Hurricane Ida - Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
.IDA TURNING NORTHWARD OVER SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA... ...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE, EXTREME WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING CONTINUE IN PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA...
10:00 PM CDT Sun Aug 29
Moving: NNW at 9 mph
Min pressure: 953 mb
Max sustained: 105 mph

Well, well, well. We've had a catastrophic event in the City of New Orleans.

The power grid fell into the River.

Residents are not allowed back for 72 hours. Entergy texted power outages for 3 weeks.

Stunned.

Sustained winds at last update were 105 MPH. All of New Orleans is without power, except for generators.
Thank you! Just got the chance to turn on the WC. Between the flooding and the tornado threats, I can't imagine how scary this is for them. I live in NE Tennessee, so we usually get the rain/flooding from these types of storms. I hope our members and their families and friends are okay. Hopefully we can get some updates from them soon.

I am very much hoping that looting does not occur. I understand looting for food and water if you're hungry and thirsty, though I honestly would leave a note (will pay you back). And I totally would pay them back.
Acting like everything is now a free for all...because of a disaster, very much upsets me.
Sorry if I sound naive, I'm not.
However for me, we need laws and order for a successful society.
I truly hope that I don't read about looting. JMHO

Hurricane Ida wreaks havoc in Louisiana, leaving more than 500,000 without power
Hurricane Ida wreaks havoc in Louisiana, leaving more than 500,000 without power - CNN

https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans
Tornado warnings for parts of Mississippi. Ugh. My granddaughter attends Tulane and she and her house mates went to one of their homes in Mississippi. I assume she's okay but now I wish they'd all have gone to my daughter's home in FL. Waiting to hear from her...

Please update as soon as you hear.

More than 150 people in 'immenent danger' after levees overtop in Lafitte | wwltv.com

According to the Lafitte Mayor Tim Kerner, heavy rain and storm surge over-topped the levee, creating life-threatening flash flooding in the area.
(…)
He said that more than 200 people are stranded in the high water, but the wind is still too strong for rescue crews to go out on the water.

"There's not a captain that would agree to go in the water right now," Kerner said. "Trust me, we've tried."

Kerner said that as soon as the wind dies down, he has an "army" of people and boats ready to rescue the stranded residents.

Jean Lafitte Police Chief Details Catastrophic Flooding From Hurricane Ida: ‘This Is Horrible’

Jean Lafitte Police Chief Marcel Rodriguez believes there are at least 400 people left in the area who, for financial or physical reasons, were not able to heed the mandatory evacuation issued ahead of the storm. Sergeant Jason Leorwald said the police department is working to try to make a path to get to those residents and resources to them Sunday night and are opening search and rescue cases as well.

“They're scared because they've never seen this,” Leorwald said. “They've never faced a storm like this before. Our residents have gone through this their whole lives and they didn't think that this would happen.”

There was a heartbreaking interview on the Weather Channel. Family had stayed and their roof was questionable, but the husband had taken their boat to try to rescue members of their church. People who's lives were in even more danger.

Well, well, well. We've had a catastrophic event in the City of New Orleans.

The power grid fell into the River.

Residents are not allowed back for 72 hours. Entergy texted power outages for 3 weeks.

Stunned.

Is this for real? Not doubting, but I can’t find anything about this online. Do you have a link? It sounds awful!

ETA: I did find this, but it took some digging (googling):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...fa792c-08dd-11ec-a6dd-296ba7fb2dce_story.html

By early evening, Entergy, the city’s electricity provider, announced that all of New Orleans had lost power due to what Entergy called “catastrophic” damage to its transmission system. According to Jefferson Parish officials, a major transmission tower that provides power for the east banks of Orleans and Jefferson parishes, the heart of the metropolitan area, had collapsed. Officials across the area were also concerned about how many days or weeks residents would be out of power as forecasters predicted dangerous hot and humid weather would return to the region later in the week.

The power failure impaired the operation of the pumps that keep the city from flooding. The Sewerage & Water Board of New Orleans, which runs the pumps, released a statement saying its teams were quickly shifting to their self-generated power sources. As evening fell, residents across the city were reporting street flooding.

Last edited:
Updating my list of members affected by Ida right now:
@gnsndr33 (sheltering in place)
@DeDee (evacuating)
@Lilypad13 (currently sheltering in place)
& family of @swedeheart

ETA:
@TeaTime
@Tony1902
@Lato
@Teche
@LaLaw2000 (North Louisiana)

Hoping you stay safe. Are there more members here that are affected?
Thank you for this @Lexiintoronto! I'm up late watching the news. I feel terrible for those of you affected. Prayers for all of you affected by this monster of a storm!

Is this for real? Not doubting, but I can’t find anything about this online. Do you have a link? It sounds awful!
Power was knocked out Sunday night to the entire New Orleans metropolitan area with the failure of all eight transmission lines that deliver electricity to Louisiana's largest city, the utility company Entergy Louisiana reported.

One transmission tower collapsed into the Mississippi River, according to the Jefferson Parish Emergency Management Department.

U.S. President Joe Biden declared a major disaster in Louisiana, ordering federal assistance to bolster recovery efforts in more than two-dozen storm-stricken parishes.
Hurricane Ida lashes Louisiana, knocking out power in New Orleans

For an estimated 2,450 COVID-19 patients hospitalized statewide, many in intensive care units, evacuation was not an option.

A loss of generator power at the Thibodaux Regional Health System hospital in Lafourche Parish, southwest of New Orleans, forced medical workers to manually assist respirator patients with breathing while they were moved to another floor, the state Health Department confirmed to Reuters.
May God help them......

I am very much hoping that looting does not occur. I understand looting for food and water if you're hungry and thirsty, though I honestly would leave a note (will pay you back). And I totally would pay them back.
Acting like everything is now a free for all...because of a disaster, very much upsets me.
Sorry if I sound naive, I'm not.
However for me, we need laws and order for a successful society.
I truly hope that I don't read about looting. JMHO

Right now, looting is the least of their worries IMO. It’s the last thing on my mind while this hurricane threatens the lives of everyone, even potential looters. There’s a lot of suffering ahead for everyone.

Power was knocked out Sunday night to the entire New Orleans metropolitan area with the failure of all eight transmission lines that deliver electricity to Louisiana's largest city, the utility company Entergy Louisiana reported.

One transmission tower collapsed into the Mississippi River, according to the Jefferson Parish Emergency Management Department.

U.S. President Joe Biden declared a major disaster in Louisiana, ordering federal assistance to bolster recovery efforts in more than two-dozen storm-stricken parishes.

Thanks @LaborDayRN. I finally found something confirming this, but it wasn’t readily available (for me anyway) without googling. I expected it to be all over CNN online and this is all I could find, which wasn’t very detailed:
Live updates: Hurricane Ida path, Louisiana landfall and news coverage

All of Orleans Parish, including the City of New Orleans, will remain in the dark Sunday night as crews continue to assess the damage caused by Hurricane Ida, regional energy provider Entergy said in a statement.

All eight transmission lines that deliver power into the city are out of service at this hour, according to Entergy.

This triggered “a load imbalance in the area and resulted in generation in the area coming offline,” the energy provider said.

Entergy has provided back-up generation to the New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board but cautioned that power to the city will not be restored Sunday night.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddie_van
Back