His Honor Judge Perry *Merged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 38 years for a man around your age, Casey, who killed another homeless man. It's only going to be much worse for a mother who killed her defenseless child!

Yessiree, I'm feeling a LOT better about JP now! Ooh, Baez and Mason, you have no idea what you're going to be in for!

And only a 2nd Degree Murder conviction too. “You took a life and for that you will spend your youth in prison,” Orange-Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry told Hawthorne, 20.

I love that Team Baez has ended up with HHJBP by their own doing.

Would someone please post the link to the last hearing for me?
Was out of town and missed the entire thing and just now trying to get back up to speed.
TIA friends ~

Hi PurpleIris,

When you first get to the Caylee thread, up in the top section is a thread called media links. Nums24 kindly posted the status hearing links and I'm repeating them for you here.

If this "transfer" doesn't work for you for some reason, just go back to "media links-no discussion" and try it from her original post.

Status Hearing Part 1: http://www.wftv.com/video/25180059/index.html

Status Hearing Part 2: http://www.wftv.com/video/25181178/index.html

Status Hearing Part 3 of 3: http://www.wftv.com/video/2518134/index.html

I still have the same high regard for Judge Perry but I think he made a serious error in judgment when writing this order concerning the TES Record Review, and not anticipating the shenanigans of Team Baez.

The original order from Judge Strickland gave the defense the ability to look at the records of the "original 32" but review the other records WITHOUT taking notes, copying, etc but merely tagging any that the defense felt should be included with the 32 for Judge Strickland's review.

TES was successful in arguing for the privacy rights of those volunteers who did NOT search within a particular sq footage of the remains site.

Then Baez brought a new motion once Judge Perry was assigned to the case, claiming he had a witness who claimed to have searched the remains site as a TES volunteer but was NOT included in the "TES Identified 32". Baez stated this in court.

So Judge Perry issues a new order that I believe was intended to give Baez the right to not only look at the other records but to call any volunteer who appeared to have searched in the general vicinity of the remains site on Suburban.

But Judge Perry (imo) neglected to consider possible ways that Baez would take advantage of his order, and did not detail the stipulations to the order to clearly spell out Baez' limitations.....so it has become a free for all :banghead:

Will be interesting to see what transpires as I imagine that the phones have been ringing off the way at Nejame's office and I would not be surprised to see a Motion for an Emergency Hearing on behalf of TES.

You need to go read what Riley1833 posted in the TES thread today, Kent. That will make you feel a WHOLE lot better. They are not going to be able to pull shenanigans here. They are being thoroughly monitored by TES and the court.

I still have the same high regard for Judge Perry but I think he made a serious error in judgment when writing this order concerning the TES Record Review, and not anticipating the shenanigans of Team Baez.

The original order from Judge Strickland gave the defense the ability to look at the records of the "original 32" but review the other records WITHOUT taking notes, copying, etc but merely tagging any that the defense felt should be included with the 32 for Judge Strickland's review.

TES was successful in arguing for the privacy rights of those volunteers who did NOT search within a particular sq footage of the remains site.

Then Baez brought a new motion once Judge Perry was assigned to the case, claiming he had a witness who claimed to have searched the remains site as a TES volunteer but was NOT included in the "TES Identified 32". Baez stated this in court.

So Judge Perry issues a new order that I believe was intended to give Baez the right to not only look at the other records but to call any volunteer who appeared to have searched in the general vicinity of the remains site on Suburban.

But Judge Perry (imo) neglected to consider possible ways that Baez would take advantage of his order, and did not detail the stipulations to the order to clearly spell out Baez' limitations.....so it has become a free for all :banghead:

Will be interesting to see what transpires as I imagine that the phones have been ringing off the way at Nejame's office and I would not be surprised to see a Motion for an Emergency Hearing on behalf of TES.

HOPEFULLY, this will just be a matter of when the judge wants to deal with JB's games-Judge Strickland, who we know was well apprised of this case, seemed to know JB would try to play games and was trying to cut him off at the pass, on the front end-I am hoping that Judge Perry is equally willing to stop any antics but perhaps on the back end once the antics are apparent. It almost makes JP appear more fair, that he is giving JB a chance to screw up before he calls it a screw up, whereas Judge Strick, it could be construed, was not even willing to allow a lot of things at all, which JB later may have claimed was a bias (and sort of did with the whole Marinade Dave thing).
But to we smart ones here, we know JS was right in his instincts about JB. Perhaps JP will become more rigid towards this kind of stuff, maybe not, but I think if he does not, the result will be a much more drawn out case.

Maybe the judge will narrow down the interviews by asking defense to provide the names of those whom they called and they want to re-interview and then send out questionnaires to be mailed back to them. This would narrow down the personal interviews significantly and the need to personally drag people into the law office that have no information that will help them. They should have done this way back in the very beginning as it would have saved a lot time. jmo

Yeah, HHJP seemed a little crabby. He's even cuter when he's crabby, with his little crabby cherub cheeks.....Love me some Judge Perry.

I enjoyed his approach to Baez and Co in the status hearing. He kept insisting they answer his questions SPECIFICALLY and kept them on point. And he enforced more than one deadline...or told them they would be enforced. He extended one, but not as far as Baez seemed to want. He seems calm, matter of fact and all business. Can't fault that.

Regarding the lawyer whining about a young woman's job keeping her from his beck and call (after the prosecution pointing out he neither called nor "becked" for a couple of years when she was local, conveniently located and available, even working 'down the street'), that was offensive.

He's an important lawyer and she's a young woman whose life has seriously been disrupted simply because she befriended his client. She's not famous and established as he is, probably not nearly as settled financially, yet he wants to the ability to summon her...apparently even if it means placing her job in jepardy. How unkind. The judge didn't seem interested in making her cowtow. Good for him.

Also enjoyed the judge telling ALL that they knew the rules and that it would probably not be a good idea to ignore them.

So far, I like this judge better than the other for this case. He seems to be fair to all but running a much tighter ship.

The trial being covered on In Sessions right now has none other than Judge Perry as the sitting judge, if anyone wants to see him in action.

Something that I noticed immediately when I saw Judge Perry on In Sessions---he is SITTING STILL--unlike what I see durings the current motions in the Anthony hearings when he is jiggling and rocking almost constantly. Is the jiggling and rocking a sign of annoyance or frustration? Or boredom--"get on with it"? What a difference!!
(the Hawthorne trial that In Sessions is showing was in July of this year)

I have been impressed with JP on the A's case but not so in this one.
Not sure the article's title fit from what I read. Huggins is a death row inmate who is trying to stall and JP seems to be going along with it. Not sure why JP is playing let make a deal with this guy.

Judge Calls Death Row Inmate's Bluff
Posted: 5:22 pm EDT October 8, 2010

http://www.wftv.com/news/25331656/detail.html

History of Huggins from the article:

Huggins carjacked young wife and mother Carla Larson in a Publix parking lot in 1997. The Disney construction engineer was on her lunch hour. He strangled her and left her naked body in the woods. Larson's husband, Jim, had already lost his sister, Sonja, to serial killer Danny Rolling in Gainesville seven years earlier.

I have been impressed with JP on the A's case but not so in this one.
Not sure the article's title fit from what I read. Huggins is a death row inmate who is trying to stall and JP seems to be going along with it. Not sure why JP is playing let make a deal with this guy.

Judge Calls Death Row Inmate's Bluff
Posted: 5:22 pm EDT October 8, 2010

http://www.wftv.com/news/25331656/detail.html

History of Huggins from the article:

Huggins carjacked young wife and mother Carla Larson in a Publix parking lot in 1997. The Disney construction engineer was on her lunch hour. He strangled her and left her naked body in the woods. Larson's husband, Jim, had already lost his sister, Sonja, to serial killer Danny Rolling in Gainesville seven years earlier.

Interesting. I just read that article and thought - good one HHJP - you won that round! The guy has been pleading mental illness for years to avoid the death penalty - to me HHJP said put up or shut up and let's move on to the necessary next step. No?

What some people interpret as Judge Perry giving KC's defense too much leeway, I recognize as "protecting the rights of the accused" and preserving the integrity and spirit of the legal process.

Judge Perry has presided over capital cases before where the DP was handed down. He is not "soft". (though his cheeks are just adorable)

What is important to note, is that while Judge Perry is the "go to" Judge for problem cases....his experience and understanding of case law is top notch. Additionally, his belief in the judicial system is evident from the hearings we have seen.

A capital case is highly emotional. There are two or... really three sides to the DP debate. Judge Perry appears to be committed to facilitating fair due process. He does not appear to be swayed by public opinion, nor is he so callous as to forget the human aspect of a capital case. Regardless of public opinion about KC's guilt or innocence...wrongful convictions are a problem in this country.

Some of the reasons I listed above and more are why he was appointed to serve as the liason between the Florida Innocence Commission and the Criminal Court Steering Committee. THis happened in July 2010.
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/pub_info/documents/Innocence_Commission/Filed_07-02-2010_Innocence_Commission_AO.pdf

So.......... when it seems like Judge Perry is giving the defense some wiggle room, remember that he wants this trial right THE FIRST TIME.

Judge Perry will protect this trial. I have complete faith in him!

I came across this article from the Florida Bar News: http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/JN...480a3471c852577a40065f46e!OpenDocument&Click=

Chief Judge Perry said that some of the procedures in place in the ’70s and ’80s “more than likely don’t exist now,” but “some processes in place now need to be tweaked. If we are honest, fair, and lay our cards on the table, and don’t be territorial, we can make improvements in the system.

“When your freedom is taken away and then you are thrust into prison and you cry and no one hears you, that is a helpless feeling,” Perry said. “Night after night, you are locked in a cell and no one hears you. It shakes a lot in you. I hope we, at the end of the day, can leave the process better than we found it.”

