Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We are hunkered down here in Fort Bend County (about an hour from Galveston to the northwest.)

We're not in the evacuation zone, we expect to get some strong winds and some rain, but no storm surge (obviously) and since it is predicted to move quickly through the area, the wind intensity will be intense but relatively brief.

The good news about it being such a big storm is that the wind strength might be spread over a broader area and lessened, instead of a more concentrated and deadly smaller core. That's good news overall, if that is true.

The gas stations in our neighborhood ran out of gas around noon. We filled up for the generator earlier in the week, along with other supplies. Today we did outside prep, tomorrow we do the inside stuff.

We appreciate all the kind thoughts and prayers and especially for our friends closer to the coast.

Whereabouts are you? My friend lives in Richmond off 762. Not far from the Wal-Mart by the country club.

I want to go get cigs cuz I forgot to get them earlier. My BF says wait til tomorrow. I'd rather get it over with. What say you guys? LOL I'll go after he goes to bed here in about an hour. He works at UPS and has to be at work at 3 a.m. He normally doesn't have to be there til 7.

Whereabouts are you? My friend lives in Richmond off 762. Not far from the Wal-Mart by the country club.

I want to go get cigs cuz I forgot to get them earlier. My BF says wait til tomorrow. I'd rather get it over with. What say you guys? LOL I'll go after he goes to bed here in about an hour. He works at UPS and has to be at work at 3 a.m. He normally doesn't have to be there til 7.

Get them now and make sure you buy a few packs. I am in the FL panhandle and it is blowing hard. This storm is gonna be a mean one.
ETA: Stay safe. Wish y'all the best.

Hot diggity! I know just where that is!

We're over off FM359 just down from HWY 90.

I think that overall, our area doesn't have much flood danger (other than right along the banks of Jones Creek or the Brazos River, the Brazos is not flood-prone even in rainy years, and it's low for this time of year. Unlike some areas in Houston or Katy that are just notoriously prone to flooding. Still, if it moves through quickly, we're in good shape. Temporary street flooding we can handle, just not repeated training like Tropical Storm Allison.

Mayor White of Houston was having a hard time not saying "Flee for your lives!" again. His hysteria was most of the cause of the Rita evacuation mess. My DH said that today he kept trying to say "flee" and then the weather forecaster for the news station would immediately contradict him with the message that if you're not in a storm surge area shelter in place.

There's no way the people of Brazoria or Matagorda counties can get out if all of Katy gets on the road! :Bicicleta:

I'd get those ciggies now if I were you. :xena_banana: The last thing you want is a nic fit in the middle of a torrential downpour.

I might just have to make a margarita fixings run tomorrow. If the texting goes out on my teens' phones and the wind is ripping off the roof, things could get ugly around here beyond my capacity.

Hot diggity! I know just where that is!

We're over off FM359 just down from HWY 90.

I think that overall, our area doesn't have much flood danger (other than right along the banks of Jones Creek or the Brazos River, the Brazos is not flood-prone even in rainy years, and it's low for this time of year. Unlike some areas in Houston or Katy that are just notoriously prone to flooding. Still, if it moves through quickly, we're in good shape. Temporary street flooding we can handle, just not repeated training like Tropical Storm Allison.

Mayor White of Houston was having a hard time not saying "Flee for your lives!" again. His hysteria was most of the cause of the Rita evacuation mess. My DH said that today he kept trying to say "flee" and then the weather forecaster for the news station would immediately contradict him with the message that if you're not in a storm surge area shelter in place.

There's no way the people of Brazoria or Matagorda counties can get out if all of Katy gets on the road! :Bicicleta:

I'd get those ciggies now if I were you. :xena_banana: The last thing you want is a nic fit in the middle of a torrential downpour.

I might just have to make a margarita fixings run tomorrow. If the texting goes out on my teens' phones and the wind is ripping off the roof, things could get ugly around here beyond my capacity.

Yeah, the folks in Katy need to stay put so other "real" evacuees can get out.

Regarding the margarita fixin's I have my bloody mary fixin's in place. Plus a couple bottles of wine chillin'. My BF just went to bed. I'm gonna run to Walgreens after Big Bro. Like you said one does not want to go through a frickin' nic fit.

Yeah, the Brazos is quite low so I see no danger there. They said on the news that one of the concerns for Ft. Bend Co. is gas. Mo. City has only 3 staions with gas. We are in Harris but we practically border Ft. Bend. We're off 59 and Beechnut by Braeburn Country Club and that Braes Bayou can get quite high.

hey Im in Lake Charles La and I just wanted to let you guys know that the officials here are so stupid its ridiculous. They are expecting us to get at least 80 mph gusts and they do not want to evacuate our parish. I think this is a huge mistake. We are staying and much of the town is but they keep saying they urge us all to leave but dont want to make it mandatory. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

hey Im in Lake Charles La and I just wanted to let you guys know that the officials here are so stupid its ridiculous. They are expecting us to get at least 80 mph gusts and they do not want to evacuate our parish. I think this is a huge mistake. We are staying and much of the town is but they keep saying they urge us all to leave but dont want to make it mandatory. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

Sure sounds dumb. Keep us posted on how LA is doing.

I'm off to get cigs.

Ike is coming to visit us, but not untill Saturday. It's breaking our hearts because of Galveston. That is our home away from home.....Praying for the people.

Back in 1972 I lived in Lake Charles. I saw rain there one time that was a downpour for 24 hours. There were cars bobbing up and down in the middle of downtown. I've never seen anything like it. I can't imagine living through 80 mph winds. I think I would just get out, personally. My neighbor is from Sulphur and as I understand it, you will be getting the dirty side of the hurricane.

They are VERY dangerous. They have a nasty habit of breaking in the middle and falling on people's homes.

Their roots are also so shallow it makes it very easy for them to be blown over....something I have learned well since moving into the piney woods....:crazy:

Again, good luck Kato. We always know theres a tropical storm/hurricane coming when we don't hear birds or bugs anymore. Some people say it's an old wives tale but I would swear by it.

I believe it. Right before a tornado hit within a few blocks of us...no birds, no cicadas, no noise.....except our dog going crazy.

Yeah, the folks in Katy need to stay put so other "real" evacuees can get out.

Regarding the margarita fixin's I have my bloody mary fixin's in place. Plus a couple bottles of wine chillin'. My BF just went to bed. I'm gonna run to Walgreens after Big Bro. Like you said one does not want to go through a frickin' nic fit.

Yeah, the Brazos is quite low so I see no danger there. They said on the news that one of the concerns for Ft. Bend Co. is gas. Mo. City has only 3 staions with gas. We are in Harris but we practically border Ft. Bend. We're off 59 and Beechnut by Braeburn Country Club and that Braes Bayou can get quite high.

Oh, absolutely, you're right in the thick of it in regards to flooding concerns.

I grew up near 59 and Beechnut, in Sharpstown. We used to wade home from school when the streets flooded, back in the good ol days when teachers just turned you loose at dismissal.

I really do just want to get this over with, right now.

Got my cigs. Glad I got gas earlier cuz the 2 stations I got it from this afternoon are out.

Their roots are also so shallow it makes it very easy for them to be blown over....something I have learned well since moving into the piney woods....:crazy:

I didn't know that about the roots. That's all we have around us is pine trees.

Just heard on our local news gas price gouging already. They said one place went up .30 in 2 hrs.

Oh, absolutely, you're right in the thick of it in regards to flooding concerns.

I grew up near 59 and Beechnut, in Sharpstown. We used to wade home from school when the streets flooded, back in the good ol days when teachers just turned you loose at dismissal.

I really do just want to get this over with, right now.

We grew up close. I grew up in Bellaire.

I have a funny. I didn't know if I would make it to the store so I asked my BF to get me some milk. I drink organic now. I wrote it down specifically cuz I wasn't sure he'd get the right thing. He said he chit a brick when they told him the price. LOL I love him but he's a tightwad.

One of our news anchors says they are confused why with a mandatory evac in Galveston that so many people are still around. They are walking and driving along the seawall even surfing.

He says for 1 thing most of them say they don't watch the news and 2nd they are young.

I'm gabbing too much. Let me go plant my *ss in front of the tv.

Hi KATO, I'm all safe up in Oregon.
But I'm so worried about you down there in the thick of it, and want to say to you and all of our WSleuthers down there, GET OUT OF DODGE!~

I don't mean to be melodramatic. I just heard the Anderson Cooper Report on CNN, and he said it is the strongest WARNING NOTICE given by the Weather Service EVER about danger involving a hurricane.

He said get out now while you can or you will die. Actually it is exactly what Anderson said. I read today they raised that island by Galveston Bay up 20', but IKE will have a surge well over that plus an additional 20' which is why once it hits, everything will be under water.

Major Monstor storm it is, and the only salvation is to get out of it's way to safety.

God Bless you all. Let us know how you are until the power goes. xoxoxoxoxo

http://madeleinemccann.org/tfm/images/sbar1.jpg

I am posting behind Scandi to reiterate the warning. Looking at a huge storm surge not the wind so much. Please, Texans be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back