Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The projected track doesn't make sense to me. A normal hurricane doesn't go that wide and straight up when it hits land. Even the 1939 track curved when it hit land. Why would this one be straight?

My daughter works in Los Cabos, and she says that last night and this morning was a nightmare, with powerful winds and wild tides. Fortunately looks like the worst of it is over, and there were no deaths or so much destruction in the area.

I hope the same happens in California. Lots of water and wind, but everyone comes out unscathed . Be safe

Last edited:
The projected track doesn't make sense to me. A normal hurricane doesn't go that wide and straight up when it hits land. Even the 1939 track curved when it hit land. Why would this one be straight?
The jetstream is a bit different west of the Rockies, especially in summer. There is also high pressure over Utah, pushing the storm north.
Fall storms tend to curve east, due to the jetstream. Eventually so will this one, but it will go further north and then bring rain to Montana etc.

gfs_uv300_us_1.png

The humidity in Las Vegas is at 70%. My Mom told me she can't stand it. I advised her to go shopping last night and be ready to stay home. Apparently Las Vegas is not prepping at all for the storm.

Edit: I just looked at the Las Vegas Review Journal, finally. There is a lot of information.

At least, Lake Mead will get some desperately needed water.

Last edited:
The humidity in Las Vegas is at 70%. My Mom told me she can't stand it. I advised her to go shopping last night and be ready to stay home. Apparently Las Vegas is not prepping at all for the storm.

Edit: I just looked at the Las Vegas Review Journal, finally. There is a lot of information.

At least, Lake Mead will get some desperately needed water.
I was worried about Las Vegas. I think they will get hit harder than originally expected. My father was a meteorologist who taught me a lot and with thanks to FridayFan, the track still doesn't make sense to me. I see it more east long before Montana.

My daughter works in Los Cabos, and she says that last night and this morning was a nightmare, with powerful winds and wild tides. Fortunately looks like the worst of it is over, and there were no deaths or so much destruction in the area.

I hope the same happens in California. Lots of water and wind, but everyone comes out unscathed . Be safe
I'm worried about mudslides, wind and flooding. I'm not in L.A. but the number of homeless is huge! Hopefully there are more shelters open.

This is our Los Angeles ABC news channel if anyone is interested.
Thank you, my oldest and best friend is on vacation in LA to get away from a rainy Sweden to celebrate her birthday.

Thank you, my oldest and best friend is on vacation in LA to get away from a rainy Sweden to celebrate her birthday.
Well that doesn't seem fair. I hope they are still able to enjoy their visit. This really isn't a common event. We don't get a great deal of rain.
It's a bit like the old song here in So Cal. "It never rains in California but girl don't they warn ya. It POURS, man it pours."

Well that doesn't seem fair. I hope they are still able to enjoy their visit. This really isn't a common event. We don't get a great deal of rain.
It's a bit like the old song here in So Cal. "It never rains in California but girl don't they warn ya. It POURS, man it pours."
Her daughter lives there so it is not the first time visiting and she knows what to do.

Her daughter lives there so it is not the first time visiting and she knows what to do.
Oh goodness. I wasn't implying she didn't know what to do. I hope my comment didn't come across like that.
I've just always found those song lyrics amusing because they're so true. When it rains it pours.

Oh goodness. I wasn't implying she didn't know what to do. I hope my comment didn't come across like that.
I've just always found those song lyrics amusing because they're so true. When it rains it pours.
oh no not at all, I am chatting with her on facebook right now, it just a bit funny that she was escaping our weather and got right into your storm,

It's already pouring here in northern LA County. I can handle the rain but I'm worried about the coming winds. I have some REALLY big trees.
Strange, here on the coast, PV Peninsula, it's only starting to rain lightly. No wind yet. Warm and humid outside.Catalina Island is not visible right now, as it usually is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back