He asked the commission members to forget their individual roles as defense lawyers, civil lawyers, prosecutors, lawmakers, judges, professors, and law enforcement officials.

“We’re all just looking at one thing — at least I am: the concept of justice.”

The results of the investigation of wrongfully convicted inmates was interesting:

Ninth Circuit Chief Judge Belvin Perry, chair of the Innocence Commission, listed the contributing causes of wrongful convictions:

• 77 percent had eyewitness misidentification;

• 52 percent had improper forensic evidence;

• 23 percent had false confessions or admissions;

• 16 percent had informants and snitches standing to gain from their testimony.

Over 1 in 5 had false confessions or admissions? I would never have guessed that would be a factor at all.

HHJP works hard for justice. Thanks for finding that article.

We have seen Judge Perry in action for the last few months. Has he lived up to your expectations on how he has handled this case?

I have to admit I am slightly disappointed. He has very good rulings and I feel he is being more than fair in his orders for both the Prosecution and the Defense. However we were told that Judge Perry is a no none sense Judge, yet he is using these court percedings to educate Baez on the law and he made it clear that his deadlines would be met, yet he extended the deadline for depositions.

I think he is a fair Judge but no-nonsense, I'm not seeing it.

In a way, I'm a bit disappointed, too. I wish he'd just tell Baez he should have learned all this in law school and JP doesn't have to be his personal instructor! Judge Perry has way more patience than I, for sure. I do think he's allowing some of JB's nonsense to continue. :shakehead:

I do like the way JP shakes his leg/foot under his desk. The more frustrated he becomes, the more the shaking goes on. I do still love that guy even if he has the patience of a saint with JB, whom I would have smacked into The Outer Limits by now.

I love Judge Perry and I find it extremely hilarious that he has to educate JB on law in court. I see JB with his "color coded charts" that he wants to submit to "his honor" and JP seems very unimpressed. However, he handles the situation very appropriately and professionally. He, IMO, is trying to carry things through in the right way - each time.... IMO to avoid any possibility of an appeal.

So far, I think he's been very fair regarding this case. JMO

He is a leader, the one for other judge's to watch, the anti Judge Ito, the epitome of what the judge should be, calm, certain, with high standards, willing to back up his admonishments, the kind of man that takes charge when you are dancing and leads! I like, trust and respect him.

The trial being covered on In Sessions right now has none other than Judge Perry as the sitting judge, if anyone wants to see him in action.

Yeppers, I have been following it and am getting a birds eye view of what is to come and expect with ICA's trial. I find HHJP fasciniating to watch!

I am not all all disappointed. Most important of all is his respect of the facts of the case and that it is about justice for a tiny three year old baby girl whose life was senselessly extinguished long before her time!

Hello Anais - have you been going to any of the status hearings they have been having once a month? I've missed your terrific live reports lately.

Thanks to you particularly for your comments about HHJP because you have had the chance to watch him in person.

I enjoyed his approach to Baez and Co in the status hearing. He kept insisting they answer his questions SPECIFICALLY and kept them on point. And he enforced more than one deadline...or told them they would be enforced. He extended one, but not as far as Baez seemed to want. He seems calm, matter of fact and all business. Can't fault that.

Regarding the lawyer whining about a young woman's job keeping her from his beck and call (after the prosecution pointing out he neither called nor "becked" for a couple of years when she was local, conveniently located and available, even working 'down the street'), that was offensive.

He's an important lawyer and she's a young woman whose life has seriously been disrupted simply because she befriended his client. She's not famous and established as he is, probably not nearly as settled financially, yet he wants to the ability to summon her...apparently even if it means placing her job in jepardy. How unkind. The judge didn't seem interested in making her cowtow. Good for him.

Also enjoyed the judge telling ALL that they knew the rules and that it would probably not be a good idea to ignore them.

So far, I like this judge better than the other for this case. He seems to be fair to all but running a much tighter ship.

OT, but it goes to the disrespect factor....that dodo in Florida that decided to make a spectacle of burning the Quran: Anderson Cooper was reporting on him and said that no one should listen to the "pastor" anyway, because, as Cooper put it, the guy "sells used furniture on E-bay.

Yes, I suppose we should only listen to Vanderbilts, right?

How about-"Don't listen to the guy because he is an attention whoooah" or he is being disrepectful, or whatever.....but don't listen because the guy sells furniture on Ebay....I guess that makes part time work-at-home moms like myself very looney and non-credible.

Moral of the story is re: making silly arguments-as written above, doesn't matter if AH is the dean of FSU or the cruiseline's doggie pooper scooper-you should have called her when she was available! Did the state push the issue on RK's ex, that is ill? Did they pull the "this is a DP case" card? No, they made arrangements-It would be wise for Mr. Mason to remember that AH, a victim of KC's, will be testifying against her and will be identified before the jury as someone who KC wronged big-time. The defense might consider being very sweet to Amy.

WoW !!! Just saw something interesting..... I did not know that Judge Perry was the judge who presided over the Grand Jury in KC's indictment.

I still don't know how to bring the video over , but it is on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chefk