IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I have always told my daughter (17 now) that if she is going to die, may as well be by the gun the perp is holding on her outside of the car, because once she gets IN the car, her death will not be as clean as a gunshot wound and likely will involve horrendous acts first. Nice conversation to have, right?

BBM - no, but a smart one I think. I think it would be incredibly hard to do just because you'd be so shocked and panicked, but I think the message is really important. Don't EVER get in the vehicle if you can help it.

Someone had mentioned earlier that whoever took the girls could have been someone MCM met in jail or the halfway house. They could have had a grudge against her or maybe a boyfriend who is a pedofile.

Someone had mentioned earlier that whoever took the girls could have been someone MCM met in jail or the halfway house. They could have had a grudge against her or maybe a boyfriend who is a pedofile.

When the CNN reporter briefly posted here, that was one of the questions I had for him ... whether the father may have met someone in jail. IRRC, that question was put to the father and the answer was no. If I could remember the reporter's name, I could search for his response ... anyone remember his name?

BBM - no, but a smart one I think. I think it would be incredibly hard to do just because you'd be so shocked and panicked, but I think the message is really important. Don't EVER get in the vehicle if you can help it.

Still, when faced with the option of potentially being injured on the spot, or hopefully getting away later ... even adults make the wrong choice. It's an innate self-preservation choice, but in the big picture, it's still the wrong choice.

I am reminded of Dru Sjodin. She was on the phone with her boyfriend, walking through a parking lot in the late afternoon, when she was confronted by a monster. He had a knife, and the sheath was found at the abduction location. There was blood in his vehicle, so obviously he used the knife. If a child resists an abduction, the result may be the same ... injury, then vanishing.

I live near a medium-sized city, which is surrounded by lots of rural areas, etc. Today, driving down a major highway, I looked out on fields and pastures separated by fencelines within properties and realized how really easy it would be to lose someone on someone's private property (i.e., where there was no public foot or bike traffic)..just miles of land with cross fence. It was really disconcerting, because there are areas of land where even owners never venture. It made me really sad. I pray they get a break in this case soon, and that it is a good one ending with their safe return.

If we shift the times a little and the girls were last seen at about 12:11, bikes were seen at about 12:24, what does that tell us?

It suggests to me that:

1. the girls were grabbed behind the Auction Shop and their bikes were immediately ditched, or
2. the girls rode like the wind, walked through the gate, and were along the shore when the cyclist rode by.

If they were grabbed behind the Auction Shop and their bikes were ditched, then someone familiar with the area had a plan before grabbing the girls - possibly something that festered in his head for a long time. If the bikes were ditched after driving a short distance down Maiden Lane, either there were two perps, one to watch the girls while the other ditched the bikes, or there was one perp and a weapon (like a stun gun).

If the girls rode like the wind and went immediately to the shore on the SE tip of the lake, then it had to be pre-planned, in my opinion. Given that Lyric was in trouble for being late only four days earlier, the girls knew that the grandmother had an appointment, and they'd poured their juice for quick sip & dash trips, I'm doubtful that they rode their bikes to the lake. It seems like the less likely of the two options.

Either way, it seems that there was a plan in place, that the girls were targets (opportunistic or otherwise), and clearly there was nothing they could do to get away.

Still, when faced with the option of potentially being injured on the spot, or hopefully getting away later ... even adults make the wrong choice. It's an innate self-preservation choice, but in the big picture, it's still the wrong choice.

<snipped for space>

That's true for sure. I think it would be incredibly difficult when faced with the actual situation to basically say "go ahead, shoot me." A little bit easier IMO if you still had the option to run figuring that they might miss... but still very difficult.

I live near a medium-sized city, which is surrounded by lots of rural areas, etc. Today, driving down a major highway, I looked out on fields and pastures separated by fencelines within properties and realized how really easy it would be to lose someone on someone's private property (i.e., where there was no public foot or bike traffic)..just miles of land with cross fence. It was really disconcerting, because there are areas of land where even owners never venture. It made me really sad. I pray they get a break in this case soon, and that it is a good one ending with their safe return.

Morgan Harrington's body was found in a farmer's field when he checked his fences three months after she disappeared. This is what her father (medical doctor) said:

&#8220;I am concerned and determined that he be caught for safety reasons, because this was not the first bad thing that this man did. Abduction and murder is not your entry level into a life of crime,&#8221; Harrington told TODAY&#8217;s Meredith Vieira"

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35141...who-killed-college-student-morgan-harrington/

When the CNN reporter briefly posted here, that was one of the questions I had for him ... whether the father may have met someone in jail. IRRC, that question was put to the father and the answer was no. If I could remember the reporter's name, I could search for his response ... anyone remember his name?

I believe his name is Jim Spellman. But I read it more than five minutes ago, so who knows? My memory is as old as the rest of me, unfortunately.

I think if it were someone DM met in jail, that person would have been investigated. The problem with that is that if the hypothetical inmate was that obvious about it, DM would have turned over the name ASAP. But what if it wasn't obvious? What if the guy didn't make it onto DM's radar at all?

I can't imagine that DM gave the name of every single inmate and every single visitor.

That's what I'm really afraid of, that the perp is someone who had such a casual, below the radar connection to someone in any of the families, that they have gone unremarked on. The closer the connection between perp and victim(s), the easier and more likely the crime is to be solved. The hardest crimes to solve are the ones with no known connection between the perp and victim(s).

I believe his name is Jim Spellman. But I read it more than five minutes ago, so who knows? My memory is as old as the rest of me, unfortunately.

I think if it were someone DM met in jail, that person would have been investigated. The problem with that is that if the hypothetical inmate was that obvious about it, DM would have turned over the name ASAP. But what if it wasn't obvious? What if the guy didn't make it onto DM's radar at all?

I can't imagine that DM gave the name of every single inmate and every single visitor.

That's what I'm really afraid of, that the perp is someone who had such a casual, below the radar connection to someone in any of the families, that they have gone unremarked on. The closer the connection between perp and victim(s), the easier and more likely the crime is to be solved. The hardest crimes to solve are the ones with no known connection between the perp and victim(s).

Thanks. The below post is what I was thinking about. I assumed that the father would have considered people he met in all his walks of life when he responded to the first question:

Q-Can Daniel think of anyone that may have been too interested in his daughter?

I asked, he said no.

Q - Did he show pictures of her to someone of questionable character?

I don&#8217;t know.

Q-Did his daughter have unrestricted access to the computer at his home?

Lyric was living with grandma&#8230;but to the computer question I don&#8217;t know.

Post #727
IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #3 - Page 30 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

That's true for sure. I think it would be incredibly difficult when faced with the actual situation to basically say "go ahead, shoot me." A little bit easier IMO if you still had the option to run figuring that they might miss... but still very difficult.

I think almost everyone, perhaps excluding people highly trained in military self-discipline, would comply when faced with the threat of injury.

Are there hog farms in/near the Waterloo area?

I'm not sleuthing anyone, nor do I even have anyone in mind, I was just curious.

TIA

Are there hog farms in/near the Waterloo area?

I'm not sleuthing anyone, nor do I even have anyone in mind, I was just curious.

TIA

I am reminded of Robert Pickton - pig farmer. He lured prostitutes to the parties that were held on the property, and there was speculation that the victims were ultimately processed into the food industry. Very few body parts were found.

There are hog farms (CAFOs) all over Iowa. You'll often hear that there are more pigs than people here.

I do occasionally still see old-fashioned pig pens but generally, the buildings where the pigs are kept aren't that accessible.

Let's face it guys.... We're stuck. And I hope to hell LE isn't!!!

Let's face it guys.... We're stuck. And I hope to hell LE isn't!!!

Recent reports are that even though little information is released to the public, they are still very actively searching for the girls. They are obviously interviewing people and asking them to take lie detector tests. The last I read was that they raided a property.

Recent reports are that even though little information is released to the public, they are still very actively searching for the girls. They are obviously interviewing people and asking them to take lie detector tests. The last I read was that they raided a property.

That's great to hear. I haven't read this information.

I am reminded of Robert Pickton - pig farmer. He lured prostitutes to the parties that were held on the property, and there was speculation that the victims were ultimately processed into the food industry. Very few body parts were found.

Thinking about Pickton is what led me to ask about pig/hog farms near Waterloo. In an article i read about him, it stated that pigs will eat every part of a body, which makes it an almost perfect way to dispose of a corpse. JMO

I certainly have nothing to even remotely indicate that a pig farm is involved in any way, but I got tired of thinking about bikes and paddleboats so started thinking in other directions.

That's great to hear. I haven't read this information.

I should be more diligent and copy the quote and link as soon as I see it, but instead I think I'll find it later if I need it ... and then can't find it. I'll keep looking ... it's somewhere in my search history.

That's good to hear ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member