IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there still nothing official? Even if they would reveal the autopsy results you think they'd confirm it was the girls.

Something just occurred to me.

The lawn watering man may not have been the only person to report seeing the girls. Witnesses go to the media of their own accord, LE doesn't usually release their names.

I've long believed that if I were in some way a witness to a crime, I wouldn't out myself to the media. For many reasons, not least of which is it seems to me to be darned inconvenient! I mean, those media people, they call people. On the telephone! I'm the person who thinks an iTouch is perfect because it doesn't have that pesky phone feature.

And what suddenly occurred to me is this: what if the lawn watering man was never given credence by LE but they had some other witness who placed the girls on Gilbert around the same time?

Would that change anyone's theory of the crime?

If a credible witness had seen the girls closer to the 3:00 time previously stated by the lawn watering man (before his wife corrected him), then yes, it would definitely change my theory. Because my theory relies upon the perp completing the abduction and being back in time to avoid possible suspicion.

ETA: In my theory, the perp would be back by 4:00 in order to participate in searching for the girls. His/her/their absence would have been noted, thereby arousing suspicion. JMO

To the mod who weighs in on the child molester question I alerted on. I am sorry. I read the fine print beneath the alert box after hitting send. I will use pm in future.

Do you have links? You mentioned newspaper articles. Are they recent or from 2005? Thank you!

Yes, but since he has not been mentioned in MSM as a suspect yet, it seems I am not allowed to post links. It didn't take much detective work once I had public information about the towns this person lived in to see if there was also any criminal activity beyond the child molestation. I'm not accusing anyone, just information that is public anyway.

If a credible witness had seen the girls closer to the 3:00 time previously stated by the lawn watering man (before his wife corrected him), then yes, it would definitely change my theory. Because my theory relies upon the perp completing the abduction and being back in time to avoid possible suspicion.

ETA: In my theory, the perp would be back by 4:00 in order to participate in searching for the girls. His/her/their absence would have been noted, thereby arousing suspicion. JMO

Yes, neighbor... IMHO I couldn't agree more!

Yes, but since he has not been mentioned in MSM as a suspect yet, it seems I am not allowed to post links. It didn't take much detective work once I had public information about the towns this person lived in to see if there was also any criminal activity beyond the child molestation. I'm not accusing anyone, just information that is public anyway.

I understand.

Yes.. may I post them then? Some are from 2005 when he was in Readlynbeing held on kidnapping charges.. didn't have time yet to look for a conviction yet.

New Rules on Sex Offenders and Rumors - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
RULES ON SEX OFFENDERS. WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT DO ON WEBSLEUTHS
It seems there is a legal consideration concerning whether we are allowed to bring information to Websleuths from the actual sex offender registry.
It is illegal to use the sex offender register information to harass anyone. We would never condone this at Websleuths.

It is not illegal (in my opinion) if when a child goes missing or is harmed we look at the sex offenders in the area and post their information, along with maps to show how close they live to the victim.
In every case we have local people reading and posting here. Therefore we are within the guidelines using this info for local information.

Again, we are not EVER going to even hint at harassing anyone on the sex offenders list. Any posting we do about a sex offender will always be within the law.

I think it should be fine posting the info chelsea.

Ima

Thank you Imamaze.

So how about those links Chelsea?

Please and thank you :)

It seems to me that if they were placed side by side, rather than end to end some distance apart, they would have been a lot easier to find.[/quote]
############################################################

BBM - My thoughts exactly.

And, my guess would be that the hunters (and others who might have gone through earlier) could have walked within 3 Ft. of either little body and not seen them.

IMO walking through high weeds can leave, temporarily, a noticeable path of bent down grasses. Perhaps that too could have caused perp to place bodies in two different places thinking that re-walking the same path would make it even more noticeable.

A poster mentioned (forgive me, I have forgotten who) that she has a summer cabin in the area and that it is common to catch a whiff of creatures "returning to the earth" in that dense underbrush off the hiking paths.

Therefore, the odor of decomp would probably not raise any concerns for people walking close by (if anyone was) and would probably not cause anyone to go searching for the source.

I think the girls have been there since shortly after they were killed and lay there all summer. I think the perp never had any other plan for disposing of them, knowing the elements and passage of time would take care of any trace evidence.

I do hope he was wrong, though.

He claimed that he saw Elizabeth every evening riding to the lake, but I would rather hear from her parents that she was away riding her bike every evening. Lyric lived in Waterloo and would not have been riding bikes in the area at all. She was visiting that day because Elizabeth's mother had just started working, and the grandmother, with whom Lyric lived, was watching Heather's children.

First off, Mr. C could easily have been mistaken over the sighting on that particular day if he did feel he saw Elizabeth ride by there "almost every day." No fault there, he intended to help. (BTW, his wife was gone all that time, so she could not have seen them)
IIRC, as to Heather that day, she was at a doctor's appointment, not 'working,' and even children might be a bit anxious as to the outcome of that appointment, making it even more likely that the girls would stick closer to home that day, waiting for Mom/Aunt Heather's return. WC (and Lyric) were daily visitors, as WC stated, to help Heather out with the kids due to her heart condition, but that day was "unusual" due to that appointment, leaving WC as sole "kid watcher."

I highly doubt those girls were ever near Meyers Lake that day, on their own. That the bikes and purse were staged, and Mr. C was simply confused as to seeing what he thought was a "regular thing" that day. Despite LEs alluding later on to "other eye witnesses" near there, no one else stepped forward early on to collaborate Mr C's sighting, only (MAYBE) later. Doubtful, at best, IMHO.

I still don't think thats a credible sighting. The lawn watering guy is who they are referring to and he oriiginally said between 12:30 and 3:00. He also said that they did that a lot. But I'm pretty sure that Elizabeth had a tighter leash, and her parents would not have allowed it. This sighting was ignored for a long time. I don't think LE is convinced its credible either.

Rick Abben, chief deputy, is the source for the girls being seen between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert Dr. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.

They were specifically looking at the Gilbert and Elmer area, not the area near the lawn watering man, which was 3 blocks away.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-missing-2-months-authorities-plead-for-help/

Ahhh... We're perhaps coming from different times/places. From my memories of childhood, one of the beauties and pure joys of attics was that they weren't cleaned up... a child's treasure trove of dusty old trunks, boxes, etc. to explore and ancient clothes to dress up in and wear for tea parties away from the general household traffic...
lol. Me too. However, after much too much effort trying to get the point across with my children, grandchildren, and foster children, I gave up. It would be wonderful if the items stayed where they were put (same room) but, sadly, they just couldn't/wouldn't do it. I am ready to put key locks on the toy room too.

Rick Abben, chief deputy, is the source for the girls being seen between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert Dr. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.

They were specifically looking at the Gilbert and Elmer area, not the area near the lawn watering man, which was 3 blocks away.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-missing-2-months-authorities-plead-for-help/

Not meaning to be argumentative here at all, but...". We have information that the girls were seen approximately 12:23 p.m. on Brovan Blvd. and between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert DR. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.” That statement does sound as if he IS referring to Mr C's claims, and that the direction he thought the girls were headed in, without stopping to chat/say hello, btw, was toward the Meyers Lake park entrance.
Eye witnesses, sadly, are notorious for being wrong, even with the best intentions. It's possible the girls were down there, but I personally still maintain there is no reliable proof they were.

In Iowa, we have winter and road construction season (which includes repairs; with a road bordering every square mile of the state, there's a lot of repairs).

In Louisiana we have Hot, Africa Hot and Tarzan Couldn't Take This Kind of Hot. (Thank you, Neil Simon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorthernMIguy