Hope Sykes arrested 1/20/2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I TOTALLY agree w/your post!!! I think 15 years, esp. for a TEENAGER, is absurd. I sincerely feel that Hope did NOT understand the ramifications of her "nolo" plea; just because something is "explained" to someone, that does not automatically mean they truly comprehend that explanation. A lot of uneducated people fall into the trap of signing whatever is in front of them because they are too embarrassed to admit they don't understand what they have read. To explain further, many are in such a state of fear and confusion that they simply don't understand how to even go about asking for help/clarification. I have tutored many teens who have huge gaps in their educational histories- some left school at 16 or 17 and are now trying to get GEDs, some were very poorly "home-schooled", some refused to attend classes for special help because of the stigma, etc. This doesn't mean they are stupid, but many are highly ignorant when it comes to manners and basic social skills, and their parents are even worse. I have known MANY young people who have gotten involved w/drugs from all types of homes/backgrounds... the thing is, we often don't hear much about the ones who have money and connections, the ones who come to court polished and acting remorseful, the ones who know how to please the judges, sincere or not. THESE types have PAID attorneys who have spoken to the judge in chambers before the case is even called; sometimes they don't even have to enter the courtroom- their atty. represents them. For the exact same charges, one person will get community service and rehab, while another will go to jail for months or years even because they can't afford bail/court costs/fines, etc. My neighbor recently paid a lawyer $8,000. to make a simple possession (pot) charge "go away" for her grandson. It took three years but she could afford it and her grandson is a college student who cleans up well. Sorry if O/T but I think these scenarios relate to Hope's situation. Of course she's no angel but to be sentenced FIFTEEN YEARS at NINETEEN?? I hope she has a successful appeal and serves less time, much less, and gets some help.

I liked your post. It made me think back to about 15 years ago and my parents bailing out my brother for a DUI---his first and only one thankfully. But they were able to hire a good attorney for him and get the charge down to a misdemeanor instead of a felony on his record. He didn't hurt anyone or himself, just bumped a parked car in a parking lot and the arresting officer had watched him walk out to the car and get in to drive away. So, yes, sometimes it does pay to have a good lawyer!

Incase you all are interested - according to the county clerk records - Hope's lawyer has filed a motion for a rehearing on 4/30/2010.

Seems to me someone wants to change their plea, or has had a major attitude adjustment, maybe both.

Check the records - filed Friday.

UCN: 542010CF000143XXAXMX
File Date: 2010-01-21 Judge: TERRY J LARUE
Defense Atty: BEECHING, MARCELLA ANN

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

Date # Docket Description
2010-01-21 1 COMPLAINT - PCSO DET. T CAMPBELL (1/13/10)

2010-04-27 40 15 YEARS DOC WITH 97 DAYS CREDIT - MINIMUM MANDATORY

2010-04-27 40 $395 COURT COSTS

2010-04-27 40 $50 PUBLIC DEFENDER APPLICATION FEE

2010-04-27 40 $100 PUBLIC DEFENDER ATTORNEY FEE

2010-04-27 40 $100 COST OF PROSECUTION

2010-04-27 40 $15 TO THE ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE TRUST FUND

2010-04-27 40 ALL COSTS ENTERED AS A CIVIL LIEN

2010-04-27 40 $250,000 FINE (MINIMUM MANDATORY)

2010-04-27 41 SENTENCING WITNESS TESTIFIED

2010-04-27 42 FINGERPRINTS OF DEFENDANT

2010-04-29 43 JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE

2010-04-29 44 CHARGES, COSTS, AND FEES ASSOCIATED WITH SENTENCE

2010-04-29 44 RECORDED INST

2010-04-30 45 COMMITMENT ISSUED

2010-04-30 46 CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE AS TO JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE

2010-04-30 47 MOTION FOR REHEARING

Incase you all are interested - according to the county clerk records - Hope's lawyer has filed a motion for a rehearing on 4/30/2010.

Seems to me someone wants to change their plea, or has had a major attitude adjustment, maybe both.

Snipped:

I hope the rehearing does not happen before the rest appear for their charges. Keep them all wondering if the hammer will be as heavy on them!!!

I think Hope acted very stupidly, in every regard. From partaking in the drug deal, fangirling over Ron, to her phonecall with her mother and in how she dealt with her criminal charges. Here's a girl who is a casualty of the life she was born into - she never really had a chance. She doesn't come across as being particularly well-educated or naturally clever. She's made a lot of dumb choices but something tells me that it's all she really knows. It's easy to say 'there's always a choice' when for some, in fact, there certainly isn't. I feel sorry for her because it's only a pure accident of birth that I, or anyone else, wasn't born into her situation. Unfortunately, you can't pick your family. The fact that she views Ron Cummings as a hero figure, someone to look up to, speaks volumes about her.

Hope never had a chance starting out in life, and she's turned into a pretty nasty young woman. However, the right kind of treatment, counselling and influence could help her to turn her life around. Lock her up long-term in a rehabilitation center, by all means. Get her away from the low-lifes she currently associating with. Show her that she can have a better life, if she wants to make a big effort to turn it all around. Sentencing her to 15 years in jail has effectively ended any chance she might have had to make a better life for herself. I hope she can get it reduced with her rehearing - thanks to raisincharlie for the information. Her current sentence is unfair and it will probably make her very bitter, she already has a huge chip on her shoulder. I would be surprised if she doesn't turn to drugs in prison. What kind of life is in store for her once she's released? What kind of job opportunities will be available to her? She'll be too old for stripping. Lowest-rent prostitute, maybe?

I feel sorry for all of these kids, even Misty. Both of her parents are drug addicts and criminals and they turned young Misty onto drugs. Tommy got into his father's pain meds and started taking opiates from there. The young Croslins were often homeless and hungry as children. We can only imagine the kind of life they led, with drug dealers kicking down the doors as per GM Flora. What can anyone expect of children raised like this? What kind of choices can we expect them to make when this is the only life they know? I'm not surprised Misty seems so dependant on men and clung like a limpet to the first guy that offered to give her a roof over her head. I would imagine that her young life was many times worse than HaLeigh's. Just a few years ago we would have pitied Misty, not reviled her. What's to say HaLeigh wouldn't have grown up and turned into another Misty? Should we not be happy that the world has to endure one less Cummings/Croslin? A lethal mix, if you ask me. [I don't mean this, I'm playing devil's advocate] Society needs to sucessfully act for kids that are brought up in these damaging kind of environments, instead of turning it's back on them. Institutions like the DCF are useless and often send children into worse situations of abuse in institutions and foster homes. The system is shamefully failing our most vulnerable members of society. Had these kids, including Hope, been raised in a loving and nuturing environment they would have never found themselves in the predicament they are in today.

Here we have two extended families that are royally messed up. Even Ron didn't get off lightly and was taken in by Grandma, along with his sister. Delving into the relationship between Crystal Sheffield and her mother hints at a controlling and abusive relationship as well. All of these parents have utterly failed their children. They have not equipped them to lead healthy, happy lives like you or I. Nature and nurture (or in this case lack of) has made them the way they are today. What happened to Haleigh was a direct casualty of this lifestyle. I don't know anything about Lindsy's family but I'm willing to bet she was not raised by drug addicts and had a loving upbringing.

Many people following the case, like the good folk on this forum, are genuinely concerned about the fate of this tragic little angel, Haleigh, and anxious to see the perpetrators brought to justice. Because of that, this is the only place that I now regularly visit to keep updated. Elsewhere, I see this case being treated like some reality soap opera with some of the public actually delighting in the most sordid aspects of this case. Revelling in every tragic detail that's been revealed. I almost get the sense that some enjoy it, readily picking on only the most degraded and debauched rumours and gleefully running with them. It's disgusting and some of those who do it have far sicker minds than any of the Cummings or Croslin gang. This story has become the nation's 'guilty pleasure'. I've just come from a link to a jailhouse audio where a number of posters thanked the blogger for their 'fix'. How inappropriate is that when underlying it all, we still do not know what happened to this poor little girl.

Locking up Hope is only delaying the inevitable. She will emerge from jail, probably still a drug addict and go on to bring another generation into this mess. Where is the rehabilitation? I have great pity for Hope and the others involved in this situation, while still believing their actions with regard to the drug bust and, of course, Haleigh should be punished. Outside of solving the fate of Haleigh, this case should serve as an eye-opener into the real lives of our poor, uneducated and marginalised brothers and sisters. While there will always be bad eggs and black sheep, every child born into this world is a blank slate, tabula rasa, and the onus is on the parents and society to ensure they are raised to become upstanding adults and fit members of our communities.

Sorry for the rant. Apologies if some of it's too far off-topic. Every aspect of this case is breaking my heart. :frown: :no: :frown:

Appeal??

IIRC, a motion of rehearing could be for appeal or a request for the court to vacate the judgement and enter a new one. I'm not an attorney, so I'm not sure of the particulars of it.

Would be a good question to ask the resident attorneys.

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

What the heck is a rehearing?? Is that similar to an appeal? An economy version for inmates with a public defender??

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

IMO she should have gotten a better lawyer who would not have allowed her to give in the way she did. Had she fought it- they would probably have lowered the charges eventually, bumped 'em down to "sale of" or conspiracy to traffic or something. To give in like that, so quick, is imo just dumb.

When I got nailed for the drugs my mother and I got busted together, she tossed me to the wolves and ended up only facing a "conspiracy to sell" charge and got the charge tossed off her record after 5 years of no more criminal behavior, didn't even have to see a probation officer. I dragged mine out for like 4 years, refused to plea.. said I'd rather go to trial knowing they really don't wanna have to take people to trial for stuff like this because of the cost to tax payers (I was trash, was on state aid and had a public defender)... I ended up with a 15 year suspended sentence.. had I plead like they wanted, when they wanted I'd have been screwed! It sounds like Hope is the less savvy one of this bunch and her choice of lawyers wasn't a wise one, he should have told her to hold out.

What the heck is a rehearing?? Is that similar to an appeal? An economy version for inmates with a public defender??

lol, naw everyone is entitled to the same thing regardless of what kind of lawyer they have.

Presumably then if she got the mandatory minimum her score would have been "zero" or close to it. And if it was that low, then presumably even the judge likely thought that 15 years was too much. But, because of the phone conversation, he couldn't give her the alternative. I'm sure he feels bad about it but legally he had no alternative. The 15 year sentence is a consequence of poor legislation rather than poor judgement.

I think that there is probably an entire undercurrent going on in the legal system where most/all of these cases are swept under the rug by reducing to possesion or using the youthful offenders provisions because the justice system knows that these mandatory sentences are inappropriate. In Hope's case she had the misfortune of being in the Haleigh spotlight, so the rules couldn't be bent for her like they are for most everyone else.

I think she just had the misfortune of not getting good advice about how to plea in court.

IMO she should have gotten a better lawyer who would not have allowed her to give in the way she did. Had she fought it- they would probably have lowered the charges eventually, bumped 'em down to "sale of" or conspiracy to traffic or something. To give in like that, so quick, is imo just dumb.

When I got nailed for the drugs my mother and I got busted together, she tossed me to the wolves and ended up only facing a "conspiracy to sell" charge and got the charge tossed off her record after 5 years of no more criminal behavior, didn't even have to see a probation officer. I dragged mine out for like 4 years, refused to plea.. said I'd rather go to trial knowing they really don't wanna have to take people to trial for stuff like this because of the cost to tax payers (I was trash, was on state aid and had a public defender)... I ended up with a 15 year suspended sentence.. had I plead like they wanted, when they wanted I'd have been screwed! It sounds like Hope is the less savvy one of this bunch and her choice of lawyers wasn't a wise one, he should have told her to hold out.

Oh my, Hope was assigned a PD. Did she really have a choice of attorneys?
You would think that her relatives would have known the rope and advised her not to plea nolo contendere. Something is not right.
I was screwed also one time 16 years ago with that plea. Was arrested for a rolling stop and taking out of my car because " I did not act right". Had multiple teeth pulled two days prior. Was on a potent prescribed painkiller( an opiate). Anyway, ended up in hospital(started bleeding from mouth) and had a pee test. Got a drug charge as a result of that. Got taken to the cleaners by the county with various mandatory rehabilitation programs. No prison term though and a private expensive attorney( now disbarred) in cahoots with the prosecution. Only take aspirin now for any pain. Learned my lesson in that joke system. That was my only conviction/experience with the US court system. LOL, can not even stand to watch cop shows on TV. Sorry to be O/T but have a great distrust of LE although I am legal immigrant from Holland.

Sorry but I for one am happy with the sentence. FL has really cracked down on people caught dealing due to the high rearrest records of people dealing. Before FL upped the guidelines they caught the same dealers over and over again some on the same day they got out. There are so many accidental deaths by drug overdoses, the more dealers off the streets the better, it might just save the life of someone you know.

Sorry but I for one am happy with the sentence. FL has really cracked down on people caught dealing due to the high rearrest records of people dealing. Before FL upped the guidelines they caught the same dealers over and over again some on the same day they got out. There are so many accidental deaths by drug overdoses, the more dealers off the streets the better, it might just save the life of someone you know.

The problem is not the street dealers, if one is sent away another will take their place since most are addicts themselves and sell to support their habit. It's like trying to make a hole in a lake with a bucket. To address the problem you need to go after the source, which in this case is the prescription of opiates. These pharmaceuticals should only be used in a hospital setting where they can be properly controlled. But that won't happen however, since it is big business, there is too much money being made by people who have real lobbyists.

Sending people like Hope away for 15 years or more for selling a few pills will achieve absolutely nothing other than wrecking any chance she might have for a life and costing the taxpayers a quarter of a million dollars.

Sending people like Hope away for 15 years or more for selling a few pills will achieve absolutely nothing other than wrecking any chance she might have for a life and costing the taxpayers a quarter of a million dollars.

JMO - Hope's "life" was already ruined, by herself, her family and the choices she made or was led to. Speaking to her Mother the way she did pretty much proves it, her own words. One dealer off the street is one less child that may find pills laying around that the dealer sold to their parents, or one less child who may not suffer abuse because a dope head was too concerned with drugs to worry about the child.

While I agree the source is the best approach at correcting this problem, I refuse to accept it is okay to turn a blind eye until the source issue is addressed. Truthfully though, I don't find 15 years to be enough considering the overall impact of drugs on society as a whole. A quarter million dollars is little if it stops another child from being harmed, traded away for drugs, or worse. Haleigh is gone, LE has spent more than a quarter million dollars trying to find her. Haleigh is believed to be deceased. Haleigh was worth way more than a quarter million dollars, she is irreplaceable actually. Haleigh paid a very high price because of drugs. Jail is a field day compared to what happened to Haleigh.

I'm very happy with the sentence Hope got....now, I wish LE would go after the people who were selling Ronald and Misty and Hope the pills to sell in the 1st place!

I think that Hope should have known better, but she more than likely suffers from addiction, and I don't think 15 years is justice. She is 19 years old. I did some incredibly stupid things when I was 19. If there would have been undercover police officers targeting my friends it is likely I could have been charged with crimes and sent away for years. Who knows how her life could have changed if she had not rode with them on the drug deals. Maybe the bust would have been a life changing wake up call.

I think that Hope should have known better, but she more than likely suffers from addiction, and I don't think 15 years is justice. She is 19 years old. I did some incredibly stupid things when I was 19. If there would have been undercover police officers targeting my friends it is likely I could have been charged with crimes and sent away for years. Who knows how her life could have changed if she had not rode with them on the drug deals. Maybe the bust would have been a life changing wake up call.

It is. WAKE UP, HOPE! You don't get to do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want to do it. There are consequences and sometimes, those consequences suck. I hope you get your GED. I hope you get your degree in physical therapy or whatever it is you want to apply yourself to. I hope you make a life-change the likes your family has surely never seen.

Make something of yourself, but don't blame the justice system for where you are. Thank the justice system you aren't in a morgue, for surely that is where you'd end up for doing what it is you have been.

I can see where you are coming from. But there is another side to this. Maybe this will save her life. I personally knew 4 young adults that died just in the last year out of one group of young kids in Northwest FL. Two of them died because they were trying very hard to come clean. They had a weak moment and just was gonna get high for old times sake. Because they were clean their usual dosage was too potent for their bodies and OD'd. The other two just went to sleep and never woke up. One beautiful girl left behind two children. She really did try to come clean. I would rather mine lost 15 years and had a chance to live. In jail they can get it... but they also have 24 hrs of protection from it if they chose.

BBM

Sweet friend, you are not and never have been trash. And you are loved and greatly respected here.

Thanks for your willingness to share your hard won wisdom.

I wish Hope would listen to someone who has been there and done that.

I talked to a lawyer friend last night. She said if the rehearing is granted, the whole sentencing phase starts over. She said it is usually granted if there is some new evidence or something that may change the judge's mind on his sentencing. Will be anxious to see what goes on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darla4
Back