IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're assuming that the dogs tracked a scent going INTO the woods. What if the bikes/purse were coming out of the woods?

This is in no way scientific, but when my dog got older, and a little senile, he would, sometimes, try to track my son by going in the direction Jason had come from. It was the freshest scent, just in the wrong direction.

I am trying to find a good link for this but if you Google it there are tons of "Yahoo Answers" and blogs that talk about it. It's stated in numerous places that US Federal law says any phone has to be able to call 911 for emergencies. I need to find a good source besides "Google it" though. :)

There is a local group for battered women that has cell phone drives every year asking specifically for old cell phones so they can give them to women in potentially dangerous situations. I've donated several old phones that definitely didn't have numbers attached to them anymore.

Here is a link from the FCC about wireless 911 calls. Lots of info here about the current rules and new rules required of wireless providers they're phasing in (if I read that correctly) over 8 years.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-911-services/

What jumped out at me is not all phones are "location capable". They can be used for 911 calls, but can't be traced. So if you know yours isn't location capable, make sure the first thing in an emergency to give your number in case the call is disconnected because they won't be able to call you back. :what:

Like many in this and the surrounding communities, I'm torn between a few theories, and baffled by LE. Either they know plenty and don't feel they need further assistance, or they are completely empty and just hoping for some miraculous break. Given that there are still plenty of FBI working here, I'm leaning towards the prior.

The idea of the "staging" of the bikes, IMO, is our collective need to rationalize the situation along some television or Hollywood style script. I seriously doubt anyone would take the time to put the bikes at the gate, when simply on the trail would suffice, or near the lake, or off in any of a million cornfields within easy reach. I'm not ruling it out, but Occam is preventing me from focusing on it.

sbm

Sorry for my repeated multi-quote megaposts. Trying to juggle SuperDad duties while not allowing myself to fall behind by 20 pages.

:takeabow:

Invaluable info, thank you!

BBM^^

It was Deputy Abben who started THAT ball rolling...

Also, the misleading snippet about the phone not being able to make calls :dunno:

Abben declined to talk specifically about evidence other than saying the bicycle and purse, which had a cellphone in it, did not definitely place the girls at the lake. The cellphone was used by the girls to play games and was not activated to make calls, he said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_106642f8-d077-11e1-a859-001a4bcf887a.html

The house across the lake from where the bikes were found. 1218 Evans rd. It's listed. Empty. Has a small boat house.

The information is available, although I'm not sure how the name of the owners of that property would contribute to finding the girls. It looks like all the properties in the area have small boathouses ... which makes sense since they're all lakeside homes.

A few homes for sale on Arbutus in the area of Maiden Lane also. How many of those are also empty?

I'm really starting to miss Deputy Abben.

It's almost like someone's told him to be quiet...

He was a rich source of quotes in the early days.

“We really have no indication what happened other than we have two bicycles sitting down at a lake,” Abben says.
Boats and search parties were combing a nearby stretch of the Cedar River for clues. There’s been an ongoing aerial search of the area, too.
“The search has been expanded and now takes up probably about a five-mile-square area,” Abben says. “People on the ground along with dogs and then we also have law enforcement doing house-to-house (searches), making contact with people.”

http://www.radioiowa.com/2012/07/15/few-clues-in-disappearance-of-two-northeast-iowa-girls/

No cadaver dogs. Just sniffer dogs.

LE had evidence they were alive.

:moo:

LE on the dogs -

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said the reaction from the dogs Monday night indicated a "strong possibility" the girls had been at the lake, less than a mile from their grandmother's house where they were last reported seen Friday. However, Breault said because there were no confirmed sightings at the lake, authorities couldn't be certain.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_106642f8-d077-11e1-a859-001a4bcf887a.html[/QUOTE

Thank you - This statement kind of affirms my point about the dogs...that I believe the family has accounted for the "dogs running into the woods". I am not sure LE has ever confirmed that the dogs went to the waters edge, then ran off into the woods, etc.

Also I believe TB had said that the dogs ran to the water and then off into the woods and then the dogs were called back. In my opinion (pros correct me if I'm wrong) if the handler calls the dog back it's because they aren't "actively tracking" per se. I assume the call back would mean "let's try this again" or something of the like. What I'm trying to say is I don't see a handler call a dog off right in the middle of "hot pursuit" on a strong scent trail. Am I wrong? (professionals help:please:)

If a dog picks up a scent and goes with it, I would think until the dog gave a sign of "I lost it" the handler is going to let the dog go wherever it wanted to go.

stray thoughts I'm trying to tie together...

why would the girls head toward the lake with so little time to spend there? Although they're the age to test authority (wait - that's all ages isn't it? :floorlaugh: ) they seem like they're pretty good girls and didn't give grandma much trouble when she was watching them. All this beat the clock on the way to the lake is giving me a headache. :D

why would someone in the family abduct the girls when they knew the time they'd be missed was near? (if they were in the loop) Why not earlier in the day with hours to spare?

I think the perp would want the phone (if he was aware of it), the purse and the bikes far away from the girls to draw attention elsewhere. It worked. I don't think he'd throw the purse in the lake - it may not be seen quickly enough if it was washed up among the vegetation somewhere along the side? He needs it spotted quickly to draw the attention far from where the girls are.

Could someone in LE or former LE be involved? Wouldn't they know procedure on the steps taken in a missing/abduction case? What would happen first - where all the attention would be focused at the beginning of an investigation?

I like someone's theory about an authority figure pulling up, getting the girls in the car under false pretenses. They'd toss their bikes in the trunk so the girls wouldn't be suspicious as they are driven through town - not waving or drawing attention to the police cruiser. (do all LE drive the same cruiser daily? or is there a fleet they just pick from -not sure if that's a dumb question or not-lol) Then they'd drop the bikes somewhere in a safe spot, and hope that vandals pick them up and do the work for them.

If the girls were abducted along the shore of the lake - unless they were subdued by chloroform or something similar - perfectly timed by two perps wouldn't a scream from at least one of the girls echo across/along the lake? I think Ollipop said lake traffic picked up after the girls went missing? Wouldn't the young man fishing for quite a while there hear them - unless he was plugged in to an ipod or something similar?... :(

Just rambling for Elizabeth and Lyric....theories only, based on nothing but speculation and my inventive imagination. I reserve the right to change my mind as new thoughts come to me.

:moo:

:takeabow:

Invaluable info, thank you!

BBM^^

It was Deputy Abben who started THAT ball rolling...

Also, the misleading snippet about the phone not being able to make calls :dunno:

Abben declined to talk specifically about evidence other than saying the bicycle and purse, which had a cellphone in it, did not definitely place the girls at the lake. The cellphone was used by the girls to play games and was not activated to make calls, he said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_106642f8-d077-11e1-a859-001a4bcf887a.html

"The bikes were found on Friday on a bike trail on the southeast corner of Meyers Lake, along with a purse, but there was no sign of the two girls, reports the WCF Courier. A phone was also found near the bikes, but it was inactive and could not be used for making a call, although Abben said the phone should have been able to make 911 calls."

http://www.examiner.com/article/meyers-lake-draining-while-search-continous-for-missing-iowa-girls

Grandma said the girls would never go down to the lake and would stay within a couple of blocks of Brovan Blvd.

IMO this is a local person with some connection to the area of Brovan Blvd., but maybe living in the area of Maiden Lane or just knowing about Maiden Lane.

It all happened so fast, the perp was absolutely confident they could pull this off without a hitch I think due to the familiarity of the entire area.

Would really like to hear DH opinion about what she thinks happened (profiler on tv).

imo

Checking in on the girls as it is soon coming up to a month since they have gone missing.

I have no clue what possibly happened to the girls other than it appeared to have happened fast and just by the quickness of it, it would almost seem like a prearranged meeting IMO. Pure speculation on my part nothing more than speculation.

Girls it is time to come home.

Thank you - This statement kind of affirms my point about the dogs...that I believe the family has accounted for the "dogs running into the woods". I am not sure LE has ever confirmed that the dogs went to the waters edge, then ran off into the woods, etc.

Also I believe TB had said that the dogs ran to the water and then off into the woods and then the dogs were called back. In my opinion (pros correct me if I'm wrong) if the handler calls the dog back it's because they aren't "actively tracking" per se. I assume the call back would mean "let's try this again" or something of the like. What I'm trying to say is I don't see a handler call a dog off right in the middle of "hot pursuit" on a strong scent trail. Am I wrong? (professionals help:please:)

If a dog picks up a scent and goes with it, I would think until the dog gave a sign of "I lost it" the handler is going to let the dog go wherever it wanted to go.

If the dog ran into the woods, did it run from the purse to the woods, or did it run down the trail to the end of the double fenced area, then turn back west and go into the woods?

If the girls rode their bikes down the trail, why didn't the dog track the girls down the trail and back home? Have the dogs been used to track the girls from the Collins home? That would make more sense to me as it would hopefully answer the question of whether the girls rode their bikes to the lake or were intercepted somewhere in the area near their home. The only thing that is confirmed by the dogs is that things belonging to the girls (purse, bikes) were at the lake - which doesn't get anyone further ahead than they would be by simply looking at the purse and the bikes.

Because the owners to that particular house for sale has the same particular name as Misty's particular boyfriend.

Because the owners to that particular house for sale has the same particular name as Misty's particular boyfriend.

If the boyfriend of the mom has the same last name as someone that owns a house that is for sale, how is that related to the missing children ... and if you know the last name of the owners of the property, why do you want to do a search for the name of the owners of the property? Are you looking to confirm that the property owner's last name is the same as the boyfriend, or do you know it to be true?

Can anyone come do a rewind "downstairs"??

two things we need a rewind on #671 about 5:07PM and does anyone know the case# for the girls?
thank you!

If the boyfriend of the mom has the same last name as someone that owns a house that is for sale, how is that related to the missing children ... and if you know the last name of the owners of the property, why do you want to do a search for the name of the owners of the property? Are you looking to confirm that the property owner's last name is the same as the boyfriend, or do you know it to be true?

It's been confirmed that the last names are the same but unknown if there is any relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme