IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ted Gamerdinger rides a long way, from his home in Waterloo to the lake often.

I don't know what kind of vehicle TG has (hopefully not a white van:what:), but maybe he parks his vehicle at Casey's, takes out his bike, rides to the lake, rides back to Casey's, puts his bike back in his vehicle and drives home.

Hmm.. apparently I'm in a look up old articles mood. :) I just found this one again:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/article_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

And a couple of things stood out:

- 4 p.m. - The girls' bikes are located along the bike trail on the southeast corner of Meyers Lake by an Evansdale firefighter. Elizabeth's purse, which contained a cell phone, was found nearby. [For those less "directionally challenged" than myself or those who have been to the lake, is this where we've been thinking they were? By the unlocked double gate?]

- “We have no theories,” Misty Morrissey said. “Trying to remain positive, we have no idea. We are pretty confident that they aren’t around here.” [huh.. they have no idea but are pretty confident they aren't around there? I never noticed that quote til now.]

- Includes pic of Ted G. talking with the off duty officers.

(Also the fact that they seriously need to hire a proofreader! But it is MSM and I think it's relatively trustworthy).

One more article:
http://www.kcrg.com/evansdaledisapp...nown-Sighting-of-Missing-Girls-163897346.html

- Ted Gamerdinger of Waterloo, a bicyclist who said he often rides the Evansdale Nature Trail, has previously told The Courier he saw the two kids’ bikes on the trail at about 12:20 p.m., but no sign of the children. [Interestingly enough the cached versions of the page show a quote that he "had to swerve to miss the bikes" but the newest updated version of the article doesn't state that info about him having to swerve, just that he saw the bikes.]

Hmm.. apparently I'm in a look up old articles mood. :) I just found this one again:

- 4 p.m. - The girls' bikes are located along the bike trail on the southeast corner of Meyers Lake by an Evansdale firefighter. Elizabeth's purse, which contained a cell phone, was found nearby. [For those less "directionally challenged" than myself or those who have been to the lake, is this where we've been thinking they were? By the unlocked double gate?]

- “We have no theories,” Misty Morrissey said. “Trying to remain positive, we have no idea. We are pretty confident that they aren’t around here.” [huh.. they have no idea but are pretty confident they aren't around there? I never noticed that quote til now.]

(Also the fact that they seriously need to hire a proofreader! But it is MSM and I think it's relatively trustworthy).

One more article:
http://www.kcrg.com/evansdaledisapp...nown-Sighting-of-Missing-Girls-163897346.html

- Ted Gamerdinger of Waterloo, a bicyclist who said he often rides the Evansdale Nature Trail, has previously told The Courier he saw the two kids’ bikes on the trail at about 12:20 p.m., but no sign of the children. [Interestingly enough the cached versions of the page show a quote that he "had to swerve to miss the bikes" but the newest updated version of the article doesn't state that info about him having to swerve, just that he saw the bikes.]

Hmmm...MBB

2 interesting things

Yes, she did state that publically. No, I don't have a link to prove it. Sorry!

I still believe that Grandma reported seeing the girls around 12:15 BEFORE either of the two-that-are-really-just-one videos were released.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120813/NEWS01/308130021/1019/SPORTS08/?odyssey=nav|head

"Their grandmother last saw the girls riding their bikes shortly after noon on July 13, and a firefighter found their bikes along a recreational trail at a nearby lake about four hours later."

BBM

I know there have been different times mentioned - Grandma originally said she last saw them at 11:30 and then later said 12:15, IIRC. The article linked above is from August 12, and it says "shortly after noon".

One more article:

Can't bold, but wonder why the change in quote about swerving?

Especially if it was someone they knew or trusted. Even if they barely knew the person, girls that age are pretty trusting and naive. It could have been the father or uncle of one of their friends or someone who worked at the mini-mart or someone who they used to see biking or fishing at the lake. Or even, god forbid, a neighbor or family friend.

The more I read, the more I'm convinced it had to be someone they knew. Maybe even someone they were "hanging out" with at the lake when Mr. G. rode by, before things went wrong.

Hi, Adair! I'm so glad you shared this info. about the rain. We all have discussed the rain that day in the past as some have wondered why Mr. Carpenter was watering his lawn when it had just rained that morning. Someone from the local area posted that it did rain but that the rain was very light and only lasted a short time. What do you think about that? Was there so much rain in Evansdale that it would be odd to water the lawn? I don't mean to put you on the spot, I just know we have all wondered about that a good abit.

Yes! I have to say it did rain a lot, all night and that morning. I live about 2 miles East of the Collins home, so I doubt they received less rain than I did! I would not water my lawn after the rain we received, but we have been in a drought, and well, I know how some people are about their lawns, so I assume it could happen.

Why hasn't Grandma stated that publicly? Or did she, and I missed it?

I don't think they went back home. Maybe rode back by the house, but they didn't stop at home. According to the People article the girls poured themselves cold glasses of V8 Splash, left them on the counter, then went out riding and never came to get their drinks. Sorry no link yet, it's in the hard copy article. I'm hoping they post it soon.

As an aside I think it makes no sense for kids to pour themselves cold glasses of juice then leave them out to get warm while they went out bike riding. Between that and some other inconsistencies in the article I don't know how accurate this report is, but I do think the girls never returned home after they went out riding some time between 11:30 and 12.

One more article:

The things that make you go hmmmm....I just noticed the bicyclist is on the bike trail. Has it been discussed if he was showing LE where he saw the bikes when the picture was taken? There is a second picture with the bicyclist facing the camera here: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/...yric Cook-Morrissey -IA-/071612bicyclist.jpg It was also published by the Courier, but I cannot find this picture in the collection at the Courier now. It looks like they could be at a blind curve. :moo: Apologies if this has been discussed.

I don't think they went back home. Maybe rode back by the house, but they didn't stop at home. According to the People article the girls poured themselves cold glasses of V8 Splash, left them on the counter, then went out riding and never came to get their drinks. Sorry no link yet, it's in the hard copy article. I'm hoping they post it soon.

As an aside I think it makes no sense for kids to pour themselves cold glasses of juice then leave them out to get warm while they went out bike riding. Between that and some other inconsistencies in the article I don't know how accurate this report is, but I do think the girls never returned home after they went out riding some time between 11:30 and 12.

That is weird. I have never seen anything anywhere that said they returned and then left again. Gma did say they usually ride around and come back for a drink and they hadn't and that is why she was looking for them initially...and she is the one that mentioned V-8. Maybe she left that part out when talking to other reporters (that they had already poured drinks) Perhaps something different was said to the person reporting and writing the article. They need to fact check before they publish, so maybe they did. This story just never stops morphing..

Exactly. I think they hung out with the perp earlier that day and were invited to do something very tempting. [ horses, puppies, ice cream, swimming pool, etc]

They were told to meet at the lakeside trail at 12:30 and not to tell anyone.

imo

Gma said the girls asked to go for a bike ride. But were the girls before this already just riding back and forth on their street? Meaning out on there bikes already before asking to go for a bike ride?

I know you have a link and a quote but I just dont think this is accurate. At least the take away the reporter is giving is not accurate. It sounds like he saw the bikes and then immediately went to the PD to report it. Why would he do that when the girls weren't even reported missing yet? Not questioning TG as much as how MSM changes things for the sake of sentence structure, not realizing that they are changing the meaning; which often leads to our confusion here on WS.

Very good points. I don't think he reported it until Monday, based on other articles I've seen. This case has seriously opened my eyes about how much the reporting or wording in a story can skew perceptions.

I don't think the girls ever went back home either. However, I don't find it odd that the girls would open a cold drink only to leave it to go bike riding. It's like a tee-shirt I once saw: I have ADHD.... oh look there goes a chicken. I do think the grandmother did see them around the time of the camera stamp, but from one picture of the camera did it not show the Collins' house in the background? Could be the grandmother had a perfect little view of where the girls usually rode, looked out and saw them from a distance and thought they were coming home? She goes back in the house and realizes a little later, "Wait the girls aren't here yet. I just saw them." Then she begins to panic.

ETA: Never mind. She saw them in the back of Lederman's.

Very good points. I don't think he reported it until Monday, based on other articles I've seen. This case has seriously opened my eyes about how much the reporting or wording in a story can skew perceptions.

Yep. I agree.

In the Evansdale case, Breault said the dogs had indicated the girls’ scent was in the area near Meyers Lake.

“The scent did lead to the water, which is also where their bikes were found,” she said.
http://thegazette.com/2012/07/19/officials-stop-draining-evansdales-meyers-lake-at-fbis-request/

The quote by Breault makes me think the bikes were found by the lake and not on the trail. It says that article was last updated July 19th.

Yes, but if you make a call on it, is the time recorded for billing set by ATT or by how you personally set the time? I would think the ping on the cell towers is what determines the time a call was actually made, not what you program yourself...otherwise, one could set your phone hours off and make calls that show up on different days even...MOO

I don't know but I suspect that it is AT&T time and not device time. This is important for Mr G timing, but for Mr P time, there was no call to reference.

Edit: trying to remove this thumbs down icon that I accidentally hit while posting on my phone. I certainly didn't mean thumbs down to anyone.

This is so frustrating! These kids should be shopping for back to school stuff and getting excited about the new school year. I can't wait until the monster who stole this from them, caught and put behind bars. No new, no news, no news. The never ending story. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking