IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following this story since I first saw it on the news. Why do you think it may not be foul play? I'm really interested in your thoughts. Thank you
Hi there. Maybe you are referring to a post I made early on, because if I had to guess at this point - I do feel his disappearance is related to foul play. Not sure how or why, random or targeted, but he def doesn't appear to have left his life voluntarily, IMO.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm curious about why David stopped at a closed truck stop for approximately 16 minutes. Maybe he didn't realized it was closed or maybe he made a phone call or texting.
Good question. Someone had mentioned here that those rigs can hold a couple hundred gallons of gas. I don’t know if that gets added to a truck tank faster than it’s added to our cars, but it seems to take a good minute or more for me to add 12 gallons to my car. So could it take 10 min to add 120 gallons to a tractor trailer? That would surely account for 16 minutes. Wish they had said what he was doing during that time, if he even fueled up at all, or was sitting in the rig, or what.

edited to add… I think only the interior portion was closed, not the fuel pumps, but I could be wrong.

Sac County Sheriff's Office

Press Release
For Immediate Release
P.O.C. Sheriff Ken McClure
Date: December 9, 2023

SAC COUNTY, IOWA: November 21, 2023, at 2:23 PM, Sarah Schultz after learning that her husband David Schultz had not dropped a load of pigs off at Wieckman’s hog buying station in Sac City as scheduled that day called the Lake View Police and reported her husband missing after she was unable to make contact with him by telephone. David Schultz left his home around 7:00 PM on the evening of November 20, 2023. Schultz was scheduled to pick up a load of pigs in the Eagle Grove area and transport the pigs to Sac City.

At 3:04 PM on November 21, 2023, a Sac County Secondary Road employee reported to the Sac County Sheriff's Office that there was a semi-tractor-trailer parked on the traveled portion of the road at the intersection of D-15 (190th Street) and N-14 (Union Ave.). It was reported that this semi had been sitting there since early morning. Responding deputies determined that it was David Schultz’s. The semi was shut off, and inside deputies found David Schutlz’s wallet and cell phone. David Schultz’s driver's license was in the wallet. Investigators would later learn that nothing was missing from the wallet.

Over the next several hours, law enforcement searched the immediate area on foot and with a K-9. The Sac County Sheriff’s Office requested assistance from the Iowa State Patrol airwing unit. An airplane was dispatched from Iowa City that was equipped with forward-looking infra-red (FLIR). A state patrol pilot flew the surrounding area and did not detect a heat signature that would be consistent with a person. For the next two days, law enforcement, area firefighters, and volunteers expanded the ground search on foot and with the use of drones. Nothing of significant value was located.

Detectives from the Sac County Sheriff's Office and the Lake View Police traveled to the Eagle Grove area and with assistance from the Wright County Sheriff's Office, located the hog confinement that Schultz was scheduled to load from. Load crew members were interviewed, and load records were obtained. Investigators learned that Schultz had picked up his load but had been late to arrive and he was the last truck loaded. Schultz left at about 10:50 PM.

Investigators obtained video footage of David Schultz at 11:15 PM on November 21, 2023, at the MM126 truck stop east of Fort Dodge on Hwy 20. Schultz is there for 16 minutes before leaving the truck stop. He is then seen on a DOT camera on Hwy 20 west of MM 126 truck stop heading west. This was the last time David Schultz was seen. Cell phone data obtained from David Schult’s phone corroborates this timeline.

Cell phone data also shows investigators that Schultz travels across Hwy to the intersection of Hwy 20 & Hwy 71 junction. There was not any usable video from the DOT camera at Hwy 4 and Hwy 20, and there is no video of Schultz stopping at the truck stop at Hwy 4. Cell phone shows Schultz’s phone arrives at Hwy 20 & 71 at about 12:18 AM. The data shows the phone traveling north to where the truck was found. Data suggests the truck may have been there since 12:40 AM on November 21, 2023.

Video surveillance from an area business was obtained near Wieckman Hog Buying station. This video shows that David Schultz never made it to Wieckman’s. Law enforcement has searched for additional video footage from Eagle Grove to Fort Dodge but has not located any.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation has assisted with a forensic search of David Schultz’s phone. They have also confirmed that David Schultz has not legally gone through a US Bordering Crossing. Information was received that a person named David Schultz had a one-way flight from Minneapolis to Phoenix, AZ on the late afternoon of November 21, 2023. Working with Minneapolis Airport Police and the airline, it was determined after viewing video footage of the gate and receiving ticketing information, that it was not the David Schultz that is missing. DCI continues to assist in the examination of other digital evidence that has been obtained or requested through a subpoena or search warrant.

Over 100-thousand acres have been searched by the United Cajun Navy and many volunteers. As of the time of this press release, David Schultz has not been located.

Agencies that have assisted the Sac County Sheriff’s Office, Lake View Police Dept., and Sac County Attorney’s Office are the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, Iowa State Patrol, Wright County Sheriff’s Office, and Minneapolis, MN Police.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Sac County Sheriff’s Office at 712-662-7127 or your local law enforcement agency.

bbm

Knox, thank you for posting the press release.

A David Schultz flying out of Minneapolis on a one-way ticket late afternoon on the 21st seems phenomenally coincidental to me.

Yes, determined to NOT be our missing David Schultz, but wow.

I'm not at all convinced David was attacked. Not yet. There simply isn't enough evidence one way or the other.

There are so many reasons why David might have chosen to drive north completely of his own free will, and I don't think any of them have been totally ruled out.

Thinking out loud.

Travel north from the stopped truck, make your way back east to I-35, and drive north to Minneapolis airport, about three and a half, four hours away.

Doable, with help.

Yes, determined to NOT be our missing David Schultz, but wow.

Just catching up....but would someone be able to tell me where MM 126 truck stop is?
And do we know why LE didn't provide the time when DS was seen there?

(Sorry, as I know that some of you have likely covered this, but I'm slow!)

And has someone come up with a new timeline?

Last edited:
Just catching up....but would someone be able to tell me where MM 126 truck stop is?
And do we know why LE didn't provide the time when DS was seen there?

(Sorry, as I know that some of you have likely covered this, but I'm slow!)

And has someone come up with a new timeline?
Scroll back to post 859. Knox, and another member a few min earlier, posted the press release with details

I still find it strange that nothing appears to have been taken. It wasn't for the pigs. It wasn't for the truck. It wasn't for David's cellphone or wallet. It wasn't for cash, credit cards, or even ID.

The only thing missing is David, and that doesn't really sound like a typical random attack.

A targeted attack, sure.

My problem with that idea is that looking at the Hwy 20/71 junction, it doesn't look particularly easy to block the road and force somebody to turn the wrong way. My gut is telling me David chose to go North, I just don't have any idea why he would.
Still trying to catch up.
Am quickly reading the previous posts .... need Cliff notes, I guess.

Was David driving a load of pigs for market ?
How odd even if he was targeted for someone to do it right then, and not wait until he was driving his smaller, personal pickup truck or suv ?

Last edited:
Still trying to catch up.
Am quickly reading the previous posts .... need Cliff notes, I guess.

Was David driving a load of pigs for market ?
How odd even if he was targeted for someone to do it then and not wait until he was driving his smaller, personal pickup truck or suv ?
Yes, his goal that night was to pick up a load of piglets, young, maybe 10 lbs each, and deliver them back closer to his home location in Sac City. They were still in his trailer when it was found hours later.

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped> Another thing that just came to my mind. David's cell activity after he left the truckstop. It showed he made it to the intersection where he should've turned left...but he turned right, going North. I'm curious if he turned his cell phone off or if it ran out of battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so here is my timeline. (I'm sure someone else has come up with a better one, but I want to post my notes and thoughts here for now.)

7:00 - 7:30 DS leaves home. (Wife told media 7:30; LE says 7:00.)
9:50 arrives at EG. ( I made up this time. I presumed that the loading took 60 minutes. Wall Lake to EG is only 90 min drive. Did DS stop to pick up trailer or stop for dinner?)
10:50 leaves EG with his load.
11:15 DS arrives at truck stop at MM126. This timing makes sense based on distance.
11:31 DS leaves truck stop. (based on LE comment that DS was at truck stop for 16 minutes.)
12:18 DS phone arrives at hwy 20/71. This is only a few minutes slower than google maps predicts (42 minutes). So this makes sense.
12:40 DS phone arrives at place where truck is found. Since this spot has been described as 5 miles north of 20/71 this should only have taken 6 to 8 minutes, yet it took 22 minutes. Did something happen during this time??

If it was an animals rights group I don’t think they would have left the pigs jammed into a truck for 12 hours.

All our ideas are sound but they just aren’t hitting the mark.

What are we missing and why is LE so quiet?
In the end, many radical animal rights groups put more animals in jeopardy than they help.

I live very close to a mink farm where a radical animal rights group jail broke 10,000 mink this fall. The mink they released are dying horrible deaths, like running out into roads and being hit by cars, and being attacked by other animals.

Can anyone fill me in on the pay structure for pick-up and delivery?
I can't imagine EG releasing a truckload of "pork chops" without payment. Is the load charged off to Wiechman? Or to David Schultz, independent contractor? Who's liability?

I'm not at all convinced David was attacked. Not yet. There simply isn't enough evidence one way or the other.

There are so many reasons why David might have chosen to drive north completely of his own free will, and I don't think any of them have been totally ruled out.
BBM^

Can you share what some of the reasons you’re thinking are? I just can’t come up with any that really make sense to me, but none of this really makes sense unfortunately. Just curious as to what your thoughts were!!

In the end, many radical animal rights groups put more animals in jeopardy than they help.

I live very close to a mink farm where a radical animal rights group jail broke 10,000 mink this fall. The mink they released are dying horrible deaths, like running out into roads and being hit by cars, and being attacked by other animals.
I might disagree with you. But we each have our opinions.
I think it's better to have animal rights groups than not have animal rights groups.
That's not to say that the specific example you provided isn't true. And if it is that is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx