Hope Sykes arrested 1/20/2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to know what the difference is between what this guy did and what Hope did.

http://pcso.us/2010-5-4-a

The article states he sold an uc 20 oxycodone pills, attempted to flee then threw the rest of the pills across the room. (I had to lol at the last part) He was charged with sale of a schedule II controlled substance and other charges listed, went to jail and is now out on bond.
What determines if you are trafficking or selling? Isn't it the same thing?

I would like to know what the difference is between what this guy did and what Hope did.

The article states he sold an uc 20 oxycodone pills, attempted to flee then threw the rest of the pills across the room. (I had to lol at the last part) He was charged with sale of a schedule II controlled substance and other charges listed, went to jail and is now out on bond.

It might have to do with the number of offenses she had in a short period of time or it might have to do with her saying she wanted 15 years on the tape. Personally, I think the tape is what did her in but that's just my opinion.

It might have to do with the number of offenses she had in a short period of time or it might have to do with her saying she wanted 15 years on the tape. Personally, I think the tape is what did her in but that's just my opinion.

Right, I understand that and agree. Maybe I asked the question in the wrong thread. I wondered why Hope was charged with trafficking when she was present at a drug transaction where 25 hydrocodone pills were sold and the guy I posted the link to was not when he sold 20 oxycodone pills to an uc.

Right, I understand that and agree. Maybe I asked the question in the wrong thread. I wondered why Hope was charged with trafficking when she was present at a drug transaction where 25 hydrocodone pills were sold and the guy I posted the link to was not when he sold 20 oxycodone pills to an uc.

OK, I see what you're saying. Maybe because this is a high profile case because of her connection to Haleigh.

I think Hope had three drug offenses in a matter of months. She had nothing to bargain. She had said she was not going to boot camp if offered. I don't even think she would be offered it with three recent offenses. He gave her the minimum he could give her.

It may be that Hope bought and sold pills. Per the report, UC took her to a location where pills were obtained and then she sold the pills to the UC. One can buy or one can sell, but if one buys and sells it is trafficking according to FL statutes. Also the amount of the drug involved determines the charge. I am not in Florida so am not familiar with Florida's drug laws, and the statute as written is a bit confusing, but this is how I understood it.

I'm almost positive that it's the combo of transporting and selling/buying the drugs that makes it trafficking.. if it was without the transporting it would be "sale of".

IIRC at the time of the arrests it was discussed here that the weight of the merchandise may make a difference between ordinary selling and trafficking, and it's not just the weight of the narcotic substance in the pill, it's the whole pill. Maybe the other guy had lighter pills than Hope did?

Does this mean Hope has appealed her sentence?

sykes, hope a

2010-04-30 47 motion for rehearing

I'd say it means she's had an attitude adjustment. Perhaps her memory has also improved as to certain events and conversations she has been privy to. IDK, but that's what I think.

Does this mean Hope has appealed her sentence?

sykes, hope a

2010-04-30 47 motion for rehearing

"snip" http://www.putnam-fl.com/clk_apps/crim_dkts/frame.php

ucn: 542010cf000143xxaxmx
file date: 2010-01-21 judge: Terry j larue
defense atty: Beeching, marcella ann

rehearing n. conducting a hearing again based on the motion of one of the parties to a lawsuit, petition or criminal prosecution, usually by the court or agency which originally heard the matter. Rehearings are usually requested due to newly-discovered evidence, an unfortunate and possibly unintended result of the original order, a change of circumstance or a simple claim that the judge or agency was just wrong.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/rehearing

I'm almost positive that it's the combo of transporting and selling/buying the drugs that makes it trafficking.. if it was without the transporting it would be "sale of".

Drugs - distribution vs trafficking

Distribution basically means that a person is selling, furnishing or delivering a controlled substance.

The offense of drug trafficking refers primarily to the weight of the substances involved and not to the movement of the drugs either across state lines or from one person to another. In fact, possession of a controlled substance may become a trafficking charge if the drugs weigh enough. It is not necessary for a trafficking charge that the drugs in question have been moved or transported at all.

Also, “trafficking” offences may include production or cultivation, import and export, transporting, offering, selling and/or possession, with intent to distribute or supply, or the concept of acting “for gain” or “on a commercial basis”.

I'm unsure about what I'm allowed to link to on this site so I can supply the websites I referenced if that's allowed. If someone could point me to the Rules about what we can provide links to and what is disallowed, I would be very grateful as I have not been able to find this information. :)

rehearing n. conducting a hearing again based on the motion of one of the parties to a lawsuit, petition or criminal prosecution, usually by the court or agency which originally heard the matter. Rehearings are usually requested due to newly-discovered evidence, an unfortunate and possibly unintended result of the original order, a change of circumstance or a simple claim that the judge or agency was just wrong.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/rehearing

Thanks for the reply!
I did find that Hope's charges from 2010-01-04 POSSESSION OF SCHEDULE SUBSTANCE looks to be dropped if I am understanding what NOLLE PROSEQUI means.

Would that not be considered new evidence or a claim that the judge was just wrong when he used her priors to determine her sentence?

I thought the judge did take into consideration her previous charges, this being one of them? If it was dropped how were they able to use the Jan 4th charge against her?
Could be the reason for the re-hearing?

I'd say it means she's had an attitude adjustment. Perhaps her memory has also improved as to certain events and conversations she has been privy to. IDK, but that's what I think.

I wonder if she's sees Ron as such a rockstar now? lol.

I'm thinking she is going to change her plea to not guilty - claiming she did not understand the rammifications of pleading no contest. From her phone call to her Mum, she pretty much says she wasn't involved, Misty was carrying the pills. Don't know why she had to go in with Misty to get them but I suspect she will attempt to change her plea - "everyone was suppose to plea the same way" The others are pleading not guilty.

Drugs - distribution vs trafficking

Distribution basically means that a person is selling, furnishing or delivering a controlled substance.

The offense of drug trafficking refers primarily to the weight of the substances involved and not to the movement of the drugs either across state lines or from one person to another. In fact, possession of a controlled substance may become a trafficking charge if the drugs weigh enough. It is not necessary for a trafficking charge that the drugs in question have been moved or transported at all.

Also, “trafficking” offences may include production or cultivation, import and export, transporting, offering, selling and/or possession, with intent to distribute or supply, or the concept of acting “for gain” or “on a commercial basis”.

I'm unsure about what I'm allowed to link to on this site so I can supply the websites I referenced if that's allowed. If someone could point me to the Rules about what we can provide links to and what is disallowed, I would be very grateful as I have not been able to find this information. :)

Makes sense. thanks!

Does this mean she was taken to prison? I thought she got 15yrs? Did ask for a rehearing, but looks like she is out of jail now!

Snip" http://public.pcso.us/jail/bookingDetails.aspx?SYSID=758547&IMG=53175

HOPE ANTWANETTE SYKES
PALATKA, FL
Booking Date & Time: 1/20/2010 10:37:05 PM - Booking#: 10-00279
Release Date & Time: 5/7/2010 7:15:06 AM
DOB: 3/24/1991 - RACE: W - SEX: F

Could that just mean she was released from the jail to where she will serve her time - even if her sentenced time gets reduced? Then they will have to transport her back for the hearing if it is heard...

Where is Hope going to serve her time? Can we look to see if she's arrived?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aebuser
Back