IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might not be accusing her of anything (and as someone who has lurked for years and posted infrequently, I usually admire your thoughts)...yet the lingering on Mom's demeanor (on many poster's parts) comes across as being accusatory. If anyone honestly does not believe a parent had anything to do with this, the discussion about said parent's behavior is irrelevant and adds nothing to the subject at hand (ie, where are these girls). IMO.

Her post didn't come across that way to me. This happens here all the time, whenever a family is interviewed their demeanor is discussed. I did not see the interview myself but unless a mod tells us not to discuss the demeanor of the family it's probably going to be discussed. We all want the girls to be brought home safely.

Has anyone seen Misty's interview with Andrew Cooper? It is her 'smiliest' one yet. Maybe she just automatically smiles when she is nervous---but it is a very odd demeanor for someone whose little girl is missing under frightening circumstances. She was talking about being in a cramped interview room for 11 hours and smiling and grinning about how hard it was---it made me wince a bit. I know this is a victim friendly forum, and I am not accusing her of anything. I am just curious about her apparent lack of urgency or severe grief. Maybe it just does not show on her the way it does on many others.

Katy, I find your comments concerning Misty interesting and valid. People handle stress, grief, worry, etc. differently. Discussing this in a non accusatory manner is interesting IMO.

Well that photo shouldn't be taken anything serious - the authorities probably would know more if that was the case.

That being said,
1) they are old
2) it was sunny
3) they have a cooler to help out the volunteers who are thristy
4) what do they do when the volunteers are searching - you have to sit and wait - that's exactly what they are doing.

They are just little optimistic - that's all nothing serious.

Here is a short interview by Elizabeth's parents.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...Parents-missing-Iowa-girl-speak-out-Evansdale

And here is a youtube of the JVM from tonight
Lyric Cook Age 10 & Elizabeth Collins Age 8: 7/16/12 - YouTube

ETA: I think this is PattyG's youtube channel. If so, thanks PattyG! :)

The beginning of this JVM show has the sheriff saying that grandma last saw the kids at 12:15pm. How did the time get changed to 11:30 and why didn't they tell the sheriff about the time change?

You might not be accusing her of anything (and as someone who has lurked for years and posted infrequently, I usually admire your thoughts)...yet the lingering on Mom's demeanor (on many poster's parts) comes across as being accusatory. If anyone honestly does not believe a parent had anything to do with this, the discussion about said parent's behavior is irrelevant and adds nothing to the subject at hand (ie, where are these girls). IMO.

I am not accusing her of anything. I am just wondering why she seems so breezy and calm in the interviews that I saw. Usually mothers seem very distraught and grief stricken. Rarely do they smile so much in an interview about their missing child. I am not saying she did anything, but it does make me wonder if she knows something we don't. I saw other posts that mentioned this demeanor, and ignored it. But when I saw two interviews today myself, I was really struck by the smiling and grinning. The only way I can explain it is that perhaps nervousness makes her smile.

The beginning of this JVM show has the sheriff saying that grandma last saw the kids at 12:15pm. How did the time get changed to 11:30 and why didn't they tell the sheriff about the time change?

I'm just watching it now for the first time, but based on comments from other posters when it first aired, I believe that comes up later, when the aunt speaks.

I wish we had a timeline for all the different timelines.

Wondered about that too...

There are posted no swimming signs. It's not a lake Ive every seen anyone swimming in. I would think if you were going to try swimming in it, you would do it from the dock/boat ramp side. Though I've never seen anyone swim there.

I think they re draining the lake becau they have no other idea as to what happened to the girls so not only will this make them really sure but it'll keep the public aware that they are doing something at least.

Thanks for the local view! It does look like a very nasty place to go swimming... if desparate maybe and maybe the water's normally higher? But if this is a recent pic, yuck, I woudln't want to jump into that.

5004b7829a5c6.image.jpg

Vicki Weikert, right, grandmother of Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Weikert's sister Carolyn Johnson, left, sit out by Meyers Lake the last place known whereabouts of ten-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and cousin eight-year-old Elizabeth Collins, who disappeared last Friday, Monday, July 16, 2012, in Evansdale, Iowa. (MATTHEW PUTNEY / Courier Photo Editor)

WHY DOES THIS JUST SEEM SO ODD TO ME???? Just lounging out?:what:

The time 11:30am is an absolute certain time that the girls were allright because that's when they left the home (i think - because her aunt says that time is certain that they were okay)

12:15pm might be an approximate time when her grandma (went out and) looked where the girls where and saw them closeby - may be that's how this time came up.

I can see where it looks like the picture above looks like they are just kickin' it. The woman on the right has a sunburn brewing on her arm. The other woman looks like she's tanner but hot. The guy at the left on the other side of that woman looks hungry. It's 3 days.

Also, grabbing a shot like that can be misleading. If there was a series of pictures of beer & a party, I'd be screaming. They may have all just cried? Who knows at this point. jmo

we've never heard if they had lunch prior to going out...would they have had money for an ice cream or coke? There is DQ close by. Never have heard either if any of the other sibs were out riding bikes or playing. I believe each girl has an older brother.

I did catch in the JVM that Heather siad Lyric wore her sleep clothes ( bright green shirt?)over to Elizabeth's house ,when she rode over with grandma that morning....thus some confusion over what she was wearing.

If they were really bike riding from 11 :30 a.m. to around 2 :30 p.m. in that heat, they would have become seriously thirsty...wonder if they had any $$ on them to buy soda or juice ? Where would have been the closest store to buy something to drink ?

I watched the JVM interview with the parents again, the one thing that struck me was the purse and cell phone being left behind. Kids and teens don't go anywhere without their phones. Could the girls have been frightened by someone and dropped phone running away? Any word about footprints being found near the bikes?

Originally Posted by mrsu
Misty and Daniel - Lyric's parents

mom was at work, gas station, gma called and said she couldn't find the girls.

bikes discovered abt 4pm. purse and cell phone abt 20ft away

when dad got there, abt 5pm, dad has no idea how bikes were positioned. bikes were going west on trail. dad didn't know purse was 20ft away. dad says they haven't received any updates.

Wonder which gas station she works at? In Evansdale or Waterloo?

This question came from the first discussion forum... according to the JVM interview, the mother stated that she was getting off work and only a few (four?)blocks away. This would place her at the Casey's in Evansdale, which is at the intersection of Evans and Lafayette Roads. This is kitty-corner, and one block east of Lederman's Big and Tall, both located on Lafayette Road.

There is another Casey's location in Evansdale, which is on the West side of the town.

I find it hard to believe that the girls were taken against their will from the spot where the bikes were found. It seems too risky a spot to plan an abduction - parking on the highway would be noticed immediately, the trail itself is apparently used quite a bit - maybe you can drag two girls off without being seen but why risk it when there are undoubtedly other spots where you are less likely to be seen?

The same holds true of ditching the bikes there after abducting the girls elsewhere.

The most likely scenario that I can envision is that they drowned. They rode their bikes out to the lake, it was hot, and they wanted to cool off. Perhaps they chose the secluded spot because they knew there was no swimming in the lake, and they didn't want to be seen? They laid the bikes down or perhaps leaned them against the fence and walked around the end of the fence to the water. The purse is set where it (and the phone) won't get wet. Maybe they initially only planned to splash some water on themselves or wade a little.

They go in a little deeper than they intended - maybe one gets the idea of walking out to the rocks. If the lake bottom is muddy flip-flops or even shoes could easily get stuck in the mud. I'm under the impression that this area is where the culverts (?) are that connect to the river? If so, that could create currents - they might not be strong now, but they could be during seasonal melt-off or storms - that could cause the lake bed to drop off abruptly and unexpectedly. One step the water is knee-deep, the next over a child's head.

Reportedly both girls could swim, but were they strong swimmers? Swimming in a controlled area while wearing bathing suits is different than suddenly ending up over your head while wearing clothes and shoes - and maybe getting a mouth full of water. One girl tries to help the other, and..... :(

If the lake isn't used for swimming, there's probably a reason for it.

The mom who seems to 'smile too much' and is 'too calm' may also be on blood pressure medicine...that keeps you VERY calm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez