GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Apo is just attacking the credibility of witnesses trying to prove the State did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt. He is not saying his client is innocent or presented a defense.

The least credible witness, IMHO, was the defendant himself, heard in his police interviews, but I have probably said that 1,000 times already.

Notice that not one person came forward as a character witness for the defense. Not one. All of SC's former friends, former co-workers, his ex-step-grandfather, and 2 of his ex-girlfriends all testified for the prosecution. I cannot stand to watch Apo, but he is doing the only thing he can do with a client that is so obviously guilty. IMHO.

Just seems like it would have been difficult to drag that far to the ocean and would it be deep enough? If the altercation started at the ocean edge still very risky with a body coming back.
I hate to write this so I'll be light in my wording. And I'm just thinking out loud. We still don't have answers. If the murder happened on the road above in her car and a machete was used to kill her and he pushed most of her over a cliff THEN went down the path with the part of the body that holds the jaw... this preliminary thought makes sense to me for the timeline and the reason he needed to burn the truck.
I dont know, sigh, this whole story is so sad and I hope her family is ok.

Just seems like it would have been difficult to drag that far to the ocean and would it be deep enough? If the altercation started at the ocean edge still very risky with a body coming back.
I hate to write this so I'll be light in my wording. And I'm just thinking out loud. We still don't have answers. If the murder happened on the road above in her car and a machete was used to kill her and he pushed most of her over a cliff THEN went down the path with the part of the body that holds the jaw... this preliminary thought makes sense to me for the timeline and the reason he needed to burn the truck.
I dont know, sigh, this whole story is so sad and I hope her family is ok.

Unfortunately, HGO, we may never know. Charli's story touched all of us, and I know that we are all grieving with her family. We want justice, but justice will not bring this child, sister, mother-to-be, and friend back to her loved ones. But justice is all we can hope for now.

Today I will think a lot about this and pray that the jury has the strength to convict. That has to be a tough task to make that judgment and have that weigh on ones shoulders. I don't envy the jury.

Today I will think a lot about this and pray that the jury has the strength to convict. That has to be a tough task to make that judgment and have that weigh on ones shoulders. I don't envy the jury.

The question I'd be asking myself as a juror is am I sending the right man to jail for Charli Scott's murder? The answer is yes.

And... here's the Big Lie, according to Apo:

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2016/12/big-lie-involved-victim-defendant-getting-pot/

Addressing “this big lie the state says is proof of murder,” Apo said: “Why would it be a surprise to anyone that a drug dealer, as the state has evidenced him to be, would be lying to a detective about why he was at a particular location?”

“If you’ve lived on Maui long enough, you know there’s no shortage of pakalolo in Keanae,” Apo said.

Referring to testimony that Capobianco and Scott had been involved in growing marijuana when they lived together in Kula, Apo said the drug was “the real reason Steven and Charli stayed together after they broke up.

Remind me the direction of the trail he drug her. Was it towards the creek or ocean or towards a parked car on the path. I don't remember this being talked about as an actual trail with a direction.
North towards the creek (and Haiku)

And... here's the Big Lie, according to Apo:

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2016/12/big-lie-involved-victim-defendant-getting-pot/

Addressing “this big lie the state says is proof of murder,” Apo said: “Why would it be a surprise to anyone that a drug dealer, as the state has evidenced him to be, would be lying to a detective about why he was at a particular location?”

“If you’ve lived on Maui long enough, you know there’s no shortage of pakalolo in Keanae,” Apo said.

Referring to testimony that Capobianco and Scott had been involved in growing marijuana when they lived together in Kula, Apo said the drug was “the real reason Steven and Charli stayed together after they broke up.

There is no way these guys had anytime to grow Marijuana let alone not in their backyard. They were workers. Growing the amount of pot needed to make it worth your while as opposed to being a hairstylist and just buying it on the black market is quite a bit indeed. I can make more money spending my time being a baker and buy pot than I can trying to grow it. . Unless you live on the land or near it you are not growing anything substantial. He could have grown it at Kalipo.

The question I'd be asking myself as a juror is am I sending the right man to jail for Charli Scott's murder? The answer is yes.

The question also is "Do we want this guy out on our streets?" and the answer is "No".

There is no way these guys had anytime to grow Marijuana let alone not in their backyard. They were workers. Growing the amount of pot needed to make it worth your while as opposed to being a hairstylist and just buying it on the black market is quite a bit indeed. I can buy more pot spending my time being a baker than I can being a farmer. Unless you live on the land or near it you are not growing anything substantial. He could have grown it at Kalipo.

He didn't need to go to Keanae for pot, there's plenty of it in Haiku/Kula/Makawao. I imagined that he might have drug clients out Hana way, but his phone records from December to March do not indicate that he goes to Keanae/Hana regularly. He may have a Ecstasy supplier in Hana, and that might have been why he went there after the murders. I totally agree that Charli had no time for growing or selling pot with two jobs and a baby on the way.

I thought Apo was going to say that SC was going to collect some money from a drug client to pay Charli back the money he owed her.

The stuck truck story is not the only lie that SC told. Nice try, Apo, but no sale.

Capobianco Defense Closing Arguments: “Facebook-ed Into Believing”

http://mauinow.com/2016/12/01/defense-closing-arguments-facebook-ed-into-believing-guilt/

The court will reconvene at 10 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1, with the prosecution scheduled to present its rebuttal argument. That will be followed by a few more instructions from the court, after which, the jury can begin their deliberations.

Mahalo, Wendy Osher, for the detailed article, because there is no way I am going to listen to Apo for one more minute.

May the jurors return a guilty verdict very, very soon.

Anyone know what part of yesterday had the big lie discussion? I thought I had listened to all of Apo, painful as that was, but I couldn't keep up with the live stream because busy day. Looks like I missed a whole chunk I want to hear.

The one part where I agree with Apo is that the timeline is very tight for Sunday night, which I/we already noted when the cell phone info and Hana sighting testimony were correlated.

So Kim is talking about "they" killed Charli in a public comment on FB, and says "soon" the family can reveal. She says "they" used Charli's kindness to kill her.

Which I mention because I started leaning towards accomplice after seeing that short timeline.

I have to say I learned more about the case from the Prosecution closing than I did watching all the live streams. It was too confusing. I hope thats just me and not the jury feeling that too. I think SC did murder Charli and I hope he is found guilty.

I have to say I learned more about the case from the Prosecution closing than I did watching all the live streams. It was too confusing. I hope thats just me and not the jury feeling that too. I think SC did murder Charli and I hope he is found guilty.

It was confusing because Apo objected to 80% of the questions posed by the prosecution. The jurors will have all of the exhibits to review, plus they can ask a for read back of any testimony that they thought was unclear.

The timeline for Sunday night is tight because he had a plan. It's not like he was going to languish in Keanae. He had to put up appearances that everything was normal. Besides, he did go back on other nights to finish up.

As far as the "they", you'd have to be a pretty good friend to assist in murdering a pregnant woman. How do you keep quiet about something like that? It wasn't Danielle. She doesn't come across as the type. Imoo

The timeline for Sunday night is tight because he had a plan. It's not like he was going to languish in Keanae. He had to put up appearances that everything was normal. Besides, he did go back on other nights to finish up.

As far as the "they", you'd have to be a pretty good friend to assist in murdering a pregnant woman. How do you keep quiet aboit something like that? It wasn't Danielle. She doesn't come across as the type.
I have never thought she does either, but Brooke seems to think there is something there, and alludes to her as the boat captain. I am only passing on that such comments are being made, but the boat mention resonates with the talk of the ocean disposal

Some accomplices come in after the fact when the murderer needs assistance covering up, out of loyalty.

If you follow crimes in Hawai'i, a lot of the more heinous crimes have been committed or covered up by more than one person. Dana Ireland, Ashara Evenstar, Yesuah Boerstler, Dante Gilman, Sequoyah Vargas, and now the possible new light shed on the rape and murder of a four year old on Kaua'i (cold case), decades later, of a second man.

Accomplices keep quiet in part because they are now culpable under the law. They protect themselves with the silence, not only their friend, lover, relative, etc..

Pua, you're right. After the fact, I can totally see someone helping him "clean up." That's unfortunate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back