jury questions for witnesses today. They went to recess because the witness's plane doesn't land until 9:45 AM Hawaii time.

Charli3.jpg
Thank you. I'm wondering how close the hoodie & jeans were to each other at the crime scene? Also, it's possible that Charli had recently acquired or borrowed the hoodie jacket from someone, so that her sister wouldn't have seen it before.

That was me that was rambling on about the tape rolls & Earls' testimony. But easy mistake. ;-)

Thanks, Kapua.
Taylor Farner doesn't mention wearing a jacket though in that snippet.
Yet in Steven's interview segment that I posted, he specifically mentioned Charli wearing a jacket without even being asked whether she was wearing one or not.

I don't think that Steven was just playing with the cops by mentioning a black dress. His life was on the line, and her family could validate what he was saying about her outfit. If he got it slightly conflated w/ the outfit Taylor Farner wore, then it was likely only because he was put on the spot and got the two events mixed up in his mind. Note that his description of Charli's black dress/skirt w/ straps DOES match what Charli wore that night in a general sense, and he was trying to align his description with his official story: that he'd only seen her inside the truck and under cover of darkess. His description of her clothes had to match that reality, thus his very general description: black dress or skirt with straps (her navy top would appear black in darkness, it did have straps, and she was indeed wearing a black skirt)...he's not sure about shoes...and he stated - apropos of nothing - that she wore a jacket.

Finally, because Charli was wearing a tank-top on a cool winter night, it would have been very natural for her to have a jacket or covering of some type on. Yet according to Taylor Farner, hours later at 1 or 2 in the morning when it was colder than when he'd started his evening, Steven was simply wearing a dark T-shirt. So he might not have been the type to cover up with a hoodie or jacket on a winter night.
(But if he WAS wearing the jacket earlier in the night, I suggest that it was to conceal a weapon inside it.)

I don't think the issue of Charli wearing a jacket is a black & white issue, there are valid arguments both for it & against it.

Listen to this interview starting at 9:30 and then tell me if you still think he is accurately describing Charli's attire on the night of Feb. 9.
[video=youtube;niqy3piL8mk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqy3piL8mk&index=9&list=PLR2JAGZzf3U2CiHThmPc3gSNzvRX1LLZL[/video]

You are entitled to your opinion one way or another, but the top she was wearing looks medium blue, not navy to me. And Charli's skirt was long if I recall correctly.

Thank you, Kapua. I've never owned a pitbull, and I used to share the misconception that they were all aggressive dogs, but nowadays I'm constantly around them and can affirm that if they're not raised by jerks who use them for fighting or to be aggressive watchdogs, they are sweet and lovable, just like most other dogs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

February winters on Maui are not "cool winter nights" so much as they are mild and rainy. In the pic Pua posted of Charli at Brooke's that fateful February night, Charli is comfortable in a tank top in the house. Pregnant women tend to run a little on the hot side anyway. ;) After midnight, when the Earth has cooled is when it gets chilly in east Maui and SC being a lover of Keanae and thereabouts, would know that if he's out late at night, he might want a sweatshirt.

Most importantly, a hoodie is the perfect disquise for crime. It hides an assailant's face, girth (unless he's a big one) and visible markings (scars, tats, watches).

View attachment 101884

Listen to this interview starting at 9:30 and then tell me if you still think he is accurately describing Charli's attire on the night of Feb. 9.

You are entitled to your opinion one way or another, but the top she was wearing looks medium blue, not navy to me. And Charli's skirt was long if I recall correctly.

Accurately describing it? No. And he wasn't trying to be. He was trying to give the description of someone whose only visual memory of what she wore was from sitting beside her in the truck in the dark of night. That's why he was vague in his descriptions, but was correct in a general way.

And yes, I think it's navy blue. Google "navy blue" and then look at the pic of Charli's shirt.

February winters on Maui are not "cool winter nights" so much as they are mild and rainy. In the pic Pua posted of Charli at Brooke's that fateful February night, Charli is comfortable in a tank top in the house. Pregnant women tend to run a little on the hot side anyway. ;) After midnight, when the Earth has cooled is when it gets chilly in east Maui and SC being a lover of Keanae and thereabouts, would know that if he's out late at night, he might want a sweatshirt.

Most importantly, a hoodie is the perfect disquise for crime. It hides an assailant's face, girth (unless he's a big one) and visible markings (scars, tats, watches).

I've lived in Haiku (and all over the island), and in my own experience yes it can be cool at night in winter in Haiku. But these things are subjective, just like trying to distinguish different shades of blue.

February winters on Maui are not "cool winter nights" so much as they are mild and rainy. I

According to weather.com, in Haiku, HI the coldest month of the year is February with average high temps of 73 F and average low of 59 F.
I would consider that quite cool when the nights are in the 60s and 50s. But, again, what people perceive as "cool" is very subjective.

And I just want to make clear that I am not arguing that the hoodie jacket belonged to Charli. I'm saying that there is some evidence that she was wearing a jacket that night, so let's not discount the possibility that the found jacket could have been hers.

"Da insect guy" is up. :giggle:

(Dr. Madison Lee Goff, the forensic entomologist)

Dr. Goff gave a short presentation on the life cycle of the fly. He said that from the most mature specimen, he could determine approximately when the eggs were laid.

Now he's talking about each of the specimens collected. There were two types of flies and a beetle.

Our next course was how experts determine the number of hours it takes for fly larvae to reach each of their 3 stages (instars). Temperature determines the rate of development given an adequate food source. They use a technique called Accumulated Degree Hours (ADH).

There were two egg-laying events. The first one occurred on Feb. 10 at a minimum of 1 PM through 7 PM on Feb. 10.

The second egg-laying event occurred at a minimum of 6 AM Feb. 12.

Flies are not active at night.

Dr. Goff broke this down very well for the jury. Now he is giving examples from his previous work.

The most mature maggots were from the green blanket. The least mature were from the soil indentation.

I just listened to some of the clip of SC again that Kapua posted up above. Knowing his truck was never stuck out there and he never saw her lights in his rearview and listening to him tell lie after lie for 15min straight. I hope they play it again for the jury. There is no reason someone can do that when everyone is trying to find a missing person.

According to weather.com, in Haiku, HI the coldest month of the year is February with average high temps of 73 F and average low of 59 F.
I would consider that quite cool when the nights are in the 60s and 50s. But, again, what people perceive as "cool" is very subjective.

And I just want to make clear that I am not arguing that the hoodie jacket belonged to Charli. I'm saying that there is some evidence that she was wearing a jacket that night, so let's not discount the possibility that the found jacket could have been hers.

Girl, if you've lived in Haiku or anywhere on Maui, then you know a weather report is inaccurate. Haiku is given a very broad stroke because they (weather stations) literally paint it from Maliko Gulch to Nahiku. Homes listed for sale in Nahiku are given the 96708 zip code destination, the same as Huelo and Haiku town. Not trying to get on your nerves with the weather thing but you said it was a cool winter night on February 9, 2014 when some of us remember it as otherwise. <3

Charli's tank looks navy blue to me with polka dots.

I just listened to some of the clip of SC again that Kapua posted up above. Knowing his truck was never stuck out there and he never saw her lights in his rearview and listening to him tell lie after lie for 15min straight. I hope they play it again for the jury. There is no reason someone can do that when everyone is trying to find a missing person.

^^^ yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member