Hope Sykes arrested 1/20/2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cummings' cousin gets 15 years in drug case
Misty's attorney not sure what sentence means to his client
Posted: April 28, 2010 - 12:11am
"Snip" By Dana Treen http://staugustine.com/news/local-ne...ears-drug-case

Hope Sykes and family were shaken and tears ran as her mother buried her face in her hands. More than half a dozen people spoke in Sykes' behalf, which her attorney, Marcella Beeching, told the judge attested to a "fantastic support system."

Sykes needed drug rehabilitation and did not have a serious criminal record, her attorney said.

"There is no violence in her background," Beeching said.

Prosecutor Jacquelyn Roys requested the minimum mandatory sentence, played the recorded jail call for the judge, with Sykes profanely railing against any stiff sentence, and said Sykes was an active participant in the drug sale.

"Stupid us if we let her out, because she already told us what was going to happen," Roys said.

Beeching has 30 days to appeal the sentence.

She handed the prosecution their closing arguments on a golden plate.

Unfortunately her fantastic support system weren't able to talk any sense into her the last time.

How do we get people into drug rehab before it's too late? (Just a rhetorical question, I'm sure there's another thread about it somewhere.)

I don't think any of these drug charges are federal. When charges are adopted federally from a state agency it would show the charges dropped on the dockets that everyone is following from the various counties. A person cannot stand on the same charges from a state and federal perspective at the same time...double jeopardy. The state will drop their charges and the prisoner will be transferred to the US Marshal's custody. A new federal arrest warrant will be executed (usually the same day if they are in custody) and then they will be arraigned in front of a federal magistrate and a new bond (or sometimes no bond) will be set just as in the state court. They will go through the whole process again in a different circuit of courts (federal).

A few years ago, the federal system went totally electronic. All subpoena's criminal complaints, motions, judgements etc., as well as the docket calendar are all filed electronically which means unless you are a federal agency you cannot access that system online. I'm not sure how or if the general public can access it at all unless you are an associated party. The fact that everyone can look up the court dates on the county or state judicial system tells me that these are state charges.

And from what I've seen today it seems that the state penalties in Florida are more severe than the federal ones on this type of drug. Hydrocodone is a Schedule III controlled substance and the max penalty for trafficking any amount of that drug is no more than 5 years and a $250,000 fine for an individual. There is some review going on now in reference to the Controlled Substances Act on whether or not they should reclassify this drug from a Schedule III to a Schedule II narcotic. If they do, then the penalties will be stiffer.

In my experience, before the feds will take drug charges like this the targets have to be dealing pretty good amounts of the drug and/or there has to be a proven international connection etc. It's kind of confusing, but it depends on the type of drug and what is being done with it. For example, meth is a Schedule II narcotic and as little as 5 grams (which isn't much) can get you federal charges. Realisticly, most people charged with selling 5 grams of meth are not going to be charged federally.

Ron and Misty and crew were small time dealers. It also depends on who the US Attorney is and whether they will take on the charges. Most are too busy and have bigger fish to fry than small time dealers. And like in this situation, the feds won't take charges knowing the penalties and fines are stricter with the state courts.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/agency/penalties.htm

Here are the federal penalties for the different drugs. Also linked on that page to the left is the Controlled Substances Act if anyone is interested in reading that.

I hope this makes sense and sorry for the long post!

I see what you're saying and thank you so much for that information. I just wonder if the Feds could charge them under the RICO statute? Anyone? TIA

http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/02/22/news/news0350.tnv

This is the undercover video of RC, MC and Hope in the car doing their drug deal. If you watch the video it appears that it is Hope that hands the pills off to Ronald when they get back in the car. Hope also makes a comment about counting the pills out herself when they got them from the other person. While we do not see the backseat video that the lawyers told Hope and her mother existed, I would be willing to be that it does indeed show Hope with the pills regardless of what she said to her mother.

For her to tell her mother that there were NO PILLS, is Bull IMO. I have no pity for this young woman. This was not her first offense, nor was it her first time pleading no contest so she undoubtedly knows exactly what it means. If she truly wanted to straighten out her life like she claimed in court then she should have done that the first time she got caught. Saying that on her 5th trip around the track makes it sound very hollow and insincere. She should thank her lucky stars that she got the mandatory minimum 15 years instead of the 30 she could have gotten IMO.

Thank you!

Does anyone know what Ron's hand signals to Hope are about on that video?

:waitasec: Sounds as if Hope's attorney is not happy with yesterdays ruling as well. I wonder if she will file an appeal? Misty's attorney also spoke out, I wonder if he got word to Misty yet on how many years Hope got and will that finally make Misty come clean? I still wonder if Hope sentence is part of LE's plan to try and crack Misty. I know it's up to the Judge and the laws to what type of sentence she gets, Judge LaRue is the one that sentenced her to 15 yrs not LE. IMO that is a long time for someone so young with no violence criminal record. Yes, she should be punished for her crimes and do time, but IMO I feel they should of put her in a drug program and given some prison time. How is she going to rehabilitate sitting in prison taking up a cell that could house a Sex Offender or Murderer? She will have more access to drugs in prison. It happens often, maybe that is why she made the remark she rather serve 15yrs in prison, rather than do the drug programs. Obviously she is an addict and needs helps. I don't think 15yrs in prison will break her of her habits, if anything it will turn her into an angry revengeful person. She will most likely come out worse being around real hard core criminals.
They give shorter sentences to the hard core criminals and it makes no sense to me. I am not defending her, just saying she just took up a cell that could house a violent criminal that will be put back out in the streets to hurt a child/someone in the community in the future.

"Snip" By Dana Treen http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-04-28/cummings-cousin-gets-15-years-drug-case

After Sykes' sentencing, Misty Croslin's attorney, Robert Fields, said it was difficult to weigh what the 15-year prison term meant to his client's case.

"I'll have to digest it," he said. "Judges rule on a case-by-case basis and this is a different case."

Judge LaRue said he ordered the minimum mandatory sentence because Sykes sold drugs within weeks of being released from jail on an earlier drug charge.

Sykes had been out of jail less than two weeks on a possession charge when she was arrested in the trafficking case, which LaRue said disqualified her for youthful offender consideration that would have meant a much shorter sentence.

"I don't want to live this life no more," Sykes said before LaRue imposed the sentence. She admitted making light of the first arrest after she was let out of jail on her own recognizance.

"I thought, 'OK, the drugs are still out there,' " she said.

LaRue said the youthful offender statute is for young people who are pressured or led astray by peers.

"That's not the case here," he said. The later charge was more serious than a second possession arrest.

"What she did was engage in trafficking," he said.

He imposed the sentence and fined Sykes $250,000 after an hour of testimony by her family and others.
Hope Sykes and family were shaken and tears ran as her mother buried her face in her hands. More than half a dozen people spoke in Sykes' behalf, which her attorney, Marcella Beeching, told the judge attested to a "fantastic support system."

Sykes needed drug rehabilitation and did not have a serious criminal record, her attorney said.

Florida doesn't fool around with drug dealers. I believe all of them will get harsh sentences.

I don't even consider these penny ante transactions drug dealing in any sense of the word. Its quite laughable to me. Many child molesters get less of a sentence and to me that is a huge deal.

But back to the thread. If this is any indication I fully expect all of them to receive the maximum sentence.

jmho

Interesting comments here:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100428/ARTICLES/4281005/1002

Assistant State Attorney Jacquelyn Roys pointed out that Sykes was arrested Jan. 3 on an unrelated drug possession charge, yet continued to be involved with drug activity after being released on that charge, leading to her second arrest.

"It's the state's position she needs the minimum mandatory," Roys said.

Chris Kelly, a spokesman for the 7th Circuit State Attorney's Office, said prosecutors had no comment on Sykes' sentence because of the pending cases against the others. Kelly added he is not aware of any negotiations on plea agreements for the other defendants.

MISTY CROSLIN: I just want some (EXPLETIVE DELETED) good food. I`m going to prison, I`m telling you.

TIMMY MISTY CROSLIN: For how long?

MISTY CROSLIN: Eight trafficking charges.

TIMMY MISTY CROSLIN: Huh?

MISTY CROSLIN: I have eight trafficking charges.

TIMMY MISTY CROSLIN: how long you think you`re going to do?

MISTY CROSLIN: About 21 years.

TIMMY MISTY CROSLIN: No. You`re not going to do 21 years.

MISTY CROSLIN: I`m going to prison to. Donna is going to prison. Ronald is going to prison. We`re all going to prison, Tim. Unless I can come out and tell them something.

TIMMY MISTY CROSLIN: Huh?

MISTY CROSLIN: Unless I come out and tell them something, that`s the only way I`m not going.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1002/15/ng.01.html

Yep, your going to jail!
Unless............ your memory gets a lot better!

Even if her memory gets better, MC is going to do time. There is no way she'll get off scott free. As she tries to make a deal, finally telling what happened to HaLeigh they will not give her immunity or limited immunity, IMO as it relates to HaLeigh. If she's got 9 drug trafficking charges on her, her display of no remorse, blaming her being there on precious HaLeigh, she is going away for a long time. I don't know if she can quality for YO status since her charges are many, KWIM??

I found this on the YO Program in Florida..

Florida's Premier Criminal Defense Firm If you are under 21, a Judge has discretion in your drug case sentencing.

Youth Has Its Privileges: Florida’s Youthful Offender Statute
If you are under the age of 21 at the time of your sentencing, Florida Statute 958.04 [Judicial disposition of youthful offenders] may apply to you. Even if you warrant mandatory prison time in the State of Florida, this statute gives a judge the discretion to waive that mandatory prison sentence. The “Youthful Offender” provision is one of the only statutes that allow a judge the discretion to preserve a young person’s future.

more at the link:
http://www.fightyourdrugcrime.com/youthful_offender_statute.aspx/

:waitasec: The judge took into consideration the charges from Jan 3rd's arrest in his ruling. Here is my question. She was not sentanced yet on those charges, she has not yet been convicted. Or has she? Anyone know? Would this not make the Jan 3rd charges mute for her sentencing for the recent drug charge?

"Snip" By Dana Treen http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-04-28/cummings-cousin-gets-15-years-drug-case

After Sykes' sentencing, Misty Croslin's attorney, Robert Fields, said it was difficult to weigh what the 15-year prison term meant to his client's case.

"I'll have to digest it," he said. "Judges rule on a case-by-case basis and this is a different case."

Judge LaRue said he ordered the minimum mandatory sentence because Sykes sold drugs within weeks of being released from jail on an earlier drug charge.

Sykes had been out of jail less than two weeks on a possession charge when she was arrested in the trafficking case, which LaRue said disqualified her for youthful offender consideration that would have meant a much shorter sentence.

"I don't want to live this life no more," Sykes said before LaRue imposed the sentence. She admitted making light of the first arrest after she was let out of jail on her own recognizance.

"I thought, 'OK, the drugs are still out there,' " she said.

LaRue said the youthful offender statute is for young people who are pressured or led astray by peers.

"That's not the case here," he said. The later charge was more serious than a second possession arrest.

He imposed the sentence and fined Sykes $250,000 after an hour of testimony by her family and others.

This report provides a brief summary of the major changes that have occurred in Florida's criminal sentencing and punishment policies from 1980 to 2000. Florida has transformed the way it punishes serious criminals during this period of time. The indeterminate parole system has been replaced with the determinate, "truth-in-sentencing" policy wherein all offenders must serve a minimum of 85% of their prison sentences. The many changes in sentencing practices, gaintime policies, and early prison release mechanisms that have also occurred in the punishment system are summarized in this:

see chart in article.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/history/index.html

MADJGNLAW said:
The judge took into consideration the charges from Jan 3rd's arrest in his ruling. Here is my question. She was not sentanced yet on those charges, she has not yet been convicted. Or has she? Anyone know? Would this not make the Jan 3rd charges mute for her sentencing for the recent drug charge?

Could be the judge included those charges with the trafficking charge. Another words she didn't learn and was just released January 3, for a possession charge. IDK if she was ROR on that possession charge..but she violated those terms of release...so, hardheaded, kept on with the illegal drug activity, didn't learn..so this sentence will teach her...JMHO

Thank you for this!
I found the statute regarding no gain time on a mandatory minimum.
Was not aware of that, though it makes sense when you think about it.
When they say minimum sentence they mean it.
From what I found this applies to all mandatory minimum sentencing in the state, not just trafficking?

Thanks again!

I don't know the legal terms but you are right. What caused this change is in the late 1980's early 1990's prisoners with gain time were being put in work release quite early. I was kidnapped and raped by a man who escaped from a work release here in FL. He was sentenced to 85 years for kidnapping and armed robbery. After only 3 years he was placed into a work release. That is when he escaped and broke into my house while we were at work. After this the Sheriff's of most FL counties proposed STOP stop turning out prisoners which took away gain time and placed mandatory minimums. The man was then given 4 life sentences with no possibility of parole. It was my case that helped the Florida Senate to put this in place. While I think drug charges are quite different than kidnapping and rape, Hope still broke the law. My concerns as a Florida resident are when the prisons become overcrowded they hopefully will release those sentenced on drug charges rather than the violent offenders which they released last time due to overcrowding. No need for sorry what happened to you I just wanted to share what I know regarding this topic. My concern is finding Haleigh!

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100428/ARTICLES/4281005/1002?p=2&tc=pg

James Werter, attorney for Tommy Croslin, said the sentence given to Sykes would not impact the handling of his client's case.

"It's different charges, different degrees, different score sheets - the whole nine yards," Werter said.

Attorneys for Misty Croslin and Cummings could not be reached.

Shoemaker and Fields were laying low but Werter had a comment. Do you think this means anything in terms of how hopeful the attorneys are they can get a good outcome? Tommy did face fewer years minimum sentence to start with so it may just to be expected that his atty is more optimistic.

Nineteen-year-old Hope Sykes, basically along for the ride, gets a whopping 15 years hard jail time plus a $100,000 fine, the family breaking down in court, then turning angry, going after the camera in open court. That`s 15 years hard jail time for just one -- repeat, one -- hand-to-hand drug sale. Croslin charged with eight sales. Eight times 15, people, 120 years behind bars, Croslin!

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1004/27/ng.01.html

Nancy makes it sound like there was a small scale riot in the courtroom. Was there or is she just dramatizing? The news articles tamely state that the family did not comment or "seemed surprised".

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1004/27/ng.01.html

Nancy makes it sound like there was a small scale riot in the courtroom. Was there or is she just dramatizing? The news articles tamely state that the family did not comment or "seemed surprised".

NG needs to due her research and take note of the real facts. Seems lately she just likes to over dramatize anything related to the Haleigh case. She mentions Hope's $100,000 fine which is incorrect. The fine is $250,00. As for the reactions in court yesterday I took at as if the family was in shock in the sentence and Hope's mother did not want to comment.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-04-28/cummings-cousin-gets-15-years-drug-case

Could be the judge included those charges with the trafficking charge. Another words she didn't learn and was just released January 3, for a possession charge. IDK if she was ROR on that possession charge..but she violated those terms of release...so, hardheaded, kept on with the illegal drug activity, didn't learn..so this sentence will teach her...JMHO

We have all heard it and probably said it:

That's why they call it dope

Hope gets 15 yrs and Tommy's attorney feels he will only get around 3 yrs. I don't understand why Tommy would get fewer years since it is said there is no plea deal going on. I do understand that maybe he has shared information regarding the Haleigh investigation and that could be the reason why he would only receive 3 yrs though. Still very very confused...

I went back to compare Tommy's record with Hope's and here is what I got. Looks like they both have few priors, much less than Ronald Cummings that's for sure.

"Snip" http://www.putnam-fl.com/clk_apps/crim_dkts/frame.php

UCN: 542009CO000052XXAXCX
File Date: 2009-02-27 Judge: JAMES L PADGETT
Defense Atty:

Defendant
CROSLIN, HANK T JR
Alias

Date # Docket Description
2009-02-27 1 LOCAL ORD CITN: #09-1334 (02-10-09) PCSO/R CLARKE

2009-02-27 1 PUBLIC ANIMAL NUSIANCE

UCN: 542009CF001653XXAXMX
File Date: 2009-09-14 Judge: TERRY J LARUE
Defense Atty: WERTER, JAMES S

Defendant
CROSLIN, HANK T JR
Alias

2009-09-14 1 COMPLAINT - PCSO DET. KEN TAYLOR (8/19/09)

2009-09-14 1 BOOKING NUMBER: N/A

2009-09-16 3 ARREST REPORT: GRAND THEFT (9/15/2009)

UCN: 542009CF002113XXAXMX
File Date: 2009-11-06 Judge: TERRY J LARUE

Defendant
CROSLIN, HANK T JR
Alias

2009-11-06 1 ARREST REPORT - PCSO D/S ALITZER (ARREST 11/5/09)

2009-11-06 1 BOOKING NUMBER: 09-4578

2009-11-06 1 POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

2009-11-06 1 POSSESSION OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA

UCN: 542009MM004232XXAXMX
File Date: 2009-11-19 Judge: PETER T MILLER
Defense Atty:

Defendant
CROSLIN, HANK T JR
Alias

2009-11-20 1 ARREST REPORT - PCSO/ LEDBETTER (ARREST 11-19-09)

2009-11-20 1 BOOKING NUMBER: 09-04807

2009-11-20 1 BATTERY DVR/ HANK CROSLIN SR

UCN: 542010CF000147XXAXMX
File Date: 2010-01-21 Judge: TERRY J LARUE

Defendant
CROSLIN, HANK T JR
Alias

2010-01-21 1 COMPLAINT - PCSO DET. T CAMPBELL (12/22/09)

2010-01-21 1 BOOKING NUMBER: N/A

2010-01-21 1 TRAFFICKING OXYCODONE

UCN: 542010CF000164XXAXMX
File Date: 2010-01-22 Judge: EDWARD E HEDSTROM
Defense Atty:

Defendant
CROSLIN, HANK T JR
Alias

2010-01-22 1 COMPLAINT - PCSO DET. L SMITH (1/19/10)

2010-01-22 1 BOOKING NUMBER: N/A

2010-01-22 1 BURGLARY OF DWELLING

2010-01-22 1 GRAND THEFT

http://www.putnam-fl.com/clk_apps/crim_dkts/frame.php

UCN: 542009MM002023XXAXMX
File Date: 2009-06-11 Judge: PETER T MILLER
Defense Atty: ULICH, KENNETH H

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

2009-06-11 1 ARREST REPORT - PDP/ MAST (ARREST 06-10-09)

2009-06-11 1 BOOKING NUMBER: 09-02372

2009-06-11 1 RETAIL THEFT

2009-06-11 1 TRESPASS

UCN: 542009CF001150XXAXMX
File Date: 2009-06-29 Judge: EDWARD E HEDSTROM
Defense Atty:

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

2009-06-29 1 ARREST REPORT - DS/JAMES HEATH 6-24-09

2009-06-29 1 BOOKING NUMBER: 09-02601

2009-06-29 1 POSSESSION OF CANNABIS WITH INTENT TO SELL

2009-06-29 1 POSSESSION OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA

UCN: 542010CF000023XXAXMX
File Date: 2010-01-04 Judge: TERRY J LARUE
Defense Atty: BEECHING, MARCELLA ANN

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

2010-01-04 1 ARREST REPORT - PPD OFF/HUSKEY (ARREST 1/3/10)

2010-01-04 1 BOOKING NUMBER: 10-00026

2010-01-04 1 POSSESSION OF SCHEDULE II SUBSTANCE

UCN: 542010CF000143XXAXMX
File Date: 2010-01-21 Judge: TERRY J LARUE
Defense Atty: BEECHING, MARCELLA ANN

Defendant
SYKES, HOPE A
Alias

2010-01-21 1 COMPLAINT - PCSO DET. T CAMPBELL (1/13/10)

2010-01-21 1 BOOKING NUMBER: N/A

2010-01-21 1 TRAFFICKING IN HYDROCODONE MORE THAN 14 GRAMS LESS

2010-01-21 1 THAN 28 GRAMS

"Snip" http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../27/ng.01.html

GRACE: That`s Hope Sykes in court just a couple of hours ago. Oop, did I say that? Yes, you said it, and now you`ve got 15 years behind bars. Bottom line, what does it mean in the search for Haleigh? What does it mean to Misty Croslin, who actually thought she was going to get probation?

Straight out to a special guest joining us, Jim Werter. This is the attorney for Tommy Croslin. This is Misty Croslin`s brother.

Mr. Werter, thank you for being with us. What, if anything, or any way do you believe that today`s sentence will affect Tommy Croslin, your client, and Misty Croslin behind bars?
JIM WERTER, ATTORNEY FOR TOMMY CROSLIN: Well, as far as Tommy goes, it really is kind of irrelevant. First of all, as far as the cousin goes, I don`t know, I haven`t seen her score sheet, I don`t know her background. I can say that sometimes your client is their own worst enemy.

That tape recording of what she was saying in jail, I`m sure Judge Larue sitting on the bench just kind of rolled his eyes back on that one.

But as far as Tommy goes, it`s a whole different case and it`s -- you know, he has probably a different background.

I believe my minimum mandatory that I`m looking at is three years. I have not gotten full disclosure yet from the state as far as the evidence. There`s still another count out there that I`m waiting for disclosure on.

GRACE: Mr. Werter -- with us, everyone, Jim Werter, a well-respected attorney out of the Jacksonville, Florida area.

Mr. Werter, is it true that you have stated that your client can ID the killer, the person that took Haleigh?

WERTER: OK. That`s incorrect. What I stated was that he`s, first of all, not culpable but he does know what happened that night. I had been repeatedly saying that I cannot discuss the facts of the case because it`s an ongoing investigation and I`d like to see it come to a successful conclusion.

You being former in a way law enforcement by being a prosecutor, me being former law enforcement and a prosecutor, I`d like to see a successful end to this. And I think Tommy will come out very well with this.

GRACE: OK. Wait. Now you`re saying that your client knows what happened that night?

WERTER: Yes.

GRACE: What happened?

WERTER: I told you. I just told you. I cannot discuss the facts of the case because of the ongoing investigation. When I am dying for an arrest to be made in this case and I could be more forthcoming. But right now I have a good working relationship with law enforcement. I`m going to keep it that way.

I have never seen Tommy on camera in the drug sting. Did I miss that tape?

Hmmm, I wonder what *wackos* is? I realy have a problem believing Hope was hired as a stripper.

Wackos is a strip joint, and is named after the patrons and/or the employees. That's my guess.

If Hope is a stripper there, I hope they keep the lights very low in that establishment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back