I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Eagle1 said:
... how do you check whether Windows firewall is enabled?
Go to "My Computer".
Go to "Change a Setting".
Go to "Windows Firewall".
A screen will pop up telling you whether it is running or not.

Mine is running, and if I'm not mistaken, has been for some time. But I can't figure out how to find out when it was turned on, (if you can even do that).

By the way, don't be embarassed about not knowing this stuff. I don't know it either but this is exactly how we learn. If anyone laughs at us, they laugh at us. :crazy:

Eagle1 said:
The trial version was too similar in name and I guess path, etc., and I think I said before, I seem to have a little uninstall problem.
Is the program you're trying to uninstall active in the background? I believe that you can (will?) run into problems if you're trying to uninstall a program that is actively running at the time. If you hit "Ctrl" (Control), "Alt", & "Delete" buttons on your keyboard all at the same time, a window will open, showing you all of your active programs, applications, etc. (There might be other ways of doing this but this is what I've always done.)

You might also run into problems if one of the files in the program that you're trying to delete is a "shared file", and is being used by another application at the time.

Okay, I send email through Outlook Express, Didn't know that, or had forgotten it. Also what's Newsgroups and Internet Call-Net Meeting? Because I know I disabled local networking. Hubby has his own computer and may network with our grown kids but I just send them an email.

My Windows Firewall was enabled, and I'm trying it DISABLED for a while this Monday morning. The download Trial Version of a registryrepair wouldn't uninstall completely, to allow the Full Version I bought to be installed. It's not in the Active list. I guess it could be a shared file. I've emailed the customer service girl that if I can't get this to work I'll have to ask for my money back. Know any good registry cleaner programs? A Mighty Max introductory scan found about 500 errors, two of them supposed to be severe, and only THEN said you have to buy a subscription in order to fix, and still no price. Tricky, so I don't know whether to believe it. Anyway, I did another XP System Restore since then, back to March, assuming DST was in early April. Time Settings seemed to be okay then, but somehow had been changed by the time we started checking on this problem. Synchronization happens about every week, I think I read. Automatic. Supposed to happen but sometimes doesn't, a chat guy said before he got lost and so did I. It was crowded.

In Internet Properties, EXCEPTIONS, Websleuths is NOT listed, to add on, so I'm now reading about Opening a Port or Add Port. But that may be about networking. Ever done it? Mine's deliberately disabled. I can't remember exactly what kind of problems it caused before, it's been so long, but there was something. Maybe it was just that it required a Network Administrator in order to do the slightest thing. Maybe I didn't click Browse, just looked at the list. I'll be back.

I have a strong hunch that you'll know how to get Websleuths into that list of exceptions. It's in yours, right? Thanks, Jersy Girl.

Eagle1 said:
In Internet Properties, EXCEPTIONS, Websleuths is NOT listed, to add on, so I'm now reading about Opening a Port or Add Port. But that may be about networking. Ever done it? Mine's deliberately disabled. I can't remember exactly what kind of problems it caused before, it's been so long, but there was something. Maybe it was just that it required a Network Administrator in order to do the slightest thing. Maybe I didn't click Browse, just looked at the list. I'll be back.
I only have two Websites in my exceptions list, and WS is not one of them. I have been a member of WS, and receiving e-mail all along without placing it in that list. I would recommend against putting anything in that list if you don't have to. Since I was working all along without it in "exceptions", then I don't think we have to do that. Check into the reasons against opening a port, and then you can make a better-informed decision. I tend to be overly paranoid so I practically have my computer in lock-down, and have for over six months.

Eagle1 said:
Okay, I send email through Outlook Express, Didn't know that, or had forgotten it. Also what's Newsgroups and Internet Call-Net Meeting? Because I know I disabled local networking. Hubby has his own computer and may network with our grown kids but I just send them an email.
I don't know anything about Newsgroups & Internet Call-Net Meeting. Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on that.

Check the link I posted last night about Outlook Express. Maybe that's the problem for you. Since others of us are having this problem, I suspect it isn't but it's definitely worth a try.

Eagle1 said:
My Windows Firewall was enabled, and I'm trying it DISABLED for a while this Monday morning. The download Trial Version of a registryrepair wouldn't uninstall completely, to allow the Full Version I bought to be installed. It's not in the Active list. I guess it could be a shared file. I've emailed the customer service girl that if I can't get this to work I'll have to ask for my money back. Know any good registry cleaner programs? A Mighty Max introductory scan found about 500 errors, two of them supposed to be severe, and only THEN said you have to buy a subscription in order to fix, and still no price. Tricky, so I don't know whether to believe it. Anyway, I did another XP System Restore since then, back to March, assuming DST was in early April. Time Settings seemed to be okay then, but somehow had been changed by the time we started checking on this problem. Synchronization happens about every week, I think I read. Automatic.
When I open the list of active programs, I don't recognize about 90% of them. I have no idea what they are or what they're doing but as long as my computer turns on and behaves normally, I assume that they're supposed to be running ... lol.

I don't know if my Windows firewall was on before. I believe it was but I'd like to find a date just to be sure. Unfortunately, I can't find one.

As for a good registry cleaning program, I don't even know what a registry cleaning program is ... LOL! :D

Walk me through the steps to find out what programs are running. Is this after you click on Add/Remove? Hitting Ctrl, Alt, Delete scares me, lol. I have done it in the past and can't remember how.

Florida said:
Walk me through the steps to find out what programs are running. Is this after you click on Add/Remove? Hitting Ctrl, Alt, Delete scares me, lol. I have done it in the past and can't remember how.
Add/Remove brings up a list of software, if I'm not mistaken.

And I'm sorry to say, the only way that I know how to bring up the list of running programs is to hit ctrl, alt, delete. Like I said, there might be another way but I don't know it. Don't be scared. Just do it, and scroll down the list. Just look at it but don't make any changes unless you know what you're looking at. If you hit ctrl, alt, delete two times in a row, it'll restart your computer, (very helpful if you get frozen, and can't get anything to work).

Yes it brought up a list of programs, then I hit ctrl, alt, del and nothing happened as far as a list of running programs. I was actually looking for AOL Spy Zapper which I added back. All that shows is AOL 9.0. Last night in chat when I was asked what I had done lately, I mentioned the Spy Zapper and the Microsoft Patches. Spy Zapper seemed to be what most thought would be the culprit. I guess they don't break down AOL like that, it is part of the package?

Neither of you have Outlook Express?

Not to worry about me opening any port, Florida. I'm paranoid about this stuff too! And you're right that we never had to put WS into any Exceptions list before. I don't have any Firewall running right now, still not getting any emails, and you know there must be people posting.

I found the AOL chat, click People, Special Interests, and there's several tech ones, nobody in most of them and the first one too crowded. One guy was going to help but wanted a model number, which I can't find, and guess he got distracted. He at first said it's the Synchronization of time thing, which makes sense to me, that it doesn't always happen when it's supposed to.

Either of you have Compaq Presario, 8000 Series? Not that it has anything to do with our problem, just checking how many things are alike. If you do, there's no other name on it anywhere, including the tower, right? I got my book out, can't see any other name than Presario anywhere. So he didn't really know I guess.

OMG, I just had to laugh. Camper did try to post a new thread about her Email problem after last night's chat where she was asked to post about it. She can't get the post to post correctly. Poor Camper. Check it out.

Is there more information in System Information? I have an older Compaq Presario. I went to Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information and it says a Presario 68612, 1998. Would that help for you to go there?

There is a little button looking thing at the bottom of the front of the tower that says 5630 in black printing. Is this a model number?

That may be a model number. I think my "8000 Series" has a 5400 in it somewhere. I bought it as new about a year and a half or two years ago, and later found out it had 2002 on it. But it's 120 GB, so I'm not cramped for space like I was with my old one. Maybe I'll take a look there if I don't forget, have a list of things to do in my head.

I was just reading your post about learning WS is considered by some scanners to be an adult or I guess *advertiser censored* site. It didn't sink in the first time I read it. Hope you can get the other person to come here who's not AOL so we can compare notes.

Purgatory sends out email notifications, so I've asked Keebu about this, but in a thread she may not be reading. Of course I'll let you know if I get anything.

The things I have learned. I went to date and time and it says it was udated 4/19 at 8:01pm and will be updated again on 4/26 8:01 pm. I had daylight savings time checked.

I see on the Windows Firewall information, it says not to run more than one Firewall. I finally found what you were talking about regarding Exceptions. I have a few listed in there that I never put in there. One of them is something I added to this computer so I know it was not added by my son. I guess I'll just stick with my Norton. This Windows Firewall is new??? Was this part of the Service Pack 2 updates recently?

My computer had Windows firewall installed on it when I bought it last summer. Of course I didn't realize it wasn't activated until I found spyware & a virus on my computer & had to do a system restore among other things. Let me just say - was it you, Eagle? - turn that firewall back on, and don't turn it off again especially if you're on a broadband connection!

I do not have a Compaq. Since we aren't all on the same computer, and we aren't all AOL users, (Camper), then those cannot be the common denominator. Are we all using Windows XP?

Well, Camper is not on AOL, but her problem was different. She was receiving the subscription notices but no longer like she used to receive with all the posts listed in some manner. Now I never received that kind. So unfortunately it still may be an AOL problem. Sorry to mislead you that we were out of the woods with AOL.

I had two notices of Trojan whatever attempting to access my computer today. I would not go without a firewall on, for sure. Agree, Eagle should have a Firewall ON.

Florida said:
Well, Camper is not on AOL, but her problem was different. She was receiving the subscription notices but no longer like she used to receive with all the posts listed in some manner. Now I never received that kind. So unfortunately it still may be an AOL problem. Sorry to mislead you that we were out of the woods with AOL.
But if she's noticing any kind of variation of what she used to receive, it indicates that something has changed for her, too. That's what I was saying yesterday ... might it be that all of these little problems are just different manifestations of a software problem at WS, and that that problem presents itself differently based on our different systems, settings, etc.?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC
Back