IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

That video...did they ever find the perp? Very scary! It is a good example of how brazen someone can be when they are bent on taking a child. It also reminds us how fast it can happen even in daylight. A third thing it reminds us is, witnesses can be mistaken in what they think they see. LE says it is a Nissan or Mitsubishi when the car is clearly a Chevy Cavalier. Year range was right but not make. The front spoiler and rear brake lights give it away. Makes me worry that witnesses in the girls' disappearance may have remembered incorrectly. :banghead:

While obvious....here a few things if we knew (without actually knowing precisely 'who') would be extremely helpful...feel free to make additions.

1.) The specific time Mr. C saw the girls...probably LE has that info.
2.) Video of the entire surveillance of girls riding bikes...not just the 15 sec. snippet
3.) specific placement of bikes. including direction they were facing
4.) what evidence was sent to DCI crime lab in Ankeny, IA
5.) others??

That video...did they ever find the perp? Very scary! It is a good example of how brazen someone can be when they are bent on taking a child. It also reminds us how fast it can happen even in daylight. A third thing it reminds us is, witnesses can be mistaken in what they think they see. LE says it is a Nissan or Mitsubishi when the car is clearly a Chevy Cavalier. Year range was right but not make. The front spoiler and rear brake lights give it away. Makes me worry that witnesses in the girls' disappearance may have remembered incorrectly. :banghead:

Yes..remembering what you see so quickly is really tricky. I read once that often if someone thinks they saw a red car, they tend to remember the complementary color, green, so you have to check both colors. Dealing with black and white may not have the same problem, of course. Same with clothing, green shirt, could be red. It is like staring at a color then look at a white sheet of paper and you see the opposite color. MOO

Thanks to Dotr, for posting that video...our local news station is from Philly....wanted to post, but couldn't find a clear video....

The perp ended up turning himself in after seeing that clip over and over again on local media...

So frightening in plain daylight on reasonably busy street...the little girl said she learned escape tactics from watching CSI-SVU, and she had never heard her little 2 year old brother scream that loud...

I learned yesterday that photos taken with the iphone have a built in GPS code. I don't know if there is anywhere in this case that could apply..but if a perp sends a pic taken with one, they can track where the pic was taken. MOO

Different reports from different parts of the country starting a few months ago, some snippets....

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/...nnected_to_Attempted_Abduction_144430195.html

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Kanawha County Sheriff's deputies say they're now looking into roughly 10 child abduction attempts in the area.

"The latest was reported in the Cedar Grove area a couple of days ago.
Deputies say the suspect was driving a black full-size Chevy truck when he approached a young boy and girl, but they both were able to get away"

Investigators are stepping up the search to find a man in his 50s or 60s with balding grey hair, one eye that's only partially open and a "pot belly". They say he's driving a white cargo style van looking for young victims.

"There's a huge outpouring of calls that we've received involving white vans," Lt. Sean Crosier said. "This particular offender, you know he's experiencing some very strong urges to have an encounter with a teenage girl."

In fact, WSAZ.com spotted nearly three white mini or cargo style vans practically every minute. In just 12 seconds, we found five vans passing in and out of the Capital City.

Investigators say there's no distance these types of predators will not travel, which is why they say we've seen abductions in other counties".

"

I find this interesting and this makes me believe that there is a connection with all these white van incidents.

I made this video of one of the suggested possible routes. After making this, it seems so far away no matter what route. I have always been going with the theory that they were taken at the lake right where the bikes were found, but it is seems so far for someone to bike to when they knew they had to leave with Grandma at a set time.

http://youtu.be/crlOUuYl7pE

evansRoute mp4only - YouTube

Maybe, but I'd still like to know why they are looking at surveillance tape only a few blocks from the lake 1.5 hours after the assumed abduction time.

I still feel like we are missing a big piece to this puzzle.

MOO
They probably want to look at any surveillance they can between 12:15 and 4 PM.
Thanks. Since the land is private property, perhaps there was a requirement to install an access gate when the fence was added to the trail. Since it was locked, I doubt it was used in connection with the abduction of the girls.

I may be wrong, but don't think the property is private I think it belongs to the Parks Dept, imo, but that new gate find is a quandary to me. Was it unlocked on the 13th also? Wonder if Ollipop would take a pic? ;)

LE claimed they were not asking to interview him due to the white van...some other reason. MOO

And, IIRC, the next day they said, yes it was because of the white van. And, that the 'white van' attempted abduction of the 5 year old boy lead them to be looking at video for white vans.
Yep, your both correct, the MSM had both reasons. Because of the timing, I tend to believe it was for the van and then LE took the opportunity to ask questions of anything he may seen regarding the girls. IMO

BBM
Probably the bathroom in the park wasn't on his regular path around the lake and out. Maybe the one at Casey's was just more convenient. IIRC he said circling the lake is part of a ride he does often.
Interesting. If he does this, and he normally rides up the River Forest trail, then he may make a right on Lafayette or another side street to hook up to the E'dale trail off of Layfayette to head back south. ? Gee, that puts him in the exact same area of girls riding and possible routes they took. Hmmmm, wonder if could have seen anything hinky?
You could ask Van Man to join us, it wouldn't hurt.

Re: why TG didn't use the bathroom in the park, I figured he wanted to bike X number of miles that day and didn't go to the bathroom until he was done.
Against TOS to contact players in the investigation. Very good policy, imo. Mods, if this has been changed, please delete.

Is that the Casey's that they checked on cash receipts? Is that where CC works? One think it does indicate is that he was probably traveling from E to W. I wonder if the cell phone triangulation includes both Casey's and the trail. PS. I don't think he's the perp, but his timeline is so interesting.

Also Jaime..

1) Maybe he wanted to buy something to drink
Maybe he didn't need the WC until he got up that way

2) Or maybe using the phone

3) Yes, that would be interesting indeed.

Re: FB, he has friends who have friends in the area..I would guess MOO

It would seem unlikely he would be involved because his transportation was bike, but no one has been ruled out. Plus LE acting as tho he was invisible in the case, yet not clearing him certainly makes me more curious.

Agree, I'd much rather use Casey's WC, lol, than a park bathroom and he could have also made purchases.

I wonder if ICE had an ongoing, predator(s) specific investigation in underway in the Evansdale/Waterloo area prior to the disappearance of L & E ? If this particular abduction fits the profile of a predator/group of predators of which LE is already aware, that could explain why they feel the girls are still alive ? Predators who abduct for the purposes of creating/procuring illegal p*rn typically like to keep their victims alive.

Here is one link follow up to that abduction attempt, the Mayor and LE from Philly were very visible and vocal in local media...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/1...empted-kidnapping-10-year-old-caught-on-tape/

Good catch for vehicle make, also noticed white car pulled alongside white fence, blocks not just view, but all the white blends together. Perp leaves car where it is then follows after kids. Clip says 2 year old brother crying may have stopped the attack.

Here is one link follow up to that abduction attempt, the Mayor and LE from Philly were very visible and vocal in local media...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/1...empted-kidnapping-10-year-old-caught-on-tape/

Noting this, and wondering if perp in cousins, L and E case, had car doors trunk, left open..

"Authorities said the man followed the children, leaving his car door open with the apparent intention of dragging the girl to the vehicle"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/19/police-hunt-suspect-after-attempted-kidnapping-10-year-old-caught-on-tape/#ixzz23MVAO2Sb"

Thanks to Dotr, for posting that video...our local news station is from Philly....wanted to post, but couldn't find a clear video....

The perp ended up turning himself in after seeing that clip over and over again on local media...

So frightening in plain daylight on reasonably busy street...the little girl said she learned escape tactics from watching CSI-SVU, and she had never heard her little 2 year old brother scream that loud...

Did MSM interview her? I'll search to see if I can find it. I remember reading or hearing he turned him self in. The 2 yo screaming so loudly was the turning point, imo. That's why it irritates me when sometimes children playing let out a blood curdling scream. I had a neighbor whose daughter would do this and wished she'd have told her not to do that except if in danger. Scared me to death the first couple of times she did it and I ran outside. If she would have been in trouble after that I wouldn't have responded..just thinking she was playing.

I made this video of one of the suggested possible routes. After making this, it seems so far away no matter what route. I have always been going with the theory that they were taken at the lake right where the bikes were found, but it is seems so far for someone to bike to when they knew they had to leave with Grandma at a set time.

http://youtu.be/crlOUuYl7pE

evansRoute mp4only - YouTube

Fantastic! TYSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics