IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My fear is that someone did something to him between the truck stop and where the truck was found .
I just question if someone either entered his truck surreptitiously while he was inside the truck stop, or had a gun on him and forced their way in, or if maybe he picked someone up, hitchhiking/ wanting a ride.
I hope and pray this is not the case!
That makes sense but I struggle with the motive.

They didn't steal the truck or the load, or the money in his wallet.

Was it a personal beef with him?

That could be. Maybe it was someone with a vested interest in the pigs. Perhaps they left the truck close by to make sure the pigs would be located and safely transported to the barn.
That’s what I’m thinking, they probably thought leaving it in the middle of the road would bring attention quickly. I’m still unsure as to how it went 12 hours unchecked.

I did read some comments on FB early on when they were looking for him and the truck about the intersection where it was found, but I don't believe I can post it here. I have not heard anything about whether the truck was running or had flashers, but in this article it mentions that the truck was sitting northbound on 71, which seems extremely odd because if it was heading toward Sac City, it was going in the wrong direction. It is also confusing, because if they are saying the truck was found about 5 miles north of the old Hwy 20 intersection, then there is no intersection right there. So I am wondering if they meant to say 5 miles north of new Hwy 20 intersection, even though technically Hwy 71 turns at Hwy 20 and then goes north again north of Early, IA.

These maps show northeast of Sac City, one shows 5 miles north of old hwy 20 and one shows 5 miles north of new hwy 20.

New hwy 20:
View attachment 463987

Old hwy 20:
View attachment 463988

Do you know if the road names have changed since the new Route 20 was built?

I'm wondering if what is now 71 north of Early was at one time a continuation of 471, and if what is now Union Ave. was once the continuation of 71. That might account for some of the confusion.

Idk, after reading some of the FB comments on the Sheriff’s page, it may be a bad sign not letting them search inside the facility, imo.
Since that could be the last place he was seen , seems they could get a warrant. Jmo
I don't think it's odd. The building likely has pigs worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. They can't risk disease and contamination unless it's warranted. These facilities take disease and contamination very serious. To prevent germs from entering the barns disinfectant is used as well as wearing coveralls and boots that are only worn in specific barns. In addition to that, most shower before entering the barns and before leaving. I believe LE would have requested a search warrant if they thought something happened in the hog building.

Last edited:
That’s what I’m thinking, they probably thought leaving it in the middle of the road would bring attention quickly. I’m still unsure as to how it went 12 hours unchecked.
I wonder if the truck was actually located on a different road just off of 71, a road less traveled. IDK - that would make more sense. I can't see how a semi/trailer full of pigs and parked like that wouldn't get called in for 12 hours on a hwy.

I did read some comments on FB early on when they were looking for him and the truck about the intersection where it was found, but I don't believe I can post it here. I have not heard anything about whether the truck was running or had flashers, but in this article it mentions that the truck was sitting northbound on 71, which seems extremely odd because if it was heading toward Sac City, it was going in the wrong direction. It is also confusing, because if they are saying the truck was found about 5 miles north of the old Hwy 20 intersection, then there is no intersection right there. So I am wondering if they meant to say 5 miles north of new Hwy 20 intersection, even though technically Hwy 71 turns at Hwy 20 and then goes north again north of Early, IA.

These maps show northeast of Sac City, one shows 5 miles north of old hwy 20 and one shows 5 miles north of new hwy 20.

New hwy 20:
View attachment 463987

Old hwy 20:
View attachment 463988
Yes, your map is exactly how I interpreted one early reference that mentioned Union Ave. Like he was so close to his destination, but turned right instead of left, either intentionally or mistakenly, or…

If it weren't for an apparent lack of evidence of a collision, I would wonder if it could have been something as simple as David stopping the truck to have a quick pee by the side of the road, and being struck by another passing vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle then panics and hides the body.

Do you know if the road names have changed since the new Route 20 was built?

I'm wondering if what is now 71 north of Early was at one time a continuation of 471, and if what is now Union Ave. was once the continuation of 71. That might account for some of the confusion.
Yes, it is kind of confusing, because several years ago they re-routed Hwy 71. So the highway that goes into Early used to be just Hwy 71, it would go west through Lake View, then north through Early, etc. They decided to route it east of Lake View, so it goes north (east of Sac City) and joins west on Hwy 20 and goes north again just outside of Early.

If it weren't for an apparent lack of evidence of a collision, I would wonder if it could have been something as simple as David stopping the truck to have a quick pee by the side of the road, and being struck by another passing vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle then panics and hides the body.
<modsnip - no link to approved source for statement made as fact> I’ve also been told by multiple truckers who haul livestock that they would never pull over with a trailer full.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I find interesting is that his truck was found near the drop off destination. If something happened to him while loading, would they have driven it that far? Why not go north into Minnesota or somewhere like that? I’ve been questioning everything since I last talked to his wife. That stands out to me, but from what I understand while hauling livestock the truckers do not pull over unless they have no choice. It’s to heavy on the roads and shoulders. I was confident that he didn’t park the truck, but driving his truck in an area where people would recognize it and see it’s not him seems risky.
I don't know what to think, but one idea is if it wasn't David driving the truck, perhaps the person who was driving didn't realize it would be difficult so abandoned it? But, then what??

idk jmo

New hwy 20:
View attachment 463987

Old hwy 20:
View attachment 463988
Thank you for the information. Can you point out on your map where the intersection of D15 & N14 is? I'm obviously not a local, just wondering if you would know where that is?

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
RSBM:

A search dog was used to look for David Tuesday, which had led them to his jacket in the ditch, but couldn’t go further due to the strong winds Sarah said. On top of the search dog, other authorities have been searching including a plane with thermal imaging, drones, and other searches.

Last edited by a moderator:
An early search advertised on Facebook was for the area around the N14/D15 junction, which does suggest that's the area where David's truck was found. In which case it might be worth reposting this link to the Google Street View of Union Ave. showing how narrow and desolate the area is:

I hope you don't mind me answering:

N14 is Union Ave. and D15 is 190th St.
Thank you, that is where I believe his truck was found. In a video at the link below, you can see the staging area LE used when they began the search. Just curious if any local recognizes the building/property location? I can't seem to screen cap it in the video sorry.

ETA - think I found the staging area LE used. It's very close to the D15/N14 intersection.

Last edited:
Thank you, that is where I believe his truck was found. In a video at the link below, you can see the staging area LE used when they began the search. Just curious if any local recognizes the building/property location? I can't seem to screen cap it in the video sorry.

This is a screencap from the video:

DS3.jpg

It appears to be this farm on 190th St:

So what I’m reading between the lines in the FB posts on his wife’s page and the SAR page is not a single instance of foul play seems to be suspected. No one is saying “we will fight for justice - David would never have walked out on his family” or anything along those lines. Nor is anyone reaching out to David directly, pleading for him to come home.

So what I’m reading between the lines in the FB posts on his wife’s page and the SAR page is not a single instance of foul play seems to be suspected. No one is saying “we will fight for justice - David would never have walked out on his family” or anything along those lines. Nor is anyone reaching out to David directly, pleading for him to come home.

If you're correct, that almost sounds like they think he took his own life. No foul play but also not asking him to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo