IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no msm source, so treat this as a rumour. I got it from someone in the local SAR group that I know.

Yes, there were cadaver dogs involved in the initial search. No, they didn't indicate on anything.

Thanks for the info. I think it is very likely that this info is the "evidence" that LE had to indicate to them that the girls were still alive. JMHO.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-911-services

The FCC’s basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to transmit all 911 calls to a PSAP, regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

Thank you, thank you!! The button didn't cover it. :) I don't know why but I was having a really hard time finding that info on an official site. I stepped away for a little bit and you just saved me probably 3 hours of searching. :)

Could someone local please contact the Evansdale police dept and ask them to please be a little be more careful with the facts:

meyerssillypolice.jpg

I really don't think that Lyric is 5'11" ... and I have to say, carelessness in the description of missing person makes me nervous about how careful they are regarding the rest of the investigation.

http://www.iowaonline.state.ia.us/mpic/Controller.aspx?cmd=personDetailCommand&id=29696

And notice last seen at 12:05.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

We're assuming that the dogs tracked a scent going INTO the woods. What if the bikes/purse were coming out of the woods?

This is in no way scientific, but when my dog got older, and a little senile, he would, sometimes, try to track my son by going in the direction Jason had come from. It was the freshest scent, just in the wrong direction.

Dogs naturally tend to work from oldest to freshest scent and working dogs are trained to heavily reinforce this natural tendency.

I could see one dog making such a mistake but not two of them making the exact same mistake.

Welcome Aunt B! So sorry for what you have been through. Thank you for sharing your story.

Yes, 4'11" is quite a different (and more accurate) height. :(

This concerns me. No wonder there was discussion about some websites describing the girls as "missing women". They probably looked at the missing person website, saw 5'11", 145 lbs and figured that the age must be wrong. If the local police are so sloppy that they don't ensure accuracy regarding missing children details ... what else are they completely sloppy about? Solving the crime will be in the details ... but if the local police ignore details, these children will never be found.

And notice last seen at 12:05.

Would LE have asked businesses if they had video surveillance of their property's parking lots. I believe it was Mr. JP that came forward with Cornbelt Auctions' tape. He was not asked if he had cctv, he volunteered it.

imo

I just don't think perp(s) would go to all the trouble of loading up the bikes and then staging them later ... why? Why not just dump them somewhere else to wherever they were heading, why risk this in the daylight.

Also, how did perp get bikes to that location without being seen. How would they know that family members could have been right there at Arbutus and Maiden Lane if they had taken the path with the bikes and had parked in the path.

Just IMO

Leaving the bikes where ever the perps were heading wouldn't be a very smart thing to do ... it would lead some police straight to them ... but I'm not sure if it would help the Evansdale police.

I'm interested in understanding what happened to the girls but at this time, I can't see any connection between that and the owners of properties along the lake.

You know, if it weren't for Mr. Carpenter's report of seeing the girls that day, I would agree with this 100%. The reason I think he did see them is because he reported that LE came to his house that same evening (Friday evening) when they were out talking to the people in the neighborhood. So, I'm thinking that he wouldn't have gotten the days mixed up because it was the same day. Do you think he is mistaken about it being Lyric & Elizabeth that he saw? Just wondering your thinking on this because, if he didn't see them, then my alternate theory is that of two perps. who were traveling through the area.

Indeed, I can't see any connection between the missing children and the owners of properties along the lake. What connection do you see between the abduction of two girls between 12:15 and 3:58 on July 13 and the owners of lakeside properties?

Consider the paths the girls likely took, from the spot they were filmed down to that corner of the lake - over a mile away. Then factor in that the Carpenters BOTH seemed pretty aware not just of the girls riding by, but even of details ABOUT the girls, i.e. that Lizzie was chatty and friendly, because they were down there often. Why Lake Ave so often? What or who is on Lake Ave that they find reason to be near, knowing that they could travel straight down Evans, or either direction to the bike trail, to get to the same spot at the lake? Why take what seems to me to be a 1-block detour?

And if the Carpenters are seeing Lizzie enough to feel they can accurately assess her personality, living a mile from where Lizzie's caretakers assume she never goes, a perp could easily have had opportunity to see the same thing, to feel the same way. Then, over the last few days, another girl starts appearing with her.

Anyone living on their route, that they may have been interested in or known, would be of interest to LE, I should think.

Does any of our locals know about recent construction in the Waterloo area? Has there been any new factories or other places of work that would draw in people from outside the community? Does UNI in Cedar Falls have summer classes? Any community colleges? Anything anything anything that would have brought in people from elsewhere in the last year or so?

I'm wanting to say the perp(s) is both a local and a pro because the abduction has turned out so well for him/them. But its not like the area has seen a rash of abductions. This really stands out. The perp has come into the area, but has been around long enough to know things. Maybe he'll be moving on soon?

I don't know of anything really out of the ordinary. No new factories, a few construction sites in the area, etc. About average, I think. Sure there are community colleges, UNI, John Deere, etc. Also PFG Best was just exposed recently as a huge ponzi scheme.

FWIW, I have ridden my 8yos bike to school so she could ride it home and I hope :blushing: no one 'noticed' me!

JMO

Well. In the interests of scientific sleuthing, I think you need to post photos of yourself doing that. Coming and going.

It's all for better sleuthing!

Leaving the bikes where ever the perps were heading wouldn't be a very smart thing to do ... it would lead some police straight to them ... but I'm not sure if it would help the Evansdale police.

Actually, I meant that they would dump them along the way to where they were headed. The way TLM and MTR dumped the running shoes in the TS case.

imo

Would LE have asked businesses if they had video surveillance of their property's parking lots. I believe it was Mr. JP that came forward with Cornbelt Auctions' tape. He was not asked if he had cctv, he volunteered it.

imo

On at least day 2 they should gave been asking for all video. But iirc it was much later - like day 6 or something.

Thanks for the info. I think it is very likely that this info is the "evidence" that LE had to indicate to them that the girls were still alive. JMHO.

I really hope this is not the "evidence" leading LE to believe they are still alive because at this point it is very very weak.... likelihood of them being killed at the location of abduction is very low. Likelihood later, much higher. IMO

Welcome Aunt B! So sorry for what you have been through. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thanks very much for the welcome!

Fortunately for me, I was not harmed. I sure feel sad for the kid that man did eventually get hold of, though. And the fact that he is a free man walking even today is infuriating (he spent almost 20 years in prison).

Definitely hope that LE has asked around (or will very soon!) to find out if Lyric and/or Elizabeth ever spoke of, or were seen with, an adult "friend". Not sure if it's common in that neighborhood for kids that young to be out riding bikes around town unsupervised (that doesn't really happen much where I live currently), but if it *is* common in the neighborhood the girls disappeared from, then other kids in the neighborhood may have answers they don't even know they have.

I've been lurking occasionally since early on in this case, and wanted to catch up on all of the posts before commenting myself...but you guys/gals are too fast for me! Every time I finish a page (and I'm a speed-reader!) there are more at the end of the thread. So, I'll just jump in here if that's ok!

My thought is that these two girls, as others have suggested, were lured away by someone they had met on previous occasions, and with whom they felt comfortable (at least until things got weird, but by then it's often too late).

As a child, I was the victim of not just one, but TWO attempted abductions. One when I was 10, and one when I was 11. BOTH in broad daylight...the first literally occured in my own driveway, and the second on a busy street in the middle of town as I walked WITH A FRIEND on the sidewalk.

In the first case...the man (who was really only about 18 at the time), spent 2 weeks befriending me, "visiting" me at the park adjacent to my home every day. He first got my attention with his adorable little dog, Max, who was great at jumping to catch frisbees. This man put a lot of effort into making me think we were great friends, and that I was helping him SOOOO much by assisting in the design of the bandana that "Max" would wear in his next frisbee-catching competition. He brought me soda, he played basketball with me....totally unbeknownst to anyone in my family despite the fact that my front door was literally 500 feet away! This man, Mark, (he actually told me his real name...he is listed at the Megan's Law website...why?...because shortly after he tried to abduct me, he was arrested for raping/sodomizing some other poor child under 14 years of age that he managed to get his hands on), convinced me that we were friends. I looked forward to seeing him each day. In fact, I went into the park and *waited* for him in the mornings! The last day I saw him (before finding him on the Megan's Law website, that is), his car approached as I was standing in my driveway. He cheerily greeted me by name, all smiles, and excitedly said that he wanted to buy me some new markers for all of the artwork I'd been doing on Max's bandana. Hop in the car, he said....we'll go up to Newberry's (less than a mile from my home) and you can pick out the art supplies yourself!

I was a poor kid from a (very) broken home (even though we lived in a nice beachtown in southern California). New art supplies and a great (not to mention, handsome) buddy to hang out with was a dream come true for a girl like me. I took a step forward and immediately realized that "Max" was not in the car with Mark this time. For some reason, that terrified me, and I ran. As fast as I could go.

Had the dog been in the car, I believe I would have happily climbed right in.

Oh...and I *never* even mentioned any of this to my mother until I was about 35 years old. Just goes to show, that kids do some things we seriously don't understand sometimes.

The other incident was quite different, but it *was* an attempt by multiple men to take two girls at once, so I will describe it in a different post.

But of course, with my own history, I cannot HELP but wonder if anyone in the girls' families (or maybe even neighborhood friends?) might know if either of the girls had ever spoken of an adult "friend"...maybe someone with a "really cute dog"...someone that several neighborhood children might know of, but who has never been convicted of anything so wouldn't be an RSO. Or perhaps, someone who had ever "paid" them for cleaning their yards, bringing their mail up, etc.???

Just want to say thank you for sharing your personal story and that I am so glad your gut instinct kicked into high gear and you did not get in the car with that evil man!

Well. In the interests of scientific sleuthing, I think you need to post photos of yourself doing that. Coming and going.

It's all for better sleuthing!

It was on Facebook recently, entitled "Caption This." Right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member