GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I got from the article is proof she was murdered the night of Sunday February 9 and body was left out overnight. Flies laid eggs Monday between 1 to 7 pm and body was wrapped in the blanket close to that time. It takes two and half days for more flies to work their way through wrapping to lay eggs and they did. It doesn't mean body was unwrapped at two and a half days.

So we know she was murdered Sunday night and Rivera thinks between 9-11 pm. SC went back and wrapped her body in blanket Monday afternoon or night. Obviously he went back a third time and unwrapped and hid body and that third time had to be after second egg laying event "by 6 am Wed. Feb 12." So he could even done it those early morning hours Wednesday before work.

So he murdered her Sunday night. Then he went back Monday night and wrapped the body. Then went back as early as early Wednesday morning or as late as Wednesday night or Thursday morning and hid the body. Makes me mad MPD didn't search the area of the phone ping before that. That Phaedra had to search there Thursday evening and MPD still hadn't searched there even though they had plenty evidence by then suspecting foul play.

"Obviously he went back a third time and unwrapped and hid body and that third time had to be after second egg laying event "by 6 am Wed. Feb 12." So he could even done it those early morning hours Wednesday before work."

Not really though. As I was saying (I know, superlong post), Goff said (and I agree fwiw) that flies go into rest mode at night. They don't start up until light (and warmth) increase. And the sun came up Wed. AFTER the 6 AM cutoff by almost an hour, even if flies start the moment the sun peeks over the horizon, which they don't. I watch the sunrise over the ocean here almost every day, and there's a good stretch after the actual moment of sunrise to when it feels like daytime and the creatures are buzzing around.

The previous time before that the flies were active was Tuesday afternoon--sunset.
But Tuesday after midnight that I said he would have gone back is the same as early hours Wednesday, so we're saying the same thing there in different ways. Where we are differing is I'm saying the second fly access had to start while he was out there on the Tuesday afternoon. And we know he was there then. It doesn't mean he had to get hot and heavy with what he was doing then, which would have been quite unsafe.

I'm impressed by and appreciate this tremendous work you guys!

What I don't get is how he got her to those relatively hidden and hard-to-get-to spots at Paraquats.

If she was hit in her car (The blunt force to the right jaw), finishing at the place where the evidence & remains were found, then how did he move her down there from her car?

If he got her to go there (committing all the unspeakable things there where the evidence was found) how did he get her to go? She'd have had to walk through difficult terrain under her own steam, in that case, wouldn't she?

If SC had already started to hit Charli she might have been so frightened that she walked with him just so he would stop attacking her. She would have been thinking about her baby and wanted to protect him. Maybe she didn't think he would actually go as far as to kill them.

Could SC have been disturbed at some point when he was dismembering Charli's body and got spooked? He may have heard something and decided to just get away with as much as he could carry - forgetting to move the other items (blanket, tape etc). He may have been too worried about being caught to risk going back later to remove these items.

Self preservation is a powerful thing. It makes people do unspeakable things. We are all finding this difficult and disturbing, but for SC it was a case of protecting himself. He cares so much about his own life that he had no problem doing such terrible things to Charli's body.

:moo:

The house needs updating for sure, but I thought the woodwork inside the main house was gorgeous & high quality. The detached ohana was kind of random, but it has a separate driveway - the monthly rent check is your mortgage payment right there! There are a lot of weird, "off the grid" type properties in Haiku/Huelo area, but the Kalipo property looked pretty decent to me (had normal kitchen & bathrooms at least), but definitely needs updating.

Mahogany for the most part. Nice curves. Real Boaty. It contrasted with the tongue and groove exterior let along the choppiness of the additions. Koa Paneling is sweet. Perfect for him albeit the rainy side of Haiku(Anything east of Kapakalua). Run his dog...get dirty...Have a rave party in the yard. Too bad he couldn't appreciate how good he had it. Or maybe he could and he saw Charli trying to destroy it.

I'm impressed by and appreciate this tremendous work you guys!

What I don't get is how he got her to those relatively hidden and hard-to-get-to spots at Paraquats.

If she was hit in her car (The blunt force to the right jaw), finishing at the place where the evidence & remains were found, then how did he move her down there from her car?

If he got her to go there (committing all the unspeakable things there where the evidence was found) how did he get her to go? She'd have had to walk through difficult terrain under her own steam, in that case, wouldn't she?
Excellent questions, Napili. I have no answer for how he got her to that specific spot, but as we know, her weight with pregnancy was a bit over his, her height almost as tall. He said he was 150 in that interview of his where he said what she was wearing. Very hard for a person to move mass equal to one's own, without some leverage. And he had no muscles to speak of.

Edited after a few thoughts:
I can't imagine her going willingly into that ungodly spot. There's nothing romantic about it ...
But a person will often walk at gunpoint, or knife point, under threat. I read something Brooke said, which I cannot remember verbatim, about how Charli would submit to something she otherwise would not, to protect her baby. Brooke was talking about kidnaping, and why Charli would not jump out of a moving car, IIRC, that she would harm herself to escape but not her baby.

Just a thought.

This is a good argument for her not getting attacked in the car with that extreme blow, or stabbed there either.

If SC had already started to hit Charli she might have been so frightened that she walked with him just so he would stop attacking her. She would have been thinking about her baby and wanted to protect him. Maybe she didn't think he would actually go as far as to kill them.

Could SC have been disturbed at some point when he was dismembering Charli's body and got spooked? He may have heard something and decided to just get away with as much as he could carry - forgetting to move the other items (blanket, tape etc). He may have been too worried about being caught to risk going back later to remove these items.

Self preservation is a powerful thing. It makes people do unspeakable things. We are all finding this difficult and disturbing, but for SC it was a case of protecting himself. He cares so much about his own life that he had no problem doing such terrible things to Charli's body.

:moo:
Maisie, my apologies for not reading your post before I wrote much the same thing. Sometimes I reply in order to get the thought out of my head before I get distracted by the next post.

Really good thoughts. I think any one who is being threatened and walks holds on to the hope that "he" won't really carry it out, or some miracle will happen. Prolong it and you live that much longer. But then going into more and more remote terrain sadly allows him to get her where he wants her.

I wonder about hitting her. We don't know about so much. I don't think he repeatedly punched her face, or she would have had multiple fractures. I got the sense from the witness that was a single violent blow, possibly with a blunt instrument. But so much of her was not recovered, that much more could have occurred to other parts of her, sad to say.

Ed: I have always thought there was a decent chance he got spooked by fishermen or hunters. I have read that people sometimes camp there to fish and I know that local fishermen like to start even before dawn. OTOH, no one so far has mentioned any sign of human presence down that road during the whole period of time, and no one ever came forward. Or he could have been spooked by an irate feral pig ...

"

The previous time before that the flies were active was Tuesday afternoon--sunset.
But Tuesday after midnight that I said he would have gone back is the same as early hours Wednesday, so we're saying the same thing there in different ways. Where we are differing is I'm saying the second fly access had to start while he was out there on the Tuesday afternoon. And we know he was there then. It doesn't mean he had to get hot and heavy with what he was doing then, which would have been quite unsafe.

Okay I understand what you're saying. And I forgot about the phone records.

Finally making it through the maggot testimony, which I agree is from a good solid informative witness. Still had a couple of gagging moments. I cannot believe that Nardi called Charli "the carcass." Seriously? More than once.

I'm learning that I probably drew conclusions from the article alone that don't allow for the more complex testimony.
Interesting observations:

The gray sweatshirt had the newest maggots on it, apparently eggs laid on the Wednesday AM. (This makes me think he wore it while finishing the job.)

The blanket had the oldest, and the bra.

He gave examples where blowflies don't get through barriers like blankets quickly, more like two days or not at all, even with wrappings that are just a cover and not sealed. so she likely was unwrapped for the second cycle to start.

The little hollow in the ground where the "maggot mass" was found also had younger ones. They would be there swirling around because the food source had been taken away, but maybe fluids and other smells of decomp remained, so they didn't go far. This is the proximate area where the cadaver dog alerted, is it not?

Moxie asked me about the gray material in the Charli pic that looks cropped. Yes, great catch -- I cropped the pic, which was of Phaedra (I think) and Charli, just out of not wanting to put her picture up without her permission. Phaedra is wearing a gray long-sleeved top as a layer over another gray top. It doesn't look like a sweatshirt material. It has a lot of a folds like it is drapier fabric, more dressy for the party. And she would have recognized her own jacket.

Maisie, my apologies for not reading your post before I wrote much the same thing. Sometimes I reply in order to get the thought out of my head before I get distracted by the next post.

Really good thoughts. I think any one who is being threatened and walks holds on to the hope that "he" won't really carry it out, or some miracle will happen. Prolong it and you live that much longer. But then going into more and more remote terrain sadly allows him to get her where he wants her.

I wonder about hitting her. We don't know about so much. I don't think he repeatedly punched her face, or she would have had multiple fractures. I got the sense from the witness that was a single violent blow, possibly with a blunt instrument. But so much of her was not recovered, that much more could have occurred to other parts of her, sad to say.

Ed: I have always thought there was a decent chance he got spooked by fishermen or hunters. I have read that people sometimes camp there to fish and I know that local fishermen like to start even before dawn. OTOH, no one so far has mentioned any sign of human presence down that road during the whole period of time, and no one ever came forward. Or he could have been spooked by an irate feral pig ...

I wonder if being slapped instead of punched would be enough to make her go with him. It would probably scare me into doing what someone wanted.

Okay I understand what you're saying. And I forgot about the phone records.
Thanks, and I could be totally wrong too. I am happy if people take my theories apart and fix em up. I got kind of overly enthusiastic today with all the new info that might help the timeline.

i was going on the account from Maui News. Watching the archived stream, I'd say he opened the door for Wednesday predawn fly egg laying. He said if the flies have already found a source and have gone to sleep for the night in the vicinity, they might get right back to it early on.

Having said that though, that's fine by why weren't MORE eggs laid on Wednesday day? He said the eggs were laid BY 6 AM, so what would make the activity stop at that time?

Steven went to Wailuku station for his interview Wed. morning ...
Now I'm back to late Tue afternoon as the best daylight time for him to unwrap. And maybe he decides no, I need to come back after dark, and then he runs into the sisters, and between them and Kim and Adam, he cannot get away from people until midnight.

I have no memory of any call info on him for Tue-Wed. Anyone?

On a mocking note, gee, how odd that he failed the polygraph Wednesday. How could he expect otherwise?

I wonder if being slapped instead of punched would be enough to make her go with him. It would probably scare me into doing what someone wanted.
Yeah, good point. Has anyone ever heard of him hitting a woman? There are various things I can think of, the main one being driving her through the trees from behind under threat of some weapon. Hands tied and mouth gagged.

Probably because I always see that in the movies, and maybe SC watches movies too.
I don't like thinking of this at all. I think though that it's very right to point out moving dead weight is a real issue without a helper. Dragging through the jungle on a tarp or blanket is hard and leaves traces. No one who searched noticed drag marks, did they?

Interesting sleuthing going on here. I have wondered about the logistics of scrawny Steven getting Charli's body out into the tangle of jungle...Charli was 5'10" and somewhat big-boned. Being pregnant, she'd gained more weight, she must have been around 170 lbs or more at that point. Maybe that was the reason for the dismembering - to facilitate carrying away her remains. I have to say, I am very baffled by the very small size - and sharp edges - of the piece of long bone, which Dr. Taylor testified took place "at or around the time of death." WTH?
For me, whenever I have to move anything really heavy, I put it on an old blanket and drag it. This works like a charm for me.

I have a weird piece of info, guys.
I mentioned a couple days ago that if there was an accomplice (at least for the final removal, which may be implied by the two tape rolls with tape still left on both), then I was thinking about the guy named MM. I assume other sleuthers know who I'm referring to. He disappeared in June 2014 on Maui, and was then found, he was reported to have a drug problem, he has lots of tattoos, and as MamaMerced pointed out, he is listed as a witness in this case. He is also reported to be a really good guy and has a tattoo on his knuckles that says "Live Pono," so it's likely that this person probably cares to some extent about being a fair, decent person.

Anyway....I was researching this individual yesterday and I searched him on USA People Search. The last address of his came up as.....Steven's grandfather's house: 225 Kalipo Pl. (!)

I don't know if they lived at the Kalipo house concurrently before Steven's arrest, or if MM lived there after Steven had been taken into custody....But I almost fell out of my chair when MM's last address came up as the Kalipo address!

MM People Search Addresses.jpg

Whoa! Thanks for the MM tidbit, Mox. I've suspected his involvement since he went missing.
My guess is he was an acomplice to some of the aftermath, and likely an unwitting one. Jmo.

I looked over SC's instagram acct and saw a lot of drug use and weapons. I figure the grandparents condoned his marijuana growing because it was growing all over the yard. In pots. And he had a pic of it drying out inside his home. Maybe grandma smoked it to alleviate her chronic pain? My point is, they knew he was no angel. He had high powered assault rifles too. He either used one to kidnap her to Keanae or knock her out cold. Those rifles are heavy on the end. With proper angle and direction you could easily break break a jawbone off someone's face.

I don't see him needing a lot of strength to carry her body. He could've bundled her in the blanket and carried her over his shoulder like Santa.

I'm not surprised Matthew used SC's address at some point.

I looked over SC's instagram acct and saw a lot of drug use and weapons. I figure the grandparents condoned his marijuana growing because it was growing all over the yard. In pots. And he had a pic of it drying out inside his home.

I looked at Steven's Instagram and I have matched the marijuana hanging from the ceiling and the pic of the assault rifle on the table with the listing pics of the Kalipo [main] house. The photos are indeed taken inside that house. Here is a picture of the marijuana drying from the rafters on the left with the a photo of the same room on the right, taken from the listing pics:

SC drugs loft.jpg

Steven's pic seems to be taken from the opposite direction than the listing pic, but they're the same room: the upstairs loft. There is a blue blanket hanging that stretches across the stairway entrance to provide privacy and "wall" the loft off from the downstairs.

However, in a MauiNews article about the Grandfather's testimony, it states that Steven rents a room in the house and his room is "the front bedroom, next to the living room." So this upstairs loft would not have been the room SC was renting. Was the grandfather/family growing pot and were those HIS guns (maybe used for pig hunting)??? Was MM renting the upstairs loft, while SC was in the downstairs front bedroom? Who was staying in the big detached ohana while the grandparents, baby granddaughter & Steven lived in the main house? So many questions about the living arrangements, and who was drying pot in the upstairs loft of the home, and whose guns those were on the kitchen table. I assume the grandparents were very permissive...

I don't see him needing a lot of strength to carry her body. He could've bundled her in the blanket and carried her over his shoulder like Santa.
Or just tying a rope around her and drag her.

View attachment 102031

Steven's pic seems to be taken from the opposite direction than the listing pic, but they're the same room: the upstairs loft. There is a blue blanket hanging that stretches across the stairway entrance to provide privacy and "wall" the loft off from the downstairs.

However, in a MauiNews article about the Grandfather's testimony, it states that Steven rents a room in the house and his room is "the front bedroom, next to the living room." So this upstairs loft would not have been the room SC was renting. Was the grandfather/family growing pot and were those HIS guns (maybe used for pig hunting)??? Was MM renting the upstairs loft, while SC was in the downstairs front bedroom? Who was staying in the big detached ohana while the grandparents, baby granddaughter & Steven lived in the main house? So many questions about the living arrangements, and who was drying pot in the upstairs loft of the home, and whose guns those were on the kitchen table. I assume the grandparents were very permissive...

After you walk through the Front Door, there is a Bedroom to the left and is the Front Bedroom. Also the stairway up to the loft. So his room and the stairway are right next to each other.

Excellent sleuthing on that interior. :)

Re the pot, are there still people who don't smoke or grow pot in Haiku, or have not in the past? ;-)
Both Adam and Steven had no problem admitting it. Maui and pot growing is an old old relationship.

Guns OTOH, are strictly regulated here. Unregistered guns are a big no no. Having a gun in your car is strictly controlled. Getting a traffic crime or any serious crime means you cannot have guns and even have to turn in your registered guns until your probation is over. I am not sure about DUI requirements, but we know SC had a DUI and did he not have an arrest for promoting detrimental drugs? I doubt with that he could legally have guns, but I'm not 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch