IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I follow this case all the way over here in Aus, is somebody able to pretty please tell me what the time difference is here and there? I want to be able to be on here for the 4pm press release (hoping that there will be some lovely transcribers in action!), cause I'm useless with time zones and the differences :(

I'm terrible with time zones also .... I'm in Iowa now, and it is 12:36 am - central time. Does that help you at all? So, the 4 pm presser will be in about 15.5 hours from now.

Because I follow this case all the way over here in Aus, is somebody able to pretty please tell me what the time difference is here and there? I want to be able to be on here for the 4pm press release (hoping that there will be some lovely transcribers in action!), cause I'm useless with time zones and the differences :(
Sydney is 17:0 hours ahead of Des Moines. That means when it is 1:00 am (midnight) in Des Moines, it is 6:00 pm in Sydney (same calendar day).

I looked up the time difference between Sydney Aus. (5:38pm Thursday) and CST (12:38am Thursday) (That is both my local time and IA local time), it is currently a 17 hour time differential, I believe. If someone else can confirm that math for me, that would be awesome.

ETA: Looks like Copper confirmed that before me. Thanks!

I've found this link to be helpful http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
I can't remember who posted it.....but thanks!!

Waking up to such heartbreaking news, thinking of those beautiful girls and their families at this awful time :-(

So the person that did this is mobile, knows Evandale well and may know about accessing the lake via Maiden Lane, and he knows the backroads. He may even be familiar with the nearby golf course. I'm not convinced that he is an outdoors person, but clearly someone that know routes to remote spots around the lakes and rivers.

sevenbridgeremoteroads.jpg

Thank you so much to LaylaD, copper, Saribellla and LaborDayRN for responding to my post. It is very much appreciated :)

About 9 AM for you ... the next day?

What, if anything, does the fact that the girls' bodies were found in the same location indicate about the perp.? Could that tell us anything about the circumstances of their deaths? To me, it seems that they were taken to be murdered.

Are those waterfalls/rapids in the Wapsie River?

270st7bridgepark.jpg

I wonder if that article made a typo in the time the bodies were reported to LE, since every other media report I've read said 12:45 pm.

Or wait, both times could be correct. I see now that the KWWL article specifies that the bodies were found at 12:15 pm and the other reports I've read said the bodies were reported at 12:45 pm.

In any case, I doubt the train victim is connected to this case; I think it's just a very sad coincidence.

What, if anything, does the fact that the girls' bodies were found in the same location indicate about the perp.? Could that tell us anything about the circumstances of their deaths? To me, it seems that they were taken to be murdered.

It suggests to me that they were kidnapped together, taken to that location and murdered ... together ... before the sun went down. He had a 3 hour head start before anyone knew for sure that something was wrong, and it was a 45 minute drive.

At about 11:30 AM, they vanished and at 3:50 PM (bikes), maybe police called it a kidnapping. Still, no police tape until the next day, and then the lake draining to rule out accidental drowning ... as long as the perp felt that he could get away with it, he may have kept the girls alive. As soon as there was a risk of getting caught ... wrong place, wrong time, and two bodies in the area ... I think it would have been all over. Did that happen at 3:50? Maybe later? Do people like this have some sort of scanner in the vehicle to track when police realize that a child has been kidnapped?

It is also a very secluded spot, so there would be less risk of getting caught. The photographer that left the 11 year old in the wilderness with grizzlies kidnapped her in the morning close to noon (IIRC) and left her when the sun was pretty much gone - after 6 pm. He took her to a secluded spot ... similarly secluded.

Here's another part of the park, a bit to the east and south of the other map ... where's the bridge? Does this road cross the river and if so, where?

sevenwheresthebridge.jpg

I am not sure why there is no bridge but I have a guess.

If you look at the river, it makes lots of zigs and zags in that area. Rivers with that sort of course often change course frequently in time, as well. At some point, there was probably a bridge but the river changed course, wiped out the bridge and there wasn't enough traffic to justify replacing it.

I know of three places in my area like that, including the former approach to my own place from the west. The creek in that area twists back and forth, the bridge went out two years ago and it hasn't been replaced yet.

Iowa was originally laid out on the Jeffersonian Grid approach with some type of road bordering every square mile. Time sorted out which roads were practical to maintain and which were not.

I'm not certain if the perp wanted to murder his victims or if the perp wanted to do something else and then killed the victims to evade arrest.

One thing I am sure of: just like the location of the abduction, the place where the bodies were found screams local knowledge.

I am not sure why there is no bridge but I have a guess.

If you look at the river, it makes lots of zigs and zags in that area. Rivers with that sort of course often change course frequently in time, as well. At some point, there was probably a bridge but the river changed course, wiped out the bridge and there wasn't enough traffic to justify replacing it.

I know of three places in my area like that, including the former approach to my own place from the west. The creek in that area twists back and forth, the bridge went out two years ago and it hasn't been replaced yet.

Iowa was originally laid out on the Jeffersonian Grid approach with some type of road bordering every square mile. Time sorted out which roads were practical to maintain and which were not.

Thanks. I guess they were taken to an area West of where the bridge is missing, so more likely down the road that loops, near the falls.

I haven't posted but I've followed along quite often. Sadly this is what I expected, and I am thankful it wasn't years before they were found.

FruitTingles, Otto is correct, will be 9a for you, 17 hrs ahead.

Are those waterfalls/rapids in the Wapsie River?

270st7bridgepark.jpg

No natural waterfalls or rapids (this is Iowa we're talking about) but there are several dams along the Wapsipinicon River.

There are also places where the DNR has dumped riprap in the past to try to stabilise cut banks on curves. Towards the right side of the picture, you can clearly see rip rap on the banks. That area by the left side looks more like a dam, though, than riprap.

I found a pdf that has the dams marked on it:

http://www.crawdaddyoutdoors.com/River Maps/Water Trail final.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads