Huge Fire In Malibu (ca) *merged threads*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Forum being over loaded I guess, so will post this while I can. I haven't been checking my email and when I did I had gotten this from a friend who sent it to all of his email contacts................this is affecting so many I know, just like in 2003!
ViewMonday, October 22, 2007 4:14:33 PM

We have a mandatory evacuation due to fire in Fallbrook. We are being send through Camp Pendleton to the coast. I have my cell, and will try to reach my brothers home in Sun City. Cell XXXXXXXXX.

Thanks,

XXXXX
The 5 North is a parking lot TG. There aer so many people driving up from SD it is a mess. I hope your friends get out safely.

They have moved the Chragers practice to AZ for the week. Alos I just read Poway is being evacuated.This is where a lot of chargers and baseball players live.

The 5 North is a parking lot TG. There aer so many people driving up from SD it is a mess. I hope your friends get out safely.

Of course I do too JBean, I would call them but I know they're proably overwhelmed right now.

I heard from my one friend who lives up in Running Springs and they will have to stay down here as they won't allow them up as evacuations are causing quite the traffic problem on those winding roads.

They have moved the Chragers practice to AZ for the week. Alos I just read Poway is being evacuated.This is where a lot of chargers and baseball players live.
Yeah I suspect they will play the game there too. That's what they did in 2003.
The DC10's are out with water! They are using them in Lake Arrowhead.
This is big!

Of course I do too JBean, I would call them but I know they're proably overwhelmed right now.

I heard from my one friend who lives up in Running Springs and they will have to stay down here as they won't allow them up as evacuations are causing quite the traffic problem on those winding roads.
traffic is a mess.

but the DC10's in the mountains will really help. If they have busted them out,it means they must have some wind break

Just to give people an idea....
1459_1_230.jpeg

eta:
Why do forest firest seem to last for weeks? Maybe because the little planes that drop water on the fires are tiny. Now that all changes with the DC-10 becoming the airplane of choice for the California Department of Forest and Fire Protection (CDF).
“In a first for fire fighting, the [CDF] used a modified DC-10 to drop fire retardant on a significant blaze known as “the Sawtooth Fire”. Three separate external tanks with a capacity of 12,000 U.S. gallons of retardant were utilized during the two separate flights by Tanker 910 so it could build a buffer of retardant between the Fire and the community of Big Bear while allowing ground crews to get in position to build a containment line. The modified jet is one of two new jet-based services which were vying to be the first to demonstrate their effectiveness. The jets are a new tool developed in recent times to combat the destructiveness of fire in the United States where annually there are 80,000 wildland fires which destroy around six million acres and cost US$1.2 billion in fire suppression costs. The true cost of wildfire is much higher as when timber, tourism and property losses are added annual figures run near to US$10 billion

http://tinyurl.com/27ulqr

traffic is a mess.

but the DC10's in the mountains will really help. If they have busted them out,it means they must have some wind break

Yes, they are making a sweep right now going very slow against the wind, haven't dropped the FC yet, but so greatful they were able to go up............

ETA: Okay, they're headed back to Victorville to refill

Yes, they are making a sweep right now going very slow against the wind, haven't dropped the FC yet, but so greatful they were able to go up............
did you know there are only TWO in the world? I had no idea.

The DC10's drop a retardent to slow down the fire. Doesn't put it out, only slows down and keeps more from burning.

eta: wow they fly back and reload in Victorville..only 10 minutes on the ground.

And it said they carry 50 tons of either water or retardent!
I guess they are dropping retardent because the "creator" said it won't put the fire out, but will slow it down and keep things from burning. Fascinating!

Water won't put it out either - not if the fire's got a good hold. Retardent is probably better right now. After the 2003 fires, you could see retardent splattered on the houses - an awful pink - and I'm sure no one complained.

Water won't put it out either - not if the fire's got a good hold. Retardent is probably better right now. After the 2003 fires, you could see retardent splattered on the houses - an awful pink - and I'm sure no one complained.

Yes, it was a mess, but so was the ash on our homes below the drop area. It took forever to finally get washed off............ugly stuff, wet the ash and it looks like graphite.

I guess they are dropping retardent because the "creator" said it won't put the fire out, but will slow it down and keep things from burning. Fascinating!

The plane was quietly developed by a company called 10 Tanker Air Carrier, of Victorville, California

The plane was quietly developed by a company called 10 Tanker Air Carrier, of Victorville, California
I have been lsitening to interviews with this guy today. Fascinating stuff isn't it? The price tag is worth it if it can cut down on some of this devastation.

IT is creeping into Whiting Ranch. For those that might recall, that was where bicyclist Anne Hjelle was mauled by the moutain lion and another cyclist was killed by the same lion.

--Well, its hardly the worst--The 1993 Firestorm in California was far and away worse than this one--390 homes destroyed, and many people died terrible deaths stuck in their cars while trying to flee--That was a horror show

Point taken, Peter. But I was talking about Southern California. I should have been clearer.

Of course, this one isn't over yet. Let's HOPE it doesn't compare to Oakland in '93...

Point taken, Peter. But I was talking about Southern California. I should have been clearer.

Of course, this one isn't over yet. Let's HOPE it doesn't compare to Oakland in '93...
Do you remember the one in Laguna Beach in 93? It was monstrous.

Do you remember the one in Laguna Beach in 93? It was monstrous.

I do. And I particularly remember the terrible Malibu fires a few years later. I lived in Venice and we could see them quite well, particularly after the cloud of ash made it completely dark by 3 pm.

They are preparing residents on base at Camp Pendleton to be prepared to leave. wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaterbox888