Huge Fire In Malibu (ca) *merged threads*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
News just reported that the fire is blowing away from Lake Arrowhwad and that it would take a major major wind shift to put Lake Arrowhead in danger.
Thats the first good news I have heard all day.....a sigh of relief.

Fire is heading towards Escondido from 2 directions- San Pasqual to the southeast and Valley Center from the east.

Oh, I think my SIL is in Valley Center, but I can't find my address book.

Well, obviously, the books will have to be banned from schools. Wonder if anyone out there will agree with me?

:doh: :D

Nova that cracked me up. IrishMist, maybe they should just throw all the books in this big fire and get it over with!

I live coastal and it is NINETY TWO here and so so dry. I can only imagine what it is like in these inland areas.

I really hope it doesn't damage the Wild Animal Park - that's such a wonderful place!

News just reported that the fire is blowing away from Lake Arrowhwad and that it would take a major major wind shift to put Lake Arrowhead in danger.

They just announced many mandatory evacuations, including Running Springs.

I really hope it doesn't damage the Wild Animal Park - that's such a wonderful place!

From news reports and our own KrisNine, the Wild Animal Park is basically a self-contained site where they pre-planned for brushfires when they designed it. It has firebreaks and a lot of open grassy areas as well as large ponds where the animals can go if the fire gets too close.

OMG Nova. I am dying over here.

Just trying to keep things in perspective, J. But seriously, this sounds really awful. Maybe the worst since I moved to SoCal 22 years ago...

From news reports and our own KrisNine, the Wild Animal Park is basically a self-contained site where they pre-planned for brushfires when they designed it. It has firebreaks and a lot of open grassy areas as well as large ponds where the animals can go if the fire gets too close.
I've read that they've moved out the animals (I can't see that being all of them - too difficult), and nearly all of the people. But that was this morning.

I have lived in So CA for 40 years, but until 2003 I had never seen such devastation as with the fires 4 years ago and this weekend. I know we're in the middle of a drought, but I don't know what has changed to make the fires so much bigger and more destructive. Too many people living in the back-country maybe?

Just trying to keep things in perspective, J. But seriously, this sounds really awful. Maybe the worst since I moved to SoCal 22 years ago...
It is the worst I have ever seen for sure.

I just don't know what to say~~~~~except everyone stay safe. This is horrible and I can't believe l can't find it on TV!!

--Well, its hardly the worst--The 1993 Firestorm in California was far and away worse than this one--390 homes destroyed, and many people died terrible deaths stuck in their cars while trying to flee--That was a horror show

TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - Raging wildfires in Southern California cloaked neighboring Mexican cities in a fog of suffocating ash on Monday, shutting schools and businesses and a major U.S.-Mexico border crossing.

The normally bustling city of Tijuana, just 20 miles (32 km) from San Diego County, where seven fires burned, virtually closed down as residents stayed indoors and those who ventured out walked around with paper masks over their mouths.

A thin gray ash covered houses and cars and blotted out the sun in the Pacific port of Rosarito and the city of Tecate, where U.S. and Mexican officials closed the busy border crossing.
"You can feel the heat of the fires from here. There's ash everywhere, it is falling like rain," said 33-year-old secretary Lorena Morales, who ran out to the pharmacy to seek anti-allergy medicines for her children.
The world's busiest land border crossing between Tijuana and San Diego remained open but many motorists sat uncomfortably for hours in the heat with their windows up and without air-conditioning to prevent ash coming in, witnesses said.
Southern California is in the midst of its driest year on record after rainfall just a fifth of average levels.
Authorities ordered at least 250,000 people to flee their homes on Monday because of the wildfires, which destroyed hundreds of buildings.

Oh I remeber. I had 3 sons living in San Diego at the time. I drov down from the OC and I made it to SD right before they shut down the 5. It was a nightmkare down there. I brought food and supplies to the boys there.

I just drove home and the N 5 is packed as far as I can see. It is all the people evacuating from SD.
It is a real mess out there.

Bean, son Peter just drove down from Orange County said no traffic at all going South. .............so I'm guessing it is people evacuating FROM San Diego .........
Where are they headed? I heard some Beach's mentioned..........maybe they just have relatives up North........... Poor guys. My niece live's in Scripps Ranch but left early yesterday morning. Thank goodness my sister, her mom in a safe area and SHE and family a place to go.

xxxxxxxxoooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Wow, Forum being over loaded I guess, so will post this while I can. I haven't been checking my email and when I did I had gotten this from a friend who sent it to all of his email contacts................this is affecting so many I know, just like in 2003!
ViewMonday, October 22, 2007 4:14:33 PM

We have a mandatory evacuation due to fire in Fallbrook. We are being send through Camp Pendleton to the coast. I have my cell, and will try to reach my brothers home in Sun City. Cell XXXXXXXXX.

Thanks,

XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads