IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most teenagers would look odd riding a bicycle meant for a 4 foot 1 inch girl.

I'm not necessarily supporting the ditched/relocating bike theory, but I do want to say that the punk, flat-billed cap, trashy kids around here all seem to ride bikes that are way to small for them. They do look stupid, but it is so common that they no longer look odd.

Really? Im just alittle confused how you can quickly come to the statement.

Indeed, I can't see any connection between the missing children and the owners of properties along the lake. What connection do you see between the abduction of two girls between 12:15 and 3:58 on July 13 and the owners of lakeside properties?

I have another deactivated cell phone and when I try to call someone with it, it rings then a recording answers and says please hold for a customer service Rep. (This phone was a pre-paid phone. The other one I tried was not.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I have donated almost all my deactivated cell phones to a domestic violence program, which distributes them to women at risk. They use them to call 911 in an emergency.

I think most teenagers would look odd riding a bicycle meant for a 4 foot 1 inch girl.

Maybe not. I only say that because teen boys like those BMX bikes which are really small so they can do tricks on them. My sons friends used to want to borrow his little sisters bike all of the time so they could try jumping etc.

I have donated almost all my deactivated cell phones to a domestic violence program, which distributes them to women at risk. They use them to call 911 in an emergency.

Yep, I posted we have a similar program in my area. We keep an old phone and charger in each vehicle glove box.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Indeed, I can't see any connection between the missing children and the owners of properties along the lake. What connection do you see between the abduction of two girls between 12:15 and 3:58 on July 13 and the owners of lakeside properties?

I can understand the interest, from a sleuthing pov.

:websleuther:

I've been lurking occasionally since early on in this case, and wanted to catch up on all of the posts before commenting myself...but you guys/gals are too fast for me! Every time I finish a page (and I'm a speed-reader!) there are more at the end of the thread. So, I'll just jump in here if that's ok!

My thought is that these two girls, as others have suggested, were lured away by someone they had met on previous occasions, and with whom they felt comfortable (at least until things got weird, but by then it's often too late).

As a child, I was the victim of not just one, but TWO attempted abductions. One when I was 10, and one when I was 11. BOTH in broad daylight...the first literally occured in my own driveway, and the second on a busy street in the middle of town as I walked WITH A FRIEND on the sidewalk.

In the first case...the man (who was really only about 18 at the time), spent 2 weeks befriending me, "visiting" me at the park adjacent to my home every day. He first got my attention with his adorable little dog, Max, who was great at jumping to catch frisbees. This man put a lot of effort into making me think we were great friends, and that I was helping him SOOOO much by assisting in the design of the bandana that "Max" would wear in his next frisbee-catching competition. He brought me soda, he played basketball with me....totally unbeknownst to anyone in my family despite the fact that my front door was literally 500 feet away! This man, Mark, (he actually told me his real name...he is listed at the Megan's Law website...why?...because shortly after he tried to abduct me, he was arrested for raping/sodomizing some other poor child under 14 years of age that he managed to get his hands on), convinced me that we were friends. I looked forward to seeing him each day. In fact, I went into the park and *waited* for him in the mornings! The last day I saw him (before finding him on the Megan's Law website, that is), his car approached as I was standing in my driveway. He cheerily greeted me by name, all smiles, and excitedly said that he wanted to buy me some new markers for all of the artwork I'd been doing on Max's bandana. Hop in the car, he said....we'll go up to Newberry's (less than a mile from my home) and you can pick out the art supplies yourself!

I was a poor kid from a (very) broken home (even though we lived in a nice beachtown in southern California). New art supplies and a great (not to mention, handsome) buddy to hang out with was a dream come true for a girl like me. I took a step forward and immediately realized that "Max" was not in the car with Mark this time. For some reason, that terrified me, and I ran. As fast as I could go.

Had the dog been in the car, I believe I would have happily climbed right in.

Oh...and I *never* even mentioned any of this to my mother until I was about 35 years old. Just goes to show, that kids do some things we seriously don't understand sometimes.

The other incident was quite different, but it *was* an attempt by multiple men to take two girls at once, so I will describe it in a different post.

But of course, with my own history, I cannot HELP but wonder if anyone in the girls' families (or maybe even neighborhood friends?) might know if either of the girls had ever spoken of an adult "friend"...maybe someone with a "really cute dog"...someone that several neighborhood children might know of, but who has never been convicted of anything so wouldn't be an RSO. Or perhaps, someone who had ever "paid" them for cleaning their yards, bringing their mail up, etc.???

If they were "carried" off and they ceased to touch the ground, I believe the sent would stop.

Edit: But I don't actually know that. Just thinking that they have to be touching something (ground) to leave a scent

The scent comes from skin particles that float in the air, not sure how many inches above ground, but they are not ON the ground. That's what the dog follows, the skin particles.

Does any of our locals know about recent construction in the Waterloo area? Has there been any new factories or other places of work that would draw in people from outside the community? Does UNI in Cedar Falls have summer classes? Any community colleges? Anything anything anything that would have brought in people from elsewhere in the last year or so?

I'm wanting to say the perp(s) is both a local and a pro because the abduction has turned out so well for him/them. But its not like the area has seen a rash of abductions. This really stands out. The perp has come into the area, but has been around long enough to know things. Maybe he'll be moving on soon?

My apologies.
I will step out of this topic and let the experts give their POV.:blushing:

BUT.....
;) I know for a fact when Laci Peterson's body was DRIVEN by her
husband to the marina, scent dogs followed her scent
DOWN THE INTERSTATE TO THE BOAT RAMP AND THE DOGS
STOPPED AT THE WATERS EDGE. fact ;)

No, the dogs followed her scent for a ways down the interstate, but then they and their handlers were driven by LE to the bay, which was 90 miles from Modesto. They picked up her scent again at the dock.
It's possible that they still would have followed her scent if they were on foot, but they were transported by a vehicle, so the handlers had no way of knowing for sure. Scott had told them where he launched the boat, so they knew where to go. Not because of the dogs.

If they were "carried" off and they ceased to touch the ground, I believe the sent would stop.

Edit: But I don't actually know that. Just thinking that they have to be touching something (ground) to leave a scent

Humans shed literally millions of skin rafts a day (skin flakes mixed with bacteria, mould and skin oils). Being carried doesn't suddenly turn off the flow of skin rafts.

Could someone local please contact the Evansdale police dept and ask them to please be a little be more careful with the facts:

meyerssillypolice.jpg

I really don't think that Lyric is 5'11" ... and I have to say, carelessness in the description of missing person makes me nervous about how careful they are regarding the rest of the investigation.

http://www.iowaonline.state.ia.us/mpic/Controller.aspx?cmd=personDetailCommand&id=29696

Could someone local please contact the Evansdale police dept and ask them to please be a little be more careful with the facts:

meyerssillypolice.jpg

I really don't think that Lyric is 5'11" ... and I have to say, carelessness in the description of missing person makes me nervous about how careful they are regarding the rest of the investigation.

http://www.iowaonline.state.ia.us/mpic/Controller.aspx?cmd=personDetailCommand&id=29696

Yes, 4'11" is quite a different (and more accurate) height. :(

Ollipop, thank you for your practical approach to thinking about things in this case. I happen to agree with several of the things you said in your last post.

For what its worth, here is what I am thinking:

No boat, paddleboat, pedal boat or otherwise.

No pre arranged meeting. There would likely have been prior contact between the girls and this individual via internet, social media.

The fact that the direction that the girls were heading may or may not make sense in terms of them heading towards the lake is irrelevant in my mind. Children on bikes typically ride one direction down a street or a well known route, and then turn around and ride the other way. Sometimes they even make small circles right in front of their house or on their street. This would agree with what WC said about having only to yell for the girls a few times and they would appear. At this point I am thinking that the girls were never at the lake either. I am now thinking the bikes were ditched, not staged after the abduction.

I think a stranger would be bold enough to snatch two precious girls off the street, even if they were in close proximity to their homes. The perps may have noticed they were not under direct supervision, even with little time to observe them and assess the situation.

The most common thread I have found among various abduction attempts is the tendency of the perp to stay in the vehicle even after initial contact, and then quickly leap out and grab the children. The perp will be outside of the vehicle it seems when using a more elaborate ruse or lure, but will have a second person waiting to whisk them away from the scene at the right moment. This minimizes the risk significantly.

I think there are two suspects. I believe they are younger men, late 20's or 30's.
Perps stop to get fuel in Evansdale. They are not local, but are enroute to somewhere else.
Girls riding bikes.
Perps spot girls.
Passenger perp makes contact with the girls from window of vehicle
Passenger perp either lures or forces the girls into the vehicle.
Bikes go into vehicle
Bikes and purse get dumped in a place that looks fairly secluded.
Perps get back on the freeway and continue on their way.

Total time required for their effort probably no more than 45 minutes, likely closer to 30 minutes.

I just don't think perp(s) would go to all the trouble of loading up the bikes and then staging them later ... why? Why not just dump them somewhere else to wherever they were heading, why risk this in the daylight.

Also, how did perp get bikes to that location without being seen. How would they know that family members could have been right there at Arbutus and Maiden Lane if they had taken the path with the bikes and had parked in the path.

Just IMO

Were cadaver dogs brought in to see if they could follow the scent beyond the woods?

I have no msm source, so treat this as a rumour. I got it from someone in the local SAR group that I know.

Yes, there were cadaver dogs involved in the initial search. No, they didn't indicate on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member